Self-pity is one of the most powerful human emotions.
Learn how to make this emotion work for you with our self-pity quotes below.
What is self-pity?
Have you ever thought to yourself, “Why does everything bad always have to happen to me?”
If not, that’s fantastic, but you are not alone if you have.
Self-pity is when we feel self-centered and sorry about our internal or external experiences.
Self-pity aims to attract attention, help, or empathy from others.
Check out these interesting self-pity facts below:
- Self-pity is not the same as self-compassion.
- Self-pity makes authentic self-reflection difficult.
- People with self-pity deflect criticism of themselves.
Is self-pity really that dangerous?
The short answer is yes.
Self-pity can start an avalanche of negative emotions, which can keep us in a self-imposed prison.
Many researchers and scientists have been paying particular attention to self-pity as depression and suicide rates rise nationwide.
Self-pity is a common response to stressful events.
However, recent studies have shown that self-pity strongly correlates with neuroticism and depression.
People with high amounts of self-pity tend to see themselves as controlled by chance and the power of others.
Strong connections were also found with individuals with high self-pity, anger, loneliness, and worrisome attachments.
Women were found to report more self-pity than men.
How do we deal with self-pity?
Self-pity is an avoidance strategy many people use to run from responsibility or fear.
Our thoughts are compelling.
Scientists have found that patients who experience self-pity find relief by thinking happy thoughts and being mindful of what they consume in terms of entertainment.
Many found that feelings of self-pity go away when replaced with reminders of positive aspects of life.
Life is an ebb and flow, so it is natural to feel down sometimes.
However, perpetually wallowing in pity for our internal or external conditions does not help us solve our problems.
To learn more, check out our self-pity quotes below.
Short self-pity quotes about loathing
Check out these short and sweet self-pity quotes.
1. “Self-pity shortens your life.” — Joan Rivers
2. “Self-pity makes people callous.” — Mason Cooley
3. “Self-pity is the simplest luxury.” — Rita Mae Brown
4. “Self-pity comes so naturally to all of us.” — Andre Maurois
5. “Self-pity can make one weep, as can onions.” — Jerry Fodor
6. “Self-pity dries up our sympathy for others.” — Mason Cooley
7. “What poison is to food, self-pity is to life.” — Oliver C. Wilson
8. “Pity the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.” — Don Marquis
9. “The opposite of having faith is having self-pity.”— Os Guinness
10. “Self-pity is a sin. It is a form of living suicide.” — Charles J. Shields
The top self-pity quotes about wallowing in guilt
These quotes remind us of the destructive power of self-pity.
11. “Self-pity is very unattractive.” — Patty Duke
12. “I tell people to monitor their self-pity.” — Patty Duke
13. “Self-pity is the most destructive of all narcotics.” — Sebastian Horsley
14. “Self-pity is an acid which eats holes in happiness.” — Earl Nightingale
15. “Honesty is as rare as a man without self-pity.” — Stephen Vincent Benet
16. “This life is not for complaint, but for satisfaction.” — Henry David Thoreau
17. “Self-pity is a disease which does not kill but corrodes.” — Aidan Chambers
18. “Sympathy is never wasted except when you give it to yourself.” — John W. Raper
19. “Self-pity is never useful. It tends to distort like a fun-house mirror.” — Anne Roiphe
20. “If you’re not careful, you can fall into a destructive cycle of self-pity.” — Victoria Osteen
The best self-pity quotes about regret
These quotes remind us why regret fuels self-pity.
