Please take a moment to check out our communist quotes.
We have communist sayings from various scholars, political figures, and leaders.
What is communism?
Communism is a philosophy based on the equal distribution of wealth among a nation’s citizens.
It calls for shared ownership of all property and, in theory, puts the control of production, agriculture, and manufacturing in the hands of the working class or proletariat.
Below are some key takeaway points about communism:
- Communism rejects capitalism
- Communism advocates public control of production
- Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels are considered the pioneers of communism.
Many people have heard of the word communism but are unfamiliar with what it means.
Communism became popular in Europe and spread to other nations across the globe.
People confuse communism and socialism all of the time.
Communism and socialism have some things in common but have different core values.
Communism is a philosophy that aims for a classless society.
In the ideal scenario, all community members would be equal, with no class divisions.
The government is at the center of the means of production and distributes goods/services/resources equally among the people.
In the past, countries have implemented communist systems.
Critics of communism suggest its lack of success is because it is a flawed system.
Advocates for communism blame human error as the reason it is not more popular.
Today, China, Cuba, North Korea, Laos, and Vietnam still practice communism.
To learn more, check out our communism quotes below.
Short communist quotes
Here are some brief quotes about communism.
1. “Let’s not talk about communism.” — Boris Yeltsin
2. “Communism forgets that life is individual.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
3. “For us in Russia, communism is a dead dog.” — Alexander Solzhenitsyn
4. “Reforming communism is like baking snowballs.” — Leszek Kolakowski
5. “Communism was just an idea, just pie in the sky.” — Boris Yeltsin
6. “Communism doesn’t work because people like to own stuff.” — Frank Zappa
7. “Communism was a very defective answer to some very good questions.” — Tony Judt
8. “How do you tell a Communist? Well, it’s someone who reads Marx and Lenin.” — Ronald Reagan
9. “The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people’s money.” — Margaret Thatcher
10. “How do you tell an anti-Communist? It’s someone who understands Marx and Lenin.” — Ronald Reagan
Communist quotes by Vladimir Lenin and Karl Marx
Lenin and Marx are well known for their push to spread communism.
11. “The goal of Socialism is Communism.” — Vladimir Lenin
12. “If anything is certain, it is that I myself am not a Marxist.” — Karl Marx
13. “A specter is haunting Europe, the specter of Communism.” — Karl Marx
14. “We will hang the capitalists with the rope that they sell us.” — Vladimir Lenin
15. “Atheism is the natural and inseparable part of Communism.” — Vladimir Lenin
16. “Give us the child for eight years, and it will be a Bolshevik forever.” — Vladimir Lenin
17. “Communism deprives no man of the ability to appropriate the fruits of his labor.” — Karl Marx
18. “Communism is Soviet government plus the electrification of the whole country.” — Vladimir Lenin
19. “The theory of the Communists may be summed up in a single sentence: Abolition of private property.” — Karl Marx
Communist quotes about work
Labor is at the center of any economic philosophy.
20. “Capital is dead labor, that vampire-like, only lives by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.” — Karl Marx
21. “The ultimate weakness of Communism is that it robs man of that quality which makes him man.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
23. “Communism and socialism programs for intellectual control over society. Fascism a program for the social control of intellect.” — Robert M. Pirsig
24. “In communism, you’d threaten a dog into compliance, while in capitalism, obedience is obtained through bribes.” — Adam Johnson
25. “The principle of communism is the enrichment of the idle at the expense of the provident; it is plunder legalized.” — Mary Trimmer
26. “If communism ever reestablishes itself successfully upon earth, it must be on a foundation of soul’s brotherhood and the death of egoism.” — Sri Aurobindo
27. “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.” — Helder Camara
29. “God is on your side? Is He a Conservative? The Devil’s on my side; he’s a good Communist.” — Joseph Stalin
30. “The hopes which inspire communism are, in the main, as admirable as those instilled by the Sermon on the Mount, but they are held as fanatically and are as likely to do as much harm.” — Bertrand Russell
Communist quotes about capitalism
These quotes demonstrate how life is impacted by the economies we have.
