Check out these St John Chrysostom quotes to learn about the honored Saint.
St John Chrysostom is known as one of the Early Church Fathers as he was influential in helping establish the doctrinal foundations of Christianity.
He was born in Antioch in 347 and died in Comana, Pontus, in 407 after spending a life preaching, speaking, and writing about his views on Christianity.
St John served as the archbishop of Constantinople for a time, and he is known for his stance against the abuse of authority.
He was an eloquent writer and speaker and today is honored as a Saint in the Orthodox, Lutheran, and Catholic churches.
Although he started his professional career as a lawyer, he became more committed to his Christian faith and went back to school to study theology.
Take a look at these St John Chrysostom quotes to learn more about this influential Saint.
Best St John Chrysostom Quotes
Enjoy some of the best quotes from St John Chrysostom.
1. “Glory be to God for all things!” — St John Chrysostom
2. “Fasting of the body is food for the soul.” — St John Chrysostom
3. “Faithfulness in little things is a big thing.” — St John Chrysostom
4. “Sin is a wound; repentance is a medicine.” — St John Chrysostom
5. “Do not be ashamed to enter again into the Church.” — St John Chrysostom
6. “What the soul is in the body, let Christians be in the world.” — St John Chrysostom
7. “As a moth gnaws a garment, so doth envy consume a man.” — St John Chrysostom
8. “Nothing will divide the church so much as the love of power.” — St John Chrysostom
9. “Be ashamed when you sin. Do not be ashamed when you repent.” — St John Chrysostom
10. “Say one word, think carefully about the sin, and say, ‘I have sinned.’” — St John Chrysostom
Wise St John Chrysostom Quotes
As an archbishop, St John Chrysostom had many wise things to say.
11. “Why not learn to enjoy the little things—there are so many of them.” — St John Chrysostom
12. “Prayer is the root, the fountain, the mother of a thousand blessings.” — St John Chrysostom
13. “We must not mind insulting men if by respecting them we offend God.” — St John Chrysostom
14. “There is nothing colder than a Christian who does not seek to save others.” — St John Chrysostom
15. “Laughter has been implanted in our soul, that the soul may sometime be refreshed.” — St John Chrysostom
16. “Let us always guard our tongue; not that it should always be silent, but that it should speak at the proper time.” — St John Chrysostom
17. “The love of husband and wife is the force that welds society together. Men will take up arms and even sacrifice their lives for the sake of this love.” — St John Chrysostom
Inspirational St John Chrysostom Quotes
Check out these quotes and sayings from St John Chrysostom that are sure to inspire you.
18. “The rich man is not one who is in possession of much, but one who gives much.” — St John Chrysostom
19. “Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.” — St John Chrysostom
20. “If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.” — St John Chrysostom
21. “The bee is more honored than other animals, not because she labors, but because she labors for others.” — St John Chrysostom
22. “God loves us more than a father, mother, friend, or any else could love, and even more than we are able to love ourselves.” — St John Chrysostom
23. “When you are weary of praying, and do not receive, consider how often you have heard a poor man calling, and have not listened to him.” — St John Chrysostom
24. “Prayer is the place of refuge for every worry, a foundation for cheerfulness, a source of constant happiness, a protection against sadness.” — St John Chrysostom
25. “Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God’s mercy and His love for men.” — St John Chrysostom
Once St John Started Preaching, What Happened?
John became famous and followed by many due to his ability to understand the scriptures and relay them in a straightforward fashion to the masses.
His writings and preaching impacted many people, and his writings are still viewed today.
Unfortunately, in his later years, he was exiled by some, but Pope Innocent I and other bishops did not agree and looked to change the banishment, but St John died before they could complete their mission.
Please share these St John Chrysostom quotes with others by clicking the share button!