21. “It’s so easy to fall into the self-pity trap.” — Amy Morin
22. “People often use self-pity as a way to gain attention.” — Amy Morin
23. “Mistakes are a drag because you get in the area of regret and self-pity.” — Carrie Fisher
24. “Self-pity can consume you until it eventually changes your thoughts and behaviors.” — Amy Morin
25. “If you allow self-pity to take hold when you’re dealing with stress, you’ll put off working on a solution.” — Amy Morin
26. “It’s all right to sit on your pity pot every now and again. Just be sure to flush when you are finished.” ― Debbie Macomber
27. “Self-pity becomes your oxygen. But you learned to breathe it without a gasp. So, nobody even notices you’re hurting.” ― Paul Monette
28. “If self-pity is so destructive, why do we do it in the first place? And why is it sometimes so easy and even comforting to indulge in a pity party?” — Amy Morin
29. “Self-pity is easily the most destructive of the nonpharmaceutical narcotics; it is addictive, gives momentary pleasure, and separates the victim from reality.” — John Gardner
30. “Self-pity is easily the most destructive of the non-pharmaceutical narcotics; it is addictive, gives momentary pleasure, and separates the victim from reality.” ― John Gardner
Self-pity quotes and sayings from Amy Morin
Amy Morin is a clinical social worker and psychotherapist who wrote 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do.
31. “Self-pity can also provide a reason to avoid responsibility.” — Amy Morin
32. “Feeling sorry for yourself won’t move you any closer to a solution.” — Amy Morin
33. “Unfortunately, misery loves company, and sometimes self-pity becomes a bragging right.” — Amy Morin
34. “If five good things and one bad thing happen in a day, self-pity will cause you to focus only on the negative.” — Amy Morin
35. “Feeling sorry for yourself is self-destructive. It leads to new problems and can have serious consequences.” — Amy Morin
36. “A conversation can turn into a contest, with the person who has experienced the most trauma earning the badge of victory.” — Amy Morin
37. “To alleviate feelings of self-pity, you need to change your pitiful behavior and forbid yourself from indulging in pitiful thoughts.” — Amy Morin
38. “For people who fear rejection, self-pity can be an indirect way of gaining help by sharing a woe-is-me tale in hopes it will attract some assistance.” — Amy Morin
39. “Once you allow it to take hold, self-pity will ignite a flurry of other negative emotions. It can lead to anger, resentment, loneliness, and other feelings that fuel more negative thoughts.” — Amy Morin
40. “Sometimes self-pity becomes an act of defiance. It’s almost as if we assume that something will change if we dig in our heels and remind the universe that we deserve better. But that’s not how the world works.” — Amy Morin
Famous self-pity quotes from mentally strong people
Check out these self-pity quotes from those who learned to beat it.
41. “Gratitude is a dialysis of sorts. It flushes the self-pity out of our systems.” — Max Lucado
42. “Self-pity is spiritual suicide. It is an indefensible self-mutilation of the soul.” — Anthon Maarten
43. “If you keep a journal, refer to it and read it whenever self-pity begins to set in.” — Amy Morin
44. “Optimism and self-pity are the positive and negative poles of modern cowardice.” — Cyril Connolly
45. “But the day I can’t shrug off a twinge of self-pity is the day I’m washed up for keeps.” — Jonathan Lethem
46. “Self-pity is our worst enemy, and if we yield to it, we can never do anything wise in this world.” — Helen Keller
47. “Identity is not inherent. It is shaped by circumstance and sensitivity and resistance to self-pity.” — Dorothy West
48. “To feel sorry for oneself is one of the most disintegrating things the individual can do to himself.” — Winifred Rhoades
49. “Try to avoid complaints. Self-pity, even when legitimate, never fails to undermine your strength.” — Mariane Pearl
50. “Practically all the sadness we experience in life comes from our feeling sorry for ourselves.” — Marty Rubin
Do not let self-pity stop your growth
Self-pity is one of the biggest forms of self-sabotage we can do to prevent our evolution.
How do you avoid self-pity?
Please be sure to let us know in the comments below.
Share this list of self pity quotes with your friends and family.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Wisdom, happiness, enlightenment. You need to read these wise sayings ASAP!
Keeping a motivated mind requires food for thought, and these motivational one-liners are the perfect snack.
There are no small minds, only hurt or distracted ones.
These inspirational quotes about breaking your limits will help you answer a few questions that could change the course of your life!
Check out these related quote articles:
If you’ve found yourself terrified to move on, these letting go quotes will help tremendously.
You can learn how to bounce back like a boss after you’ve read these disappointment quotes.
If you’re in a hard place mentally, these powerful depression quotes might be exactly what you need to reignite your fire within.
Being optimistic has the power to move mountains. Are you ready to focus on positive thoughts?