31. “You are horrified at our intending to do away with private property. But in your existing society, private property is already done away with for nine-tenths of the population; its existence for the few is solely due to its non-existence in the hands of those nine-tenths.” — Karl Marx
32. “You reproach us, therefore, with intending to do away with a form of property, the necessary condition for whose existence is the non-existence of any property for the immense majority of society.” — Karl Marx
32. “I have one question for those rulers: If communism is the wave of the future, why do you still need walls to keep people in and armies of secret police to keep them quiet?” — Ronald Reagan
33. “There is no difference between communism and socialism, except in the means of achieving the same ultimate end: communism proposes to enslave men by force, socialism—by vote. It is merely the difference between murder and suicide.” — Ayn Rand
34. “Socialism, in general, has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it.” — Thomas Sowell
35. “Everyone may be called “comrade,” but some comrades have the power of life and death over other comrades.” — Thomas Sowell
36. “Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.” — John Steinbeck
37. “Capitalism is the exploitation of man by man, while Marxism is the opposite.” — Henri Jeanson
38. “Socialism only works in two places: Heaven where they don’t need it and hell where they already have it.” — Ronald Reagan
39. “Communism is a society where each one works according to his abilities and gets according to his needs.” — Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
40. “The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of Socialism is the equal sharing of miseries.” — Winston Churchill
More Communist quotes
Here is a diverse collection of quotes about communism.
41. “What Marxism, Leninism, and Stalinism failed to accomplish, we shall be in a position to achieve.” — Adolf Hitler
42. “The trouble with Communism is the Communists, just as the trouble with Christianity is the Christians.” — H.L. Mencken
43. “Communism is inequality, but not as property is.” — Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
44. “Property is the exploitation of the weak by the strong. Communism is the exploitation of the strong by the weak.” — Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
45. “Communism is a form of government under which every citizen at election time enjoys the privilege of voting Yes.” — Evan Esar
46. “The problem with Marxism is the proletariat isn’t going to rise up against capitalism and consumerism. The only time they’ll rise up is during a commercial break to either go to the bathroom or grab more beer.” — Jarod Kintz
47. “Capitalism forgets that life is social, and the kingdom of brotherhood is found neither in the thesis of communism nor the antithesis of capitalism but in a higher synthesis. It is found in a higher synthesis that combines the truths of both.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
48. “I have never been to the Right, nor have I been a Communist, because I have experienced, personally, both forms of totalitarianism. It is those who have never lived under tyranny who call me petit bourgeois.” — Eugene Ionesco
49. “The hopes which inspire communism are, in the main, as admirable as those instilled by the Sermon on the Mount, but they are held as fanatically and are as likely to do as much harm.” — Bertrand Russell
50. “I went to Communism as one goes to a spring of fresh water, and I left Communism as one clambers out of a poisoned river strewn with the wreckage of flooded cities and the corpses of the drowned.” — Arthur Koestler
Communism has a long history
Communism has had both lowlights and highlight moments.
Any form of government is going to have its drawbacks and its strong suites.
Hungary is an excellent case study on how communism can work.
Fans of communism look to communist Hungary as an example of why communism is a good idea.
At one point, the government of communist Hungary improved the quality of life of its citizens.
People were guaranteed employment, and they received free education and healthcare.
Violent crimes went down, and people felt connected, while trust in the government increased.
Leisure and paid holiday opportunities were issued, and this made people happy.
At the same time, there were setbacks to this government.
While people felt their quality of life was increasing, aspects of life decreased.
Free healthcare and better education also came with travel restrictions, especially to the West.
With paid holidays and time off, the freedom to criticize the government was limited.
Communism has both positives and negatives.
Tell us about a favorite quote about communism in the comments section below.