Our latest collection of Hanukkah quotes and sayings to celebrate life.
Hanukkah, also known as the Festival of Lights, is a Jewish festival that commemorates the miracle of light in the Temple in Jerusalem.
Share your favorite Hanukkah memories with us in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these Hanukkah quotes?
The eight-day festival involves food, prayer, dance, donation, oil, giving, and remembrance.
Hannukah lasts for eight nights in December.
Hanukkah lights remind us to never be afraid to stand up for what’s right and to always increase in matters of goodness.
A little light goes a long way, and a candle of Godly goodness can serve as a beacon of hope for those navigating the dark passages of their lives.
The most widely celebrated and enjoyed Jewish holiday, Hanukkah is a great opportunity to give thanks for all of life’s miracles.
In that regard, here are some uplifting Hanukkah quotes and sayings to:
- inspire you as you celebrate the concept of light and illumination
- help rededicate yourself to your faith
- help you find joy in the season and your family
Check out these December quotes, too!
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
Hanukkah Quotes and Sayings To Celebrate Life
1. “The darkness of the whole world cannot swallow the glowing of a candle.” – Robert Altinger
2. “We light candles in testament that faith makes miracles possible.” — Nachum Braverman
You will also enjoy our article on candle quotes.
3. “Hanukkah is about the spark of the divine in all of us made in God’s image.” — Suzanne Fields
You will also enjoy our article on Pennywise quotes.
4. “To me every hour of the light and dark is a miracle, every cubic inch of space is a miracle.” – Walt Whitman
5. “May the light illuminate your hearts and shine in your life every day of the year. May everlasting peace be yours and upon our Earth.” ― Eileen Anglin
You will also enjoy our article on happy holidays quotes.
6. “There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” – Edith Wharton
7. “The miracle, of course, was not that the oil for the sacred light – in a little cruse – lasted as long as they say; but that the courage of the Maccabees lasted to this day: let that nourish my flickering spirit.” — Charles Reznikoff
8. “At this time of year, when the sun is most hidden, the holiday of Hanukkah celebrates the rays of hope and light. Often, it is through simple and unrecognized miracles that we are able to feel the warmth of hope and light.” ― Rafael Goldstein
9. “The proper response, as Hanukkah teaches, is not to curse the darkness but to light a candle.” – Irving Greenberg
10. “Just as Hanukkah candles are lighted one by one from a single flame, so the tale of the miracle is passed from one man to another, from one house to another, and to the whole House of Israel throughout the generations.” – Judah Leon Magnes
You will also enjoy our article on light quotes.
Hanukkah Quotes and Sayings to inspire you this holiday season
11. “Blessed is the match consumed in kindling flame. Blessed is the flame that burns in the secret fastness of the heart.” – Hannah Senesh
12. “The spirit of Hanukkah, the Festival of Lights, is shared by all people who love freedom.”― Norma Simon
13. “May love and light fill your home and heart at Hanukkah.” ~ Unknown
14. “A candle is a small thing. But one candle can light another. And see how its own light increases, as a candle gives its flame to the other. You are such a light.” — Moshe Davis
15. “Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.” –Anne Frank
16. “Eight days the light continued on its own: A miracle, they say, but not more so Than ordinary lives of flesh and bone, Consuming wicks burned ashen long ago” —Nicholas Gordon
17. “Religion is a candle inside a multicolored lantern. Everyone looks through a particular color, but the candle is always there.” – Mohammed Naguib
18. “I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.” —Jewish Proverb
19. “On Hanukkah, some people ask: why couldn’t we light all eight candles in one night instead of having to light a new one for each of eight nights? It is because Hanukkah is not merely a cause for celebrations; it is a trial of perseverance.” – Simon Nguyen
20. “We cannot hold a torch to light another’s path without brightening our own.” – Ben Sweetland
Hanukkah quotes and sayings to illuminate your life
21. “Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.” ~Buddha
22. “May the lights of Hanukkah usher in a better world for all humankind.” – Unknown
