420 Quotes That Clear Up The Haze Around This Stoner Term
September 21, 2022 8:00 AM EST
These 420 quotes can be perfect for Instagram, but there are also some serious ones.
As marijuana legalization is a topic on many ballots right now, it could be helpful to see what people say about it.
Now, if you are wondering where 420 came from or why this is a popular stoner term, then you have come to the right place.
First, let’s look at where many people think 420 originated.
One theory is that 420 was a police code for people smoking marijuana.
There is also a Bob Dylan song called “Rainy Day Women #12 and 35,” that people attribute 420 to (12 times 35 equals 420).
However, the most credible reason 420 has become a popular slang term is much less dramatic.
Keep reading through these witty 420 quotes and people’s thoughts on marijuana to learn more.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
420 quotes that are perfect for Instagram and social media
Live in a place where weed is legal recreationally? Want to post some funny pot captions on Instagram? Then these quotes are for you!
1. “I got 99 problems and 420 solutions.” — Unknown
2. “A joint a day keeps the bad mood away.” — Unknown
3.. “That is not a drug. It’s a leaf.” — Arnold Schwarzenegger
You will also enjoy our article on weed quotes.
4. “Every night is a perfect night to smoke weed.” — Unknown
5. “Sativa to change the things I can, Indica to accept the things I can’t.” — Unknown
6. “If you ever miss 4:20, just wait until 4:22. Because 4:22 is 4:20, too.” — Unknown
7. “This 4/20, good luck blaming your bloodshot eyes on allergy season.” — Unknown
8. “As a part of a balanced breakfast on 4/20, don’t forget to eat your Weedies!” — Unknown
9. “Happy 420, enjoy prison when they do a Happy 421 National Drug Test Day!” — Unknown
10. “Celebrating 4/20 has taught me that not even pot can make matzoh taste good.” — Unknown
You will also enjoy our article on stoner quotes.
420 quotes about marijuana and the movement
Marijuana’s reputation is changing and has been for decades. Check out some of these quotes about the marijuana movement and what it means to people.
11. “You can’t buy happiness but you can smoke weed, and that’s pretty close!” — Unknown
12. “Let’s smoke enough pot so that we make even less sense than the meaning of 4/20.” — Unknown
13. “420 is the one of the most unofficial celebrated holidays in the world with over 2 Billion participants each year. Happy 420.” — Unknown
14. “One’s condition on marijuana is always existential. One can feel the importance of each moment and how it is changing.” — Norman Mailer
15. “When I first started smoking weed, I told myself that I would only smoke on special days… little did I know, every day is a special day.” — Unknown
16. “We talk to each other in code. We said that 420 was a special number. It was a time. It was a date. It was a symbol for what we did for passive resistance.” — Rick Cusick
17. “At 4:20 p.m. on April 20 millions of pot smokers around the world will observe 420, otherwise known as Weed Day, to mark the marijuana movement.” — Unknown
18. “The legalization of marijuana is not a dangerous experiment—the prohibition is the experiment, and it has failed dramatically, with millions of victims all around the world.” ― Sebastian Marincolo
19. “Legalizing marijuana would make a lot of sense, I don’t think there’s a single case of marijuana overdose on record and tens of millions of users. It’s much less dangerous than alcohol, for example.” — Noam Chomsky
You will also enjoy our article on drug quotes.
Marijuana quotes from famous people
Everyone, from presidents to rappers, has something to say about marijuana. Check out these marijuana quotes from famous people (some of them might surprise you).
