The Song of Achilles Quotes From the Award-Winning Novel
February 9, 2023 6:00 AM EST
Fans of Greek Mythology will love these The Song of Achilles quotes!
The Song of Achilles is a novel written by Madeline Miller and released in 2011.
The book is set during the Greek Heroic Age and is an adaptation of Homer’s Iliad.
The book is in the genre of romance fantasy and is 416 pages long.
Tell us your favorite The Song of Achilles quote in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these The Song of Achilles quotes?
In The Song of Achilles, the story is told from the perspective of his good friend and wartime companion, Patroclus.
Patroclus tells the story of their relationship but focuses on their romantic relationship.
When Patroclus is exiled for accidentally killing the son of a noble, they send him to Phthia, where he meets Achilles.
They become good friends, and Patroclus develops feelings for Achilles.
While Thetis, Achilles’ mother, separates Achilles and Patroclus, they reunite during training.
We can take away a few powerful lessons from The Song of Achilles, like:
Look at these The Song of Achilles quotes to learn more about the novel.
Impactful The Song of Achilles Quotes
Check out these short but impactful quotes for the novel!
1. “I am made of memories.” ― Madeline Miller
7. “Name one hero who was happy.” ― Madeline Miller
9. “I feel like I could eat the world raw.” ― Madeline Miller
2. “He is half of my soul, as the poets say.” ― Madeline Miller
4. “He smiled, and his face was like the sun.” ― Madeline Miller
5. “I would know him in death, at the end of the world.” ― Madeline Miller
3. “He said what he meant; he was puzzled if you did not.” ― Madeline Miller
6. “You and I both know there is no peace for those who live after.” ― Madeline Miller
8. “When he died, all things soft and beautiful and bright would be buried with him.” ― Madeline Miller
10. “And perhaps it is the greater grief, after all, to be left on earth when another is gone.” ― Madeline Miller
Deep The Song of Achilles Quotes
Enjoy these quotes that show the depth of the book.
11. “There are no bargains between lion and men. I will kill you and eat you raw.” ― Madeline Miller
12. “When I am dead, I charge you to mingle our ashes and bury us together.” ― Madeline Miller
13. “I will never leave him. It will be this, always, for as long as he will let me.” ― Madeline Miller
14. “I found myself wishing he would wake so that I might watch the life return.” ― Madeline Miller
15. “But the stranger is someone else’s friend and brother. So which life is more important.” ― Madeline Miller
16. “This is what Achilles will feel like when he is old. And then I remembered: he will never be old.” ― Madeline Miller
17. “We reached for each other, and I thought of how many nights I had lain awake loving him in silence.” ― Madeline Miller
18. “We were fourteen, and these things were too hard for us. Now that we are twenty-seven, they still feel too hard.” ― Madeline Miller
19. “What is admired in one generation is abhorred in another. We cannot say who will survive the holocaust of memory.” ― Madeline Miller
20. “There was more to say, but for once, we did not say it. There would be other times for speaking, tonight and tomorrow and all the days after that.” ― Madeline Miller
What Happens to Patroclus and Achilles?
After a disagreement about Achilles sending his men into battle, Patroclus dresses as Achilles and leads the men without Achilles’ knowledge.
There Hector kills Patroclus.
In his grief, Achilles demands someone bury their ashes together when Achilles dies.
With no will to live, Achilles returns to battle and dies.
The pair end up buried together.
Please share these The Song of Achilles quotes with your friends and post your thoughts about the book in the comment section below.