Monster Quotes About Real and Imaginary Evils
September 8, 2022 6:00 PM EST
These monster quotes will open up your eyes to the thoughts of the people who created some of the most famous literary monsters of our time.
The definition of a “monster” is one we are all probably familiar with: a strange or horrible imaginary creature that is often extremely or unusually large.
Think Shrek, Godzilla, or Sulley from Monster’s Inc.
Then there is Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, which personifies the definition of the word “monster.”
They are not the only authors familiar with monsters whose words made an appearance on this list of monster quotes.
Stephen King and Edgar Allan Poe, both no strangers to monsters, also had quite a few to add.
Each of these authors makes an interesting point.
Are monsters really imaginary?
Or are they the horrible people in the world, or the demons we battle within ourselves?
Keep reading to find out just what makes a monster.
Don’t forget to also check out these Monsters Inc quotes from the hit Disney movie.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Explore our complete collection of motivational quotes here.
Monster quotes from Stephen King and other writers
1. “Sometimes human places create inhuman monsters.” ― Stephen King
You will also enjoy our article on edgar allan poe quotes.
2. “Oh, monsters are scared, said Lettie. That’s why they’re monsters.” ― Neil Gaiman
3. “Monsters are real, and ghosts are real, too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.” ― Stephen King
You will also enjoy our article on Frankenstein quotes.
4. “The scariest monsters are the ones that lurk within our souls.” ― Edgar Allan Poe
5. “I believe there are monsters born in the world to human parents.” ― John Steinbeck
6. “There are no heroes. In life, the monsters win.” ― George R. R. Martin
7. “It’s men you should be afraid of, not monsters.” ― Niccolo Ammaniti
8. “Eddie discovered one of his childhood’s great truths. Grownups are the real monsters, he thought.” ― Stephen King
9. “Heroes need monsters to establish their heroic credentials.” ― Margaret Atwood
10. “Monsters come in all shapes and sizes.” ― Neil Gaiman
You will also enjoy our article on Monsters Inc. quotes.
Monster quotes from the authors of Frankenstein and Dracula
11. “The world seems full of good men – even if there are monsters in it.” ― Bram Stoker
12. “It is true, we shall be monsters, cut off from all the world; but on that account, we shall be more attached to one another.” ― Mary Shelley
13. “Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.” ― Mary Shelley
14. “I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.” ― Mary Shelley
15. “What terrified me will terrify others, and I need only describe the specter which had haunted my midnight pillow.” ― Mary Shelley
16. “How blessed are some people whose lives have no fears, no dreads; to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly and brings nothing but sweet dreams.” ― Bram Stoker
17. “Whether it is the old lady’s fear, or the many ghostly traditions of this place, or the crucifix itself, I do not know, but I am not feeling nearly as easy in my mind as usual.” ― Bram Stoker
18. “No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.” ― Bram Stoker
19. “The last I saw of Count Dracula was his kissing his hand to me; with a red light of triumph in his eyes, and with a smile that Judas in hell might be proud of.” ― Bram Stoker
20. “I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel.” ― Mary Shelley
Insightful monster quotes that are perfect for Instagram
21. “Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters.” ― Victor Hugo
22. “Monsters are the patron saints of imperfection.” ― Guillermo del Toro
23. “You get to choose what monsters you want to slay.” ― Carrie Fisher
24. “There are very few monsters who warrant the fear we have of them.” ― Andre Gide
25. “Everyone carries around his own monsters.” ― Richard Pryor
26. “I’ve done enough running from monsters. It’s time to do some chasing.” ― Noah Schnapp
27. “It’s ironic, but until you can free those final monsters within the jungle of yourself, your life, your soul is up for grabs.” ― Rona Barrett
28. “We create monsters and then we can’t control them.” ― Joel Coen
29. “Well, the first thing is that I love monsters, I identify with monsters.” ― Guillermo del Toro
30. “The ego is a fascinating monster.” ― Alanis Morissette
Revealing monster quotes about humanity
31. “The scariest monsters are human beings and what we will do to each other.” ― Jared Harris
32. “Everyone has monsters and demons within themselves. They’re metaphors for the human condition.” ― Mark Pellegrino
33. “If you battle monsters, you don’t always become a monster. But you aren’t entirely human anymore, either.” ― Jonathan Maberry
34. “There’s monsters in all of us, but there’s also vulnerability.” ― Finn Wittrock
35. “The best monsters are our anxieties given form. They make sense on the level of a dream – or a nightmare.” ― Victor LaValle
36. “Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
37. “As movie monsters go, zombies are the most human. They were human at one time. So we are confronted with ourselves in a way, which is much more frightening and disturbing.” ― George A. Romero
38. “I am able to play monsters well. I understand monsters. I understand madmen.” ― Anthony Hopkins
