Our latest collection of ‘sorry for your loss’ quotes that will remind you of the power of a loved one’s memory.
The death of a loved one is one of the hardest facts of life we face as human beings. Regardless of whether a loved one’s death is sudden or expected doesn’t change the sadness that we feel. It is also difficult to come up with the words to say when expressing your condolences for someone else’s loss.
Words seem hardly adequate when someone you love is experiencing profound grief. So, just what can you say when you are trying to tell a friend that you are sorry for their loss? These ‘sorry for your loss’ quotes will help you find the perfect passage to write in a card. They will also help you understand death and grief alternatively; that you can pass along to someone else.
Both of my parents died suddenly; one in a car accident when she was 40, and the other had a heart attack at 50. I often questioned if knowing they were going to die would have made the grief any “easier.” My grandpa, who raised me, died of Alzheimer’s when he was 86. He was sick for so long and then spent a week in hospice. It was agonizing and slow, and it did not lessen the pain, even though I got to say goodbye.
Keep reading through these ‘sorry for your loss’ quotes to learn how grief and the memories of our loved ones affect our lives.
Don’t forget to also read these grief quotes celebrating the life of someone who passed away.
Sorry for your loss quotes that you can write in a card
1. “What a beautiful life they lived. I’m so very sorry for your loss.” — Unknown
2. “My heart is heavy today, and I know yours is too.” — Unknown
3. “As you go through this difficult time, remember that you are so loved.” — Unknown
4. “A lifetime together is never enough. I am thinking of both of you with so much love.” — Unknown
5. “No matter how old we are, it’s never easy to lose a parent. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you grieve.” — Unknown
6. “My heart goes out to you after this sudden loss. You’re in my thoughts and prayers.” — Unknown
7. “Please know I’m here for you and I’m thinking of you all the time.” — Unknown
8. “I can’t imagine the pain you’re feeling. I’m here if you need to talk.” — Unknown
9. “Don’t let go of your precious memories. They’ll get you through this troublesome time.” — Unknown
10. “I know words can’t take away the hurt you’re feeling, but I want you to know how much I care. Sending you love and strength in this time of loss.” — Unknown
11. “Those we have held in our arms for a short while we hold in our hearts forever.” — Unknown
Sorry for your loss quotes about the power of a loved one’s memory
12. “Let the grateful memories survive in the time of grief like a bird sings on a rainy day.” — Robert Louis Stevenson
13. “Recalling happiness in the times of misery is the greatest sorrow.” — Dante Alighieri
14. “And when great souls die, after a period of peace blooms, slowly and always irregularly Spaces fill with a kind of soothing electric vibration. Our senses, restored, never to be the same whisper to us. They existed. They existed. We can be. Be and be better. For they existed.” — Maya Angelou
15. “I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought, and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love.” — Leo Buscaglia
16. “How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts.” — Dorothy Ferguson
17. “What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” — Helen Keller
18. “Those we love and lose are always connected by heartstrings into infinity.” — Terri Guillemets
19. “We are all the pieces of what we remember. We hold in ourselves the hopes and fears of those who love us. As long as there is love and memory, there is no true loss.” — Cassandra Clare
20. “Remember me and smile, for it’s better to forget than to remember me and cry.” — Dr. Seuss
21. “He, who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man” — Antoine De Saint Exupery
Sorry for your loss quotes that speak to the grief and sorrow felt by a death
22. “Sorrow should be felt. But sinking under its dominance should not be done.” — Confucius
23. “Say not in grief ‘he is no more’ but in thankfulness that he was.” —Hebrew Proverb
24. “Truly, it is in darkness that one finds the light, so when we are in sorrow, then this light is nearest of all to us.” — Meister Eckhart
25. “Happiness can be good for the body, grief will change the power of the mind.” — Marcel Proust
26. “You don’t get over it, you just get through it. You don’t get by it, because you can’t get around it. It doesn’t ‘get better’; it just gets different. Everyday grief puts on a new face.” — Wendy Feireisen
