Are you looking for berserk quotes?
We have some of the most interesting quotes from the anime Berserk, by Kentaro Miura, but we also have quotes for anyone interested in the history of the word.
What does going berserk mean?
In modern language, to go berserk means to go out of control with anger, excitement, or a wild frenzy.
However, the roots of going berzerk are fascinating.
A Berserker or Berzerker was a Norse warrior who was said to fight in a trance-like fury.
This trance-like fury is the ancient origin of our modern word, berserk.
Norse warriors are better known as Vikings.
Berserkers are well documented and written about in many old Norse sources.
What is a Viking?
Many people are familiar with the term Viking.
A Viking is a blanket or umbrella term that describes many people.
Viking is a catch-all term for people who come from Scandinavia.
The modern countries of Norway, Denmark, and Sweden were formerly made up of a people known as the Norse, or Norsemen.
Check out these interesting Viking facts below:
- Vikings were Scandinavian seafaring warriors
- Vikings were feared because they raided and colonized parts of Europe
- Vikings had a strong presence in Europe from the ninth century to the eleventh.
The Viking way of life and their economy was based on a system of raiding.
Viking warriors could also be described as traders, pirates, explorers, and colonizers.
They traveled by sea and took over large areas of Europe and beyond.
How did the Vikings go berserk?
Going berserk was not simply about being a brute and going into a rage.
Vikings were spiritual people with a richly developed form of spirituality whose religion was polytheistic in nature.
Odin, Thor, Loki, Frey, and Berserk Tyr were some of the main Viking gods.
The Vikings believed they became vessels or channels for their gods when they entered the trance-like berserk state in battle.
To enter this state, a warrior had to attain a certain amount of focus and concentration to reach berserk mode.
When Viking warriors went berserk, they believed they were being guided by their gods to ensure victory in battle.
Did Viking women go berserk?
Relative to other nation-states in Europe, Viking women had many rights.
Viking women, also known as shieldmaidens, were able to own property and divorce their husbands.
Many Viking women were responsible for their family or clan’s finances and farms while their husbands were abroad.
There are several accounts of women who dressed like men, took up swords, and learned to fight.
One of the most famous Viking women was Lagertha, the wife of Ragnar Lothbrok.
Why did the Viking era end?
The age of going berserk lasted for over two centuries.
Vikings successfully dominated parts of Europe from the ninth to the eleventh century.
Harald III Sigurdsson, the king of Norway, was defeated at the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066.
Losing this battle marked the end of Viking dominance.
Check out our berserk quotes below for more informative content about going berserk.
Berserk quotes about winning and life
These quotes remind us that if we want to be the best, sometimes we have to get a little berserk to get the job done.
1. “If you want to win a race, you have to go a little berserk.” — Bill Rodgers
2. “I have been going berserk for years, but it falls upon def ears.” — Anonymous
3. “The world of research has gone berserk. Too much paperwork.” — Bob Dylan
4. “Enthusiasm and excitement can be expressed without going berserk.” — Marv Albert
5. “You don’t wanna see me go berserk, bub; it will be the last thing you see.” — Wolverine
6. “If you want to win anything; a race, yourself, your life, you have to go a little berserk.” — George A. Sheehan
7. “Boredom turns a man to sex, a woman to shopping, and it drives newscasters berserk.” — Bruce Herschensohn
8. “Education is my next big thing. When music and art were taken out of the schools, I went berserk!” — Bette Midler
9. “I mean, you might have wanted Carrie Bradshaw, but to me, she’s like toddlers and tiaras gone berserk!” — Michael Kors
10. “Meditation is hard. You are constantly trying to focus on one thing. Usually, your breath and your mind is going to go berserk.” — Dan Harris
Berserk quotes for when you are going crazy
11. “Sex suppressed will go berserk, But it keeps us all alive. It’s a wonderful change from wives and work. And it ends at half past five.” — Gavin Ewart
12. “So I can’t do coffee, or cola, or coffee ice cream, or any of those things. They make me feel like I’m going berserk.” — Mark Hosler
13. “I can’t fault [Donald] Trump for firing [Craig] Deare. Then again, I also can’t fault Deare for going berserk. Sometimes a marriage just doesn’t work.” — Kevin Drum
14. “These are people that we loved so much that we drove them berserk with all the attention, and they basically didn’t have any particular stellar talents.” — Don McLean
15. “One day, I was talking to this guy that owns BBE over in England, and I said I’ve got some tapes and stuff that you might be interested in, and he went berserk.” — Roy Ayers
16. “They were saying, ‘Keep this under your hat, but Jack Sparrow is going to die in the second movie.’ I went, ‘You’re kidding me. The fans are going to go berserk.’” — Geoffrey Rush
17. “The behavior of the crowd at Churchill Downs is like 100,000 vicious hyenas going berserk all at once in a space about the size of a 777 jet or the White House lawn.” — Hunter S. Thompson
18. “Look at the paintings of Picasso. He is a great painter but just a subjective artist. Looking at his paintings, you will start feeling sick, dizzy, something going berserk in your mind.” — Rajneesh
19. “I go berserk just forcing myself not to go berserk, just trying to see truth in the lie, to see it in full context, and in a dimension in which it has got to be more than just a lie, possibly the profoundest kind of truth.” — William Saroyan
20. “When kindness happens to us, we go a little berserk. It’s threatening. Deeply. Because if I have to admit how profoundly I need kindness? I have to admit that I hid the me who deserves it down in a sadness well.” — Lidia Yuknavitch
Berserk quotes about fate and dreams that will make you think
Here are deep quotes about what it means to go berserk and the repercussions of our actions.
