As the title suggests, this article offers a list of TE Lawrence quotes.
By going through this list, it would be easy for you to find a quote that is worthy to share.
Apart from our quotes section, we have also shared some valuable information about TE Lawrence.
If interested, please continue reading!
Who was TE Lawrence
T.E. Lawrence is also known as “Lawrence of Arabia”.
His life was marked by his critical role in the Arab Revolt during World War I.
The Early Life
Thomas Edward Lawrence was born on August 16, 1888, in Tremadog, Wales.
Since the early days of his youth, TE Lawrence has shown an interest in Middle Eastern history and archaeology.
He went to Oxford University and pursued classical studies.
Eventually, he earned a degree in history.
His academic pursuits also fueled his interest in the culture and history of the Arab world.
The Arab Revolt and Military Strategy
The most renowned chapter of Lawrence’s life was his involvement in the Arab Revolt (1916-1918).
This revolt was staged against the Ottoman Empire during World War I.
He worked as a liaison officer between Arab leaders and British forces.
During this time, his experience of the tough desert terrain helped the British forces to continue to move forward.
Lawrence also played a critical role in attempting guerrilla attacks against the Ottoman Empire.
His intimate knowledge of the desert and interaction with Arab leaders like Prince Faisal led to the success of military campaigns.
All these characteristics have helped TE Lawrence to gain unmatched popularity within just a few years.
The Literary Legacy
Lawrence is also known for his literary work.
He wrote various books on his experiences during the Arab Revolt.
The “Seven Pillars of Wisdom” is his autobiographical work.
It is a detailed account of his experience during the revolt.
This book isn’t only based on events, it also reflects the complexities associated with:
- Cultural dynamics
- Collision of civilizations
The Enigmatic Persona
TE Lawrence is an accomplished man with a complex personality.
Although he was popular for his shyness and modesty, he successfully achieved his goals in life.
He gained global fame through this historical knowledge and academic work.
Lawrence wasn’t comfortable with excessive media attention, which also raised some issues.
He also joined the Royal Air Force after the Arab Revolt.
Top 5 T. E. Lawrence Quotes
Top quotes from T. E. Lawrence will give you a better insight into his life and personality.
1. “Half a calamity is better than a whole one.” — T. E. Lawrence
2. “Immorality, I know. Immortality, I cannot judge.” — T. E. Lawrence
3. “The desert is an ocean in which no oar is dipped.” — T. E. Lawrence
4. “He was old and wise, which meant tired and disappointed.” — T. E. Lawrence
5. “The greatest commander is he whose intuitions most nearly happen.” — T. E. Lawrence
T. E. Lawrence Quotes Showing Ambitions in Life
The following quotes talk about ambitions in life. So, let’s check out what we’ve got here.
6. “I wrote my will across the sky, in stars.” — T. E. Lawrence
7. “Dream your dreams with open eyes and make them come true.” — T. E. Lawrence
8. “Your success will be proportioned to the amount of mental effort you devote to it.” — T. E. Lawrence
9. “The dreamers of the day are dangerous… for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.” — T. E. Lawrence
10. “Yet when we achieved, and the new world dawned, the old men came out again and took our victory to remake it in the likeness of the former world they knew. Youth could win but had not learned to keep and was pitiably weak against age. We stammered that we had worked for a new heaven and a new earth, and they thanked us kindly and made their peace.” — T. E. Lawrence
T. E. Lawrence Quotes Related to Arabs
T. E. Lawrence observed Arabs very closely and has summed his observations about them in the form of the following quotes.
11. “The beginning and ending of the secret of handling Arabs is the unremitting study of them.” — T. E. Lawrence
12. “As long as the Arabs fight tribe against tribe, so long will they be a little people, a silly people, greedy, barbarous and cruel.” — T. E. Lawrence
13. “A thick headcloth forms a good protection against the sun, and if you wear a hat your best Arab friends will be ashamed of you in public.” — T. E. Lawrence
14. “Do not try and do too much with your own hands. Better the Arabs do it tolerably than you do it perfectly. It is their war, and you are to help them, not win it for them.” — T. E. Lawrence
15. “If you wear Arab things, wear the best. Clothes are significant among the tribes, and you must wear the appropriate, and appear at ease in them. Dress like a Sherif, if they agree to it.” — T. E. Lawrence
T. E. Lawrence Quotes Related to Men
Let’s explore the complexities of masculinity and human nature through the eyes of Lawrence.
16. “Mankind has had ten thousand years of experience at fighting, and if we must fight, we have no excuse for not fighting well.” — T. E. Lawrence
17. “Many men would take the death sentence without a whimper, to escape the life sentence which fate carries in her other hand.” — T. E. Lawrence
18. “I’ve been and am absurdly over-estimated. There are no supermen, and I’m quite ordinary and will say so whatever the artistic results. In that point, I’m one of the few people who tell the truth about myself.” — T. E. Lawrence
19. “It seemed that rebellion must have an unassailable base, something guarded not merely from attack, but from the fear of it: such a base as we had in the Red Sea Parts, the desert, or in the minds of the men we converted to our creed.” — T. E. Lawrence
20. “Men have looked upon the desert as barren land, the free holding of whoever chose; but in fact, each hill and valley in it had a man who was its acknowledged owner and would quickly assert the right of his family or clan to it, against aggression.” — T. E. Lawrence
T. E. Lawrence Quotes On Life and Human Nature
These quotes from T. E. Lawrence talk about life and human nature.
21. “To have news value is to have a tin can tied to one’s tail.” — T. E. Lawrence
22. “Cling tight to your sense of humor. You will need it every day.” — T. E. Lawrence
23. “If I could talk it like Dahoum, you would never be tired of listening to me.” — T. E. Lawrence
24. “To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife.” — T. E. Lawrence
25. “A skittish motorbike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth because of its logical extension of our faculties and the hint, the provocation, to excess conferred by its honeyed untiring smoothness.” — T. E. Lawrence
Which One of these TE Lawrence Quotes is your Favorite?
T.E. Lawrence lived a life that was full of complex, adventurous, and conflicting aspects.
He left an indelible legacy for the generations to come.
This is why people love to share TE Lawrence quotes via different social media platforms.
You can also find a TE Lawrence quote by browsing through our list provided above.
If you have come across a quote that inspires you the most, do share it with us.
For this purpose, you can take advantage of our comments section.
We are looking forward to learning about your choice.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Inspirational biographies, however, provide insight into life struggles of the rich and successful.
These inspirational quotes about breaking your limits will help you answer a few questions that could change the course of your life!
Introduce yourself to some wise words and concepts that will provide inspiration or advice to help us fulfill our potential and allow us to live the life we were destined to live.
By practicing the tips in this article, you’ll be a leader who stands out both in your work and personal life.
Check out these related quote articles:
If you are a curious mind yearning for intellectual enlightenment, fasten your mental seatbelts and let us venture deep into the heart of the desert.
They give their all to protect our freedom, and these military quotes serve as an epic reminder of it.
The conversation around diversity continues to grow in society, and these culture quotes show why it’s so beneficial in the world.
These outdoor quotes will make you appreciate the power and beauty of nature.