Check out these antisocial quotes that will teach you some things, but will hopefully also make you giggle.
My son, a Dungeons and Dragons enthusiast has a shirt that says, “I’m not antisocial, I just rolled low on charisma.”
It makes me laugh whenever I see it!
However, there are plenty of serious ones that make the list, too!
But, being a little antisocial, or just not really liking people and being introverted, is not a bad thing.
However, Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD) is no laughing matter.
According to the Mayo Clinic, “Those with antisocial personality disorder tend to lie, break laws, act impulsively, and lack regard for their own safety or the safety of others.”
This is why it is so important to understand what antisocial behavior really is, versus being introverted.
Keep reading through these antisocial quotes to learn more about the difference and what it really means to be antisocial.
Funny or thought provoking antisocial quotes
These antisocial quotes will make you think a little deeper about what it means to be antisocial. Take a look and see if you agree with these quotes.
1. “I am not antisocial, I just feel better when people are not around.” ― Efrat Cybulkiewicz
2. “Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists.” — Nikola Tesla
3. “Being anti-social can also mean that you’re aware of how annoying it is to be social.” — Dov Davidoff
4. “Nobody adopts antisocial behavior unless they fear that they will fail if they remain on the social side of life.” — Alfred Adler
5. “I got tattoos for purely antisocial reasons, and now people do it for social acceptance. I miss the individualism.” — Mike Ness
6. “But self-criticism is a luxury the anti-social cannot afford. Only the sane, balanced-person tries to correct his conduct.” — L. Ron Hubbard
7. “Sometimes those who don’t socialize much aren’t actually anti-social, they just have no tolerance for drama and fake people.” — Unknown
8. “Quit being a diva. Get over yourself. And for God’s sake, quit being such an antisocial loner before you end up lonely.” ― Lauren Layne, I Wish You Were Mine
9. “Many of our moments of prosociality, of altruism and Good Samaritanism, are acts of restitution, attempts to counter our antisocial moments.” — Robert Sapolsky
10. “When you can’t smoke, if you stand and stare out of the window on your own, you’re an antisocial, friendless idiot. If you stand and stare out of the window on your own with a cigarette, you’re a philosopher.” — Rory Sutherland
Careers and activities that people think are antisocial quotes
Some things are done individually, but that doesn’t always mean it is an antisocial act. Check out the quotes below and see what you think.
11. “Writing is an antisocial act.” — Martha Grimes
12. “Buying and selling is essentially antisocial.” — Edward Bellamy
13. “If you think about computer programming, it’s as antisocial as it gets.” — Shawn Fanning
14. “I enjoyed the discipline and solitariness of long-distance running, which allowed me to escape from the hurly-burly of school life.” — Nelson Mandela
15. “Writing, at its heart, is a solitary pursuit, designed to make people depressoids, drug addicts, misanthropes, and antisocial weirdos.” — Mindy Kaling
16. “I’m kind of an antisocial person. I realized when I was playing in bands that I wasn’t that comfortable being on-stage, and I preferred to be behind-the-scenes.” — Cliff Martinez
17. “I don’t want to blame anybody, but I just want to tell you that the process of writing is antisocial, so on the days that you have something really important to write, go from lying down directly to your notepad or your computer. Do not talk.” — Sandra Cisneros
18. “All writing is an antisocial act, since the writer is a man who can speak freely only when alone; to be himself he must lock himself up, to communicate he must cut himself off from all communication; and in this there is something always a little mad.” — Kenneth Tynan
19. “The great thing about writing is that…you can do all these antisocial things and you get paid for them and nobody ever arrests you because they’re all make-believe. It’s therapy.” — Stephen King
20. “Some of the qualities that go into making a good reporter – aggressiveness, a certain sneakiness, a secretive nature, nosiness, the ability to find out that which someone wants hidden, the inability to take ‘no’ with any sort of grace, a taste for gossip, rudeness, a fair disdain for what people will think of you and an occasional and calculated disregard for rules – are also qualities that go into making a very antisocial human being.” — Linda Ellerbee
Antisocial quotes about human beings and society
Take a look at these antisocial quotes about how our society views being antisocial. Do you agree or disagree with these quotes?
21. “Humans are naturally social; civilization causes us to be antisocial.” — Kirk D. Sinclair
22. “In a society as broken as ours, “antisocial” behavior is the only behavior worth defending.” — Lauren McLaughlin
23. “While obsessive behavior may be an antisocial plague to societies and communities at large, it’s total moxie when lone practitioners catch it.” — Robert Genn
24. “The poet, the artist, the sleuth, whoever sharpens our perception tends to antisocial; rarely ‘well adjusted,’ he cannot go along with currents and trends.” — Marshall McLuhan
25. “The vital energies regulate themselves naturally without compulsive duty or compulsive morality, both of which are sure signs of existing antisocial impulses.” — Wilhelm Reich
26. “Tangier is one of the few places left in the world where, so long as you don’t proceed to robbery, violence, or some form of crude, antisocial behavior, you can do exactly what you want.” — William S. Burroughs
27. “And for this you must have quiet and solitude. But society does not allow you to have them.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
28. “It’s all in the genes”: an explanation for the way things are that does not threaten the way things are. Why should someone feel unhappy or engage in antisocial behavior when that person is living in the freest and most prosperous nation on earth?” — Louis Menand
29. “Do not be afraid of spending quality time by yourself. Find meaning or don’t find meaning but “steal” some time and give it freely and exclusively to your own self.” — Albert Camus
30. “Man is born an asocial and antisocial being. The newborn child is a savage. Egoism is his nature.” — Ludwig von Mises
Antisocial quotes about introverts
Being antisocial and being an introvert often go hand in hand, but each person is different. Take a look at the quotes below and see what you think.
