These powerful body shaming quotes are designed to inform and encourage.
Whether you realize it or not, we all have a body image.
A body image is the way that someone perceives their body and assumes that others see.
This image is impacted by family, friends, social pressure, and the media.
Psychologist Robert Holden shared, “No amount of self-improvement can make up for any lack of self-acceptance.”
Many people walk around unhappy with their bodies. Eating disorders continue to increase.
Self-esteem is how we feel about ourselves. Our self-esteem is directly linked to our body image.
Young people are particularly vulnerable to this idea.
Low self-esteem teens are more susceptible to developing eating disorders.
According to dosomething.org, “91% of women are unhappy with their bodies and resort to dieting to achieve an ideal shape.”
Both men and women are affected by body shaming. Check out our body shaming quotes.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
Short Body Shaming Quotes
Sometimes we all need a quick and to the point message. Take a look at these short body shaming quotes below.
1. “Everyone’s body shamed!” – Tina Sequeira, Bhumi: A Collection of Short Stories
2. “You don’t have to love your body to be kind to it.” – Alissa Rumsey
3. “Life is so much more beautiful and complex than a number on a scale.” – Tess Munster
4. “You can’t criticize yourself thin.” – Jessica Ortner
5. “No amount of self-improvement can make up for any lack of self-acceptance.” – Robert Holden
6. “I’m not going to sacrifice my mental health to have the perfect body.” – Demi Lovato
7. “You don’t encourage people to take care of their body by telling them to hate it.” – Laci Green
8. “To all the girls that think you’re fat because you’re not a size zero, you’re the beautiful one. It’s society who’s ugly.” – Marilyn Monroe
9. “I accept all of the bodies.” – Rihanna
10. “Stop trying to fix your body. It was never broken.” – Eve Ensler
Body Shaming Quotes about Loving Yourself
We all need to be reminded that we are unique and we do not need to look or act like anyone else. Take a look at the body shaming quotes below.
11. “Don’t waste so much time worrying about your skin or your weight. Develop what you do, what you put your hands on in the world.” – Meryl Streep
12. “I’ve made peace with the fact that the things I thought were weaknesses or flaws were just me. I like them.” — Sandra Bullock
13. “Hating our bodies is something that we learn, and it sure as hell is something that we can unlearn.” – Megan Jayne Crabbe
14. “You can’t hate yourself happy.” – Jessica Ortner
15. “I am allowed to look sexy, feel sexy, and be in love. I am worthy of all those things, and so are you.” – Mary Lambert
16. “Real change begins with self-love and self-care.” – Jessica Ortner
17. “It’s my life and my body and only I have the right to decide what I’m gonna do with it.” –Zareen Khan
18. “If we make self-love or body acceptance conditional, the truth is, we will never be happy with ourselves.” – Chrissy King
19. “Every potato chip I’ve have ever eaten has added another chip to my shoulder. They’re a lot heavier to carry around than the pounds, somehow.” – Gina Barreca
20. “You’ve just got to laugh at yourself, honestly. I mean, I know when I’m having a fat day and when I’ve lost weight.” – Rihanna
Social Media Body Shaming Quotes
Where is one place we are apt to see quotes about the importance of loving your body today? The answer is social media and you can see some examples below.
21. “I think it’s so important for women who like me … [that they] find themselves, that they can be beautiful or be objects of love and attention and affection.” – Mindy Kaling
22. “The reality is that our bodies are constantly changing, and they will never remain exactly the same.” – Chrissy King
23. “No one woman has ever said, ‘I am so proud of my body.’ So I make sure to say it to my daughter because a positive physical outlook has to start at an early age.” – Kate Winslett
24. “Who cares if there are lumps on my thighs? I’m guilty of having human legs made up of fat, muscle, and skin, and sometimes when you sit, they get bumpy!” – Kristen Bell
25. “You can’t shame yourself worthy.” – Jessica Ortner
26. “I don’t want to wait until I’m 73 to embrace my body.” – Ashley Asti
27. “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
28. “I’ve never wanted to look like models on the cover of magazines. I represent the majority of women and I’m very proud of that.” – Adele
29. “They shouldn’t really try to conform to any kind of stereotype. Just be happy and hopefully healthy.” – Rebel Wilson
30. “True beauty in a women is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she knows.” – Audrey Hepburn
Body Shaming Quotes For Instagram
Some quotes just go better with a picture. The best place to find this pairing is often Instagram. Check out the quotes below.
