These Peter Pan quotes resonate with kids and adults alike.
Peter Pan was created by J.M, Barrie in 1904 and debuted as a play. In 1911 he would evolve the work into a novel.
Walt Disney would later rob his piggy bank to purchase tickets to see a production of Peter Pan, starring Maude Adams (Stacy Conradt, 2016). Walt would later go on to play Peter Pan in a school play.
Disney’s version of Peter Pan earned $40 million upon its original release. It is a tale of eternal youth, parental abandonment, and magical fairies all wrapped up into one fanciful, pirate filled work of art.
Here are some of the best quotes from J.M. Barie’s and Disney’s versions, and Robin Williams’ as Peter in Hook.
Peter Pan quotes about fairies
1. “When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
2. “Fairies have to be one thing or the other because being so small they, unfortunately, have room for one feeling only at a time.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
3. “You’re a… you’re a complex Freudian hallucination having something to do with my mother and I don’t know why you have wings, but you have very lovely legs and you’re a very nice tiny person and what am I saying, I don’t know who my mother was; I’m an orphan and I’ve never taken drugs because I missed the ’60s, I was an accountant.” – Peter Banning, Hook
4. “Firefly from hell!” – Peter Banning, Hook
5. “Oh my God, I think I killed it.” – Peter Banning, Hook
6. “Fairies don’t live long, but they are so little that a short time seems a good while to them.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Peter Pan quotes about flying
7. “The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.” – J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan
8. “Now, think of the happiest things. It’s the same as having wings!” – Peter Pan, Disney
9. “All the world is made of faith, and trust, and pixie dust.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
10. “Second star to the right and straight on ’til morning.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
11. “All it takes is faith and trust, oh! and something I forgot: dust.” – Peter Pan, Disney
12. “Wendy, Wendy, when you are sleeping in your silly bed you might be flying about with me saying funny things to the stars.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
13. “Jack, Maggie, all you have to do is think one happy thought, and you’ll fly like me.” – Peter Banning, Hook
14. “In time they could not even fly after their hats. Want of practice, they called it; but what it really meant was that they no longer believed.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
15. “I’ll teach you how to jump on the wind’s back, and then away we go.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Peter Pan quotes about adventure
See more quotes about adventure.
16. “To die will be an awfully big adventure.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
17. “Would you like an adventure now, or would like to have your tea first?” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
18. “I don’t want to go to school and learn solemn things.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
19. “Dark and sinister man, have at thee.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
20. “Children have the strangest adventures without being troubled by them. For instance, they may remember to mention, a week after the event happened, that when they were in the wood they had met their dead father and had a game with him.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
21. “You don’t think I would kill him while he was sleeping! I would wake him first, and then kill him. That’s the way I always do.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
22. “Keep adventuring and stay not a grown-up.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Peter Pan quotes about growing up
23. “Go on! Go back and grow up! But I’m warning you, once you’re grown up you can never come back.” – Peter Pan, Disney
24. “Think of all the joy you’ll find when you leave the world behind and bid your cares goodbye.” – Peter Pan, Disney
25. “Come with me, where dreams are born and time is never planned.” – Peter Pan, Disney
26. “I came to listen to the stories.” – Peter Pan, Disney
27. “Forget them, Wendy. Forget them all. Come with me where you’ll never, never have to worry about grown-up things again.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
28. “Don’t grow up. It’s a trap.” – Peter Pan, Disney
29. “If growing up means it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I’ll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Also read these insightful Ron Swanson quotes that will inspire you to live your life on your own terms.
Peter Pan quotes that are wise beyond his years
30. “Never is an awfully long time.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
31. “It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
32. “Dreams do come true, if only we wish hard enough. You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it.” – Peter Pan, Disney
33. “When there’s a smile in your heart, there’s no better time to start.” – Peter Pan, Disney
34. “One girl is worth more than twenty boys.” – Peter Pan, Disney
35. “All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again.” – J.M. Barrie , Peter Pan
36. “Absence makes the heart grow fonder… or forgetful.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
37. “It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Robin Williams best quotes as Pan (Peter Banning)
38. “I’m not a pirate. It so happens I am a lawyer.” – Peter Banning, Hook
39. “Oh, Rufio, why don’t you just go suck on a dead dog’s nose?” – Peter Banning, Hook
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these hilarious Talladega Nights quotes that will make you feel like a winner.
40. “Oh, no. To live… to live would be an awfully big adventure.” – Peter Banning, Hook
41. “You’re not old enough to shave! What are you doing with a sword? And flying around… this is an insurance nightmare!” – Peter Banning, Hook
42. “What is this, some sort of Lord of the Flies preschool? Where are your parents? Who’s in charge, here?” – Peter Banning, Hook
43. “No! No, Mr. Skunkhead with too much mousse. You are just a punk kid. I want to speak to a grown-up!” – Peter Banning, Hook
44. “You killed Rufio, you kidnapped my children. You deserve to die.” – Peter Banning, Hook
45. “Don’t mess with me man, I’m a lawyer!” – Peter Banning, Hook
46. “Wow. Brad, hi! You been holding this long? Uh-huh. I’m incredible. Yeah, Neverland. Uh-huh. Lost Boys. Jim Hook, duel to the death. I’ll fill you in later. Listen, I’d love to chat, but I gotta climb a drain pipe right now. Why? Because I ran out of fairy dust, if not I would’ve flown up.” – Peter Banning, Hook
47. “You are a very ill-mannered young man. Do you know that?” – Peter Banning, Hook
48. “I remember you being a lot bigger.” – Peter Banning, Hook
49. “I bet you don’t even have a fourth-grade reading level.” – Peter Banning, Hook
50. “You lewd, crude, rude, bag of pre-chewed food, Dude.” – Peter Banning, Hook
Don’t forget to also read these inspirational Dead Poets Society quotes that will make you think differently.
More Peter Pan quotes
51. “I am the best there ever was!” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
52. “I’ll hold you in my heart, until I can hold you in my arms.” – JM Barrie, Peter Pan
53. “Don’t you understand? You mean more to me than anything in this entire world.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
54. “Two is the beginning of the end.” – J.M. Barrie’s, Peter Pan
55. “To reveal who he really was would even at this date set the country in a blaze.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Did you enjoy these Peter Pan quotes?
Peter Pan is a classic worth reading and watching in whatever form you choose. I had to stop writing last night and share the masterpiece that is Hook from 1991, with the kids.
The late, great Robin Williams will always be my favorite Pan. I hadn’t watched it since I was a child, and watching it as an adult, I was reminded of the sadder nature of the original piece. It is important to enjoy your youth and childhood and savor those moments.
However, I am glad that I don’t live in Neverland because my greatest joy in life has been watching my children savor their childhoods. My greatest sadness is that it goes by far too fast, and I secretly wish I could take them to visit Neverland for a while! I just might leave the window open tonight…
Which of these memorable Peter Pan quotes is your favorite? Do you have any other quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 14, 2021 6:00 AM EST