If you have ever belonged to a great church or wanted to, these church quotes are perfect.
Churches are traditionally the meeting location for Christian worship services or other activities.
The first church building was in a house around 233.
You might also like these related articles:
Church is also used to describe the community of Christians that meet to worship God and, regardless of location, is a strong community of believers.
The church building has traditionally had a large cross on the roof to identify it as a church, but some churches have different architecture, with the main point being that it is a place to gather and worship.
Churches are meant to be a “place of refuge” where Christians or anyone can come and worship God safely around other believers.
Take a look at these church quotes to see if you have ever belonged to a church like the quotes describe.
Best Church Quotes
Here are some of the best quotes about Church.
1. “Jesus is the Head of the church. He expects His body to cooperate.” — Jack Wellman
2. “I believe there are too many practitioners in the church who are not believers.” — C.S. Lewis
3. “Yes, though I have nothing but gratitude for my upbringing in the church.” — John McGahern
4. “The primary action of the Church in the world is the action of its members in their daily work.” — Lesslie Newbigin
5. “Church attendance is as vital to a disciple as a transfusion of rich, healthy blood to a sick man.” — Dwight L. Moody
6. “Church is the human outworking of the person of Jesus Christ. Let’s not go to Church, let’s be the Church.” — Bill Hybels
7. “Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.” — Billy Sunday
8. “I think if the church did what they were supposed to do, we wouldn’t have anyone sleeping on the streets.” — Michael W. Smith
9. “Anyone who is to find Christ must first find the church. How could anyone know where Christ is and what faith is in him unless he knew where his believers are?” — Martin Luther
10. “Some women will spend thirty minutes to an hour preparing for church externally (putting on special clothes and makeup, etc.). What would happen if we all spent the same amount of time preparing internally for church – with prayer and meditation?” — Leonard Ravenhill
You will also enjoy our article on Evangelism quotes.
Church Quotes From Bible Verses
The Bible has much to say about the Church, Christ’s Body.
11. “and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord;” — 1 Corinthians 12:5
12. “For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.” — 1 Corinthians 3:9
13. “And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church,” — Ephesians 1:22
14. “Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?” — 1 Corinthians 3:16
15. “Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.” — 1 Corinthians 12:12
16. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock, I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” — Matthew 16:18
17. “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.” — Colossians 3:15
18. “but Christ is faithful over God’s house as a son. And we are his house if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope.” — Hebrews 3:6
19. “Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.” — Acts 20:28
20. “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” — Hebrews 10:24-25
Church Quotes About the Truth of the Church
Take a look at these quotes that talk about the Truth of the Church.
21. “The True Church can never fail. For it is based upon a rock.” — T.S. Eliot
22. “A church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints.” — Pauline Phillips
23. “Many come to bring their clothes to church rather than themselves.” — Thomas Fuller
24. “About Jesus Christ and the Church, I simply know they’re just one thing.” — Joan of Arc
25. “The Church is the only society that exists for the benefit of those who are not its members.” — William Temple
26. “The church is not a select circle of the immaculate, but a home where the outcast may come in.” — James H. Aughey
27. “The perfect church service would be one we were almost unaware of. Our attention would have been on God.” — C.S. Lewis
28. “Church is not an organization you join; it is a family where you belong, a home where you are loved, and a hospital where you find healing.” — Nicky Gumbel
29. “The Church is the Church only when it exists for others…not dominating, but helping and serving. It must tell men of every calling what it means to live for Christ, to exist for others.” — Dietrich Bonhoeffer
30. “If her walls could talk, they might recount the stories of generations of families, of two World Wars, of prayers she has heard, of joys she has shared, and somber times of sorrow, grief, and loss.” — Arlene Stafford Wilson
Inspirational Church Quotes
Let yourself be inspired by the following Church quotes.
31. “What God is doing requires a symphony, not soloists” — Richard Dahlstrom
32. “The Church exists for nothing else but to draw men into Christ.” — C. S. Lewis
33. “Too many churches are little more than four walls and a roof.” — Billy Sunday
34. “Trying to run a church without revivals can be done when you can run a gasoline engine on buttermilk.” — Billy Sunday
35. “We do not want, as the newspapers say, a church that will move with the world. We want a church that will move the world.” — G.K. Chesterton
36. “The Church is not a gallery for the exhibition of eminent Christians, but a school for the education of imperfect ones.” — Henry Ward Beecher
37. “Without God’s Spirit, there is nothing we can do that will count for God’s kingdom. Without God’s Spirit, the church simply can’t be the church.” — N.T. Wright
38. “The Kingdom of God is not going to be advanced by our churches becoming filled with men, but by men in our churches becoming filled with God.” — Duncan Campbell
39. “This much is sure in all churches, forgetting party labels; the smallest meeting numerically is the prayer meeting. If weak in prayer, we are weak everywhere.” — Leonard Ravenhill
40. “You have to suffer as much from the church as for it. The only thing that makes the church endurable is that somehow it is the body of Christ, and on this, we are fed.” — Flannery O’Connor
More Church Quotes
Enjoy more of the best quotes about Churches.
41. “What if the well-filled church in the homeland needs stirring?” — Jim Elliot
42. “Every believer is commanded to be plugged into a local church.” — David Jeremiah
43. “Don’t hunt through the Church for a hypocrite. Go home and look in the mirror.” — Billy Sunday
44. “In proportion as a church is holy, in that proportion will its testimony for Christ be powerful.” — Charles Spurgeon
45. “We ought to attract people to the church quite literally by the fun there is in being a Christian.” — Robert Hotchkins
46. “The Church used to be a lifeboat rescuing the perishing. Now she is a cruise ship recruiting the promising.” — Leonard Ravenhill
47. “It is labor that keeps the strong man strong. And spiritual labor, toil, and burden-bearing, is what will give strength to the church of Christ.” — Ellen G. White
48. “You may speak but a word to a child, and in that child there may be slumbering a noble heart which shall stir the Christian Church in years to come.” — Charles Spurgeon
49. “What the Church needs today is not more machinery or better, not new organizations or more and novel methods, but men whom the Holy Ghost can use — men of prayer, men mighty in prayer.” — E.M. Bounds
50. “One of the greatest attacks of the enemy is to make you busy, to make you hurried, to make you noisy, to make you distracted, to fill the people of God and the Church of God with so much noise and activity that there is no room for prayer.” — Paul Washer
What Did Jesus Teach About the Church?
While church buildings can be impressive and offer a place to gather, what is really important is the impact church attendees have on each other and their community.
Jesus taught that the church was more than a building; it is the body of Christ composed of anyone who accepts Christ’s gift of salvation.
Please share these church quotes with your family and friends, and share your favorite quotes about the church in the comment section below.