21. “It was that blasted perfume of yours. As soon as he caught one whiff of it, he went berserk.” — Lisa Kleypas, It Happened One Autumn
22. “We were the ultimate consumers of the thing, and we thought, “Every college kid is going to go berserk. High school kids – it will introduce them to music they didn’t know about.” — Jancee Dunn
23. “Boredom gives you half a mind to get a gun and go berserk in the local shopping center, and you know where this is going. Eventually, boredom means you will take up golf.” — Jeremy Clarkson, The World According to Clarkson
24. “That’s critical to me, the community. When I was 12 years old, I had a mental breakdown; I went berserk for a long time. I felt rejection from the white community.” — Cecil Williams
25. “Are we not familiar with this spectacle in the human being also? The Norsemen who went berserk, the Malay who runs amuck, are these not examples of implosion and explosion? — Henry Miller, Sexus
26. “She can’t afford to commit more troops, Holly whispered. The gate is her priority, and she needs to have as many Berserkers watching her back as possible. We are secondary at this point.” — Eoin Colfer
27. “I think one of the things I always loved about the comics was this idea that this character when he goes berserk, that white, blind rage makes him incredibly powerful, but it’s also a great flaw.” — Hugh Jackman
28. “If you were the GDP, your ideal citizen would be a compulsive gambler with cancer who’s going through a drawn-out divorce that he copes with by popping fistfuls of Prozac and going berserk on Black Friday.” — Rutger Bregman, Utopia for Realists
29. “I do not admire ‘the people,’ as such. No one really does. Their folk wisdom is usually false, their instincts predatory. Even their sense of survival – so highly developed in the individual – goes berserk in the mass. A crowd is a fool.” — Gore Vidal
30. “I have a lot of people to thank, and I’m going to be one of those people that tries to mention a lot of names because I know just two seconds ago, my mother and father went completely berserk, and I’d like to give some other mothers and fathers that same opportunity.” — Meryl Streep
The best Berserk quotes by Guts, from the anime by Kentaro Miura
Guts is one of the most popular characters from the anime, Berserk. People love his never surrender attitude.
31. “I’d rather fight for my life than live it.” — Guts, Berserk
32. “Could you settle for a smile, and a fond farewell?” — Guts, Berserk
33. “You have the strongest armor because you are the weakest!” — Guts, Berserk
34. “My place really was here. I was too foolish and stubborn to notice.” — Guts, Berserk
35. “Humans are weak, but we want to live. Even if we’re wounded or tortured, we feel the pain.” — Guts, Berserk
36. “But, what I truly hoped for then was here. Why do I always realize it when I’ve already lost it.” — Guts, Berserk
37. “Every sword belongs in its sheath. Go back to the sheath your master holds. Go back to Griffith.” — Guts, Berserk
38. “He appeared right in front of me, and he wasn’t a demon but what looked like a human.” — Guts, Berserk
39. “As if he’d been yanked from before into the present unchanged. I gazed at him, and for a second, I forgot to kill him.” — Guts, Berserk
40. “People who perish in other’s battles are worms… If one can’t live their life the way they want, they might as well die.” — Guts, Berserk
More Berserk quotes from Guts
Guts is a man who sticks to his beliefs; he is popular among fans and readers because he lives by a warrior’s code.
41. “When you meet your God, tell him to leave me alone.” — Guts, Berserk
42. “Do whatever you want now. But if you disturb me, I’ll kill you.” — Guts, Berserk
43. “If you’re alone, if it’s just your life, you can use it however you please.” — Guts, Berserk
44. “One who does something he hates just because he’s told to is called an errand boy.” — Guts, Berserk
45. “If you’re always worried about crushing the ants beneath you; you won’t be able to walk.” — Guts, Berserk
46. “You’re going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road. It means nothing.” — Guts, Berserk
48. “Fighting like death doesn’t concern you becomes a thing of the past. It’s no longer just you.” — Guts, Berserk
49. “I threw away my way of life, relied on the strength of others, and somehow pushed on.” — Guts, Berserk
50. “Even if we painstakingly piece together something lost, it doesn’t mean things will ever go back to how they were.” — Guts, Berserk
Do people still go berserk?
It is common for the definitions of words to evolve or transform over time.
Berserk is not immune to these natural changes.
For a word that used to mean a trance-like warrior state, much has changed.
The word berserk has a violent history but has taken on a slightly different meaning in modern times.
People still use the word berserk to describe someone who goes into a rage.
The word also still applies to someone who reaches a trance-like state.
However, people often refer to someone going berserk during an athletic performance or perhaps in a heated argument.
It no longer applies to going raiding or pillaging a foreign village.
Today, a sports announcer might say something like, “Lebron James went berserk on the court tonight and recorded a triple-double.”
Do you have favorite beserk quotes and sayings?
Please, be sure to let us know in the comment section below.