23. “On Hanukkah, the first dark night, light yourself a candle bright. I’ll you, if you will me invite, to dance within that gentle light.” — Nicholas Gordon
24. “Still ours the dance, the feast, the glorious psalm; the mystic lights of emblem, and the word.” — Emma Lazarus
25. “A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.” – James Keller
26. “No wonder God chose this dark land to send prophets to, for a candle only shines in the dark.” – Rami Ollaik
27. “When life seems to put out every light you have, It is better to light a candle than to complain about the darkness.” – Unknown
28. “Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.”—Chinese Proverb
29. “Hanukkah is…the festival of lights, instead of one day of presents, we get eight crazy nights.” – Adam Sandler
30. ‘Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.’ – Anthony J D’Angelo
Hanukkah quotes and sayings for remembering an important holiday
31. “When we share something material, we are left with less of what we started. But currencies of spirit, elements such as light, love and knowledge, defy these physical conditions—they increase as they are shared and become eternal. On Chanukah when we use one flame to light another, the glow is not halved – the light is multiplied.” – Micaela Ezra
32. “There always were two ways to live in a world that is often dark and full of tears. We can curse the darkness or we can light a light, and as the Chassidim say, a little light drives out much darkness. May we all help light up the world.” – Rabbi Jonathan Sacks Z
33. “But I also say this: that light is an invitation to happiness, and that happiness, when it’s done right, is a kind of holiness, palpable and redemptive.” – Mary Oliver
34. “Sometimes, a flame can be utterly extinguished. Sometimes, a flame can shrink and waver, but sometimes a flame refuses to go out. It flares up from the faintest ember to illuminate the darkness, to burn in spite of overwhelming odds.” – Karen Hesse
35. “The lights of the Hanukkah menorah that we kindle in our homes are a reminder both of the Menorah in the Temple in Jerusalem and the light that shines brightly within each one of us. For as it says in Proverbs 20:27: The candle of G-d is the soul of man.” – Libi Astaire
36. “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” – Albert Einstein
37. “I like the size of the Hanukkah miracle; no parting of red seas, just a story about finding extra oil when you didn’t think had any and you really needed it and all the stores were closed. That’s the kind of miracle with which I am familiar, along with the miracle of good food and feeding people I love.” – Anita Diamant
38. “Even in darkness it is possible to create light and encourage compassion.” – Elie Wiesel
39. “A little bit of light dispels a lot of darkness.” – Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi
40. “This Chanukah, the menorah will once again see light. And as I and my family light it, we will say a special prayer in honor of those whose memories it represents. We will not let its lights go out again.” – Dr. Blair P. Grubb
Hanukkah Quotes and Saying To Light The Fire in You
41. “It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
42. “There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” — Leonard Cohen
43. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
44. “Even our misfortunes are a part of our belongings.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupery
45. “The commandment to light the Hanukkah lamp is an exceedingly precious one, and one should be particularly careful to fulfill it. In order to make known the miracle, and to offer additional praise … to God for the Wonders which He has wrought for us.” — Maimonides
46. “Put on your yarmulke, here comes Hanukkah. So much funukah.” — Adam Sandler
47. “On this lovely, lovely Hanukkah, drink your gin and tonica.” — Adam Sandler
48. “Polishing my dreidel and searching for oil. Chanukah sameach, everybody.” — Harry Styles
49. “Birds sing after a storm; why shouldn’t people feel as free to delight in whatever remains to them?” — Rose Kennedy
50. Is not Hanukkah a symbol of Israel, and its light a symbol of his immortality? — Leo Jung
Hanukkah quotes to celebrate the season
51. “This is the season when people of all faiths and cultures are pushing back against the planetary darkness. We string bulbs, ignite bonfires, and light candles. And we sing.”—Anita Diamant
52. “Give light and people will find the way.” – Ella Baker
