These quotes for girls will inspire you to be true to yourself and become whatever type of person you want to be.
Women throughout history have been a symbol of strength and wisdom in many cultures. But it isn’t always easy to find modern examples of female role models.
Why is girl empowerment important?
An alarming majority of world leaders, CEOs, athletes, and educators shown in the media are male. Growing up, stereotypes against girls inhibit them.
Young women are often told how they can’t do something, or won’t be good at something, because of their gender. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t strong, successful women.
In the last century, we have come a long way towards equality. Successful women are appearing more often in what used to be male-dominated roles and industries.
Body positive movements have triggered the media to represent women’s beauty in a more empowering way.
These quotes for girls come from women leaders around the world who empower girls to go for their goals and love themselves for who they are.
Inspiring quotes for girls on beauty
1.) “Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.” – Coco Chanel
2.) “Happiness and confidence are the prettiest things you can wear.” – Taylor Swift
3.) “Beautiful people are not always good but good people are always beautiful.” – Imam Ali
4.) “I think beauty comes from knowing who you actually are. That’s real beauty to me.” – Ellen DeGeneres
5.) “You are more powerful than you know; you are beautiful just as you are.” – Melissa Etheridge
6.) “I can’t think of any better representation of beauty than someone who is unafraid to be herself.” – Emma Stone
7.) “No matter what you look like or think you look like, you’re special, and loved, and perfect just the way you are.” – Ariel Winter
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of love quotes for her to help you express your feelings.
8.) “No matter how plain a woman may be, if truth and honesty are written across her face, she will be beautiful.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Quotes for girls on staying true to yourself
9.) “The power you have is to be the best version of yourself you can be, so you can create a better world.” – Ashley Rickards
10.) “Imperfections are beauty, madness is genius, and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” – Marilyn Monroe
11.) “Don’t be afraid to speak up for yourself. Keep fighting for your dreams!” – Gabby Douglas
12.) “Be a first-rate version of yourself, not a second-rate version of someone else.”– Judy Garland
13.) “Never apologize for being sensitive or emotional. Let this be a sign that you’ve got a big heart and aren’t afraid to let others see it. Showing your emotions is a sign of strength.” — Brigitte Nicole
14.) “Never be ashamed of what you feel. You have the right to feel any emotion that you want, and to do what makes you happy. That’s my life motto.” – Demi Lovato
15.) “If you are always trying to be normal, you’ll never know how amazing you can be.” – Maya Angelou
16.) “A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.” – Coco Chanel
Also, read these funny sister quotes and sayings about sibling relationships.
Quotes for girls on feminism
17.) “Feminism isn’t about making women stronger. Women are already strong, it’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.” — G.D. Anderson
18.) “Feminism is for everybody.” — Bell Hooks
19.) “No woman should be told she can’t make decisions about her own body. When women’s rights are under attack, we fight back.” — Kamala Harris
20.) “In the future, there will be no female leaders. There will just be leaders.” — Sheryl Sandberg
21.) “If you want to run for Prime Minister, you can. If you don’t, that’s wonderful, too. Shave your armpits, don’t shave them, wear flats one day, heels the next. These things are so irrelevant and surface to what it is all really about, and I wish people wouldn’t get caught up in that. We want to empower women to do exactly what they want, to be true to themselves, to have the opportunities to develop. Women should feel free.” – Emma Watson
22.) “A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men.” — Gloria Steinem
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of international Women’s Day quotes celebrating womanhood.
