Whether you are moving on from a past relationship or moving to a new state, moving on is the start of a new beginning in your life. As the moving quotes below will show you, this brand new chapter will provide many opportunities for you to grow and evolve.
What do you want to move on from?
Many of us hold onto the past because it keeps us comfortable. Letting go of the past means stepping out into the unknown, which scares many people. But, the truth is, holding onto the past is only holding you back. Now is the time to let it go, and move forward.
Check out the inspirational moving quotes below to motivate you to take that first step. And after you’re done, be sure to also check out our compilation of letting go quotes.
Moving Quotes about the power of change
1. “Change is a great and horrible thing, and people love it or hate it at the same time. Without change, however, you just don’t move.” – Marc Jacobs
2. “The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.” – Albert Einstein
3. “The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude.” – Oprah Winfrey
4. “Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change.” – Confucius
5. “Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.” – Stephen Hawking
6. “Love change, fear staying the same.” – Maxime Lagacé
7. “To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.” – Winston Churchill
8. “Life will only change when you become more committed to your dreams than you are to your comfort zone.” – Billy Cox
9. “Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” – Leo Tolstoy
10. “In any given moment we have two options: to step forward into growth or step back into safety.” – Abraham Maslow
11. “The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.” – Alan Watts
12. “One doesn’t discover new lands without consenting to lose sight, for a very long time, of the shore.” – Andre Gide
13. “Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.” – Rosa Luxemburg
14. “Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties.” – Erich Fromm
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these break up quotes that will help you overcome the pain of separation.
Quotes about moving and letting go of the past
15. “Anything you can’t control is teaching you how to let go.” – Jackson Kiddard
16. “You really don’t have to burn any bridges to let go. You don’t have to destroy anything. You can just decide to cross over and move on.” – Marta Mrotek
17. “I realize there’s something incredibly honest about trees in winter, how they’re experts at letting things go.” – Jeffrey McDaniel
18. “Moving on doesn’t mean you forget about things, it just means you have to accept what happened and continue living.” – Erza Scarlet
19. “Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over.” – Guy Finley
20. “Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don’t.” – Steve Maraboli
21. “Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.” – Ann Lander
22. “To let go does not mean to get rid of. To let go means to let be. When we let be with compassion, things come and go on their own.” – Jack Kornfield
23. “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” – Lao Tzu
24. “I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” – Carl Jung
25. “The greatest step towards a life of simplicity is to learn to let go.” – Steve Maraboli
Don’t forget to also check out our list of the best misery loves company quotes to help you move forward.
Moving quotes to help you make progress
26. “Inner peace can be reached only when we practice forgiveness. Forgiveness is letting go of the past, and is, therefore, the means for correcting our misperceptions.” – Gerald G. Jampolsky
27. “Your past does not equal your future.” – Anthony Robbins
28. “You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present.” – Jan Glidewell
29. “Keeping baggage from the past will leave no room for happiness in the future.” – Wayne L. Misner
30. “You can’t expect to move forward if your emergency brake is on.” – Angela Cecilia
31. “You don’t need strength to let go of something. What you really need is understanding.” – Guy Finley
You might also like these quotes on life lessons to help you move on.
32. It is by giving the freedom to the other, that is by letting go, we gain our own freedom back.” – Aleksandra Ninkovic
33. “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” – Oprah Winfrey
34. “If you want to fly on the sky, you need to leave the earth. If you want to move forward, you need to let go the past that drags you down.” – Amit Ray
35. “Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.” – Raymond Lindquist
36. “Rehashing the past wouldn’t change anything. Time to move forward.” – Zena Wynn
If you’re enjoying this article, make sure to also check out our collection of quotes about new beginnings and starting fresh.