39. “My three years in politics was very instructive about the way in which the appetite for political power can destroy a human mind, destroy principles and values, and transform people into little monsters.” ― Mario Vargas Llosa
40. “Monsters almost always are culture’s way of working out their fears and are thus inherently incredibly interesting and powerful.” ― Catherynne M. Valente
Short monster quotes
41. “Monsters aren’t as scary if you start shining lights on them.” ― Wyatt Cenac
42. “Not all the monsters have fangs.” ― J. A. London
43. “The dream of reason produces monsters.” ― Francisco Goya
44. “Monsters die out when the collective imagination no longer needs them.” ― Glen Duncan
45. “Where there is a monster, there is a miracle.” ― Ogden Nash
46. “Monsters don’t get happy endings.” ― Paula Stokes
47. “The monsters are in your own head.” ― Paula Cole
48. “Ignorance is the womb of monsters.” ― Henry Ward Beecher
49. “Imagination creates some big monsters.” ― Olivier Martinez
50. “Real monsters eat you from the inside out.” ― Dia Reeves
Notable Monster Quotes You Can Apply In Real Life
51. “The real world is where the monsters are.” — Rick Riordan
52.” Monsters will always exist. There’s one inside each of us. But an angel lives there, too.” — Jacqueline Novogratz
53. “No one’s the monster in their own story. Monsters are just a matter of perspective.” — C.A. Fletcher
54. “Know that all my monsters are really smiling, in their hearts. Well, they would be if they had hearts.” — Daniel Reeder
55. “The monsters of the mind are far worse than those that actually exist. Fear, doubt, and hate have hamstrung more people than beasts ever have.” — Christopher Paolini
56. “We make our own monsters, then fear them for what they show us about ourselves.” — Mike Carey
57. “Man is armed with craft and courage, which, untamed by justice, he will most wickedly pervert, and become at once the most impious and the fiercest of monsters” .— Aristotle
58. “In a world of monsters, you had to be a ghost to survive.” — Rob Thurman
59. Every monster was a man first. — Edward Albee
60. We are a race prone to monsters … and when we produce one we worship it. — Iain M Banks
I Am A Monster Quotes
61. “Scary monsters do not have plaque!” ‒ Mike Wazowski
62. “They all want me. I’m a monster.” ‒ Becky G.
63. “I’m a monster, I’m a genius. Man, I’m working so hard.” ‒ Lucha and Godmode
64. “We’re monsters, Liv. We eat people.” ‒ Lowell
65. “I’m a monster inside and out.” ‒ Wade Wilson
66. “My own mother thought I was a monster… She was right, of course, but it still hurt.” ‒ Princess Azula
67. “I’m a very neat monster.” ‒ Jeff Lindsay
68. “I’m a monster, said the shadow of the Marquess suddenly. Everyone says so.” ‒ Catherynne M. Valente
69. “I do not sleep because I am not only afraid of the monsters at my door, but also of the monsters my own mind can conjure. The ones that live within.” ‒ Samantha Shannon
70. “The monsters of our childhood do not fade away, neither are they ever wholly monstrous.” ‒ John Le Carre
Scary Monster Quotes To Make You Feel Thrilled
71. “People often believed they were safer in the light, thinking monsters only came out at night.” — CJ Roberts
72. “I love all of mythology and rules pertaining to all of the monsters, but I like to go the extra step.” — Stephen Sommers
73. “I am not the same man you found that day! The monster you’ve created has returned, to kill you!” — Matthew Woodring Stover
74. “Nothing is poetical if plain daylight is not poetical; and no monster should amaze us if the normal man does not amaze.” — Gilbert K. Chesterton
75. “I wanted to meet the monster. Why go down if you can go up?” — Ellen Hopkins
76. “I don’t think of myself as an evil monster and I hope I’m not.” — Chester Brown
77. “There will always be that dreadful monster prejudice to do extra battle against because of their color.” — Major Taylor
78. “Fantasy, abandoned by reason, produces impossible monsters; united with it, she is the mother of the arts and the origin of marvels.” — Francisco Goya
79. “We were all monsters and bastards, and we were all beautiful.” — Rachel Hartman
80. “The monstrous act by definition demands a monster.” — Rick Yancey
What did you learn from these monster quotes?
Thinking of monsters as people and not imaginary things is definitely scarier than reading a horror novel.
Especially, when you ask, “what makes someone a monster?”
These real-life monsters often display horrific amounts of brutality and cruelty.
They can lie and manipulate, and take joy in hurting others.
The damage done by human monsters lasts a lifetime too.
However, if you have encountered a monster in your life, then you also know about strength and resilience.
Both of these are characteristics of heroes.
When the hero of a book or movie defeats a monster, they are idolized.
When real human beings face and overcome their monsters, it is a much different process.
One that often involves them battling for their mental health and normal life.
If you have done that and made it through, you are an inspiration.
It is exhausting, but we see you and you are not alone.
Want to tell us what you think makes someone a monster?
Do you have a favorite monster quote or saying that didn’t make the list?
You can leave your thoughts in the comment section below.