31. “Since I don’t look like every other girl, it takes a while to be okay with that. To be different. But different is good.” — Serena Williams
32. “Girls see enough of this body we can’t imitate, that we’ll never be able to obtain … these unrealistic expectations. It’s better to look healthy and strong.” – Jennifer Lawrence
33. “I realize everybody wants what they don’t have. But at the end of the day, what you have inside is much more beautiful than what’s on the outside.” — Selena Gomez
34. “There’s a sense that we’re all ‘too’ something, and we’re all not enough. This is life. Our bodies change. Our minds change. Our hearts change.” – Emma Stone
35. “I definitely have body issues, but everybody does. When you come to the realization that everybody does that — even the people that I consider flawless — then you can start to live with the way you are.” – Taylor Swift
36. “My great hope for us as young women is to start being kinder to ourselves so that we can be kinder to each other. To stop shaming ourselves and other people: ‘too fat, too skinny, too short, too tall, too anything.’” – Emma Stone
37. “Beauty is the enemy. We try to conquer not feeling beautiful all our lives. It’s a battle that can’t be won.” – Miley Cyrus
38. “I don’t really care what I look like that much, and I think women out there should just be happy with the way they look.” – Rebel Wilson
39. “There’s no definition of beauty. The only way to achieve beauty is to feel it from inside without breaking down into individual physical attributes.” – Miley Cyrus
40. “You are not a mistake. You are not a problem to be solved. But you won’t discover this until you are willing to stop banging your head against the wall of shaming and caging and fearing yourself.” – Geneen Roth
Body Shaming Quotes about Enjoying Your Body
You will never feel about about yourself by being negative about your body. Instead, enjoy your body and who you are. Take a look at the quotes below about enjoying your unique body.
41. “My weight? It is what it is. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow. It’s about being content. And sometimes other priorities win.” – Melissa McCarthy
42. “I stand in front of the mirror and say to Mia [my daughter], ‘We are so lucky that we’ve got a shape. We’re so lucky we’re curvy.'” – Kate Winslet
43. “Your words have so much power. Every day, if you tell yourself ‘I love you,’ if you give yourself one word of validation, it will change your mind.” – Ashley Graham
44. “If we base our self-worth on something as ever-changing as our bodies, we will forever be on the emotional roller coaster of body obsession and shame.” – Chrissy King
45. “And I said to my body softly, ‘I want to be your friend.’ It took a long breath and replied, ‘I have been waiting my whole life for this.” – Nayyirah Waheed
46. “So the question is, which boulder are you going to choose to roll? The ‘must lose weight’ boulder or the ‘fuck you I will boldly, defiantly accept the body I’ve got and LIVE IN IT’ boulder?” – Kate Harding
47. “To look back and think of my beauty: How did I miss it? Let’s not wait another moment.” –Ashley Asti
48. “I say I love myself, and they’re like, ‘oh my gosh’, she’s so brave. She’s so political. For what? All I said is ‘I love myself, bitch!’” – Lizzo
49. “Don’t waste so much time thinking about how much you weigh. There is no more mind-numbing, boring, idiotic, self-destructive diversion from the fun of living.” – Meryl Streep
50. “As a child, I never heard one woman say to me, ‘I love my body.’ Not my mother, my elder sister, my best friend.” – Kate Winslet
We spend so much time trying to live up to certain standards that we can miss time enjoying who we are.
As it turns out, only 5% of the women in the world naturally possess the body type often portrayed by Americans in the media.
Additionally, studies have shown that the more reality television a child watches, the more likely they will find appearance more critical.
While we should always strive to put our best foot forward, it can become harmful if we develop a belief system that is strictly appearance based.
Young people feel the pressure to change their bodies at school.
For example, 58% of college-aged girls feel pressured to be a certain weight.
The pressures for men and women are different.
However, men are also subject to these phenomena too. 20% of men surveyed agreed they would consider cosmetic surgery in the future.
Before you or someone you love experiences body shaming, memorize or re-visit these body shaming quotes to help you remember that our bodies are gifts.
We will always feel disadvantaged if we believe we must become something other than ourselves to feel joy and achieve success.
Finally, please share how you or your friends have learned to accept and enjoy yourself!