Relive the classic film with these A League of Their Own quotes.
The movie A League of Their Own is a fictional account of the real-life All-American Girls Professional Baseball League.
The film, released in 1992, was directed by Penny Marshall and cast several well-known actors and celebrities.
Wildly popular, A League of Their Own has become somewhat of a cultural touchstone, spawning numerous references and tributes in popular culture, including a TV series, a documentary, and a Broadway musical.
Tell us your favorite A League of Their Own quote in the comments section below!
You may also enjoy reading these related articles:
The benefits of reading A League of Their Own quotes
Reading quotes about A League of Their Own will give you insight into a very important and often-overlooked part of history.
The All-American Girls Professional Baseball League (AAGPBL) existed from 1943 to 1954.
During World War II, many male baseball players were away serving in the military.
The AAGPBL provided an opportunity for women to play professional baseball as a form of “stand-in” entertainment for the civilians back home.
The movie explores themes of teamwork, perseverance, and sisterhood but also sheds light on the challenges the women faced, including sexism and discrimination.
A League of Their Own was praised for its talented and diverse cast.
Many popular actors and actresses had roles in the film, including:
Despite the sometimes heavy themes conveyed in the film, it manages to be both funny and poignant, and the mix of humor and emotion is what many believe makes it a classic.
A League of Their Own quotes from Jimmy Dugan
Jimmy Dugan, played by Tom Hanks, was endearing and rough around the edges. Enjoy these A League of Their Own quotes from Jimmy Dugan!
1. “Are you crying? There’s no crying! There’s no crying in baseball!” — Jimmy Dugan
2. “Sneaking out like this, quitting, you’ll regret it for the rest of your life.” — Jimmy Dugan
3. “Start using your head. That’s the lump that’s three feet above your ass.” — Jimmy Dugan
4. “Baseball is what gets inside you. It’s what lights you up; you can’t deny that.” — Jimmy Dugan
5. “It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard… is what makes it great.” — Jimmy Dugan
A League of Their Own quotes from Dottie Hinson
No-nonsense and straightforward A League of Their Own quotes from Dottie Hinson (played by Geena Davis) embody her character perfectly.
6. “I’ll tell you what I’ll miss. Well, I’ll miss the girls.” — Dottie Hinson
7. “What do you say I smack you around for a while?” — Dottie Hinson
8. “You got yourself in the league; I got you on the train.” — Dottie Hinson
9. “It is only a game, Jimmy. It’s only a game, and, and, I don’t need this.” — Dottie Hinson
10. “Look, I’m married; I’m happy. That’s what I want, so let’s not confuse things.” — Dottie Hinson
A League of Their Own quotes from Doris Murphy
Always funny, these A League of Their Own quotes from Doris Murphy (Rosie O’Donnell) will make you chuckle!
11. “Ohh! I don’t know why you get dressed at all.” — Doris Murphy
12. “Don’t use my bar; use Marla’s; it’s heavier!” — Doris Murphy
13. “What do you think we are? Baseball players or ballerinas?” — Doris Murphy
14. “You think there are men in this country who ain’t seen your bosoms?” — Doris Murphy
15. “They always made me feel wrong, like I was some sort of a weird girl or a strange girl or not even a girl, just because I could play. I believed them, too, you know? But not anymore. I mean, look, there’s a lot of us. I think we’re all alright.” — Doris Murphy
A League of Their Own quotes from Mae Mordabito
Enjoy these A League of Their Own quotes from Mae Mordabito, played by the one and only Madonna!
16. “I don’t plan on wearing it that long.” — Mae Mordabito
17. “Evelyn. Evelyn. I’m sorry, but I have to kill your son.” — Mae Mordabito
18. “You know, they got over 100 girls, so, um, some of you are gonna have to go home.” — Mae Mordabito
19. “Oh, what difference does it make? She’s reading, okay? That’s the important thing.” — Mae Mordabito
20. “And what am I supposed to do, huh? Go back to taxi dancin’? Ten cents, so some slob can sweat gin all over me? I’m never doin’ that again!” — Mae Mordabito
A League of Their Own quotes from other characters
With so many great characters, one could argue that the whole movie is quotable! Here are A League of Their Own quotes from other characters.
21. “Don’t make my little girl suffer because I messed up raising her.” — Dave Hooch
22. “If we paid you just a little bit more, Jimmy, could you be just a little more disgusting?” — Ira Lowenstein
23. “Great game, Jimmy. I especially liked that move in the seventh inning when you scratched your balls for an hour.” — Ira Lowenstein
24. “We told them it was their patriotic duty to get out of the kitchen and go to work; and now, when the men come back, we’ll send them back to the kitchen.” — Ira Lowenstein
25. “You ever hear Dad introduce us to people? ‘This is our daughter Dottie, and this is our other daughter, Dottie’s sister.’ Should’ve just had you and bought a dog!” — Kit Keller
A timeless portrait of female empowerment
Although it was released over 30 years ago, A League of Their Own continues to have an avid fanbase and remains relevant in popular culture.
This might be, in part, be because the movie features strong, resilient female characters who overcome obstacles and fight for their dreams.
For many women, watching the journey of the League women was inspiring and motivating and helped them pursue their own goals, despite how challenging it seemed.
The cast was inspirational because it included women of different ages, races, and body types and helped break stereotypes of what women should be.
As a film, A League of Their Own has many positive attributes, including, but not limited to, female empowerment and it will remain among those classic films that we cannot easily forget.
Tell us your favorite A League of Their Own quotes in the comments section!
If you enjoyed these A League of Their Own quotes, please hit the Share button so others can also enjoy them!