Have some fun with these awesome gambling quotes.
Gambling is one of humankind’s oldest activities.
For our ancient ancestors, going out to hunt, gather food, or construct housing was a gamble.
Today we all gamble one way or another.
Driving in a car or flying in a plane are gambles that include some risks.
It is uncertain how far gambling goes back, but we have concrete evidence from as early as 200 BC in ancient China, where forms of gambling existed.
In China, archeologists found keno slips for funding state works that possibly led to the Great Wall’s construction.
Similar to present-day conditions, past governments strictly regulated and curtailed gambling.
Ancient China, Greece, Rome, and Egypt all had laws prohibiting or limiting gambling practices.
Many cultures in the past used lotteries to fund ventures.
Elihu Yale used lottery funds to establish Yale University.
Harvard University had a similar origin.
Enjoy reading these gambling quotes.
Check out our collection of poker quotes if you enjoy this article.
Funny Gambling Quotes
1. “Gambling is the future on the internet. You can only look at so many dirty pictures.” – Simon Noble
You will also enjoy our article on chinese proverbs.
2. “The better the gambler, the worse the man.” – Publius Syrus
You will also enjoy our article on Klaus Mikaelson quotes.
3. “Nine gamblers could not feed a single rooster.” – Yugoslav Proverb
4. “Eat your betting money but don’t bet your eating money.” – Chinese Proverb
5. “True luck consists not in holding the best of the cards at the table; luckiest is he who knows just when to rise and go home.” – John Milton Hay
6. “The only sure thing about luck is that it will change.” – Wilson Mizner
7. “The safest way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket.” – Kin Hubbard
8. “Last year, people won more than one billion dollars playing poker. And casinos made twenty-seven billion just by being around those people.” – Samantha Bee
9. “You’ll always miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretzky
10. “The guy who invented poker was bright, but the guy who invented the chip was a genius.” – Julius Weintraub
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of casino quotes to fuel your passion for gambling.
Gambling Quotes About Love
11. “The safe way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket.” – Kin Hubbard
12. “Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing for something.” – Wilson Mizner
13. “Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.” – Charles Lamb
14. “The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that’s the way to bet.” – Damon Runyon
15. “Don’t gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don’t go up, don’t buy it.” – Will Rogers
16. “Women’s total instinct for gambling is satisfied by marriage.” – Gloria Steinem
17. “There are three roads to ruin; women, gambling, and technicians. The most pleasant is with women, the quickest is with gambling, but the surest is with technicians.” – Georges Pompidou
18. “The urge to gamble is so universal and its practice so pleasurable that I assume it must be evil.” – Heywood Hale Broun
19. “I don’t gamble because winning a hundred dollars doesn’t give me great pleasure. But losing a hundred dollars pisses me off.” – Alex Trebek
20. “No wife can endure a gambling husband unless he is a steady winner.” – Thomas Dewar
Check out our collection of Rounders quotes if you enjoy this article.
Gambling Quotes From Movies
21. “I only gamble with my life, never my money.” – Brendan Fraser
22. “This schmuck is gambling? You’re talking about Franky. “I’ve got a problem with gambling” Four Fingers!” – Dennis Farina (Cousin Avi) Snatch
23. “He got over his gambling problem, but the bookies beat him to death anyway. So, he’s dead. That’s it.” – Norm Macdonald
24. “Made a crazy risk. You gamble, and it’s – about to pay off.” – Adam Sandler
25. “An Englishman never jokes about a wager, sir.” – David Diven
26. “Sure is a hard town for a fella to have a quiet game o’ poker in.” – Henry Fonda
27. “Oh, I don’t lose. People who bet on me to lose-lose. And they lose big.” – Al Pacino
28. “I’m going to find moral redemption at the roulette table.” – Steve Carrell
29. “I find I can make a very honest living cheating at cards.” – Millard Mitchell
30. “I like blackjacks a little more than I should.” – Jason Statham
Gambling Quotes From The Bible
31. “Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labor shall increase.” – Proverbs 13:11
32. “For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.” – 1 Timothy 6:10
33. “The lot is cast into the lap, but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD.” – Proverbs 16:33
34. “But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.” – 1 Timothy 6:9-10
35. “No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.” – Matthew 6:24
36. “He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.” – Ecclesiastes 5:10
37. “But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.” – 1 Timothy 6:9
38. “And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.” – Luke 12:15
39. “Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labor, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.” – Ephesians 4:28
40. “He that hasteth to be rich hath an evil eye, and considereth not that poverty shall come upon him.” – Proverbs 28:22
Gambling Quotes and Sayings
41. “Gambling with cards or dice or stocks is all one thing. It’s getting money without giving an equivalent for it.” – Henry Ward Beecher
42. “At gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” – Ian Fleming
43. “The only man who makes money following the races is the one who does it with a broom and shovel.” – Elbert Hubbard
44. “Gambling is the great leveler. All men are equal at cards.” – Nikolai Gogol
45. “Gambling with cards or dice or stocks is all one thing. It’s getting money without giving an equivalent for it.” – Henry Ward Beecher
46. “Gambling is an act of faith of gamblers. Prophecy is an act of faith of the saints.” – Toba Beta
47. “Luck, bad if not good, will always be with us. But it has a way of favoring the intelligent and showing its back to the stupid.” – John Dewey
48. “Nobody is always a winner, and anybody who says he is, is either a liar or doesn’t play poker.” – Alfred Alvarez
49. “There are two great pleasures in gambling: that of winning and that of losing.”— French Proverb
50. “To be a poker champion, you must have a strong bladder.” – Jack McClelland
What did you learn from these gambling quotes?
For many cultures in the past, gambling was not necessarily betting.
People had different views of life, and the concept of determining fate was prevalent in many societies.
Evidence exists in carved writings or tombs of equipment used for gambling.
Casting lots of marked sticks, throwing knuckle bones, and choosing lengths of hay were all considered divinely influenced.
Humans sought knowledge of the future from the gods, and the game’s outcome reflected cosmic wisdom.
The gods spoke through the game.
It was not long before people went from seeking their destiny to betting on outcomes.
Today gambling is more popular than ever.
Data from PBS polls suggest over 60% of American adults gambled last year or over the past twelve months on some activity, and over 80% say that gambling is legitimate and casinos are okay.
Gambling generates more revenue than movies, spectator sports, theme parks, cruise ships, and recorded music combined.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these gambling quotes and sayings?
Let us know in the comment section below.