Do you feel like you’re in a bad relationship? If any of this sounds familiar, these toxic relationships quotes will remind you it’s time to make some big changes.
If you’re reading this, you might be wondering “What is a toxic relationship?”. Maybe you already recognize that you are involved in one and are questioning how you end a toxic relationship. Maybe, you have recently gotten out of a bad relationship and are feeling shattered and need a reminder that you a wonderfully unique human being deserving of love and kindness.
What should you do if you’re involved in a toxic relationship?
The toxic relationship quotes below will help you spot a disastrous relationship, embolden you to do what seems impossible, and inspire you to find the love you were meant to have. Take a deep breath, wipe your eyes, lift your head and carry on. Reach out to someone if you need help leaving someone that is detrimental to your safety and sanity.
Also check out these misery loves company quotes to help you move forward.
Toxic relationship quotes that will encourage you to love yourself
1. “Toxic relationships are dangerous to your health; they will literally kill you. Stress shortens your lifespan. Even a broken heart can kill you. There is an undeniable mind-body connection. Your arguments and hateful talk can land you in the emergency room or in the morgue. You were not meant to live in a fever of anxiety; screaming yourself hoarse in a frenzy of dreadful, panicked fight-or-flight that leaves you exhausted and numb with grief. You were not meant to live like animals tearing one another to shreds. Don’t turn your hair gray. Don’t carve a roadmap of pain into the sweet wrinkles on your face. Don’t lay in the quiet with your heart pounding like a trapped, frightened creature. For your own precious and beautiful life, and for those around you — seek help or get out before it is too late. This is your wake-up call!” ― Bryant McGill
2. If you’re in a relationship and all you do is cry, you need to stop and ask yourself, are you dating a human or an onion? ― Karen Salmansohn
3. “A bad relationship is like standing on broken glass, if you stay you will keep hurting. If you walk away, you will hurt but eventually, you will heal.” ― Autumn Kohler
4. “No partner in a love relationship… should feel that he has to give up an essential part of himself to make it viable.” ― May Sarton
5. A good relationship is when someone accepts your past, supports your present and encourages your future. ― Karen Salmansohn
6. “I mean, if the relationship can’t survive the long term, why on earth would it be worth my time and energy for the short term.” ― Nicholas Sparks
7. “A bad relationship can do that, can make you doubt everything good you ever felt about yourself.” ― Dionne Warwick
8. “When he’s the last thing you need, he’ll drain you. He’ll exhaust you. He’ll destroy you. And you won’t see it that way. In fact, you won’t notice it at all. But everyone else will.” ― Kirsten Corley
9. “Toxic relationships are like a good pasta that has been overcooked.” ― Asa Don Brown
Toxic relationship quotes that will inspire to make some big changes
10. “Toxic people attach themselves like cinder blocks tied to your ankles, and then invite you for a swim in their poisoned waters.”― John Mark Green
11. “Like arsenic, toxic people will slowly kill you. They kill your positive spirit and play with your mind and emotions. The only cure is to let them go.” — Dennisse Lisseth
12. “Don’t light yourself on fire trying to brighten someone else’s existence.” ― Charlotte Eriksson
13. “Thinking of you is a poison I drink often.” ― Atticus
If you’re enjoying these quotes, check out our Atticus quotes from the New York Tikes best selling poet.
14. “You make me feel like a firefly. Trapped in a bell jar; starved for love.” ― Ayushee Ghoshal
15. Stop setting yourself on fire to keep someone else warm. ― Unknown
16. “We can deeply love our poison. We can love the taste of it, the scent of it, the comforting weight of it in our belly and find ourselves woken in the night with stabbing cramps, arms around porcelain toilet bowls, hurling every last bit until collapsing on bathroom tile, limp from dehydration. Sometimes parting with love is essential for survival. I’ve found the most tragic aspect of losing loved ones wasn’t the big boom of the fallout, but realizing later how much healthier I was without them.” ― Maggie Young
You might also like these ex quotes and sayings for when you’re going through a break-up.
