Read through these insightful anchor quotes and scroll to the bottom and share which quote was your favorite.
You might have heard someone refer to someone or something as their “anchor.” What does it mean to have a life anchor?
Well, it usually means a person or feeling one uses to keep his or herself grounded. It’s the thing that helps them stay calm when things are turbulent.
An actual anchor is an old nautical symbol that represents stability, strength, and support. These anchor quotes do a great job illustrating how they represent hope, life, and provide inspiration.
There are many references to the bible and God in these anchor quotes for those who are looking for a deeper spiritual meaning.
If you want a fun anchor quote for your Instagram post or even tattoo ideas, then some of these lighter and funny quotes are perfect!
Keep reading through these anchor quotes for the practical use of an anchor on a ship to better understand the reason people use the reference so much when times are tough.
Anchor quotes about life and hope
1. “Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.” ― Epictetus
2. “Have an anchor so that life doesn’t toss you around.” ― Debby Ryan
3. “We can endure almost anything if we are centered if we have some focus in our life. You can endure if you have an anchor.” ― Renita J. Weems.
4. “Hope is the anchor of life.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
5. “Without an anchor, we can be drifted to any shore. May you find hope as an anchor.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
6. “Hope holds you fast like an anchor, so you don’t give way.” ― Philip Pullman
7. “Hope is the anchor of our souls. I know of no one who is not in need of hope – young or old, strong or weak, rich or poor.” ― James E. Faust
8. “To lose our connection with the body is to become spiritually homeless. Without an anchor we float aimlessly, battered by the winds and waves of life.” ― Anodea Judith
9. “What an anchor is to a ship, hope is to the soul. Both ships and souls are kept safe by a firm, secure anchor that keeps holding despite turbulent winds and churning tides.” ― June Hunt
10. “Ultimate hope constitutes the anchor of the soul.” ― Neal A. Maxwell
Anchor quotes for tattoos and Instagram
11. “Who tries to sink me is already below me.” — Unknown
12. “Rough seas cannot make me waver.” — Unknown
13. “Life’s roughest storms prove the strength of our anchors.” — Unknown
14. “Your love is an anchor in my life.” — Unknown
15. “The anchor holds on despite the storm.” — Unknown
16. “Love anchors the soul.” — Unknown
17. “You are my anchor when the waves come crashing down.” — Unknown
18. “Hope anchors the soul.” — Unknown
19. “Be your own anchor.” — Unknown
Anchor quotes about love
20. “I’ll keep your heart anchored in my soul for as long as we both shall live.” ― Brandi Fitzgerald
21. “All you need is one safe anchor to keep you grounded when the rest of your life spins out of control.” ― Katie Kacvinsky
22. “A faithful companion is a sure anchor.” ― Motto
23. “Unless man anchors real love; man will always drift in the middle of nowhere!” ― Mehmet Murat Ildan.
24. “Let your heart be the anchor and the beat of your song.” ― Neil Peart
25. “Home should be an anchor, a port in a storm, a refuge, a happy place in which to dwell, a place where we are loved and where we can love.” ― Martin J. Ashton
26. “The heart is the anchor to all things, be it love to hate, or light to dark.” ― TA Cline
27. “Your love keeps me afloat but will remain the anchor in my soul… I don’t really have words to describe how romantic I find that. Your love is what keeps me going, but it’s also the anchor that keeps me close to you.” ― Rabindranath Tagore
28. “Love is an anchor, it stops you from drifting away.” ― Robert Corbert
Anchor quotes about God and from bible verses
29. “Cast your cares on God; that anchor holds.” ― Frank Moore Colby
30. “Women and God are the two rocks on which a man must either anchor or be wrecked.” ― Frederick W. Robertson
31. “A life without God is like a boat without an anchor.” ― Billy Graham
32. “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.” ― Hebrews 6:19
33. “Fearing that we might run aground somewhere on the rocks, they cast four anchors from the stern and wished for daybreak.” ― Acts 27:29
34. “Instead of drifting away from God, you’ll be firmly anchored, able to swim against the tide, offering living water to all you meet.” ― Craig Groeschel
35. “Christ is the anchor of my life.” ― Ryan Tannehill
36. “The promises of God for tomorrow are the anchor for believers today.” ― R. C. Sproul
37. “Have Jesus always for your patron, His Cross for a mast on which you must spread your resolutions as a sail. Your anchor shall be a profound confidence in Him, and you shall sail prosperously.” ― Saint Francis de Sales
38. “Everyone has their own boat, it’s a matter of pulling it out of the sand, and putting it in the water. But further, you can anchor the boat in fear when the storms rage, and go nowhere, let it drift aimlessly on its own or you can let God be the navigator and guide you on a journey in a way that is right for you.” ― Anthony Liccione
Inspirational anchor quotes
39. “Allow yourself to be an anchor and anchored by others.” ― Asa Don Brown
