To get from Point A to Point B, we all have to travel to get to our destination either by foot or by some type of vehicle. If you’re the driver of the vehicle, these safety quotes and sayings will take you back to re-learn or refresh your mind with the most important part of driving – safety.
Consider it your non-traditional review course on Driving 101.
Why is safety so important?
When you drive, you’re accountable for anything and anyone you’ll pass up on the road including pedestrians, your fellow drivers, your passengers and yourself as well as inanimate and living objects around you.
Read these safety quotes and keep safe, alert, sharp and mindful when you’re on the road.
Safety quotes about the conservation of human life
1. “Precaution is better than cure.” – Edward Coke
2. “Safety brings first aid to the uninjured.” – F.S. Hughes
3. “I’ve personally met up with quite a few legless, armless and other badly messed-up folks. There’s a whole lot of mighty serious accident contemplation going on in our hospitals. My observations have taught me that it is much better to think about accidents before they happen than to brood on them afterward. … Personally, I’d rather be late for dinner tonight here than to be on time for breakfast in the next world in the morning. Haste makes waste of a lot of good human material.” – Irvin S. Cobb
4. “Let’s manage safety recognizing how humans are and stop managing safety the way we wish humans were.” – Alan Quilley
5. “Nothing is of greater importance that the conservation of human life.” – Calvin Coolidge
6. “Safety is 30% Common Sense, 80% Compliance and the rest is good luck.” – Barry Spud
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of good luck quotes for when you are feeling ill-fated.
7. “Shallow men believe in luck; wise and strong men in the cause and effect.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. “Teaching the world to be careful is a constructive service worthy of God’s great gift of life to man.” – Justice Harold H. Burton
9. “The automobile has brought death, injury and the most inestimable sorrow and deprivation to millions of people.” – Ralph Nader
10. “The economic waste resulting from carelessness is appalling, but anyone who stops for a moment to consider the sorrow and desolation which is brought into thousands of lives each year by utter thoughtlessness must feel a new resolve to make a habit of “Safety First.” – W. C. Durant
Road safety quotes on the ideal of caution
11. “The future of the safety movement is not so much dependent upon the invention of safety devices as on the improvement of methods of educating people to the ideal of caution and safety.” – Walter Dill Scott
12. “The real enemy of safety is not non-compliance but non-thinking.” – Dr. Rob Long
13. “A lot of the people who keep a gun at home for safety are the same ones who refuse to wear a seat belt.” – George Carlin
14. “A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defense.” – Unknown
15. “Baseball is like driving. It’s the one who gets home safely that counts.” – Tommy Lasorda
16. “Caution is the parent of safety.”- Unknown
17. “Don’t learn by accident.” – Unknown
18. “Everything you need to get that relaxed driving that brings consistency only comes with practice.”- Unknown
19. “For safety is not a gadget but a state of mind.” – Eleanor Everet
20. “Government’s first duty and highest obligation is public safety.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Safety quotes that will inspire you to do better
21. “Hug your kids at home but belt them in the car.”- Unknown
22. “If safety is a joke, then death is the punchline.” – Unknown
23. “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.” – Lewis Carroll
24. “If you drink, don’t drive. Don’t even putt.” – Dean Martin
25. “I’m not a daredevil. I don’t fly without a safety net.” – Steve Wynn
26. “It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.” – Unknown
27. “Leave sooner, drive slower, live longer.”- Unknown
28. “Luck runs out but safety is good for life.” – Unknown
29. “My job provides the paycheck but safety takes me home.” – Unknown
30. “Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.” – Unknown
Safety quotes to make you wiser
31. “Every accident is a notice that something is wrong with men, methods, or material — investigate — then act.” – Unknown
32. “Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.” – Mac McCleary
33. “Reckless driving is operating a vehicle in a speed or manner likely to endanger other drivers.” – Unknown
34. “Recklessness is a species of crime and should be so regarded on our streets and highways.” – Marlen E. Pew
35. “Road sense is the offspring of courtesy and the parent of safety.” – Unknown
36. “Safety doesn’t happen by accident.” – Unknown
37. “Safety First is Safety Always.” – Charles M. Hayes
38. “Safety is a continuing journey, not a final destination.” – Unknown
39. “The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it.” – Dudley Moore
40. “The best safety lies in fear.” – William Shakespeare
Safety quotes to inspire and teach
41. “The driver that you have to sell on safety shouldn’t be driving.” – Kyle Petty
42. “The safety of the people is the highest law.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
43. “The speedway ends at the cemetery.” – Unknown
44. “To develop foresight, you need to practice hindsight.” – Jane McGonigal
45. “To err is human. To cover up is unforgivable. And to fail to learn is inexcusable.” – Professor Sir Liam Donaldson
46. “To know the road ahead, ask those coming back.” – Chinese Proverb
47. “To the everyday driver, we’d like to say that, anytime you’re engaging in something else while driving, that really does increase your crash risk by two to three times.” – Charlie Klauer
48. “When you gamble with safety, you bet with your life.” – Unknown
49. “Working safely is like breathing – if you don’t, you die.” – Jerry Smith
50. “You are the key to safety.” – Unknown
51. “Self-driving cars are the natural extension of active safety and obviously something we should do.” – Elon Musk
Which of these safety quotes resonated with you best?
If you’ve already got tired of hearing people say, “Better safe than sorry” when they’re telling you to be extra careful when you engage in something as important as driving, then you probably have not been in an accident yet and hurt yourself or others.
These safety quotes that reveal the grim consequences of reckless driving should make you think twice going forward.
Always make sure your car is road compliant and your driving skills and habits are focused on safety. Make the right decisions every time you’re behind the wheel.
Remember, road safety is important because it’s equal to the preservation of life which we all deserve to have and to live no matter what.
Did we miss out on any other important safety quotes? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
December 21, 2019 7:30 AM EST