There are a lot of lessons that we can learn from nature and gardening as shown by the following sunflower quotes.
Sunflowers are one of the most recognizable flowers. They have large brown centers and deep golden petals all around. But the thing that makes them the easiest to recognize is that they can grow over six feet tall. The large size of these flowers paired with the beautiful yellow petals makes them exquisite to look at if you happen to see a field of them.
What makes sunflowers special?
Another thing that makes these flowers special is that they follow the sun throughout the day. They turn their heads to soak in the sunshine. These unique flowers are not only pleasing to the eye, but they can teach us some important lessons about life.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking sunflower quotes, sayings, and proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Don’t forget to also check out these blooming flower quotes that will make you appreciate the beauty around you.
Sunflower quotes about pushing through hard times
1. “Sunflowers end up facing the sun, but they go through a lot of dirt to find their way there.” ― J.R. Rim
2. “Turn your face to the sun, and shadows follow behind you.” – Maori Proverb
3. “Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow. It’s what sunflowers do.” – Helen Keller
4. “I want to be like a sunflower so that even on the darkest days I will stand tall and find the sunlight.” – Unknown
Inspirational sunflower quotes
5. “If roses tried to be sunflowers, they would lose their beauty; and if sunflowers tried to be roses, they would lose their strength.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
6. “True friends are like bright sunflowers that never fade away, even over distance and time.” – Marie Williams Johnstone
7. “We’re all golden sunflowers inside.” – Allen Ginsberg
8. “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.” – Robert Louis Stevensen
9. “Wherever life plants you, bloom with grace.” – Old French Proverb
10. “As for marigolds, poppies, hollyhocks, and valorous sunflowers, we shall never have a garden without them, both for their own sake, and for the sake of old-fashioned folks, who used to love them.” – Henry Ward Beecher
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of garden quotes about the power of nature.
11. “Every friend is to the other a sun, and a sunflower also. He attracts and follows.” – Jean Paul
Thought-provoking sunflower quotes
12. “The head of all flower heads is one flower; the sunflower in the sky, that gives the others vivid color stemming from the inside.” ― Curtis Tyrone Jones
13. “The sunflower is a favorite emblem of constancy.” – Thomas Bulfinch
14. “Flowers have an expression of countenance as much as men and animals. Some seem to smile; some have a sad expression; some are pensive and diffident; others again are plain, honest and upright, like the broad-faced sunflower and the hollyhock.” ― Henry Ward Beecher
15. “Never look directly at the sun, instead look at the sunflower.” – Vera Nazarian
16. “A sunflower poem: The lofty follower of the sun, Sad when he sets, shuts up her yellow leaves, Drooping all night; and when he warm returns. Points her enamor’d bosom to his ray.” – James Thomson
17. “Which makes it ironic my favorite flower isn’t even indigenous to the British Isles, let alone Yorkshire. I don’t think there’s anything on this planet that more trumpets life that the sunflower. For me, that’s because of the reason behind its name. Not because it looks like the sun but because it follows the sun. During the course of the day, the head tracks the journey of the sun across the sky. A satellite dish for sunshine. Wherever light is, no matter how weak, these flowers will find it. And that’s such an admirable thing. And such a lesson in life.” – Tim Firth
Also check out these yellow quotes for a happy aesthetic.
