Learn more about the influential writer and preacher through these Frederick Buechner quotes.
Carl Frederick Buechner was a talented and successful Presbyterian minister, a preacher, and a well-known author.
He was born in New York City in 1926 and died in Rupert, Vermont, in 2022 at the age of 96.
Buechner’s family moved around each year when he was young until she was ten years old and his father committed suicide.
His family then moved to Bermuda, and the life of greenness, light, and fragrance on the island helped to bring healing to young Buechner.
After high school, he served in the military for two years before finishing college at Princeton, where he learned he loved to write.
During his Senior year, he yearned to know Christ better and entered the seminary.
Take a look at these Frederick Buechner quotes to learn more about the inspirational man.
Frederick Buechner Quotes About Christianity and God
Throughout his life, Buechner had a lot to say about God and His love.
1. “Life is grace.” — Frederick Buechner
2. “Leave it to God.” — Frederick Buechner
3. “Lord, catch me off guard today.” — Frederick Buechner
4. “Go where your best prayers take you.” — Frederick Buechner
5. “Where your feet take you, that is who you are.” — Frederick Buechner
6. “A miracle is when one plus one equals a thousand.” — Frederick Buechner
7. “Coincidences are God’s way of getting our attention.” — Frederick Buechner
8. “Justice is the grammar of things. Mercy is the poetry of things.” — Frederick Buechner
9. “Doubts are the ants in the pants of faith. They keep it awake and moving.” — Frederick Buechner
10. “Turn around and believe that the good news that we are loved is better than we ever dared hope.” — Frederick Buechner
Encouraging Frederick Buechner Quotes
Check out these encouraging quotes from the American author.
11. “Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen.” — Frederick Buechner
12. “If we are to love our neighbors, before doing anything else, we must see our neighbors.” — Frederick Buechner
13. “Jesus is apt to come into the very midst of life at its most real and inescapable moments.” — Frederick Buechner
14. “The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.” — Frederick Buechner
15. “You can kiss your family and friends goodbye and put miles between you, but at the same time, you carry them with you in your heart.” — Frederick Buechner
16. “The kind of work God usually calls you to is the kind of work (a) that you need most to do and (b) that the world most needs to have done.” — Frederick Buechner
17. “The time is ripe for looking back over the day, the week, the year, and trying to figure out where we have come from and where we are going to.” — Frederick Buechner
Inspirational Frederick Buechner Quotes
Here are some of the most inspirational quotes from Frederick Buechner.
18. “Your vocation in life is where your greatest joy meets the world’s greatest need.” — Frederick Buechner
19. “I find I need to put things into words before I can believe that they are entirely real.” — Frederick Buechner
20. “Pay attention to the things that bring a tear to your eye or a lump in your throat because they are signs that the holy is drawing near.” — Frederick Buechner
21. “Wherever people love each other and are true to each other and take risks for each other, God is with them, and they are doing God’s will.” — Frederick Buechner
22. “The life I touch for good or ill will touch another life, and in turn another, until who knows where the trembling stops or in what far place my touch will be felt.” — Frederick Buechner
23. “What we hunger for perhaps more than anything else is to be known in our full humanness, and yet that is often just what we also fear more than anything else.” — Frederick Buechner
24. “The grace of God means something like: Here is your life. You might never have been, but you are because the party wouldn’t have been complete without you.” — Frederick Buechner
25. “One life on this earth is all that we get, whether it is enough or not enough, and the obvious conclusion would seem to be that, at the very least, we are fools if we do not live it as fully and bravely and beautifully as we can.” — Frederick Buechner
What Are Some of the Big Accomplishments in Buechner’s Life?
He married his wife Judith in 1956 and was ordained by the Presbyterian Church in 1958 before taking over the religious department at Phillips Exeter Academy.
Buechner published thirty-nine books, and his writing career lasted more than six decades.
His skill and longevity as a writer led to many accolades and many praising his talents, including The New York Times.
Please share these Frederick Buechner quotes with others by clicking the share button!
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
There are many ways to nourish your soul, from breathing and spending time with nature to volunteering; here are ten ways to start today.
There are unlimited ways to appreciate someone. Here are some simple ways to make others feel special and improve their world.
By practicing the tips in this article, you’ll be a leader who stands out both in your work and personal life.
Don’t base your intelligence on grades alone. Here are good reasons why grades are not a good measurement for your talents and accomplishments.
Check out these related quote articles:
Sometimes thinking outside of the box has the power to open a window of opportunity you may never have realized.
Looking for inspirational be yourself quotes to encourage you? Here are some uplifting quotes about being yourself to inspire your best life.
These new friends quotes will help you celebrate the new people you meet in your life.
Let these missing friends quotes offer a little support if you feel blue about being separated from someone you care about.