These Greta Thunberg quotes will inspire you do to what you can for a better world.
Greta Thunberg is a climate activist from Sweden who became the youngest person ever to become Time’s Person of the year for 2019 – just shy of her 17th birthday.
What changes are you making to help the environment?
Extremely passionate about the environment, Greta started the “School Strike for Climate” protests in 2018. Originally protesting alone, Greta then inspired millions to protest with her. She gained awareness through social media and has since traveled the world (in a zero-emissions yacht) to speak out about climate change.
Greta has performed a TED talk, addressed delegates at the UN climate talks in Poland, made speeches at the UK houses of Parliament, spoke before the House Foreign Affairs Committee and the House Select Committee in Washington D.C., and has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
These Greta Thunberg quotes share her passion for the environment and urge the world to do their part to save our planet.
Also check out our collection of Earth Day quotes for more inspiration.
Greta Thunberg quotes about climate change
1. “At first when I heard about climate change, I was a climate denier. I didn’t think it was happening. Because if there really was an existential crisis like that, that would threaten our civilization, we wouldn’t be focusing on anything else.” – Greta Thunberg
2. “I think it is insane that people are gathered here to talk about the climate and they arrive here in private jets” – Greta Thunberg
3. “Adults keep saying we owe it to the young people, to give them hope, but I don’t want your hope. I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. I want you to act. I want you to act as you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if the house is on fire, because it is.” – Greta Thunberg
4. “Humans are very adaptable: we can still fix this. But the opportunity to do so will not last for long. We must start today. We have no more excuses.” – Greta Thunberg
5. “Politicians one second say climate change is very important, it is the most important topic and we are going to do everything we can to stop it. And the next second, they want to expand airports, build new coal power plants and motorways. And then they fly off in a private jet to attend a meeting on the other side of the world.” – Greta Thunberg
Greta Thunberg quotes about having the power
6. “For way too long, the politicians and the people in power have gotten away with not doing anything to fight the climate crisis, but we will make sure that they will not get away with it any longer. We are striking because we have done our homework and they have not.” – Greta Thunberg
7. “Some people, some companies, some decision-makers in particular, have known exactly what priceless values they have been sacrificing to continue making unimaginable amounts of money. And I think many of you here today belong to that group of people” – Greta Thunberg
8. “For way too long the politicians and people in power have got away with not doing anything at all to fight the climate crisis and ecological crisis. But we will make sure that they will not get away with it any longer. We will never stop fighting, we will never stop fighting for this planet, for ourselves, our futures and for the future’s of our children and grandchildren.” – Greta Thunberg
9. “I’m not that special. I can’t convince everyone. I’m just going to do what I want to do and what will have most impact.” – Greta Thunberg
You might also like these insightful Jane Goodall quotes about the environment.
Greta Thunberg quotes about humanity
10. “Humanity is now standing at a crossroads. We must now decide which path we want to take. How do we want the future living conditions for all living species to be like?” – Greta Thunberg
11. “This ongoing irresponsible behavior will no doubt be remembered in history as one of the greatest failures of humankind.” – Greta Thunberg
12. “Sometimes we just simply have to find a way. The moment we decide to fulfill something, we can do anything. And I’m sure the moment we start behaving as if we were in an emergency, we can avoid climate and ecological catastrophe.” – Greta Thunberg
13. “This is above all an emergency and not just any emergency. This is the biggest crisis humanity has ever faced. This is not something you can like on Facebook.” – Greta Thunberg
Don’t forget to also read these climate change quotes to inspire you to take action.
Greta Thunberg quotes about taking action
14. “We can’t save the world by playing by the rules, because the rules have to be changed. Everything needs to change – and it has to start today.” – Greta Thunberg
15. “The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change.” – Greta Thunberg
16. “This is not the time and place for dreams. This is the time to wake up. This is a moment in history where we need to be wide awake.” – Greta Thunberg
17. “We are the ones making a difference – we the people in Extinction Rebellion and the children’s School Strike for the Climate – we are the ones making a difference.” – Greta Thunberg
18. “You must not gamble your children’s future on the flip of a coin. Instead, you must unite behind the science. You must take action. You must do the impossible. Because giving up can never ever be an option.” – Greta Thunberg
19. “This is all wrong. I shouldn’t be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean, yet you all come to us young people for hope. How dare you?” – Greta Thunberg
20. “Many people say that Sweden is just a small country, and it doesn’t matter what we do, but I have learned you are never too small to make a difference.” – Greta Thunberg
21. “We cannot solve a crisis without treating it as a crisis. And if solutions within the system are so impossible to find, then maybe we should change the system itself.” – Greta Thunberg
Other Greta Thunberg quotes
22. “I don’t really like being in the centre of attention. I’m not used to that. All my life I have been like the invisible girl at the back that no one sees or listens to.” – Greta Thunberg
23. “I often talk to people who say, ‘No, we have to be hopeful and to inspire each other, and we can’t tell [people] too many negative things’ . . . But, no — we have to tell it like it is. Because if there are no positive things to tell, then what should we do, should we spread false hope? We can’t do that, we have to tell the truth.” – Greta Thunberg
24. “Since our leaders are behaving like children, we will have to take the responsibility they should have taken long ago.” – Greta Thunberg
25. “You say you love your children above all else and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.” – Greta Thunberg
26. “Why should I be studying for a future that soon may be no more, when no one is doing anything to save that future? And what is the point of learning facts when the most important facts clearly mean nothing to our society?” – Greta Thunberg
27. “If you still say that we are wasting valuable lesson time, then let me remind you our political leaders have wasted decades through denial and inaction” – Greta Thunberg
28. “Many of you appear concerned that we are wasting valuable lesson time, but I assure you we will go back to school the moment you start listening to science and give us a future.” – Greta Thunberg
29. “Of course, there are climate delayers who want to do everything to shift the focus of the climate crisis to something else or want to make people question the science.” – Greta Thunberg
30. “You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words.” – Greta Thunberg
You might also like these Edward Abbey quotes from the environmental activist.
Which of these Greta Thunberg quotes resonated with you best?
Greta Thunberg is known for her indignant and blunt speeches. She is known for telling the facts how they are, without the extra sugar coating. As a teenager, Greta has managed to make a huge impact on climate awareness, simply by caring enough about the earth to make a difference and caring not at all what people think about her attitude.
But it isn’t enough to spread awareness. In order to make an impact on climate change, we all have to decrease our carbon footprint. It may not be practical for everyone to travel by a zero-emissions yacht like Greta does, but there are things we can do in our daily lives that will make an impact. For instance, eating less meat, or going completely vegan, is a simple act that can make a world of difference.
Did you like these insightful Greta Thunberg quotes? Which quote inspired you the most? Let us know in the comment section below.