If you are recovering from addiction, or know someone who is, then these sobriety quotes will help you draw some inspiration, know what to say to your loved ones, and some might even make you laugh.
Recovery is hard; being the loved one of an addict is also difficult, but hopefully, these words will make it just a little easier for you.
The first part of getting sober, or helping someone else be sober, is understanding what sobriety is.
Sobriety is defined as the state of not being intoxicated.
Sobriety typically refers to a person’s decision to abstain from substance use.
This decision often comes about because of an addiction that is negatively affecting their lives.
Do sobriety quotes actually help aid in addiction recovery?
Well, like everything else, they are just another tool you can use.
They aren’t a magical answer, but they can help motivate you, and help you realize you are not alone.
Grab a few Post-It notes and write some of your favorites down as you read through these sobriety quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out these recovery and addiction quotes to help you heal.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
Inspirational sobriety quotes
1. “Sobriety is wealth.” ― Petra Hermans
You will also enjoy our article on alcohol quotes.
2. “Getting sober is a radically creative act.” ― Meredith Bell, A Sober Year: Daily Musings on an Alcohol-Free Life
You will also enjoy our article on quotes on addiction.
3. “Recovery is an acceptance that your life is in shambles, and you have to change it.” — James Lee Curtis
4. “There are women succeeding beyond their wildest dreams because of their sobriety.” ― Mary Karr
5. “… being sober delivered almost everything drinking promised.” ― Anne Lamott, Hallelujah Anyway: Rediscovering Mercy
6. “We must desperately desire recovery with the same passion with which we pursue drugs.” — Mary Cook
7. “Your addiction is not your identity, but you won’t know that until you’re in recovery; that’s when the two separate.” ― Toni Sorenson
8. “The initial journey towards sobriety is a delicate balance between insight into one’s desire for escape and abstinence from one’s addiction.” ― Debra L. Kaplan
9. “Think of recovery as Double D’s: deciding and doing. Deciding to recover is only a mindset. Doing the recovery is the real miracle.” ― Toni Sorenson
10. “Somebody once asked me how I define sobriety, and my response was ‘liberation from dependence’.” — Leslie Jamison, The Gin Closet
You will also enjoy our article on drug quotes.
Helpful sobriety quotes for friends and loved ones
11. “When you enable the addict, you nourish the disease.” ― Toni Sorenson
12. “A compassionate approach leads to less addiction.” ― Johann Hari
13. “Your best days are ahead of you. The movie starts when the guy gets sober and puts his life back together; it doesn’t end there.” ― Bucky Sinister
14. “In my experience, and in the experience of most people I have talked with, the family’s recovery often coincides with or precedes the recovery of the addicted individual.” — Beverly Conyers
15. “When I got sober, I thought giving up was saying goodbye to all the fun and all the sparkle, and it turned out to be just the opposite. That’s when the sparkle started for me.” — Mary Karr
16. “Above anything else—above family or job—the main thing is staying sober. That’s because without being sober, I don’t have a family or a job.” — William Regal
17. “We’re all looking at the people around us, the people who have gone before us who have succeeded in recovery and have long-term sobriety and they are an illustration for us of how good it can be.” — Scott Stevens
18. “You need to be bold enough and strong enough to let your loved one’s recovery unfold or not unfold as it is meant to, not as you want it to.” — Carole Bennett
19. “With boundaries, it comes down to this, that you don’t support the illness, you support recovery.” — Christopher Kennedy Lawford
20. “Recovery is an ongoing process, for both the addict and his or her family. In recovery there is hope. And hope is a wonderful thing.” — Dean Dauphinais
Funny sobriety quotes
21. “Quitting smoking is easy. I’ve done it a hundred times.” — Mark Twain
22. “There is nothing wrong with sobriety in moderation.” ― John Ciardi
23. “Better to sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunk Christian.” ― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick or, the Whale
24. “They say getting sober in AA is simple, but not easy. Just like winning the lottery, I guess.” ― Dmitry Dyatlov
25. “Kid, sobriety’s like a hard-on; the minute you get it, you want to f*** with it.” ― David Foster Wallace
26. “Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.” ― Ernest Hemingway
27. “I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.” ― Winston Churchill
28. “I was glad to be sober, but after ninety days, people weren’t patting me on the back anymore, sayin’, ‘Good job on the sobriety! Go get ’em!’” ― Chris Farley
29. “I think sober is the new black. That’s the cool thing now. I’m trying to make it the cool thing.” ― Ronnie Radke
30. “Being sober on a bus is, like, totally different than being drunk on a bus.” ― Ozzy Osbourne
Sobriety quotes from celebrities
31. “Sobriety was the best gift I ever gave myself.” — Rob Lowe
32. “Not drinking makes me a lot happier.” ― Naomi Campbell