40. “To reach a port we must sail, sometimes with the wind, and sometimes against it. But we must not drift or lie at anchor.” ― Oliver Wendell Holmes
41. “Better lose the anchor than the whole ship.” ― Dutch Proverb
42. “It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” ― John Kenneth Galbraith
43. “Being unhappy is a part of life; no big deal! continue your life because neither unhappiness nor happiness drop anchor in your life!” ― Mehmet Murat Ildan
44. “Once you find your anchor, never let go of it. No matter what.” ― John Marrs
45. “Let us not remain anchored in the quicksand of a waning past, and lose the war on obliviousness, but let us listen to the bracing sounds of new horizons, grasp the enchantment of the fleeting instants and seize the cleverness of the moment.” ― Erik Pevernagie
46. “Learn to forgive yourself. Guilt is the biggest anchor that pulls us and delays our growth and transformation.” ― Purvi Raniga
47. “Be aware of what you anchor your happiness to. Is it internal or external? How vulnerable is your happiness?” — Akiroq Brost
48. “The past is an anchor with suffering written on the rope. I don’t live there now. I am cutting myself free.” — Mark Millar
49. “Work is an anchor; it prevents the undisciplined minds drifting to the past. It keeps them in the present time.” — Unknown
50. “A good heavy book holds you down. It’s an anchor that keeps you from getting up and having another gin and tonic.” — Roy Blount
Anchor Quotes To Uplift Your Hope and Give You Strength
51. “Being an anchor is not just a matter of sitting in front of a camera and looking pretty.” — David Brinkley
52. “In order to realize the worth of the anchor we need to feel the stress of the storm.” — Corrie Ten Boom
53. “Life has a way of testing our anchors and tempting us to drift. Nevertheless, if our anchors are correctly placed in the rock of our Redeemer, they will hold—no matter the force of the wind, the strength of the tide, or the height of the waves.” — Dieter F. Uchtdorf
54. “Hope gives the heart wings; the soul, an anchor.” — Janet Todd
55. “Trust means you anchor your heart in the reality of God’s awareness of your situation.” — James MacDonald
56. “If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One’s destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things.” — Henry Miller
57. “Amidst the confusion of the times, the conflicts of conscience, and the turmoil of daily living, an abiding faith becomes an anchor to our lives.” — Thomas S. Monson
58. “Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” — Nhat Hanh
59. “Hope is called the anchor of the soul because it gives stability to the Christian life.” — R. C. Sproul
60. If you have the Shepherd, you have grace for every sin, direction for every turn, a candle for every corner, and an anchor for every storm. You have everything you need.” — Max Lucado
Anchor Quotes To Help You Find Strength
61. “We ought neither to fasten our ship to one small anchor nor our life to a single hope.” — Epictetus
62. “People are looking for stability in a shaky world. They want something they can get hold of that’s firm and sure and an anchor in the midst of all of this instability in which they’re living.” —
Gordon B. Hinckley
63. “The anchor holds in spite of the storm.” — Ray Boltz
64.“You be the anchor that keeps my feet on the ground; I’ll be the wings that keep your heart in the clouds.” ― Mayday Parade
65. “Don’t bring an anchor, on a sinking boat” — Anthony Liccione
66. “You can anchor the mind into answering a question a certain way by giving them a totally unrelated piece of information dropped before.” — Michael Lewis
67. “It is best to moor your bark with two anchors.” — Publilius Syrus
68. “The anchors now made are contrived so as to sink into the ground as soon as they reach it, and to hold a great strain before they can be loosened or dislodged from their station.” — William Falconer
69. “Unless man anchors real life, man will always drift in the middle of nowhere!” — Mehmet Murat ildan
70. “The anchor in our world today is freedom, holding us steady in times of change, a symbol of hope to all the world.” — George H. W. Bush
An anchor on a ship or boat is used to keep the vessel from drifting away, despite the current or wind conditions. It fixes the vessel to a certain position. It’s easy to see how this can be a great way to describe life, but it isn’t just the nautical terminology of an anchor that can apply to life.
In photography, anchoring the foreground can help you keep your pictures from looking lifeless and boring. Certain lenses can create distance from the background, so the eye needs something closer to engage it. Thinking of an anchor as a focal point can be a helpful way to understand why this term is so prevalent when speaking about life. What is your eye focused on? The small, yet important details in front of you, or the whole picture.
Of course, seeing the big picture is important but focusing on the steps you need to take can help you reach your goals. We can all use a little help to stay grounded and steady on the course in front of us.
What anchors you? Do you have a favorite anchor quote that didn’t make the list? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.
May 10, 2022 6:00 PM EST