Beautiful sunflower quotes
18. “And the yellow sunflower by the brook, in autumn beauty stood.” – William Cullen Bryant
19. “The road to freedom is bordered with sunflowers.” – Martin Firrell
20. “All flowers are beautiful in their own way, and that’s like women too.” – Miranda Kerr
21. “A sunflower field is like a sky with a thousand suns.” – Corina Abdulahm-Negura
22. “Does she realize she looks like a sunflower, ready to rain sunlight on all who look down upon her?” – Simone Elkeles
23. “Light-enchanted sunflower, thou Who gazest ever true and tender On the sun’s revolving splendour.” – Pedro Calderon de la Barca
Sunflower quotes to brighten your day
24. “I am working with the enthusiasm of a man from Marseilles eating bouillabaisse, which shouldn’t come as a surprise to you because I am busy painting huge sunflowers.” – Vincent Van Gogh
25. “Fame is the scentless sunflower, with gaudy crown of gold; But friendship is the breathing rose, with sweets in every fold.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
26. “Her smile put the sunflower to shame.” – Jerry Spinelli
27. “If I were a flower… I would be a sunflower. To always follow the sun, turn my back to darkness, stand proud, tall and straight even with my head full of seeds.” – Pam Stewart
28. “Bring me then the plant that points to those bright Lucidites swirling up from the earth, and life itself exhaling that central breath! Bring me the sunflower crazed with the love of light.” – Eugenio Montale
29. “And here the sunflower of the spring burns bright in the morning’s beam.” – Ebenezer Elliott
30. “In the morning the sunflower blossoms due to the sun’s rays. This morning I just wanted to remind you that my heart blossoms with love for you every day I wake up and it is going to do that forever.” – Sheila Carey
Sunflower quotes to brighten your life
31. “Be like a flower and turn your face to the sun.” – Kahlil Gibran
32. “Space for the sunflower, bright with yellow glow, To court the sky.” – Unknown
33. “Despite knowing they won’t be here for long, they still choose to live their brightest lives — sunflowers.” – Rupi Kaur
34. “Sunflowers are like people to me.” – Joan Mitchell
35. “The sunflower is mine, in a way.” – Vincent Van Gogh
36. “A rose can never be a sunflower, and a sunflower can never be a rose. All flowers are beautiful in their own way, and that’s like woman too.” – Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of rose quotes that celebrate the beautiful flower
37. “Like a single sunbeam on a warm summer day, there is an exuberance and brilliance in a sunflower.” – Unknown
38. “Mom has a massive sunflower for a soul so big there’s hardly any room in her for organs.” ―Jandy Nelson
39. “Which way will the sunflower turn surrounded by millions of suns?” –
40. “Big doesn’t necessarily mean better. Sunflowers aren’t better than violets.” – Edna Ferber
Sunflower quotes that will make your day
41. “Make it like a sunflower.” – Steve Jobs
42. “My will broke at the sound of his voice, and my head turned with as much inevitability as a sunflower turning its face to the sun.” – Patricia Briggs
43. “…we’re all beautiful golden sunflowers inside, we’re all blessed by our own seed & golden hairy naked accomplishment.” – Allen Ginsberg
44. “Ah Sunflower, weary of time / Who countest the steps of the sun; / Seeking after that sweet golden clime / Where the traveller’s journey is done.” – William Blake
45. “Attention shifted to him like sunflowers turning to the sun.” – Khaled Hosseini
46. “Sunflowers in spring, they’re just like you / Sunflower wipe away your tears / All your doubts and fears / You were born to fly, so high.”–Alice Peacock
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of spring quotes, celebrating the new season.
47. “The earth paints a portrait of the sun at dawn with sunflowers in bloom. Unhappy with the portrait, she erases it and paints it again and again.” – Rabindranath Tagore
48. “A long time ago in a kingdom by the sea there lived a princess as tall and bright as a sunflower.”–Jeanne Desy
49. “I chose a sunflower because when darkness descends they close up to regenerate. But I really wish I’d never had the tattoo in the first place. Clean, clear skin is always better.” – Halle Berry
50. “Yellow is my favorite summer color – it makes me feel like a sunflower.”–Bria Vinaite
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of summer quotes to celebrate the season of outdoor exploration and fun.
Sunflower quotes to spread happiness
51. “The morning glories and the sunflowers turn naturally toward the light, but we have to be taught, it seems.” – Richard Rohr
52. “My work is the world. Here the sunflowers, there the hummingbird – equal seekers of sweetness. Here the quickening yeast; there the blue plums.” – Mary Oliver
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of blue quotes about the power of colors.
53. “I want to encourage women to embrace their own uniqueness. Because just like a rose is beautiful, so is a sunflower, so is a peony. I mean, all flowers are beautiful in their own way, and that’s like women too.” – Miranda Kerr
54. “Wherever the sun goes / The sunflower will follow / Through all of the pain / And all of the sorrow.” – Londrelle
55. “Restless sunflower; cease to move.” – Pedro Calderon de la Barca
56. “Smile to the world and smile to the people you love, as a sunflower smiles at the sun.”– Remez Sasson
57. “I am painting with the same enthusiasm as a Marseillaise eats bouillabaisse … I am painting big sunflowers.” – Vincent Van Gogh
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of painting quotes about the power of creating with color.
