These abandoned quotes focus primarily on children being abandoned by their parents.
However, abandonment can happen to anyone, and anybody can turn into an abandoned.
Let us know which abandoned quote resonated with you the most in the comment section below.
Being abandoned can take an immense psychological toll on the people that get left behind.
What are the benefits of reading these abandoned quotes?
What does it feel like to be abandoned?
Sadly, almost anyone reading this has felt abandonment in some form.
This might be from a parent, another family member, a friend, or a lover.
However, when children are abandoned by those people who are supposed to love and protect them, it is different.
This happens before they can learn coping mechanisms and ways to process their feelings; it can have devastating effects on their mental health.
They often struggle with feelings of self-worth, identity issues, and trouble forming relationships.
Not all of these abandoned quotes are about that kind of abandonment, though.
There are quite a few about poetry and the arts.
There are also some abandoned quotes about God and from the Bible to help you keep the faith in tough times.
Keep reading for the abandoned quote that will speak the most to you.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Check out more inspirational quotes on our motivational quotes category page.
Abandoned quotes about poetry and other art forms
1. “A poem is never finished, only abandoned.” — Paul Valery
2. “Art is never finished, only abandoned.” — Leonardo da Vinci
3. “Movies are not finished. They are abandoned. A movie is never finished.” — Louis Leterrier
4. “I don’t paint anymore. I haven’t since I abandoned it at 19, in order to begin writing seriously.” — Jonathan Lethem
5. “Fantasy, abandoned by reason, produces impossible monsters; united with it, she is the mother of the arts and the origin of marvels.” — Francisco Goya
6. “As I grew older—collapsing into my seventies, glimpsing ahead the cliffs of the eighties, colliding into eighty-five—poetry abandoned me.” — Donald Hall
7. “There’s that old cliche that art is never finished, only abandoned. That’s the nice thing about comics. It forces you to abandon it long before maybe you’re ready to let it go.” — Jonathan Hickman
8. “To those supporters who were told that I abandoned them, that is untrue. I abandoned greed, corruption, and compromise, never you, and never the artistic gifts and abilities that sustained me.” — Lauryn Hill
9. “I’ve gone through the village of my songwriting and my artistry, and I’ve gone through lots of different phases, including one where it has been very quiet and abandoned me for a few years.” — Carly Simon
10. “I have a vast ‘bone pile’ of stillborn or abandoned poems along with jottings and wisps from the great beyond that I tend to scan. Sometimes that leads somewhere, and sometimes the Muse is just on sabbatical.” — Maxine Kumin
Abandoned quotes about children and families
11. “The abandoned infant’s cry is rage, not fear.” — Robert Anton Wilson
12. “When you are abandoned by two parents as a baby – wow, that is something to live with.” — Marion Cotillard
13. “They say that abandonment is a wound that never heals. I say only that an abandoned child never forgets.” — Mario Balotelli
14. “Many people, for many reasons, feel rootless—but orphans and abandoned or abused children have particular cause.” — Christina Baker Kline
15. “When I was 15, Dad left the family for good. I didn’t want to believe it at the time, but the fact was that he deserted us kids and abandoned Mom after 25 years of marriage.” — Alex Tizon
16. “When I was young, my brother David and I were farmed off to foster homes, and I spent time in orphanages. My father abandoned us. Here’s the most important person in my life, and I never met him.” — Wayne Dyer
17. “There was something so immensely redemptive and exciting for me to imagine that my unknown father was not just a man who had abandoned me but a noble man of adventure who had no choice.” — Said Sayrafiezadeh
18. “I don’t want to constantly berate my father—I wish him well, and I hope he finds peace—but he put my mom through years of mental abuse, and it made me care especially for abandoned women and children.” — James Haven
19. “I used to think that what scared me was the idea of being abandoned until someone said to me, ‘Only children can be abandoned. Adults can’t be abandoned because we have a choice. Children don’t have a choice.’” — Demi Moore
20. “My father, who was jailed for stealing on more than one occasion, just abandoned his fatherly responsibilities and disappeared. I grew up working from the time I was nine years of age. Money was a big issue everywhere I lived.” — Wayne Dyer
Abandoned quotes about places, houses, and cars
21. “My mother and I took over abandoned buildings to sleep in.” — Mark Webber
22. “I’d get invited to parties, and instead it would be these abandoned houses.” — Julianne Hough
23. “The road to positivity is strewn with the abandoned vehicles of the faint-hearted.” — Peter McWilliams
24. “Abandoned homes are everyone’s problem, afflicting communities all over the state.” — Eric Schneiderman
25. “Abandoned homes become magnets for vandalism and crime. They drag down the property values of neighboring homes.” — Eric Schneiderman
26. “The sigh of History rises over ruins, not over landscapes, and in the Antilles there are few ruins to sigh over, apart from the ruins of sugar estates and abandoned forts.” — Derek Walcott
27. “I like to try to capture places that a lot of people went to or have a deep emotional connection to. Malls, abandoned speedways, abandoned theme parks. To me, those are most interesting kinds of things to capture.” — Seph Lawless
28. “When I was in Philadelphia during the Depression in 1930 or ‘31, I got a very sad job as a night watchman in a garage. The cars in the garage had been abandoned by their owners, since they had lost their jobs and couldn’t keep up the payments.” — Tom Glazer