Quotes for girls on following your dreams
23.) “If you really want to fly, just harness your power to your passion.” – Oprah Winfrey
24.) “And one day she discovered that she was fierce, and strong, and full of fire, and that not even she could hold herself back because her passion burned brighter than her fears.”– Mark Anthony
25.) “I found that ultimately if you truly pour your heart into what you believe in — even if it makes you vulnerable — amazing things can and will happen.” – Emma Watson
26.) “I never dreamed about success. I worked for it.” – Estée Lauder
27.) “The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand
28.) “If you’re one of those people who has that little voice in the back of her mind saying, ‘Maybe I could do [fill in the blank],’ don’t tell it to be quiet. Give it a little room to grow, and try to find an environment it can grow in.” – Reese Witherspoon
29.) “Find something you’re passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.” – Julia Child
30.) “If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.” —Margaret Thatcher
You might also like these powerful sisterhood quotes to share with your tribe
Quotes for girls on becoming strong women
31.) “You have what it takes to be a victorious, independent, fearless woman.” – Tyra Banks
32.) “The world needs strong women. Women who will lift and build others, who will love and be loved. Women who live bravely, both tender and fierce. Women of indomitable will.” – Amy Tenney
33.) “I am too intelligent, too demanding, and too resourceful for anyone to be able to take charge of me entirely. No one knows me or loves me completely. I have only myself.” – Simone de Beauvoir
34.) “Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts. That’s what little girls are made of; the heck with sugar and spice.” – Bethany Hamilton
35.) “Be that strong girl that everyone knew would make it through the worst, be that fearless girl, the one who would dare to do anything, be that independent girl who didn’t need a man; be that girl who never backed down.”– Taylor Swift
36.) “I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles.” – Audrey Hepburn
37.) “We need women who are so strong they can be gentle, so educated they can be humble, so fierce they can be compassionate, so passionate they can be rational, and so disciplined they can be free.” – Kavita Ramdas
38.) “The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.” — Dolly Parton (see more Dolly Parton quotes)
39.) “It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent.” — Madeleine Albright
40.) “And though she be but little, she is fierce.” – William Shakespeare
41.) “I feel now that the time is come when even a woman or a child who can speak a word for freedom and humanity is bound to speak.” — Harriet Beecher Stowe
Quotes for girls on empowerment
42.) “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
43.) “We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back. We call upon our sisters around the world to be brave – to embrace the strength within themselves and realize their full potential.” – Malala Yousafzai
44.) “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping stone to greatness.” — Oprah Winfrey
45.) “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” — Maya Angelou
46.) “Women are leaders everywhere you look—from the CEO who runs a Fortune 500 company to the housewife who raises her children and heads her household. Our country was built by strong women, and we will continue to break down walls and defy stereotypes.” — Nancy Pelosi
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Nancy Pelosi quotes from America’s most powerful woman.
47.) “Words have power. TV has power. My pen has power.” — Shonda Rhimes
48.) “Fearlessness is like a muscle. I know from my own life that the more I exercise it the more natural it becomes to not let my fears run me.” – Arianna Huffington
49.) “I always did something I was a little not ready to do. I think that’s how you grow. When there’s that moment of ‘Wow, I’m not really sure I can do this,’ and you push through those moments, that’s when you have a breakthrough.” – Marissa Mayer
50.) “The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it.” – Roseanne Barr
Other inspirational quotes for girls
51. “A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.”― Coco Chanel
52. “Women belong in all places where decisions are being made. … It shouldn’t be that women are the exception.” –Ruth Bader Ginsburg
53. “Not knowing you can’t do something, is sometimes all it takes to do it.”― Ally Carter
54. “There is no limit to what we, as women, can accomplish.” – Michelle Obama
55. “If you don’t know what your passion is, realize that one reason for your existence on earth is to find it.” – Oprah Winfrey
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of passion quotes expressing the love of things you’re interested in.
56. “Courage is the most important of all the virtues because, without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently.” – Maya Angelou
57. “We need to get women to the point where they aren’t apologizing. It is time to take ownership in our success.” – Tory Burch
58. “Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.” – Suzy Kassem
59. “If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is.” – Angelina Jolie
60. “Nothing can dim the light that shines from within.” – Maya Angelou
More quotes for girls
61. “Better to be strong than pretty and useless.” – Lilith Saintcrow
62. “What girls do to each other is beyond description. No Chinese torture comes close.” – Tori Amos
63. “We girls, we’re tough, darling. Soft on the outside but, deep down, we’re tough.” – Kristen Ashley
64. “Beautiful girls should know how to defend themselves against the advances of gentlemen.” – Unknown
65. “A girl without braids is like a city without bridges.” – Roman Payne
66. “All really interesting girls invent themselves.” – Anna Godbersen
67. “Your personal truth is your gift to the world.” – Jennifer Elisabeth
68. “You are perfect, Avery. Just like you are, flaws and everything.” – Shana Norris
69. “Girls who are ignored can learn to be impossible, can learn to listen, and look, and learn more than they were ever meant to know.” – A. Deborah Baker
70. “Some girls look good in diamonds, some girls make diamonds look good.” – Atticus Poetry
Quotes about girl power
71. “If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.” — Margaret Fuller
72. “A really strong woman accepts the war she went through and is ennobled by her scars.”
