These quotes about being young at heart will inspire you to seize every moment.
We view age and aging differently.
To give you a glimpse of how diverse the concept of aging really is to many, here are age quotes from famous people including celebrities whose fame and success are anchored upon youth, energy and yes, being pretty.
Do you believe age is just but a number?
While growing old is usually associated with wisdom, some tend to disagree believing age has nothing to do with maturity.
For them, age is just numbers and does not define character nor dictate how anyone’s life should be lived.
Still, others would rather avoid or ignore the subject.
Whether you think it’s too soon for you to worry about aging or you’ve just realized now is the best time to start caring, here’s a list of age quotes you can get inspiration from.
Don’t forget to also check out these getting older quotes that will make you embrace the beauty in aging.
Young at heart quotes inviting you to seize every moment
1. “A wealth of experience and wisdom doesn’t have to be a dead giveaway to your increasing years. The spin you put on it is what will keep you young. Don’t let it make you bitter. Learn from it, and let it make you better.” – Jayleigh Cape
2. “About the only thing that comes to us without effort is old age.” – Gloria Pitzer
3. “Age does not make us childish as some say. It finds us true children.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
4. “Age is of no importance unless you’re a cheese.” – Billie Burke
5. “Age should not have its face lifted, but it should rather teach the world to admire wrinkles as the etchings of experience and the firm line of character.” – Clarence Day
6. “All things old become new again. In my youth, the athletes had crew cuts and the hippies had long hair. Now the athletes have long hair and the hippies are bald.” – Harley King
7. “Don’t try to be young. Just open your mind. Stay interested in stuff. There are so many things I won’t live long enough to find out about, but I’m still curious about them.” – Betty White
8. “Even from a very early age, I knew I didn’t want to miss out on anything life had to offer just because it might be considered dangerous.” – Nicole Kidman
9. “George Macdonald said, ‘If you knew what God knows about death you would clap your listless hands’, but instead I find old people in North America just buying this whole youth obsession. I think growing older is a wonderful privilege. I want to learn to glorify God in every stage of my life.” – Elisabeth Elliot
10. “I am not young enough to know everything.” – Oscar Wilde
Age quotes on life lessons
11. “I don’t believe in aging. I believe in forever altering one’s aspect to the sun.” – Virginia Woolf
12. “I look forward to being older, when what you look like becomes less and less an issue and what you are is the point.” – Susan Sarandon
13. “I think people would live a bit longer if they didn’t know how old they were. Age puts restrictions on things.” – Karl Pilkington
14. “If a woman tells you she’s twenty and looks sixteen, she’s twelve. If she tells you she’s twenty-six and looks twenty-six, she’s damn near forty.” – Chris Rock
15. “Is someone different at age 18 or 60? I believe one stays the same.” – Hayao Miyazaki
16. “It is a mistake to regard age as a downhill grade toward dissolution. The reverse is true. As one grows older, one climbs with surprising strides.” – George Sand
17. “It’s easy to grow old if you haven’t grown up.” – John Hively
18. “It’s paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone but the idea of getting old doesn’t appeal to anyone.” – Andy Rooney
19. “Life is all but a dream we will soon wake up to and be 7 years old again.” – Kira Jeffries
20. “Men are most virile and attractive between the ages of 35 and 55. Under 35, a man has too much to learn and I don’t have time to teach him.” – Hedy Lamarr
You might also like these legacy quotes to remind you of where you come from.
Age quotes that will inspire you to make the most of your life
21. “No, that is the great fallacy: the wisdom of old men. They do not grow wise. They grow careful.” – Ernest Hemingway
22. “Old age ain’t no place for sissies.” – Bette Davis
23. “Someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.” – C.S. Lewis
24. “Some guy said to me, ‘Don’t you think you’re too old to sing rock n’ roll?’ I said, ‘You’d better check with Mick Jagger.” – Cher
25. “The error of youth is to believe that intelligence is a substitute for experience, while the error of age is to believe experience is a substitute for intelligence.” – Lyman Bryson
26. “The good thing about being old is not being young.” – Stephen Richards
27. “There is a fountain of youth. it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.” – Sophia Loren
28. “When I was a boy, the Dead Sea was only sick.” – George Burns
29. “When people talk about the good old days, I say to people, ‘It’s not the days that are old, it’s you that’s old.’ I hate the good old days. What is important is that today is good.” – Karl Lagerfeld
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Karl Lagerfeld quotes that will make you see the art in life.