53. “And just like that, like a simple neighborhood event, a miracle is taking place.”—Mary Oliver
54. “Know that darkness is merely the absence of light. You can be the small candle that defeats the vast darkness.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
55. “Never ear shadows. They simply mean there’s a light shining somewhere nearby.” – Ruth E. Renkel
56. “To see a candle’s light one must take it into a dark place.” – Ursula K. Le Guin
57. “Hanukkah is about the freedom to be true to what we believe without denying the freedom of those who believe otherwise.”— Rabbi Jonathan Sacks
58. “As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
59. “In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary.” – Aaron Rose
60. “Nothing can dim the light that shines from within.” – Maya Angelou
Hanukkah Quotes About the Celebrations
61. “You know. I don’t think I’m gonna be Jewish for very long.” — Lewis Black
62. “I’m not against the Hanukkah songs. I like Hanukkah songs. I grew up with Hanukkah songs. I’m not opposed to Hanukkah or the songs that accompany it, at all.” — Howard Dean
63. “Everyone thinks I’m Jewish. I’m not. Last year I got a call: “Happy Hanukkah.” I said “Ma, I’m not Jewish.”” — Joy Behar
64. “Well, because I have twin seven-year-old boys, I enjoy the gift giving stuff a great deal. We do both Hanukkah and Christmas, so it is a costly, though extremely pleasing proposition.” — Fred Melamed
65. “President Obama held a ceremony at the White House to celebrate the first night of Hanukkah. In response, Republicans said, ‘It’s even worse than we thought. He’s a Jewish Muslim.'” — Conan O’Brien
66. “Be convinced that to be happy means to be free and that to be free means to be brave. Therefore do not take lightly the perils of war.” — Thucydides
67. “I can remember the menorah, reflected against the wintry darkness of the bay window in my parents’ living room…” — Dani Shapiro
68. “I have excellent relationships with Jewish organizations and participate every year in a Hanukkah celebration with my family. There haven’t been any anti-Semitic tendencies in my team for a long time.” — Viktor Yushchenko
69. “When I use the flame of my faith to light a candle in someone else’s life, my Jewishness is not diminished.” — Rabbi Jonathan Sack
70. “A fuel-less flame is nothing but a wraith, However wrought, if unsustained by passion.” — Nick Gordon
Celebrating the Spirit of Hanukkah Quotes and Sayings
71. “The lights of Hanukkah remind us that even when things seem dark, there is always hope for a brighter future.” ― Ruth Bader Ginsburg
72. “Hanukkah is a time for joy and togetherness, a time to celebrate our heritage and our faith.” ― Bernie Sanders
73. “Hanukkah is a holiday that reminds us of the power of perseverance and determination, even in the face of great odds.” ― Joel Osteen
74. “The true meaning of Hanukkah is about the triumph of the human spirit, and the power of hope to sustain us even in the darkest of times.” ― Ari Emanuel
75. “The miracle of Hanukkah is not only in the oil that burned for eight days, but in the courage and faith that inspired the Maccabees to fight for what they believed in.” ― Howard Schultz
76. “May the lights of Hanukkah bring warmth and joy to your home, and may its message of hope and renewal be with you always.” ― Barbara Streisand
77. “The true gift of Hanukkah is the gift of family, of love, and of tradition.” ― Paul Simon
78. “The story of Hanukkah is one of resilience and perseverance, of a people who refused to give up their beliefs and traditions in the face of great adversity.” ― Michael Bloomberg
79. “Hanukkah is a time to come together with loved ones, to celebrate our heritage and to spread hope and joy to all.” ― Chelsea Handler
80. “May the miracle of Hanukkah bring light to your life, and may its spirit of hope and renewal inspire you always.” ― Ruth Westheimer
Which of these Hanukkah quotes and sayings was your favorite?
Hanukkah’s lighting of candles is symbolic of many beautiful things and creates an amazing spirit of unison and love.
Whether or not you are Jewish, the idea of hope intertwined in Hanukkah celebrations is one that we can find valuable.
Hopefully, these quotes and sayings have inspired you and added more light in your life.
Did you enjoy these Hanukkah quotes and sayings?
Tell us in the comment section below.
We would love to hear all about it.
Also, don’t forget to share these Hannukah quotes on social media with your friends and loved ones.