90 Video Game Quotes That Relate Video Games and Real Life
September 12, 2022 6:00 AM EST
Video games have changed so much since the birth of the industry 50 years ago.
Here are 50 video game quotes that show how video games relate to the world today.
No matter how you feel about video games, one thing is for sure – they are here to stay.
Technological advancements have brought video games from the likes of the basic table tennis game, Pong, in the early 1970s to fully immersive worlds inside the virtual reality headsets of today.
Continuous innovation and rapidly changing technology are advancing games so fast that who knows what video games will look like in the next ten years.
Perhaps someday soon we will live in a world that revolves around video games like in the Stephen Spielberg film, Ready Player One, based on the novel by Ernest Cline.
There’s no knowing what tomorrow will bring.
But for now, we hope you enjoy our list of video game quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out these Ninja quotes that prove playing video games is not a waste of time.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
If you enjoy this collection, check out our inspirational quotes category page.
Best video game quotes to inspire you
1. “In video games, one of the most helpless against injustice can even mighty.” — Glenn Greenwald
2. “In the darkest hour, there is always a way out.” — Eve, Mass Effect 3
You will also enjoy our article on Kingdom Hearts quotes.
3. “Knowledge is useless if it is not used.” — Gixx, Guild Wars 2
4. “Games are transforming the brains of people who play them in largely positive ways.” — Jane McGonigal
5. “Sometimes life is like a video game. When things get harder, and the obstacles get tougher, it just means you leveled up.” ― Lilah Pace
6. “Life is a lot like a video game. You control what happens.” — Michael L. Ceorgoveanu
You will also enjoy our article on Paarthurnax quotes.
Video game quotes that relate games and real life
7. “Life is a video game. No matter how good you get, you are always zapped in the end.” — Unknown
8. “Video games are always half real.” — Jesper Juul
9. “Video games are no substitute for real-world pleasures (marriage, the birth of a child, spiritual enlightenment, what have you), but they do provide a nice reprieve from real-world woes.” — Brett Weiss
10. “Video games and computers have become babysitters for kids.” — Taylor Kitsch
11. “One of the best lessons children learn through video games is standing still will get them killed quicker than anything else.” — Jinx Milea
12. “The destructive effects of video games are not on boys’ cognitive abilities or their reaction times but on their motivation and their connectedness with the real world.” — Leonard Sax
You might also like these gamer quotes to help you get your game on.
Famous quotes about video games
13. “Always trust computer games.” ― Ridley Pearson
14. “The obvious objective of video games is to entertain people by surprising them with new experiences.” — Shigeru Miyamoto
15. “Video games are bad for you? That’s what they said about rock-n-roll.” — Shigeru Miyamoto
16. “Video games are a huge, incredibly popular, world-transforming medium.” — Austin Grossma
17. “I recently learned something quite interesting about video games. Many young people have developed incredible hand, eye, and brain coordination in playing these games. The air force believes these kids will be our outstanding pilots should they fly our jets.” — Ronald Reagan
18. “Video games are engineered now, but the step I am trying to take, no one can engineer.” — Bill Budge
19. “Videogames are a little more work and they’re a little more stilted.” — Carlos Alazraqui
20. “It is really hard to make it convincing enough that you forget you are playing a video game.” — Tim Page
21. “Some people say video games rot your brain, but I think they work different muscles that maybe you don’t normally use.” — Ezra Koenig
Video game quotes about being a gamer
22. “Video games are well-positioned to be a spectator sport.” — Rob Pardo
23. “Video games are the quintessential social texts of our present cultural moment.” — Steven E. Jones
24. “Video games are a waste of time for men with nothing else to do.” — Ray Bradbury
25. “I think video games are a great kind of entertainment. They have replaced a lot of games people normally play with their friends and neighbors, like Monopoly.” — Uwe Boll
26. “There are no real breaks in video games—no rooms or lounges where the characters go to chill for a bit, reflect on the previous level, take a load off. Depending on the game, you might have to restock inventory, or there could be something text- or scene-based that suspends play to move the story along. But otherwise, it’s always a smash cut to the next challenge.” ― A.D. Aliwat
27. “Not only is interest in violent video games rare among school shooters, these perpetrators express much less interest in this violent medium than most other individuals. If you were to enter any school in America you would find that about 70 percent of the male students habitually play violent video games… those who perpetrate acts of violence in schools are more than three times less likely to play violent video games than an average high school student.” — Christopher Ferguson, Ph.D. & Patrick M. Markey, PhD
28. “Partly the beneficial effect of video games may just be that if you’re playing video games you’re not getting into trouble in other ways. And so the young men who are behind the screen are not out picking fights in bars or over parking spots.” — Steven K. Pinker, Ph.D.