31. “I’m on the benevolent side of antisocial. I don’t mind people, but I’d prefer not to have a lot of them around.” — J.R. Ward
32. “I’m a little bit antisocial and I recently discovered that I’m introverted. But the love between people makes me alive.” — Emily Saliers
33. “I have recently been called antisocial, and I’d like to set the record straight. I am not antisocial, I like social. It’s people I don’t like!” ― Greg Curtis
34. “You could call me antisocial, I’ve called myself that sometimes too, but I just prefer to be alone, and that’s nothing against you.” — Dawud Wharnsby Ali
35. “Apparently when it’s two people, it’s quirky and funny, but when it’s a person doing the same stuff on her own, it’s rebellious and antisocial.” — Katie Alender
36. “After an hour or two of being socially on, we introverts need to turn off and recharge … This isn’t antisocial. It isn’t a sign of depression.” — Jonathan Rauch
37. “Introverts don’t get lonely if they don’t socialize with a lot of people, but we do get lonely if we don’t have intimate interactions on a regular basis.” — Sphia Dembling
38. “Introverts keep their best stuff inside—that is, until it is ready. And this drives extroverts crazy!” — Laurie Helgoe
39. “Many people believe that introversion is about being antisocial, and that’s really a misperception. So they would prefer to have a glass of wine with a close friend as opposed to going to a loud party full of strangers.” — Susan Cain
40. “It’s important, however, to understand that being introverted is different from being shy or antisocial. Shyness is insecurity or fear of social embarrassment, and the word “antisocial” describes someone who has hostile or harmful feelings toward society. ― Aaron Caycedo-Kimura, Text, Don’t Call: An Illustrated Guide to the Introverted Life
Antisocial quotes about technology, social media, and the internet
Technology often makes it easier to be antisocial as so much can be done from the comfort of your home. You can even interact with people online.
41. “Social media is an advertisement for the superficial extroverted self.” — Hozier
42. “Socializing through an app, / Texting side by side, / Socially antisocial, / On a media-driven ride.” — E.S. Conway
43. “Social media is reducing social barriers. It connects people on the strength of human values, not identities.” — Narendra Modi
44. “The trouble with not being into social networking is that people think you’re anti social when you’re only anti-networking.” — Robert Breault
45. “I’ve invented Twofacebook, the antisocial network. You start being friends w/entire world & defriend people one by one.” — Andy Borowitz
46. “Social media has given us this idea that we should all have a posse of friends when in reality, if we have one or two really good friends, we are lucky.” — Brene Brown
47. “Can I get your cell phone number so we can text like normal antisocial human beings, since we are both too fucked up to have a conversation?” ― J.P. Barnaby, Aaron
48. “You don’t need to go far to see the hatred and abuse that happens online. Even using social media is anti-social because people are always on their phones.” — Ronny Chieng
49. “I think there is something about the Internet which gives people almost an opportunity to role play and to create a facade, an image. I see that as quite a dangerous development because I think what we call social networking, Twitter, Facebook, etc., is actually quite antisocial.” — Steven Wilson
50. “One is faced with a dilemma: If one places total trust in all other users, one is vulnerable to the antisocial behavior of any malicious user consider the case of viruses. But if one tries to be totally reclusive and isolated, one is not only bored, but one’s information universe will cease to grow and be enhanced by interaction with others. The result is that most of us operate in a complicated trade-off zone with various arrangements of trust and security mechanisms.” — Fernando J. Corbato
What it really means to be antisocial
Most of us think, or would define, being antisocial as simply enjoying spending time by yourself.
Accordingly, these people value their quiet introspective time, want to avoid drama, and don’t like spending time with lots of people.
However, most of us should stop calling ourselves or others antisocial, because being antisocial is a psychological disorder with some serious repercussions.
People with ASPD often treat other people terribly and have little remorse.
Psychologists are not referring to loners or introverts when they deem someone as antisocial.
Rather, they are referring to people like Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, and Charles Manson.
These people are often called sociopaths. Contrary to my son’s witty shirt, people like these infamous murders with ASPD are often quite charismatic!
The etymology of the word sociopath comes from the word ‘socio’ which means ‘social or society’ and stems from the Latin word socius.
The end of the word comes from the term psychopath which means someone is morally irresponsible or obeys their impulses regardless of social codes.
According to Harvard psychologist Dr. Martha Stout, one in 25 people are sociopaths.
Certainly that seems terrifying!
However, the good news here is that just because you prefer to be alone and are selective of how you spend your time, doesn’t mean you are one!
So, stop calling yourself antisocial and embrace your introverted self!
Did any of the antisocial quotes apply to you?
Share with your friends and post any comments below to keep the conversation going.
September 17, 2022 8:00 AM EST