One of the best escapes we have in life, these book quotes will inspire you to rediscover the pleasure of reading.
Reading a good book is like going on a short hiatus from your life.
We can all use a little break from our everyday selves once in a while!
You can step into a daring romance, an adventurous quest, or a comedy of errors!
You will also enjoy our article on sad love quotes.
Why is reading books important?
Whether you find romance, humor, or inspiration, you will not be the same after reading a great book.
Sometimes, when you need a good cry, a book can accomplish the goal!
Below are 50 of the best quotes from books, and about books in general.
Enjoy reading them, and be sure to also check out our hand-picked collection of the best relationship books, books to read before you die as well as these insightful quotes about reading that will expand your mind.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
Romantic book quotes from classical literature
1. “He stepped down, trying not to look long at her, as if she were the sun, yet he saw her, like the sun, even without looking.” – Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
2. “I wish I knew how to quit you.” —Brokeback Mountain, Annie Proulx
3. “Who, being loved, is poor?” —A Woman of No Importance, Oscar Wilde
4. “You and I, it’s as though we have been taught to kiss in heaven and sent down to earth together, to see if we know what we were taught.” – Boris Pasternak, Doctor Zhivago
5. “Do I love you? My god, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches.” – William Goldman, The Princess Bride
6. “We loved with a love that was more than love.” —Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
7. “All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love.” —War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
8. “And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.” — Kiersten White, The Chaos of Stars
9. “It has made me better loving you … it has made me wiser, and easier, and brighter.” —The Portrait of a Lady, Henry James
10. “If you remember me, then I don’t care if everyone else forgets.” —Kafka on the Shore, Haruki Murakami
11. “Your name is a golden bell hung in my heart. I would break my body to pieces to call you once by your name.” – Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn
12. “I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be.” – Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of wise Charles Dickens quotes on self-worth, love, and more.
13. “I’ll hold you in my heart until I can hold you in my arms.” – JM Barrie, Peter Pan: J M Barrie illustrated by Steve Hutton
You might also like these literature quotes to share with your favorite bookworm.
Funny book quotes from classic literature
14. “Every harlot was a virgin once.” – William Blake, The Complete Poetry and Prose
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of William Blake quotes for the creative soul.
15. “To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.” – Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
16. “Well, my comfort is, I am sure Jane will die of a broken heart, and then he will be sorry for what he has done.” – Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
17. “I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.” – Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
18. “Reality continues to ruin my life.”― Bill Watterson, The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
Also, check out these classic Animal Farm quotes.
Classic literature book quotes that inspire you to reach for greatness
19. “You are a wonderful creation. You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know.” – Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
20. “A man, after he has brushed off the dust and chips of his life, will have left only the hard, clean questions: Was it good or was it evil? Have I done well — or ill?” — John Steinbeck, East of Eden
21. “It was against my principles and all, but I was feeling so depressed I didn’t even think. That’s the whole trouble. When you’re feeling very depressed, you can’t even think.” – J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye (see more quotes from Catcher in the Rye)
22. “You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart…I’ll always be with you.” – A. A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
23. “Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.” — Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
24. “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
25. “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere’s Fan
26. “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
27. “Don’t let politeness interfere with truth.” – Jean Webster, Daddy-Long-Legs & Dear Enemy
28. “Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.” – Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl
29. “There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for.” — J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of booklover quotes that every bookworm will appreciate.
Some of the saddest classic book quotes
30. “So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I’m still trying to figure out how that could be.” – Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
31. “Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart.” – E. B. White, Charlotte’s Web
32. “I buried Little Ann by the side of Old Dan. I knew that was where she wanted to be. I also buried part of my life along with my dog.” – Wilson Rawls, Where the Red Fern Grows
33. “I ought to of shot that dog myself, George. I shouldn’t ought to of let no stranger shoot my dog.” – John Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men
You might also like these Of Mice of Men quotes that will inspire you to keep your head up.
34. “She had tricked him. She had made him leave his old self behind and come into her world, and then before he was really at home in it but too late to go back, she had left him stranded there — like an astronaut wandering about on the moon. Alone.” – Katherine Patterson, Bridge to Terabithia
35. “You see I usually find myself among strangers because I drift here and there trying to forget the sad things that happened to me.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Great Gatsby quotes on love and loss.
Quotes about books from authors
36. “I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book.” – J.K. Rowling
37. “Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.” – Mark Twain
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of book quotes about the power of reading from your favorite authors.
38. “The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.” – Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
39. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” – C.S. Lewis
40. “There is no friend as loyal as a book.” – Ernest Hemingway
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Ernest Hemingway quotes from the iconic author.
41. “A room without books is like a body without a soul.”― Marcus Tullius Cicero
42. “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” – Stephen King (see more Stephen King quotes)
43. “Books are the treasured wealth of the world and the fit inheritance of generations and nations.”― Henry David Thoreau, Walden
44. “Books are the mirrors of the soul.” – Virginia Woolf, Between the Acts
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Virginia Woolf quotes that will help you understand life itself.
45. “Books don’t offer real escape, but they can stop a mind scratching itself raw.”― David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas
46. “A book lying idle on a shelf is wasted ammunition.” – Henry Miller, The Books in My Life
47. “So many books, so little time.”― Frank Zappa
48. “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.”― Toni Morrison
49. “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.”― Oscar Wilde
50. “If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book.” – J.K Rowling
Also, check out these powerful library quotes that will make you want to sit down with a good book.
Book Quotes To Inspire Reading To Gain More Knowledge
51. “Books are the best friends you can have; they inform you, and entertain you, and they don’t talk back.” ― John Steinbeck
52. “You cannot open a book without learning something.” ― Confucius
53. “A book is a gift you can open again and again.” ― Garrison Keillor
54. “A good book is an education of the heart.” ― Susan Sontag
55. “A book is a garden, an orchard, a storehouse, a party, a company by the way, a counselor, a multitude of counselors.” ― Charles Baudelaire
56. “The reading of all good books is like a conversation with the finest minds of past centuries.” ― Rene Descartes
57. “Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” ― Charles William Eliot
58. “A room without books is like a life without meaning.” ― Thomas Jefferson
59. “The wise man reads both books and life itself.” ― Lin Yutang
60. “Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent.” ― Henry David Thoreau
Which of these book quotes resonated with you best?
I never get rid of a book, and often say they hold the stories of my new friends!
Mark Twain says that “good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience are the ideal life.”
(That is one extra book quote!)
I am in full agreement.
Books are one of the best escapes we have in life.
Of course, knowledge can be found in books, but so can adventure, love and humor.
If it’s been a little while since you sat snuggled with a blanket and read a new book, you should carve out some time and enjoy a good read!
Hopefully, these book quotes have inspired you to get started.
Did you enjoy the quotes above?
Which of these classic book quotes is your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.
August 31, 2022 5:00 AM EST