Quotes about moving on after getting hurt
37. “Forget what hurt you but never forget what it taught you.”– Shannon L. Alder
38. “Let go. Why do you cling to pain? There is nothing you can do about the wrongs of yesterday. It is not yours to judge. Why hold on to the very thing which keeps you from hope and love?” – Leo Buscaglia
39. “Pain will leave you when you let go.” – Jeremy Aldana
40. “You can only lose what you cling to.” – Buddha
41. “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.” – Steve Maraboli
42. “Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got.” – Robert Brault
43. “Take all the time, you need to heal emotionally. Moving on doesn’t take a day; it takes lots of little steps to be able to break free of your broken self.”– Tere Arigo
44. “Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake & help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for.” – Mandy Hale
45. “Time doesn’t heal emotional pain, you need to learn how to let go.” – Roy Bennett
46. “At some point, you gotta let go, and sit still, and allow contentment to come to you.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
47. “If you truly want to be respected by people you love, you must prove to them that you can survive without them.” – Shannon L. Alder
You might also like these encouraging quotes to help keep you going.
Quotes about moving away
48. “Painful though parting is, I bow to you as I see you off to distant clouds.” – Emperor Saga
49. “If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet.” – Rachel Wolchin
50. “If your world doesn’t allow you to dream, move to one where you can.” – Billy Idol
51. “Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answer.” – Denis Waitley
52. “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
53. “Stay focused, go after your dreams and keep moving toward your goals.” – LL Cool J
54. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
55. “The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we stand as in what direction we are moving.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
You might also like these inspirational sunflower quotes that are filled with life lessons.
56. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius
57. “Life is about how much you can take and keep fighting, how much you can suffer and keep moving forward.” – Anderson Silva
58. “I think change is always a good thing. Change keeps things moving.” – Luke Mitchell
59. “There’s no time for regrets. You’ve just got to keep moving forward.” – Mike McCready
60. “To me, if life boils down to one thing, it’s movement. To live is to keep moving.” – Jerry Seinfeld
Keep moving quotes to inspire change
61. “You don’t have to have it all figured out to move forward.” ― Roy T. Bennett
62. “If you walked away from a toxic, negative, abusive, one-sided, dead-end low vibrational relationship or friendship — you won.” ― Lalah Delia
63. “There’s only one place I want to go and it’s to all the places I’ve never been.” ― Nikki rowe
64. “Because if you take a risk, you just might find what you’re looking for.” ― Susane Colasanti
65. “Change has to come for life to struggle forward.” ― Helen Hollick
66. “I can’t take back the past, but I can fight for the future.” ― Shannon A. Thompson
67. “Don’t waste time thinking about them. If they walked away from your love, they don’t deserve your pain.” ― C.L. Brown
68. “The only thing a person can ever really do is keep moving forward. Take that big leap forward without hesitation, without once looking back. Simply forget the past and forge toward the future.” ― Alyson Noel
69. “If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself” — Henry Ford
70. “You are always a student, never a master. You have to keep moving forward” — Conrad Hall
Moving Quotes To Remember When You Have To Let Go.
71. “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” – Deborah Reber
72. “You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.” – C. JoyBell
73. “Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny.” – Steve Maraboli
74. “Sometimes you have to move on without certain people. If they’re meant to be in your life, they’ll catch up.” – Mandy Hale
75. “Keep on beginning and failing. Each time you fail, start all over again, and you will grow stronger until you have accomplished a purpose – not the one you began with perhaps, but one you’ll be glad to remember.” – Anne Sullivan
76. “Moving on is easy. It’s staying moved on that’s trickier.” – Katerina Stoykova Klemer
77. “People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
78. “We can not become what we need to by remaining what we are.” – Oprah Winfrey
79. “When you start to abandon your old beliefs or values – you may be stuck at the threshold for two or three years. Before moving on, you have to clear away your cherished beliefs.” – Dick Raymond
80. “People can be more forgiving than you can imagine. But you have to forgive yourself. Let go of what’s bitter and move on.” – Bill Cosby
Have you seen these inspirational new beginning quotes about starting afresh?
Are you holding onto something you need to let go?
No matter what you are moving towards, the above quotes can motivate you to move on to life’s next adventure.
Moving on doesn’t have to mean making a large change within your life. Each small step you make is a progression towards a larger goal. Making those small changes is often the motivation that a person needs to remain consistent.
Moving on can be difficult, but it is necessary for growth. We are all trying to move on from something. Today, give yourself permission to take the first step towards moving forward. Your future self will thank you.
Did these powerful moving quotes inspire you to keep going? Let us know your favorite in the comments section below.
May 2, 2022 6:00 AM EST