Although it’s only truly celebrated once a year, Mother’s Day is something that should be celebrated more often. They wipe our tears, they lift us up, and they inspire us to see the good in ourselves even in times when it seems impossible. These Mother’s Day quotes will remind you to cherish your mother no matter what relationship you share with her.
Mother’s Day is a celebration to appreciate the mothers of the world, as well as motherhood, maternal bonds and the important role mothers play in society. It’s a day dedicated to mothers so we can recognize all the hard work they do.
Mothers love and care for us as we grow up, and they’re simply incomparable. For many of us, they are the first people we ever know when we come into the world.
Different countries and individuals celebrate Mother’s Day in varying ways but the day will forever serve as a reminder of what mothers mean to us.
So, whether you decide to spend the day together with your mom in someplace special or you choose help a mother in need by donating to a charity that cares for mothers and children, be sure to make this special day one to remember.
In honor of all mothers and all mother-figures, below is our collection of beautiful, inspirational, and meaningful Mother’s Day quotes, Mother’s Day sayings, and Mother’s Day proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the year.
Also check out our compilation of pregnancy quotes celebrating all mothers to be.
Mother’s Day Quotes to Show Mom You Care
1. “A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.” – Tenneva Jordan
2. “We are born of love; Love is our mother.” – Rumi
3. “Mother is the heartbeat in the home; and without her, there seems to be no heartthrob.” – Leroy Brownlow
4. “God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers.” – Rudyard Kipling
5. “My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.” – Michael Jordan
6. “A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s.” – Princess Diana
7. “She raised us with humor, and she raised us to understand that not everything was going to be great – but how to laugh through it.” – Liza Minellie
8. “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” – Abraham Lincoln
9. “My Mother: She is beautiful, softened at the edges and tempered with a spine of steel. I want to grow old and be like her.” – Jodi Picoult
10. “The natural state of motherhood is unselfishness.” – Jessica Lange
Mother’s Day quotes to express our utmost gratitude
11. “He didn’t realize that love as powerful as your mother’s for you leaves its own mark.” – J.K. Rowling
12. “Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.” – William Makepeace Thackeray
13. “That’s the wonderful thing about mothers: You can because you must, and you just do.” – Kate Winslet
14. “If love is as sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.” – Stevie Wonder
15. “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” – Elder M. Russell Ballard
16. “When you look into your mother’s eyes, you know that is the purest love you can find on this earth.” – Mitch Albom
17. “My mother was my role model before I even knew what that word was.” — Lisa Leslie
18. “When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” — Charley Benetto
19. “A mother’s happiness is like a beacon, lighting up the future but reflected also on the past in the guise of fond memories.” – Honore de Balzac
20. “Mothers are like glue. Even when you can’t see them, they’re still holding the family together.” – Susan Gale
Also read these motherhood quotes to celebrate the most special woman in the universe.
Mother’s Day quotes to help make this special day one to remember
21. “The most beautiful word on the lips of mankind is the word ‘Mother’, and the most beautiful call is the call of ‘My Mother’.” – Kahlil Gibran
22. “A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary.” – Dorothy Canfield Fisher
23. “A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.” – Victor Hugo
24. “Over the years, I learned so much from mom. She taught me about the importance of home and history and family and tradition.” – Martha Stewart
25. “Life doesn’t come with a manual, it comes with a mother.” – Unknown
26. “A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.” — Cardinal Mermillod
27. “Motherhood is the biggest gamble in the world. It is the glorious life force. It’s huge and scary – it’s an act of infinite optimism.” — Gilda Radner
28. “Life began with waking up and loving my mother’s face.” – George Eliot
29. “Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
30. “There is no influence so powerful as that of the mother.” — Sara Josepha Hale
Mother’s Day quotes to remind you of what mothers mean to us
31. “The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.” – Honoré de Balzac
32. “Mother’s love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved.” — Erich Fromm
33. “Ma-ma does everything for the baby, who responds by saying Da-da first.” – Mignon McLaughlin
34. “In the mother’s eyes, her smile, her stroking touch, the child reads the message: ‘You are there!’” — Adrienne Rich
35. “My mom is a hard worker. She puts her head down and she gets it done. And she finds a way to have fun. She always says, “Happiness is your own responsibility.” – Jennifer Garner
36. “Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws.” – Barbara Kingsolver
37. “A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.” – Tenneva Jordan
38. “Once you’re a mom, you’re always a mom. It’s like riding a bike, you never forget.” – Taraji P. Henson
39. “Most mothers are instinctive philosophers.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
40. “Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs since the payment is pure love.” — Mildred B. Vermont
Other beautiful and inspirational Mother’s Day quotes
41. “Mother is a verb. It’s something you do. Not just who you are.” – Dorothy Canfield Fisher
42. “Having kids—the responsibility of rearing good, kind, ethical, responsible human beings—is the biggest job anyone can embark on.” – Maria Shriver
43. “There’s no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.” – Jill Churchill
44. “I want my children to have all the things I couldn’t afford. Then, I want to move in with them.” – Phyllis Diller
45. “There’s nothing like your mother’s sympathetic voice to make you want to burst into tears.” – Sophie Kinsella
46. “A mother is the one who fills your heart in the first place.”- Amy Tan
47. “When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.” – Sophia Loren
48. “The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation.” – James E. Faust
49. “I can imagine no heroism greater than motherhood.” – Lance Conrad
50. “The love of a mother is the veil of a softer light between the heart and the heavenly Father.” – Samuel Taylor Coleridge
More Mother’s Day quotes and sayings
51. “My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her.” – George Washington
52. “My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.” – Mark Twain
53. “Mother’s love is infinite. A child can’t outgrow it and a mother can’t conceal it.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
54. “Who can ever measure the benefit of a mother’s inspiration?” – Charles R. Swindoll
55. “Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother.” – Lin Yutang
56. “If I have done anything in life worth attention, I feel sure that I inherited the disposition from my mother.” – Booker T. Washington
57. “Mom’s always know how to make us happy, but they also know exactly how to make us cry.” – Phil Jones
58. “The moment a child is born, the mother is also born.” – Rajneesh
59. “A mother takes twenty years to make a man of her boy, and another woman makes a fool of him in twenty minutes.” – Robert Frost
60. “No language can express the power and beauty and heroism of a mother’s love.” – Edwin Hubbel Chapin
Did you enjoy these Mother’s Day quotes?
Once a year, people around the world celebrate Mother’s Day; a day to show our appreciation to the important women in our lives.
No matter what relationship you share with your mother, always be thankful for the special role she played in your existence. We hope the Mother’s Day quotes above have inspired you to make this special day memorable.
Which of these Mother’s Day quotes and sayings resonated with you best? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add to the list? Feel free to share with us in the comment section below. Also, if you enjoyed this Mother’s Day quotes collection, be sure to share with your friends and followers.
October 14, 2019 7:30 AM EST