27. “Grief is the price we pay for love.” — Queen Elizabeth II
28. “Deep grief sometimes is almost like a specific location, a coordinate on a map of time. When you are standing in that forest of sorrow, you cannot imagine that you could ever find your way to a better place. But if someone can assure you that they themselves have stood in that same place, and now have moved on, sometimes this will bring hope.” — Elizabeth Gilbert
29. “You don’t go around grieving all the time, but the grief is still there and always will be.” — Nigella Lawson
30. “There are no words. While you have joy knowing where your love is in a better place, there is sadness in the loss and grief. You are in our prayers.” — Catherine Pulsifer
31. “Our trials, our sorrows, and our grieves develop us.” — Orison Swett Marden
32. “The season of mourning, Like spring, summer, fall, and winter, will also pass.” — Molly Fumia
It’s ok to cry ‘Sorry for your loss’ quotes
33. “Weeping is revered. It does not mean one is weak. It is the mark of power.” — Washington Irving
34. “The silent language of grief is known as tears.” — Voltaire
35. “Don’t be ashamed to weep; ’tis right to grieve. Tears are only water, and flowers, trees, and fruit cannot grow without water. But there must be sunlight also. A wounded heart will heal in time, and when it does, the memory and love of our lost ones are sealed inside to comfort us.” — Brian Jacques
36. “When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.” — Kahlil Gibran
37. “After a loved one passes, be encouraged by their passing and legacy. Instead of crying, live an inspired, spiritual, and happy life like they did when they were here. Live each day with encouragement knowing that they are proud and smiling down on you from Heaven” — Matt Fraser
38. “Tears are God’s gift to us. Our holy water. They heal us as they flow.” — Rita Schiano
39. “Those who weep recover more quickly than those who smile.” — Jean Giraudoux
40. “Crying will surely not bring them back, but it would help you through the grief because you can never truly forget the ones you love. You can however cry yourself back to joy.” — Unknown
Sorry for your loss quotes about death, life, and pain
41. “Pain should be embraced and used as the fuel of our voyage.” — Kenji Miyazawa
42. “If a day is well spent, it will bring a happy sleep. If life is well spent, it will bring a happy death.” — Leonardo da Vinci
43. “No matter how prepared you think you are for the death of a loved one, it still comes as a shock, and it still hurts very deeply.” — Billy Graham
44. “For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.” — William Penn
45. “What is lovely never dies, but passes into other loveliness.” — Thomas Bailey Aldrich
46. “It’s sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew.” — Henry Rollins
47. “Death ends a life, not a relationship.” — Mitch Albom
48. “Never feel ashamed that you spend the whole day in tears, you can be strong only after you have felt the pain inside your heart. Death feels like a stab wound in your heart.” — Unknown
49. “If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them.” — James O’Barr
50. “Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality.” — Emily Dickinson
Which of these ‘sorry for your loss’ quotes resonated with you best?
Sometimes, a person doesn’t have many memories of their loved one. My newborn niece passed away at five days old, and there were no words that I could say that would make anything any better. So my sister and I cried together. There are rare moments in life when words are not powerful enough to express our feelings, and only tears will do. The only words I said were that I loved my sister very much, and I would be there for whatever she needed.
Experts have some suggestions of words we should avoid, though, when trying to express our sympathy to someone. The first one is not to ask how they are doing. They have likely heard this a lot and while you mean well, the person is more than likely going to tell you they are “fine.” Instead, try acknowledging their feelings like, “I know you are going through a tough time right now.”
Also, try to avoid saying, “They are in a better place.” Not everyone shares the same belief system. They may also struggle with their faith at this moment of loss. Instead, focus on the person in front of you and recognize they are struggling. Remind them they are loved, let them feel their feelings, and be there to listen or help with the tasks they do not have the mental energy to complete.
So, which of these ‘sorry for your loss’ quotes and sayings resonated with you best? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
March 22, 2021 7:07 AM EST