33. “Sometimes you can only find heaven by slowly backing away from hell.” — Carrie Fisher
34. “The thing is, if I don’t have sobriety, I don’t have anything.” ― Matthew Perry
35. “Ya think that the whiskey tastes good? Try a big cup of sobriety—now that is the good stuff!” ― Steven Tyler
36. “Recovery is something you have to work on every single day, and it’s something that doesn’t get a day off.” — Demi Lovato
37. “I have other obligations now—the show, my family, my life… though I know that without my sobriety I wouldn’t have any of those things.” ― Rob Lowe
38. “Getting sober just exploded my life. Now I have a much clearer sense of myself and what I can and can’t do. I am more successful than I have ever been.” ― Jamie Lee Curtis
39. “Don’t pick up a drink or drug, one day at a time. It sounds so simple. It actually is simple, but it isn’t easy—it requires incredible support and fastidious structuring.” ― Russell Brand
40. “I believe this: We have only today; yesterday’s gone and tomorrow is uncertain. That’s why they call it the present. And sobriety is a gift… for those who are willing to receive it.” ― Ace Frehley, No Regrets: A Rock ‘n’ Roll Memoir
Anonymous sobriety quotes and sayings
41. “If you like everyone in AA, you’re not going to enough meetings!” — Unknown
42. “It’s a beautiful day to be sober.” — Unknown
43. “An alcoholic without a sponsor is like leaving Dracula in charge of the blood bank.” — Unknown
44. “Recovery is about progression, not perfection.” — Unknown
45. “Most alcoholics would rather die than learn anything about themselves. In fact, they do.” — Unknown
46. “I didn’t even know I was addicted until I tried to stop.” — Unknown
47. “Waking up clean and sober is the first gift of every day.” — Unknown
48. “Recovery didn’t open the gates of heaven and let me in. Recovery opened the gates of hell and let me out.” — Unknown
49. “The goal isn’t to be sober. The goal is to love yourself so much that you don’t have to drink.” — Unknown
50. “You don’t get over an addiction by stopping using. You recover by creating a new life where it is easier to not use. If you don’t create a new life, then all the factors that brought you to your addiction will catch up with you again.” — Unknown
Sobriety quotes to guide you through recovery
51. “Strength of mind rests in sobriety; for this keeps your reason unclouded by passion.” — Pythagoras
52. “Sobriety was the greatest gift I ever gave myself.” — Rob Lowe
53. “Change happens when the pain of holding on becomes greater than the fear of letting go.” — Spencer Johnson
54. “You know, a lot of people feel that sobriety is about just stopping using whatever it was that you appeared to be addicted to, but it really has to do with a way of looking at your life and taking accountability.” — Bonnie Raitt
55. “There is no better high than discovery.” ― E. O. Wilson
56. “My mind may be sober, but my confidence is high!” ― Habeeb Akande
57. “Drunkards have a problem, not with sobriety, but with reality.” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
58. “We don’t choose to become addicts but we do let addition choose us.” ― Toni Sorenson
59. “The road to sobriety is not easy and rehabilitation and the recovery process are not to be taken lightly.” — Drew Pinsky
60. I can’t emphasize enough how grateful I am to have come upon sobriety. — Naveen Andrews
Sobriety Quotes To Encourage Addicts Through The Recovery Journey.
61. “I’ve never met an alcoholic in recovery who doesn’t believe that this is the best thing they have ever done.” – Adam Clayton
62. “My identity shifted when I got into recovery. That’s who I am now, and it actually gives me greater pleasure to have that identity than to be a musician or anything else, because it keeps me in a manageable size . . . It gives me a spiritual anchor.” – Eric Clapton
63. “To sober up seems to many like making life “so serious,” as if seriousness precluded joy, warmth, spontaneity, and fun. But there can be a delusional, blind quality to non-sober festivities. To have our eyes open soberly with all our senses and memory intact allows some of the most rewarding, soul-nourishing, and long-lasting pleasures possible.” – Alexandra Katehakis
64. “Addiction isn’t about substance – you aren’t addicted to the substance, you are addicted to the alteration of mood that the substance brings.” – Susan Cheever
65. “All the mistakes I’ve ever made in my life have been when I’ve been drunk. I haven’t made hardly any mistakes sober, ever.” — Tracey Emin
66. “I guess the worst day I have had was when I had to stand up in rehab in front of my wife and daughter and say, ‘Hi, my name is Sam, and I am an addict.” — Samuel J. Jackson
67. “I got sober. I stopped killing myself with alcohol. I began to think: ‘Wait a minute – if I can stop doing this, what are the possibilities?’ And slowly it dawned on me that it was maybe worth the risk.” ― Craig Ferguson
68. “If it wasn’t for that rehab center, I probably wouldn’t have been here. In terms of recovery, it has been very important for me to be a part of a recovery community, to actively be around my people because they understand me. They get it.” – Macklemore
69. “I understood, through rehab, things about creating characters. I understood that creating whole people means knowing where we come from, how we can make a mistake, and how we overcome things to make ourselves stronger.” – Samuel L. Jackson
