Feminist Quotes About The New F-Word
March 6, 2023 6:00 AM EST
Feminist quotes highlight the inequalities between genders and biases against women.
Most of these quotes are worthy of sharing via social media.
We have created an impressive collection of the best feminist quotes.
Apart from these quotes, we have also talked about what feminism is, who is a feminist, and when it started.
So, let’s begin without any further ado!
What is Feminism?
Feminism is known as a cultural, social, as well as political movement that is associated with the rights of girls and women.
This movement aims to challenge inequalities that are based on gender discrimination.
Hence, feminism was launched with a purpose in mind: to promote gender equality.
However, many people out there believe that we have already reached a stage where both men and women are viewed as equals.
Feminists still consider that we are far from gender equality, and there is much to do in this area.
Who is a Feminist?
A person supporting and promoting feminism is known as a feminist.
Such an individual believes in gender equality of the sexes regarding economic, social, and political aspects.
For instance, it includes working on issues like gender-based description and oppression.
A feminist always advocates the idea of equal opportunities and rights for both the male and female individuals of a society.
Feminist people also challenge the unethical values and norms associated with different cultures.
Starting Era of the Feminist Movement
The movement started in the late 19th century and gained popularity in the late 20th century.
This was known as the first wave of feminism.
This movement gained momentum during the 1960s and 1970s and was referred to as the second wave of feminism.
After that time, this movement evolved and considered various other issues, including:
- Workplace discrimination
- Sexual harassment and assault
- Gender inequality/discrimination in the workplace
- Reproductive rights
- Domestic violence/Intimate partner violence
- Beauty standards
- Objectification of women
- Stereotyping issues in culture
- The impact of class and race
- Opportunities for women to join leadership roles
- Role of women in politics
- The gap between wages of male and female workers
- Parental leave
Top 10 Feminist Quotes
Here are our top 10 short and beautiful feminist quotes from some top TV stars and journalists.
1. “To be a feminist is to be alive.” — Margaret Cho
2. “To be feminist doesn’t mean you can’t be submissive.” — Sam Taylor-Johnson
3. “I realized that, as a woman, you have an obligation to be a feminist.” — Sadie Sink
4. “It is living, not thinking, as a feminist that has become the challenge.” — Rachel Cusk
5. “I don’t necessarily think of myself as a feminist, but I’m a whole person.” — Jill Scott
6. “I try to be feminist in, like, I love myself, and I don’t need someone else’s approval.” — Amy Lee
7. “There are 3 billion women in the world, so there are 3 billion ways to be a feminist.” — Caitlin Moran
8. “I don’t know if I’m a feminist, but I just know that I am all for outspoken, powerful women.” — Mac Miller
9. “Because of the feminist perspective, we have gotten a view of the world that is distorted.” — Warren Farrell
10. “When people ask me if I am a feminist filmmaker, I reply I am a woman, and I also make films.” — Chantal Akerman
Illuminating Feminist Quotes
Now let’s say more about how different people have defined the term ‘feminist.’
11. “Being a feminist is being equal to do what a man do.” — Cardi B
12. “Does being a feminist mean that I believe that I’m as good as any man? Yes.” — Yasmine Bleeth
13. “If you say, I’m for equal pay, that’s a reform. But if you say. I’m a feminist; that’s a transformation of society.” — Gloria Steinem
14. “I will stand for equality, and that doesn’t mean giving me a reservation. I would like to fight for it; just give me a fair chance. That’s what being a feminist is.” — Taapsee Pannu
15. “First and foremost, I’m a feminist. And basically, that stems from a strong belief that all people and creatures deserve equal opportunity, rights, and respect.” — Kathy Najimy
16. “Every woman, whether or not they’re comfortable with the term ‘feminist,’ probably wants to be equal to men, and that is fundamentally what feminism is about.” — Emily Ratajkowski
17. “A feminist is a person who believes in the power of women just as much as they believe in the power of anyone else. It’s equality, it’s fairness, and I think it’s a great thing to be a part of.” — Zendaya
18. “I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.” — Rebecca West
19. “I would never judge another woman. For me, being a feminist means that even if we don’t agree on everything, we should fight for each woman to be free to choose who she wants to be.” — Maimouna Doucoure
20. “A feminist is a person who wants equal things for men and women, and I definitely believe in that. This doesn’t mean I will degrade anyone. In our house, I want my mother and father to have equal importance, and that’s the only way to bring up a socially responsible child.” — Aishwarya Lekshmi
Feminist Quotes by Feminists
These feminist quotes are from some of the very active feminists.