20. “I never understood that line. The point was to inhale. That was the point.” — Barack Obama
21. “I wake up early in the morning and it feels so good. Smoking on some s**t that you wish you could.” — Snoop Dogg
22. “Instead of taking five or six of the prescriptions, I decided to go a natural route and smoke marijuana.” — Melissa Etheridge
23. “Prison is for rapists, thieves, and murderers. If you lock someone up for smoking a plant that makes them happy, then you’re the fucking criminal.” ― Joe Rogan
24. “Here’s the point – you’re looking at affirmative action, and you’re looking at marijuana. You legalize marijuana, no need for quotas, because really, who’s gonna wanna work?” — Jon Stewart
25. “Bring the brothers home, and sisters home now. Legalize marijuana and take all that money and invest it in teachers and in education. You will see a transformation in America.” — Carlos Santana
26. “I think people need to be educated to the fact that marijuana is not a drug. Marijuana is an herb and a flower. God put it here. If He put it here and He wants it to grow, what gives the government the right to say that God is wrong?” — Willie Nelson
27. “I used to smoke marijuana. But I’ll tell you something: I would only smoke it in the late evening. Oh, occasionally the early evening, but usually the late evening—or the mid-evening. Just the early evening, mid-evening and late evening. Occasionally, early afternoon, early mid-afternoon, or perhaps the late-mid-afternoon. Oh, sometimes the early-mid-late-early morning… But never at dusk.” — Steve Martin
Weed quotes from talk shows, radio hosts, and journalists
When we say everyone is talking about it, that includes the media. Each of these 420 quotes is from a popular media personality.
28. “The War on Drugs will go down in history as the most racist crusade since slavery.” ― Thor Benson
29. “Marijuana should be legalized. All drugs should be legalized. I’m tired of all the best party people being caged.” ― Thor Benson
30. “Whenever the people are for gay marriage or medical marijuana or assisted suicide, suddenly the ‘will of the people’ goes out the window.” — Bill Maher
31. “President Obama answered questions on YouTube today. He was asked 7,500 times about legalizing marijuana. And that was just from Chad in Portland.” — Conan O’Brien
32. “Ron Paul is in favor of letting states legalize marijuana, prostitution, and cocaine. So even if he doesn’t win, that’s going to be one heck of an election night party.” — Jay Leno
33. “Sarah Palin has admitted she tried marijuana several years ago, but she did not like it. She said it distorted her perceptions, impaired her thinking, and she’s hoping that the effects will eventually wear off.” — Jay Leno
34. “With more and more states legalizing marijuana, companies are lining up to create the first marijuana breathalyzer. Officials say the toughest part is getting stoners to stop trying to inhale off the breathalyzer.” — Jimmy Fallon
35. “The White House announced that it has rejected several petitions to legalize marijuana. They say it has nothing to do with politics. It’s just that they can’t accept a petition that was written on a crumpled up Funyuns bag.” — Jimmy Fallon
36. “I think it’s about time we legalize marijuana… We either put people who are smoking marijuana behind bars or we legalize it, but this little game we are playing in the middle is not helping us, it is not helping Mexico, and it is causing massive violence on our southern border….” — Glenn Beck
37. “I’m for legalizing marijuana. Why pick on those drugs? Valium is legal. You just go to a doctor and get it and overdose on it – what’s the difference? Prozac, all that stuff, so why not marijuana? Who cares? It’s something that grows out of the ground – why not? Go smoke a head of cabbage. I don’t care what you smoke.” — Howard Stern
38. “Marijuana legalization’s income may help fund education, prevention and treatment programs for harder drugs. What’s clear is that the four-decade-old U.S.-backed war on drugs is not working, and that it’s producing tens of thousands of dead across the hemisphere, without significant gains in reducing consumption. Experimenting with new weapons to weaken the cartels may be better than doing nothing.” — Andres Oppenheimer
So, just how did 420 come about?
We can actually trace the term back to San Rafael High School in Marin County, California.
The year was 1971. A group of five friends would meet up at 4:20 pm and light up.
They chose that specific time because sports and clubs were all pretty much over by then.
The teens would use 4:20 as a code word for their activities.
Since then, April 20th has become a sort of national pot holiday. Back in 1990, a bunch of Grateful Dead fans passed out a flyer to come smoke 420 on 4/20.
This phrase made its way to the band because Dave Reddix’s (one of the teens from SRHS) brother got a job working with the group.
Now you know the rest of the story!
Let us know, in the comment section, if you have heard any other origin stories for the phrase 420.
You can also share any 420 quotes or stories of your own with us.