29. “My parents said that sitting at home playing video games all day won’t bring you anywhere in life.” — PewDiePie
30. “Video games are meant to be just one thing: Fun! Fun for everyone.” — Satoru Iwata
Funny video game quotes from popular games
31. “It’s time to kick ass and chew bubble gum…and I’m all outta gum.” – Duke Nukem
32. “We’re not tools of the government or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing I was good at, but at least I always fought for what I believed in.”– Metal Gear Solid
33. “The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.” – Half-Life 2
34. “FINISH HIM!” – Mortal Kombat
35. “Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain’t nothing fair.” – Red Dead Redemption
36. “War…war never changes” – Fallout
You might enjoy these Joshua Graham quotes from Fallout.
37. “The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly.” – Dragon Age: Origins
38. “Nothing is true, everything is permitted.” – Assassin’s Creed
39. “It’s dangerous to go alone, take this!” – The Legend of Zelda
40. “Praise the sun!” – Dark Souls
41. “Endure and survive.” – The Last of Us
42. “Hope is what makes us strong. It is why we are here. It is what we fight with when all else is lost.” – God of War 3
43. “I used to be an adventurer like you until I took an arrow to the knee.” – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
44. “A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him” – Halo
45. “Nothing is more badass than treating a woman with respect!” – Borderlands 2
46. “Steel wins battles. Gold wins wars.” — Dragon Knight
More video game quotes and sayings
47. “In video games, you sometimes run into what they call a side quest, and if you don’t manage to figure it out you can usually just go back into the normal world of the game and continue on toward your objective. I felt like I couldn’t find my way back to the world now: like I was somebody locked in a meaningless side quest, in a stuck screen.” ― John Darnielle
48. “I like video games, but they’re really violent. I’d like to play a video game where you help the people who were shot in all the other games. It’d be called ‘Really Busy Hospital.” ― Demetri Martin
49. “She looked like a character from a video game. One of those improbably busty, impossibly well-armed super chicks who could do acrobatics and hit the kill zone even while firing guns from both hands during a cartwheel.” ― Jonathan Maberry
50. “Playing video games is something I enjoy in my spare time. I’m a gamer, always have been.” — Kevin Garnett
Video game quotes to inspire gaming beginners
51. “By shifting your focus to the princess and treating your life’s challenges like video games, you can trick your brain and actually learn more and see more success.” — Mark Rober
52. “There are plenty of skills I’ve learned from playing video games. It’s more interactive than watching TV because there are problems to solve as you’re using your brain.” — Shaun White
53. “People love video games because they do things they obviously can’t do in real life. That’s especially true with sports games because fans love to step into the shoes of their favorite athletes”. — Ralph H. Baer
54. “Reality is broken. Game designers can fix it.”― Jane McGonigal
55. “The idea of the ‘lone gamer’ is really not true anymore. Up to 65 percent of gaming now is social, played either online or in the same room with people we know in real life.” — Jane McGonigal
56. “A goal of Twitch is to be wherever gamers are, whether its on laptops and handheld devices or integrated into gaming consoles and software.” — Emmett Shear
57. “As a child growing up, you never thought about being in a videogame, then to have a game of your own and be lucky enough to set the bar with it in the gaming world, it’s a dream come true.” — Tiger Woods
58. “Online console gaming will continue to grow at a healthy pace.” — Trip Hawkins
59. “To me the arcade experience is the ultimate gaming experience.” — Eugene Jarvis
60. “Man is a gaming animal.” — Charles Lamb
Video Game Quotes For Young Gamers
61.“Games have so much freedom. you can go anywhere you want.” – Jeneva Chen.