How to handle a toxic relationship quotes
17. “Fire False Friends as early as possible. Do it before they dig out the dream seeds you’ve planted! The earlier, the better; the quicker, the safer!” ― Israelmore Ayivor
18. “Forgiveness is a personal process that doesn’t depend on us having direct contact with the people who have hurt us.” ― Sharon Salzberg
19. “There are only two kinds of people who can drain your energy: those you love, and those you fear. In both instances, it is you who let them in. They did not force their way into your aura, or pry their way into your reality experience.” ― Anthon St. Maarten
20. “May you reach that level within, where you no longer allow your past or people with toxic intentions to negatively affect or condition you.” ― Lalah Delia
21. “Life is too short to hang around people who are causing you to compromise. Pulling you down. Your time is too valuable to waste it with people who don’t have a dream. People that aren’t going anywhere. You don’t need to make some big announcement, but little by little, you should spend less time with them. ― Joel Osteen
22. “Dear Self: Stop re-opening your doors for toxic people, then calling it ‘seeking closure.’ Certain things don’t work out in life . . . and that’s ok.” — Reyna Biddy
23. “Don’t allow someone not worth it to have the power to occupy your thoughts.” ― Donna Lynn Hope
24. “Don’t settle for a relationship that won’t let you be yourself.” ― Oprah Winfrey
25. “When it comes to abuse, you believe there’s no way out. There is always help. There is always a way out.” ― Rev. Donna Mulvey
26. “Losing will not always amount to a loss, sometimes you have to lose those toxic relationships and bad habits to create a space for better things.” ― Gift Gugu Mona
Leaving a toxic relationship quotes
27. “When being in a toxic relationship in life at times you may have to step outside yourself, to see yourself, so you can find yourself and love yourself again.” ― Angel Moreira
28. “I burned my bridges so the devil couldn’t follow me.” ― L.M. Browning
29. “We all have that toxic people around us that make our lives miserable… The day we take them out from our lives, we will all become better people; including them…” ― Rodolfo Peon
30. “You don’t ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life.” ― Unknown
31. “It’s one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and continues to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go.” — Daniell Koepke
32. “Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself.” — Hussein Nishah
33. There must come a time when your love for yourself becomes more important than your need to hold onto the pain of your past. ― Karen Salmansohn
34. “I seem to be torn between ‘I wish we’d met earlier’ and ‘I wish we’d never met’.” ― Ahmed Mostafa
Also read these manipulation quotes and sayings to keep toxic people away.
Meaningful toxic relationship quotes
35. “The wise do not consider the chains and shackles of jail to be the toughest restraints. The chains of attachment are the strongest of the ties that bind.” ― Thich Nhat Hanh
36. “Oh what an ill fate it was that has made me love that man.” ― Iris Murdoch
37. “How you choose to feel today should not be dependent on others.” ― Anthon St. Maarten
38. “I know people can be awful dooms for each other.” ― Iris Murdoch
39. “Sometimes there are things in life that aren’t meant to stay. Sometimes change may not be what we want. Sometimes change is what we need.” — Don Bolena Jr.
40. “We teach people how to treat us.” — Dr. Phil
41. “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
42. “It’s better to be healthy alone than sick with someone else.” ― Dr. Phil
43. “The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too.” ― Ernest Hemingway
44. “It’s amazing how someone can break your heart and you can still love them with all the little pieces.” ― Ella Harper
45. “It was strange, really. A couple of months ago, I had thought I couldn’t live without him. Apparently I could.” ― Gabrielle Zevin
46. “Some people live in cages with bars built from their own fears and doubts. Some people live in cages with bars built from other people’s fears and doubts; their parents, their friends, their brothers and sisters, their families. Some people live in cages with bars built from the choices others made for them, the circumstances other people imposed upon them. And some people break free.” ― C. JoyBell C.
47. “I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” ― C.G. Jung
48. One’s dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.” ― Michael J. Fox
49. “Don’t judge yourself by what others did to you.” ― C. Kennedy
50. “Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got.” ― Robert Brault
What did you learn from these toxic relationship quotes?
Toxic relationships are not always romantic relationships, sometimes, they are present in our friendships and even familial dynamics. One of the most difficult aspects of these relationships is that, as humans, we want someone else to admit that they hurt us. This doesn’t always happen, and there is a resilience in moving on and knowing that is ok.
It is more than acceptable for you to demand respect in these relationships. So many of these quotes refer to loving who you are and knowing the joy you bring to the world around you. I hope you felt that.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these toxic relationships quotes and sayings? Leave a comment below with your favorite quote, or any advice for someone who might need to find themselves again.