Do you find yourself getting pulled in by others in their time of need or vice versa? We have curated dozens of misery loves company quotes to remind you that you’re not alone.
When’s the last time you were someone else’s support system?
The oldest reference of the phrase “misery loves company” is by 14th-century Italian historian Dominici de Gravina. Cliff’s Notes states that Gravina once wrote “Solamen miseris socios habuisse doloris,” which translates to, “It is a comfort to the unfortunate to have had companions in woe.”
Today, the phrase is still a part of popular culture and frequently finds its way into modern movies, music, and television.
Below are quotes that analyze these relationships from many different perspectives, including how to handle toxic people, the importance of listening to others, and how to move forward.
Also read these walking away quotes and sayings for when it’s time to let go.
Misery loves company quotes on relationships
1. “If you’re giving love and not receiving it, you’re not in the right relationship. If you’re receiving it and not giving it than you are taking advantage of the other person.” – Patti Stanger
2. “A bad relationship is like standing on broken glass, if you stay you will keep hurting…If you walk away, you will hurt but eventually you will heal.” – Autumn Kohler
3. “In any relationship where one person depends on another to be his or her ‘parachute’ — and the other accepts this role — both will fall to the ground.” – Guy Finley
4. “Relationships based on obligation lack dignity.” – Wayne Dyer
5. “Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts, and don’t put up with people that are reckless with yours.” – Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
6. “It is far better to be alone than to be in bad company.” – George Washington
7. “Anger repressed can poison a relationship as surely as the cruelest words.” – Dr. Joyce Brothers
8. “The wrong person isn’t breaking their back to make you happy. So, stop breaking your back for them.” – Sonya Parker
9. “We are responsible for our own relationships, their success, their failures, the good times, the bad times. Take responsibility for creating the relationships that you desire.” – Sam Owen
10. “Break free of toxic people and relationships, they erode your quality of life.” – Ty Howard
11. “Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself.” – Hussein Nishah
12. “Like arsenic, toxic people will slowly kill you. They kill your positive spirit and play with your mind and emotions. The only cure is to let them go.” – Dennisse Lisseth
13. “Because at some point you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life.” – Sandi Lynn
Misery loves company quotes on suffering
14. “We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret or disappointment.” – Jim Rohn
15. “I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.” – James Baldwin
16. “If you’re never able to tolerate a little bit of pain and discomfort, you’ll never get better.” – Angela Duckworth
17. “Strength doesn’t mean an absence of pain.” – Aja Naomi King
18. “Pain and foolishness lead to great bliss and complete knowledge, for Eternal Wisdom created nothing under the sun in vain.” – Khalil Gibran
19. “The struggle of my life created empathy – I could relate to pain, being abandoned, having people not love me.” – Oprah Winfrey
20. “There is no coming to consciousness without pain.” – Carl Jung
21. “The experience of pain or loss can be a formidably motivating force.” – John C. Maxwell
22. “Pain is as diverse as man. One suffers as one can.” – Victor Hugo
23. “If pleasure was not followed by pain, who would forbear it?” – Samuel Johnson
24. “We spend millions of dollars to remove pain from our lives. It’s why so many people get hooked on painkillers. The body becomes addicted to painlessness. That tells you a lot.” – Henry Rollins
25. “When there is pain, there are no words. All pain is the same.” – Toni Morrison
26. “The greater your capacity to love, the greater your capacity to feel the pain.” – Jennifer Aniston
You might also like these powerful manipulation quotes to keep toxic people away.
Misery loves company quotes about listening
27. “One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” – Bryant H. McGill
28. “Listening to and understanding our inner sufferings will resolve most of the problems we encounter.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
29. “When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen.” – Ernest Hemingway
30. “Deep listening is the kind of listening that can help relieve the suffering of another person. You can call it compassionate listening. You listen with only one purpose: to help him or her to empty his heart.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
31. “Listening is one of the loudest forms of kindness.” – Anonymous
32. “Listening is a magnetic force.” – Karl A. Menninger
33. “I’m a very strong believer in listening and learning from others.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
34. “You need to listen to your body because your body is listening to you.” – Phil McGraw
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of listening quotes that express the importance of listening.
Misery loves company quotes on moving forward
35. “Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward towards finding the answer.” – Denis Waitley
36. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
37. “You are always a student, never a master. You have to keep moving forward.” – Conrad Hall
38. “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” – Paulo Coelho
39. “Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to known when to let go and then do it.” – Ann Landers
40. “You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.” – C. JoyBell C.
41. “There comes a time in your life when you have to choose to turn the page, write another book or simply close it.” – Shannon L. Alder
42. “Because you simply cannot draw these things out forever. At some point, you just pull off the Band-Aid and it hurts, but then it’s over and you’re relieved.” – John Green
43. “You’ve got to make a conscious choice every day to shed the old — whatever ‘the old’ means to you.” – Sarah Ban Breathnach
44. “You really don’t have to burn any bridges to let go… You don’t have to destroy anything. You can just decide to cross over and move on.” – Marta Mrotek
45. “Time doesn’t heal emotional pain, you need to learn how to let go.” – Roy T. Bennett
Other insightful misery loves company quotes
46. “Your heart’s strength is measured by how hard it holds on. Your self worth and faith is measured by finally letting go. However, your peace is measured by how long you don’t look back.” – Shannon L. Alder
47. “The greatest win is walking away and choosing not to engage in drama and toxic energy at all.” – Lalah Delia
48. “Sometimes we can only find our true direction when we let the wind of change carry us.” – Mimi Novic
49. “You don’t have to let that one thing be the thing that defines you.” – Jojo Moyes
50. “Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over.” – Guy Finley
When’s the last time you chose to let go of something that was bothering you?
There’s nothing wrong with turning to the support of others in your time of need. We’ve all done it at some point in our lives. But, be sure that you support the other person just as much as they support you. If not, the other person could end up feeling used and the relationship could be strained.
If you believe your friend is going through a dark time, don’t hesitate to reach out to them. Relationships are all about supporting each other. But, that support has to go both ways.
Which of these misery loves company quotes and sayings is your favorite? Let us know your thoughts down below.