25 Monet Quotes for the Impressionist In You
May 6, 2023 6:00 AM EST
Be inspired by the impression of a moment in time with these Monet quotes!
Claude Monet was a French Impressionist Painter best known for his paintings of water lilies.
Tell us your favorite Monet quote in the comment section.
You may also enjoy reading these related articles:
What are the benefits of reading Monet quotes?
Monet is widely regarded as perhaps the greatest Impressionist painter of all time.
Unlike other academic painters of the time, Monet worked to capture the fleeting moments in nature.
He wanted to capture the “impression” of a moment instead of a literal representation of a subject.
Reading these Monet quotes will inspire you to look beyond the literal, see the “feeling” of life, and gain a deeper appreciation for its transient beauty.
Born in Paris in 1840, Monet grew up on the Normandy coast and developed a passion for painting at a young age.
He studied art in Paris and would spend his entire life creating the most influential Impressionist paintings in the world.
Monet’s painting style emphasized the effects of light and atmosphere on the landscape, and he loved to work outdoors to capture the fluidity of nature.
He was also interested in changing seasons and how they affected the appearance of landscapes, so many of his works explored this theme.
Monet is best known for his series of paintings of water lilies, inspired by a small pond he created outside his home in his later years.
The series contains over 250 oil paintings done over 30 years, each with individual titles.
Some of the best-known works of the series include:
- “Water Lilies, Morning”
- “Water Lilies, Setting Sun”
- “Water Lilies, Agapanthus”
- “Water Lilies, Evening Effect”
- “Water Lilies and Japanese Bridge”
Monet’s work profoundly impacted the art world and influenced generations of artists who followed him.
His legacy continues today, and his paintings are highly sought after by collectors and museums worldwide.
Enjoy the following Monet quotes!
Monet quotes on life
Enjoy these quotes about Monet and learn more about him and his life.
1. “My life has been nothing but a failure.” — Claude Monet
2. “My wish is to stay always like this, living quietly in a corner of nature.” — Claude Monet
3. “The richness I achieve comes from nature, the source of my inspiration.” — Claude Monet
4. “The light constantly changes, and that alters the atmosphere and beauty of things every minute.” — Claude Monet
5. “I pass my time in the open air on the beach when it is really heavy weather or when the boats go out fishing.” — Claude Monet
Monet quotes about being an artist
These quotes will inspire you as an artist.
6. “I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers.” — Claude Monet
7. “I have always worked better alone and from my own impressions.” — Claude Monet
8. “I have never had a studio, and I do not understand shutting oneself up in a room. To draw, yes; to paint, no.” — Claude Monet
9. “No one is an artist unless he carries his picture in his head before painting it, and is sure of his method and composition.” — Claude Monet
10. “I am working, but when one has ceased to do seascape, it is the devil afterward – very difficult; it changes at every instant, and here the weather varies several times in the same day.” — Claude Monet
Best Monet quotes
Enjoy some of the best quotes from the legendary artist.
11. “I must have flowers, always, and always.” — Claude Monet
12. “I would like to paint the way a bird sings.” — Claude Monet
13. “What keeps my heart awake is colorful silence.” — Claude Monet
14. “Color is my day-long obsession, joy, and torment.” — Claude Monet
15. “Every day, I discover more and more beautiful things. It’s enough to drive one mad.” — Claude Monet
Monet quotes about love and inspiration
Art is well connected with inspiration and creativity, as shown in the following quotes.
16. “I can only draw what I see.” — Claude Monet
17. “One can do something if one can see and understand it.” — Claude Monet
18. “Eventually, my eyes were opened, and I really understood nature. I learned to love at the same time.” — Claude Monet
19. “I would advise young artists to paint as they can, as long as they can, without being afraid of painting badly.” — Claude Monet
20. “People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand when it’s simply necessary to love.” — Claude Monet
Monet quotes about his garden and water lilies
Learn more about Monet’s passion for nature in the following quotes.
21. “Waterlilies is the extension of my life.” — Claude Monet
22. “My garden is my most beautiful masterpiece.” — Claude Monet
23. “It took me time to understand my water lilies.” — Claude Monet
24. “I work at my garden all the time and with love.” — Claude Monet
25. “My garden is a slow work, pursued with love, and I do not deny that I am proud of it.” — Claude Monet
The personal side of Claud Monet
Being such a well-loved and prolific Impressionist artist, it’s hard to imagine that Monet endured many struggles throughout his artistic career.
However, he did indeed.
Monet’s paintings were not well-received by the art establishment during his lifetime, and he wasn’t successful at selling his work until later in life.
Another little-known fact is that he had quite a large family.
Married twice and having eight children, Monet often struggled to support them financially.
He also suffered from cataracts in his later years, which affected his ability to see colors accurately, and was detrimental to his painting.
Another detriment to Monet’s artistic career was the death of his second wife, Alice.
Her death affected him deeply, and he stopped painting for a time before returning to work.
Tell us your favorite Monet quote in the comment section.
If you found these Monet quotes inspiring, please share them with others by clicking the Share button!