70. “Nobody stays recovered unless the life they have created is more rewarding and satisfying than the one they left behind.” – Anne Fletcher
Importance Of Sobriety Quotes To Make Positive Progress
71. “Sobriety itself is today’s high, for it is ultimately in the most centered consciousness that we find our power to transcend the world.” ― Marianne Williamson
72. “My goal is to make something special and pure, and that keeps me going, keeps me busy on the path of sobriety.” ― Ariel Pink
73. “It goes without saying that moderation and sobriety are of the very essence of vow-taking.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
74. “Modesty and humility are the sobriety of the mind, as temperance and chastity are of the body.” ― Benjamin Whichcote
75. “In my life, I find that in sobriety, I feel much more. And I have much more depth.” ― Jeffrey Tambor
76. ”Moderation is like sobriety: you would like to have some more, but are afraid of making yourself ill.” ― Francois de La Rochefoucauld
77. “One thing I learned in sobriety is to stop being judgmental, to always be discerning. When I drive, that will be my bumper sticker.” ― Kevin Sessums
78. “Sobriety and health is the greatest thing.” ― Jeff Bridges
79. “I’m pretty confident about my sobriety, but I don’t want to get too confident because that’s when I’ll crash.” ― Mary Docter
80. “Sobriety is concern for one’s health – or limited capacity.” ― Francois de La Rochefoucauld
Sobriety Quotes To Run Your Life Smoothly
81. “The economic advantages of sobriety have never been doubtful.” ― Ida Tarbell
82. “Work is my hobby, staying sober is my job.” ― Christian Slater
83. “There is no question that sobriety has made me a better actor, made me a better person.” ― Edie Falco
84. “There is a road to freedom. Its milestones are obedience, endeavour, honesty, order, cleanliness, sobriety, truthfulness, sacrifice, and love of the fatherland.” ― Adolf Hitler
85. “I’ve been sober now for a couple of years and I’m taking my sobriety very seriously – one day at a time and I am moving forward in my career.” ― Daniel Baldwin
86. “Education gives sobriety to the young, comfort to the old, riches to the poor and is an ornament to the rich.” ― Diogenes
87. “Make sobriety a habit, and intemperance will be hateful; make prudence a habit, and reckless profligacy will be as contrary to the nature of the child, grown or adult, as the most atrocious crimes, are to any of us.” ― Henry Brougham
88. “All the sobriety which’ religion needs or requires is that which real earnestness produces.” ― Henry Ward Beecher
89. “Employment gives health, sobriety, and morals.” ― Daniel Webster
90. “Perfect reason flees all extremity, and leads one to be wise with sobriety.” ― Moliere
Sobriety Quotes To Give You Confidence
91. “I think your resources are feeling. Your resources are depth. Your resources are learning. Your resources are touching and feeling. And for me, sobriety helps and aids all of that.” ― Jeffrey Tambor
92. “The experienced pastor will recognize to which situation humor belongs and to which belongs sobriety.” ― Thomas Oden
93. “I’ve always believed clear-eyed sobriety was for the harder hearted.” ― Gillian Flynn
94. “Sobriety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes. Not through mere perversity do men run after it.” ― William James
95. “I’m making plans to go away for a month to focus on my sobriety and to continue my life in recovery. Please enjoy making fun of me on the world wide web.” ― Matthew Perry
96. “I think it’s important for me to show the world that sobriety hasn’t made me soft. I’m on a mission to prove I’m still a nutcase.” ― Steve-O
97. “Sobriety is love of health, or inability to eat much.” ― Francois de La Rochefoucauld
98. “It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety.” ― Thomas de Quincey
99. “What marriage is to morality, a properly conducted licensed liquor traffic is to sobriety.” ― Mark Twain
100. “First, Resolve upon, and daily endeavour to practise, a life of seriousness and strict sobriety.” ― David Brainerd
The path to sobriety is challenging
You will feel things like worry, struggle, boredom, anger, and even grief on your journey to recovery.
Conversely, there will be moments and periods of joy, contentment, relief, and gratitude.
These sobriety quotes will help you realize what an exquisite thing sobriety is.
It is a feat to be celebrated and an accomplishment that you should be proud of.
You might need a little encouragement for the moments that make you question if it is all worth it.
Having trusted friends or family, sponsors, or mental health professionals in your toolbox will be a big help.
Remember that boundaries are essential, though.
Just because someone is a member of your family does not automatically make them part of your support system.
You can check out these toxic relationships quotes if that is something that is contributing to your struggle with sobriety.
Did these motivational sobriety quotes help you reframe your thoughts?
Were you able to find something you could use to help support a loved one?
Let us know in the comment section below.
Also, if you are struggling with addiction right now, you can reach out to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.