62. “If we continue down the same path as we have in the past, people may become tired of gaming.” – Satoru Iwata
63. “In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” – Jane McGonigal.
64. “Super Mario Bros. hooks newcomers because there are no barriers to playing the game.” – Adam Alter.
65. “Games were not just a diversion, I realized. Games could make you feel.” – Sid Meier
66. “I grew up with video games. My generation kind of grew up with the Nintendo and the Sega Genesis.” – C. C. Sabitha.
67. “Everyone has played video games at some point these days, and video games are fun.” – Felix ‘PewDiePie’ Kjellberg
68. “The worst thing a kid can say about homework is that it is too hard. The worst thing a kid can say about a game is it’s too easy.” – Henry Jenkins
69. “A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” – Jane McGonigal
70. “I do miss playing on the big stage, to be able to hear the crowd roar in the stadium. But I don’t miss competing.” — Michael ‘Shroud’ Grzesiek.
Video Game Quotes To Ignite Your Passion
71. “I don’t need a weapon; my friends are my power!” ― Kingdom Hearts
72. “If our lives are already written, it would take a courageous man to change the script.” ― Alan Wake
73. “Shadow and light are two sides of the same coin. One cannot exist without the other.” ― The Legend of Zelda
74. “Had to be me… Someone else might have got it wrong.” ― Mass Effect 3
75. “Someday you’re bound to lose everything. Everybody around you will be gone.” ― Final Fantasy VIII
76. “Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow. Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands.” ― Final Fantasy X
77. “Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.” ― Bioshock 2
78. “There are two ways of arguing with a woman, and neither one works.” ― Red Dead Redemption
79. “Kept you waiting, huh?” — Metal Gear
80. “What is bravery, without a dash of recklessness?” ― Dark Souls
Video Game Quotes To Change Your Perspective
81. “Wisdom is the offspring of Suffering and Time.” ― Emperor Izaro
82. “Curiosity is essential to carving your own path through life. Get too curious, though, and it’ll be a short walk.” ― Luxord
83. “I looked for the truth. Found it. Didn’t like it. Wish to hell I could forget it.” ― Alex Mercer
84. “A hunter is a hunter, even in a dream.” ― Micolash
85. “Dream, not of what you are, but of what you want to be.” ― Margulis
86. “Only under light does a flower bloom with beauty. A flower tainted with darkness is fated to wither away.” ― Endrance
87. “What good is an intellect if you can’t use it?” ― Raiden
88. “Technologies are invented to make our lives easier — not our choices.” ― Adam Jensen
89. “We are the sum of our deeds, not our names.” ― Ramza Beoulve
90. “It is a sign of strength, to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb.” ― Gabriel Angelos
What is your favorite video game?
The best video games are the ones that make you feel like you’ve escaped the real world and into the story of the game.
That’s why they’re so addicting.
Inside a game, you can be anyone you want to be.
Games are becoming so customizable that you can even make characters who look just like you, or, usually, your idealized version of yourself.
Because of this, many people argue about the side effects of excessive gaming.
Studies are conflicting on whether or not video games make people more violent.
But there are also positive studies about how video games activate more parts of your brain, helping people to think differently, and they increase hand-to-eye coordination.
At the end of the day, video games are for enjoyment.
So enjoy them!
Just don’t forget to live in the real world, too.
Did you enjoy these video game quotes and sayings?
Let us know your favorite quote in the comments below.