21. “I’ll always prefer to play with women and hang out with women, and I’ll always be a feminist.” — Courtney Love
22. “I am a feminist. Women are discriminated against in so many ways, and they make up half the population.” — John Legend
23. “I’m proud to be a feminist because making sure that everyone understands we all have a role in fighting for equality is the only way to move forward.” — Justin Trudeau
24. “I was a feminist in the Sixties, and can you imagine? The worst thing I could have done was to be in fashion. It was the most uncomfortable position.” — Miuccia Prada
25. “I don’t think that French women are less feminist. If you look at Simone de Beauvoir, she was French, and she wrote one of the founding texts of feminism.” — Stacy Martin
Views on feminism
26. “I’m almost a feminist and believe if a girl wants to do something, she should be able to do it in the same way that a man is able to, which is sometimes a problem in our country.” — Alia Bhatt
27. “I consider myself a feminist because I believe women should have equal rights. Of course. It’s just that the term ‘feminism’ conjures up other things for people.” — Marina and the Diamonds
28. “I never say, ‘I feel this way, so you should feel that way.’ Not that there’s anything wrong with it, but I just am who I am. But, yeah. I think you would call me a feminist.” — Kim Kardashian
29. “Women have been taught that, for us, the earth is flat and that if we venture out, we will fall off the edge. Some of us have ventured out, nevertheless, and so far, we have not fallen off. It is my faith, my feminist faith, that we will not.” — Andrea Dworkin
30. “I was born in ancient times, at the end of the world, in a patriarchal Catholic and conservative family. No wonder that by age five, I was a raging feminist – although the term had not reached Chile yet, so nobody knew what the heck was wrong with me.” — Isabel Allende
Feminist Quotes about Feminist Movement
Here are some words by celebs on this movement.
31. “Gone are the days when reality fed the feminist movement.” — Tammy Bruce
32. “I don’t think that the feminist movement has done much for the characters of women.” — Doris Lessing
33. “One of the biggest problems with the modern feminist movement is its failure to bring men along with us.” — Tammy Bruce
34. “I’m not a misogynist, so you can dispense with that. I think I’ve done wonders for the feminist movement.” — Nick Cave
35. “The feminist movement taught women to see themselves as victims of an oppressive patriarchy. … Self-imposed victimhood is not a recipe for happiness.” — Phyllis Schlafly
36. “I’ve never been drawn to the feminist movement. I was brought up to believe that men had little to do with the home or children – except to bring in the money.” — Beryl Bainbridge
37. “There was an angry wave in the ‘70s, a strong feminist angry wave. I remember thinking – oh my God – I thought it was the beginning of something, and it all went quiet.” — Viv Albertine
38. “I have never experienced racism in the feminist movement, so it concerned me to think that I was unable to see the subject clearly because I came from white, middle-class privilege.” — Betty Buckley
39. “The goals of the feminist movement have not been achieved, and those who claim we’re living in a post-feminist era are either sadly mistaken or tired of thinking about the whole subject.” — Margaret Atwood
40. “With the feminist movement – a good movement which I support – there’s been more overt criticism of the male, an attitude that men are failing to understand the finer nature of women, failing to appreciate their needs, failing to support them, failing to be compassionate.” — Steven Berkoff
Feminist Quotes by Non-feminists
Last, we’d like to share some feminist quotes from those with other views.
41. “I’m not an active feminist: I’m an active humanist.” — Hugh Hefner
42. “I wouldn’t say I’m a feminist, but I don’t like girls pretending to be stupid because it’s easier.” — Amy Winehouse
43. “I’ve never considered myself a feminist, but I’m happy that I’ve been raised as a strong, independent woman.” — Shruti Haasan
44. “If a woman wants to take her husband’s name, that’s her choice, and I still think she can be feminist while doing that.” — Roxane Gay
45. “Why am I not a feminist? Maybe because I come from a country where my mother ruled my life. I never felt in any way that I couldn’t achieve what I want.” — Marina Abramovic
More feminist quotes to get you thinking
46. “Well, I don’t think of myself as a feminist at all. As soon as we start labeling and categorizing ourselves and others, that’s going to shut down the world.” — Melissa Leo
47. “I don’t consider myself a feminist, but I’m down for my first opportunity to say something to the world to be so meaningful. If you asked me, ‘What do you want to say?’ it would be, ‘Love yourself more.’” — Meghan Trainor
48. “I’m a woman who was raised to believe that you are not complete unless you have a man. Well, in some ways, it’s true. I am a feminist to a point. But I’m not going to deny the fact that I love to be with men.” — Goldie Hawn
49. “I like women who look like women. I hated grunge. No one’s more feminist than me, but you don’t have to look as if you don’t give a – you know. You can be smart, bright, and attractive aesthetically to others – and yourself.” — Catherine Zeta-Jones
50. “I think the term feminist is scary for women because it means that you’re extreme in some way, and I’m not extreme in any way, although I do passionately believe that a woman’s role within any organization is to assist and help other women.” — Karren Brady
Which One of these Feminist Quotes is your Favorite?
We collected the feminist quotes listed here to offer you the best possible quotes you can enjoy reading and sharing.
Hence, it won’t be difficult for you to find your favorite feminist quotes.
Apart from this, we have also tried to discuss the term feminism briefly.
Therefore, making it easier to understand the underlying message linked with feminist quotes.
In addition, if you have found a feminist quote that inspires you the most, share it with us via the comments section.
If you found this article inspiring, please click the share button.