– Carly Simon
73. “It is impossible to live without failing at something unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default.” — JK Rowling
74. “Her strength comes from being tested by life’s unpredictability.”– Matt Lauer
75. “Above all, be the heroine of your life. Not the victim.” — Nora Ephron
76. “She’s the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong.”– Mae West
77. “Being confident and believing in your own self-worth is necessary to achieving your potential.” — Sheryl Sandberg
78. “This has always been a motto of mine: Attempt the impossible in order to improve your work.”– Bette Davis
79. “Part of the great challenge of living is defining yourself in your moment, of seizing the opportunities that you are given, and of making the very best choices you can.” — Hillary Clinton
80. “She overcame everything that was meant to destroy her.”– Sylvester McNutt III
Quotes to Girls to Inspire Them
81. “You are still young, free. Do yourself a favor. Before it’s too late, without thinking too much about it first, pack a pillow and a blanket and see as much of the world as you can. You will not regret it. One day it will be too late.” — Jhumpa Lahiri
82. “You must take life the way it comes at you and make the best of it.” ― Yann Martel
83. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know.And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…” ― Dr. Seuss
84. “If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.” — Rick Riordan
85. “You can’t write a script in your mind and then force yourself to follow it. You have to let yourself be.” — Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
86. “Listen. To live is to be marked. To live is to change, to acquire the words of a story, and that is the only celebration we mortals really know. In perfect stillness, frankly, I’ve only found sorrow.” ― Barbara Kingsolver
87. “You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world … but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers.” ― John Green
88. “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.” ― Haruki Murakami
89. “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” — J.K. Rowling
90. “Power, time, gravity, love. The forces that really kick ass are all invisible.” ― David Mitchell
Quotes for girls who need to know they’re strong
91. “I like to tell little girls that not every day is going to be your best day and that you won’t look pretty every day either and that that’s OK.”- Eiza Gonzalez
92. “I want little girls to believe that they can be CEOs.” –Payal Kadakia
93. “What I wanted most for my daughter was that she be able to soar confidently in her own sky, whatever that may be.” – Helen Claes
94. “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels.”- Maya Angelou
95. “I think that young women and little girls need to see that they don’t have to be the damsel in distress. They don’t have to not show their strength. They don’t have to be whatever the stereotype is or the tropes that we go to in our minds.” – Octavia Spencer
96. “Be like a diamond precious and rare. Not like a stone found everywhere.” – Rita Gatourey
97. “‘What if I fall?’ ‘Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?’” – Erin Hanson
98. “Don’t you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine.” – Taylor Swift, ‘Ours’
99. “Little girls are cute and small only to adults. To one another they are not cute. They are life-sized.”- Margaret Atwood
100. “My little girls are the most beautiful women in the world. I am a lucky, lucky man. I will spend every day making sure that they know this.”- Russell Simmons
Quotes for girls to show them they’re important
101. “Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves and, of course, each other.” –Betsey Johnson
102. “Admire other people’s beauty and talent without questioning your own. Learn from everyone, but compare yourself to no one.” -Brooke Hampton
103. “The most beautiful curve on a woman’s body is her smile.”- Bob Marley
104. “The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes from within — strength, courage, dignity.” -Ruby Dee
105. “Real girls aren’t perfect and perfect girls aren’t real.” -Courtney Love
106. “Be strong enough to stand alone, smart enough to know when you need help, and brave enough to ask for it.” -Ziad K. Abdelnour
107. “Every little girl should be told that she’s pretty.” -Marilyn Monroe
108. “A woman who seeks validation from no one is the most feared person on the planet.” -Mohadesa Najumi
109. “If a girl wants to be a legend, she should just go ahead and become one.” -Calamity Jane
110. “Don’t be the girl who fell. Be the girl who always gets back up.” -Jenette Stanley
Quotes For Girls That Make Them Stand Out
111. “All little girls should be told they are pretty, even if they aren’t.” ― Marilyn Monroe
112. “Girls will get together just to get together. Guys need an activity as an excuse. Otherwise it’s too homo for them to handle.”― Megan McCafferty
113. “Young girls are told you have to be the delicate princess. Hermione taught them that you can be a warrior.” ― Emma Watson
114. “Girls can be so petty and jealous. I swear they’re worse than guys sometimes. Except they’re all quiet about it. They sugarcoat it or else they talk behind each other’s backs. It’s seriously twisted.” ― Melody Carlson
115. “I’m not in trouble at all. I’m just a guy trying to get a girl to give him the time of day. I’m like every song on the radio.” ― Hailey Abbott
116. “The handwriting was a girl’s. I mean, you can tell. That enchanted cursive.” ― Rachel Cohn
117. “Nothing is as irritating to a shy man as a confident girl.” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
118. “How can I have hung around you for five years and not think girls are clever?” ― J.K. Rowling
119. “Beautiful girls should know how to defend themselves against the advances of gentlemen.” ― Cassandra Clare
120.“Shopping is really complicated if you are a girl.” ― Helen Salter
The girls of today are the women of tomorrow
It is our responsibility to make sure that girls know that they can abandon stereotypes about what girls can’t do.
Girls should feel empowered to grow up into anything they want to be, including strong leaders, artists, businesswomen, or the President or Prime Minister of their country.
Role models like the women who said these quotes for girls inspire girls to be true to themselves and become whatever type of person they want to be.
It is important for girls to understand feminism, inner beauty, and how to be a strong person, so that they can use these virtues to follow their dreams and achieve their goals.
Sharing these quotes with girls provides young women with examples of strong female role models who can inspire the women of tomorrow.
Were you inspired by these empowering quotes for girls? Do you have a favorite quote for girls? Let us know in the comment section below.
June 19, 2022 5:00 AM EST