29. “Many foreclosed homes are neglected or abandoned, as legal proceedings or other factors delay their resale. Deteriorating or vacant properties can, in turn, directly affect the quality of life in a neighborhood, for example, by leading to increases in vandalism or crime.” — Ben Bernanke
30. “When I was in high school, my friends and I would drive out into the country to abandoned houses and structures… haha… to ghost hunt. We would scare each other so bad! We would sometimes camp out by the abandoned buildings just to scare ourselves! Such good times. The adrenaline of real fear is so cool!” — Keegan Allen
Abandoned quotes about what it feels like
31. “Love can be put off, never abandoned.” — Sextus Propertius
32. “My whole life I’ve had the fear that I was going to be abandoned.” — Halle Berry
33. “Still Clean discusses the hopelessness of waiting for someone who’s abandoned you.” — Soccer Mommy
34. “We’re all born into this world. Some are placed gently, others thrust into it, and still others abandoned.” — Trudie Styler
35. “The struggle of my life created empathy—I could relate to pain, being abandoned, having people not love me.” — Oprah Winfrey
36. “Reality seems valueless by comparison with the dreams of fevered imaginations; reality is therefore abandoned.” — Emile Durkheim
37. “There is nothing lonelier than a cat who has been loved, at least for a while, and then abandoned on the side of the road.” — Kathi Appelt
38. “If someone feels that they’re abandoned, there are always complicated feelings. There are always reasons for why people do the things that they do.” — Maurissa Tancharoen
39. “Basic human contact—the meeting of eyes, the exchanging of words—is to the psyche what oxygen is to the brain. If you’re feeling abandoned by the world, interact with anyone you can.” — Martha Beck
40. “Here is the tragedy: when you are the victim of depression, not only do you feel utterly helpless and abandoned by the world, you also know that very few people can understand, or even begin to believe, that life can be this painful. There is nothing I can think of that is quite as isolating as this.” — Giles Andreae
Abandoned quotes about God, faith, and the human soul
41. “Though my father and my mother abandoned me, the LORD gathers me up.” — Psalm 27:10
42. “No matter what storm you face, you need to know that God loves you. He has not abandoned you.” — Franklin Graham
43. “If you have abandoned one faith, do not abandon all faith. There is always an alternative to the faith we lose. Or is it the same faith under another mask?” — Graham Greene
44. “We should be recklessly abandoned to Jesus, and just turn it over to Him. Through the support I think the sacrifices will be made and we’ll all be cool with it.” — Stacie Orrico
45. “I do think Jesus would skip church on Sunday morning and instead visit the nursing homes and retirement homes where so many have abandoned their loved ones.” — Taylor Negron
46. “Indeed, the Lord loves justice, and he will not abandon his godly ones. They are kept safe forever, but the lawless will be chased away, and the descendants of the wicked will be cut off.” — Psalm 37:28
47. “Sometimes it looks like God’s abandoned you, but not for any reason. To make your faith grow and to see that, no matter what happens, you come out OK… It’s all for your good. It’s all for love, and it’s all for making you a strong person.” — Brian Welch
48. “Satan cannot win. Why not? Because he has denied God’s sovereignty and disobeyed God’s law. But Moses was told explicitly, God’s blessings come only from obedience. Satan will not win because he has abandoned God’s tool of dominion, biblical law.” — Gary North
49. “We’ve lost touch with our souls. We’ve been nourishing our minds, our relational skills, our theological knowledge, our psychological well-being, our physiological health… but we’ve abandoned our souls.” — Mike Yaconelli
50. “In every way we’re troubled but not crushed, frustrated but not in despair, persecuted but not abandoned, struck down but not destroyed. We are always carrying around the death of Jesus in our bodies, so that the life of Jesus may be clearly shown in our bodies.” — 2 Corinthians 4:8-10
What is a serial abandoner?
Almost anyone is capable of being an abandoner in the right context.
Sadly, many abandonment victims go on to become abandoners themselves.
Relationships are complex, and there are many variables that come into play.
Therefore, it wouldn’t be fair to make moral judgments, place blame, or make generalizations about people.
However, despite the idea that most of us can be both abandoned or become abandoners—there is such a thing as a serial abandoner.
These people are ones you should look out for because they enjoy causing emotional pain.
For them, leaving a wake of devastation in their path is how they demonstrate their power or anger.
These people often thrive on the idea that they were loved and worshiped so much that it has left you in an emotionally vulnerable state.
Despite their potential to blame and gaslight you, this is not your fault.
You can survive this incredibly painful moment!
Surviving will require some soul searching and evaluating yourself.
Thriving means not assuming blame or admitting you caused things.
It is more about looking back at where you were uncomfortable or ignored red flags.
Part of this process means taking a personal inventory and learning where your boundaries should have been.
Someone abandoning you is not a reflection of you or your worth.
It is a reflection of their own demons and personality.
You are worthy and deserve to be loved.
Start with learning to face your own traumas (a therapist can be incredibly helpful if you are struggling with feelings of abandonment) and invest your time in loving yourself.
What are some abandonment quotes that you think are the most impactful?
Let us know in the comment section below.