58. “Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.” – James Matthew Barrie
59. “There are not too many fables about man’s misuse of sunflower seeds.” – Richard Brautigan
60. “Look at the sunny side of everything.”– Christian D. Larsen
Sunflower quotes to freshen your day
61. “So, I’m off to the market to buy a few sunflowers to place in a vase on my kitchen table. Have a beautiful day!”— Olivia Dunn
62. “Always look at the brighter side of life, just like the sunflower, which looks upon the sun, not the dark clouds.” – Unknown
63. “I faced the gaudy sunflower on her canvas bag — it looked hand-painted, and at last, my eyes fell into hers. I said, ”Thanks for the card.” Her smile put the sunflower to shame. She walked off.” – Jerry Spinelli
64. “The flower that follows the sun does so even in cloudy days.”– Robert Leighton
65. “Stand tall and face the sun.” – Unknown
66. “Don’t wait for someone to bring you flowers. Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul.”– Luther Burbank
67. “Let a hundred flowers bloom.” – Mao Zedong
68. “Open the bloom of your heart and become a gift of beauty to the world.”– Bryant McGill
69. “Every flower blooms at a different pace.” – Suzy Kassem
70. “A flower does not use words to announce its arrival to the world; it justs blooms.”– Matshona Dhliwayo
Motivational sunflower quotes
71. “As for marigolds, poppies, hollyhocks, and valorous sunflowers, we shall never have a garden without them, both for their own sake and for the sake of old-fashioned folks, who used to love them.” – Henry Ward Beecher
72. “Every flower must grow through dirt.”– Laurie Jean Sennott
73. “What a lonely place it would be to have a world without a wildflower.” – Roland R. Kemler
74. “Like wildflowers; You must allow yourself to grow in all the places people thought you never would.”– E.V.
75. “Let us dance in the sun, wearing wildflowers in our hair.” – Susan Polis Schutz
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of dance quotes to help you find the perfect words about movement.
76. “Don’t let the tall weeds cast a shadow on the beautiful flowers in your garden.”– Steve Maraboli
77. “You look beautiful as a sunflower and charming as a rose.” – Avijeet Das
78. “A flower blooming in the desert proves to the world that adversity, no matter how great, can be overcome.”– Matshona Dhliwayo
79. “Tomorrow it may rain, so I’ll follow the sun.” – The Beatles
80. “If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden.”– Frances Hodgson Burnett
More sunflower quotes
81. “She is a sunflower! She brings hope to people.” – Avijeet Das
82. “A sunflower teaches us so much about love.” – Samrah Ahmad
83. “Then one by one they raised their faces to the sky. ‘Like a field of sunflowers.” – Fiona Valpy
84. “I think it’s something to do with the nurturing side of the psyche; tying up a sunflower or whatever and helping it grow, it is just some kind of core human experience.” – Joe Lycett
85. “I can’t feel bad about being who I am, just like the girl next to me can’t feel bad about being who she is. Because a rose can never be a sunflower, and a sunflower can never be a rose.” – Miranda Kerr
86. “I remember my first role as a sunflower at nine.” – Kay Kay Menon
87. “Pick up a sunflower and count the florets running into its centre, or count the spiral scales of a pine cone or a pineapple, running from its bottom up its sides to the top, and you will find an extraordinary truth: recurring numbers, ratios and proportions.” – Charles Jencks
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of pineapple quotes to hail the queen of tropical fruits.
Be like the sunflower
Model your life after the sunflower. When times are tough, make sure that you stay focused on the positive things in the same way that the sunflower keeps its face turned towards the sun.
Do your best to mimic the brightness of the yellow petals in your demeanor and the way that you treat people. And, remember to stand tall the same way the sunflower does. Don’t be afraid to show the world all the things that make you unique and special.
Keep a few of the quotes from above around in places where you will see them and be reminded of them throughout your day.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these beautiful sunflower quotes? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
March 10, 2021 6:00 AM EST