30. “Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been.” – Mark Twain
Age quotes to help you seize your opportunities
31. “You don’t stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.” – Michael Pritchard
32. “You know you’re old when you’re watching ‘Karate Kid’ and you realize you’re more attracted to Mr. Miagi than Ralph Macchio.” – Hayley Linfield
33. “You know, when I first went into the movies Lionel Barrymore played my grandfather. Later, he played my father and finally, he played my husband. If he had lived, I’m sure I would have played his mother. That’s the way it is in Hollywood. The men get younger and the women get older.” – Lillian Gish
34. “A man’s age is something impressive, it sums up his life. Maturity reached slowly and against many obstacles, illnesses cured, griefs and despairs overcome, and unconscious risks taken. Maturity formed through so many desires, hopes, regrets, forgotten things, loves. A man’s age represents a fine cargo of experiences and memories.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
35. “Age does not matter if the matter does not age.” – Carlos P. Romulo
36. “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.” – Paulo Coelho
37. “Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.” – Mark Twain
38. “Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.” – J. K. Rowling
39. “Age is just a number. It’s totally irrelevant unless, of course, you happen to be a bottle of wine.” – Joan Collins
40. “Age is no guarantee of maturity.” – Lawana Blackwell
Thoughtful quotes about age and aging
41. “Age is whatever you think it is. You are as old as you think you are.”- Muhammad Ali
42. “Age swallows our childhood.” – Terri Guillemets
43. “As you get older, you don’t get wiser. You get irritable.” – Doris Lessing
44. “At age 20, we worry about what others think of us. At age 40, we don’t care what they think of us. At age 60, we discover they haven’t been thinking of us at all.” – Ann Landers
45. “I don’t look my age. I don’t feel my age and I don’t act my age. To me age is just a number.” – Joan Collins
46. “In youth we learn. In age we understand.” – Ebner-Eschenbach
47. “People say that age is just a state of mind. I say it’s more about the state of your body.” – Geoffrey Parfitt
48. “Sometimes age succeeds, sometimes it fails. It depends on you.” – Ravensara Noite
49. “Young men speak about the future because they have no past, and old men speak of the past because they have no future.” – Boyd K. Packer
50. “Youth is the gift of nature but age is a work of art.” – Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
Other insightful age quotes
51. “Youth can not know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young.” – J.K. Rowling
52. “The great thing about getting older is that you don’t lose all the other ages you’ve been.” – Madeleine L’Engle
53. “Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed.” – Charles Schultz
54. “There is a certain part of all of us that lives outside of time. Perhaps we become aware of our age only at exceptional moments and most of the time we are ageless.” – Milan Kundera
55. “Thirty–the promise of a decade of loneliness, a thinning list of single men to know, a thinning brief-case of enthusiasm, thinning hair.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
56. “With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone.” – Oscar Wilde
57. “Just because a person is young doesn’t mean that being loyal to someone isn’t important. And it still hurts if someone isn’t loyal to you.” – C.C. Hunter
58. “Youthfulness is about how you live not when you were born.” – Karl Lagerfeld
59. “A man that is young in years may be old in hours if he have lost no time.” – Francis Bacon
60. “Respect the young and chastise your elders. It’s about time the world was set aright.” – Vera Nazarian
Age quotes to remind you it’s about your mindset
61. “Try to keep your soul young and quivering right up to old age.” –George Sand
62. “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.” –Henry Ford
63. “You can’t help getting older, but you don’t have to get old.” –George Burns
64. “As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.” –Andrew Carnegie
65. “Aging is not lost youth but a new stage of opportunity and strength.” –Betty Friedan
66. “None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm.” –Henry David Thoreau
67. “I’m happy to report that my inner child is still ageless.” –James Broughton
68. “Men are like wine – some turn to vinegar, but the best improve with age.” –Pope John XXIII
69. “Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.” –John Adams
70. “It is not how old you are, but how you are old.” –Jules Renard
More age quotes for all ages
71. “One of the many things nobody ever tells you about middle age is that it’s such a nice change from being young.” – William Feather
72. “There is always some specific moment when we become aware that our youth is gone; but, years after, we know it was much later.” – Mignon McLaughlin
73. “I’m not afraid of aging.” – Shelley Duvall
74. “Age is no barrier. It’s a limitation you put on your mind.” – Jackie Joyner-Kersee
75. “Sometimes, people use age as a convenient excuse. ‘I’m to old too start something new’, or, ‘I couldn’t learn that at my age.’ Other people, though, go on to achieve their greatest accomplishments in life in later years.” – Catherine Pulsifer
76. “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
77. ”You are never too old to become younger!” – Mae West
79. “As I started getting older, I realized, ‘I’m so happy!’ I didn’t expect this! I wasn’t happy when I was young.’” – Jane Fonda
80. “A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.” – John Barrymore
Age Quotes To Fill You With Wisdom
81. “Cool to warm. So is the progression from childhood to old age.” ― Vera Nazarian
82. “When we age we shed many skins: ego, arrogance, dominance, self-opinionated, unreliable, pessimism, rudeness, selfish, uncaring … Wow, it’s good to be old!” ― Stephen Richards
83. “Age is frequently beautiful, wisdom appearing like an aftermath.” ― Benjamin Disraeli
84. “Age isn’t how old you are but how old you feel.” ― Gabriel Garcia Marquez
85. “Cautious age suspects the flattering form, and only credits what experience tells.” ― Samuel Johnson
86. “Age makes you want to hold everyone you love as close as you can.” ― Lara Adrian
87. “He had an answer to almost everything and he retired at an early age.” ― Dejan Stojanovic
88. “I am much beholden to old age, which has increased my eagerness for conversation in proportion as it has lessened my appetites of hunger and thirst.” ― Marcus Tullius Cicero
89. “There was a considerable difference between the ages of my parents, but this circumstance seemed to unite them only closer in bonds of devoted affection.” ― Mary Shelley
90. “How blest is he who crowns in shades like these: A youth of labor with an age of ease!” ― Oliver Goldsmith
What did you learn from these age quotes?
These age quotes are diverse but somehow, they partly mirror the philosophy behind a popular saying, “Youth is wasted on the young.”
Although this philosophy can be interpreted in many different ways, it can also mean anyone gifted with life is gifted with the opportunity to age and live longer – old and young alike.
This gift of aging is not given to everyone and so must not be wasted by those who are privileged to use and make something out of it.
Remember, time does not stand still.
Everything is fleeting including life itself.
Perhaps, it will be best if we can seize our every moment, make something good out of it, and learn from the pains and joys that would come out of it.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these age quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
August 21, 2022 6:00 AM EST