Resurrection Quotes To Help Rejuvenate Your Spirit
November 16, 2022 3:54 AM EST
These resurrection quotes from the bible, or about the Gospel, explain the role of resurrection on faith.
Resurrection is a term that has religious and biblical implications that are central to Christian beliefs.
Tell us which resurrection quotes resonated most with you in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these resurrection quotes?
Theological writers like C. S. Lewis and R. C. Sproul have written several works that revolve around the theme of resurrection, as noted in some of these quotes.
Sure, resurrection is a common religious theme when discussing Christ and Easter, but what does the term actually mean?
What are some other words for ‘resurrection’ that a nonreligious person might use to convey a powerful transition in their lives?
Resurrection means ‘the action or fact of resurrecting or being resurrected; restoring life.”
In Christian terms, this refers to Jesus’ death on the cross and his rising from the tomb.
Other words or phrases that are synonymous with resurrection and symbolize starting over are:
- rising from the ashes
The idea of resurrection fascinates humans so much that it also has a noteworthy pop culture impact.
Keep reading through these resurrection quotes for a little inspiration if life has you feeling like it might be time for a new dawn.
Don’t forget to check out these religious quotes to bring you inner peace.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Check out more inspirational quotes on our motivational quotes category page.
Best resurrection quotes from C. S. Lewis and R. C. Sproul
1. “To preach Christianity meant (to the Apostles) primarily to preach the Resurrection… The Resurrection is the central theme in every Christian sermon reported in the Acts. The Resurrection, and its consequences, were the ‘gospel’ or good news which the Christians brought.” ― C. S. Lewis, (Miracles, ch. 16)
You will also enjoy our article on God’s plan quotes.
2. “Keep back nothing. Nothing that you have not given away will ever be really yours. Nothing in you that has not died will ever be raised from the dead. Look for yourself, and you will find in the long run only hatred, loneliness, despair, rage, ruin, and decay. But look for Christ and you will find Him, and with Him, everything else thrown in.” ― C. S. Lewis, (Mere Christianity, very last paragraph)
You will also enjoy our article on Christian quotes.
3. “If the truth is that after death there comes a negatively spiritual life, an eternity of mystical experience, what more misleading way of communicating it could possibly be found than the appearance of a human form which eats broiled fish?” ― C. S. Lewis, (Miracles, ch. 16)
4. “The New Testament writers speak as if Christ’s achievement in rising from the dead was the first event of its kind in the whole history of the universe. He is the ‘first fruits,’ the pioneer of life,’ He has forced open a door that has been locked since the death of the first man. He has met, fought, and beaten the King of Death. Everything is different because He has done so.” ― C. S. Lewis, (Miracles, ch. 16)
5. “A Christian is not a skeptic. A Christian is a person with a burning heart, a heart set aflame with certainty of the resurrection.” ― R. C. Sproul
6. “The resurrection was God the Father’s way of authenticating all of the truths that were declared by Jesus.” ― R. C. Sproul
7. “By His life, death, and resurrection, our Savior has conquered our enemies, and by His Spirit, He has granted us to share in the victory.” ― R. C. Sproul
Resurrection quotes from the bible or about the Gospel
8. “Outside of the cross of Jesus Christ, there is no hope in this world. That cross and resurrection at the core of the Gospel is the only hope for humanity. Wherever you go, ask God for wisdom on how to get that Gospel in, even in the toughest situations of life.” ― Ravi Zacharias
9. “The best news of the Christian gospel is that the supremely glorious Creator of the universe has acted in Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection to remove every obstacle between us and himself so that we may find everlasting joy in seeing and savoring his infinite beauty.” ― John Piper
10. “The symbolic language of the crucifixion is the death of the old paradigm; resurrection is a leap into a whole new way of thinking.” ― Deepak Chopra
11. “One of the earliest resurrection scenes in the Bible is that of Thomas demanding evidence – he wanted to see, to touch, to prove. Those who question and probe and debate are heirs of the apostles just as much as the most fervent of believers.” ― Jon Meacham
12. “The whole essence of the Christian religion is based on the atonement of Christ, his death and his resurrection.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley
13. “For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.” ― 1 Thessalonians 4:14
14. “For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.” ― 2 Corinthians 5:14-15
15. “For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man.” ― 1 Corinthians 15:21
16. “I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death.” ― Philippians 3:10
17. “Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.” ― Revelation 20:6
18. “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy, he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.” ― 1 Peter 1:3
19. “I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.” ― John 11:25-26
Philosophical resurrection quotes that make it seem so beautiful
20. “Nations, like stars, are entitled to eclipse. All is well, provided the light returns and the eclipse does not become endless night. Dawn and resurrection are synonymous. The reappearance of the light is the same as the survival of the soul.” ― Victor Hugo
21. “It is often when night looks darkest; it is often before the fever breaks that one senses the gathering momentum for change when one feels that resurrection of hope in the midst of despair and apathy.” ― Hillary Clinton
22. “Every parting gives a foretaste of death, every reunion a hint of the resurrection.” ― Arthur Schopenhauer
23. “The apathy of the people is enough to make every statue leap from its pedestal and hasten the resurrection of the dead.” ― William Lloyd Garrison
24. “In spring, the dead trees, roots, and animals come to life again exactly as they were, thus providing hundreds of thousands of examples, specimens, and proofs of the supreme resurrection.” ― Said Nursi
25. “Our brains are seventy-year clocks. The Angel of Life winds them up once for all, then closes the case, and gives the key into the hand of the Angel of the Resurrection.” ― Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
26. “The whole point of the Resurrection stories – and the Resurrection itself – is that we don’t recognize Jesus when he comes back to us.” ― Jay Parini
27. “Every spiritual tradition has this idea of death and resurrection. It’s not unique to Christianity.” ― Deepak Chopra
28. “A bridge of silver wings stretches from the dead ashes of an unforgiving nightmare to the jeweled vision of a life started anew.” ― Aberjhan
29. “Hearts rebuilt from hope resurrect dreams killed by hate.” ― Aberjhani
Resurrection quotes from N. T. Wright
30. “Jesus’s resurrection is the beginning of God’s new project not to snatch people away from earth to heaven but to colonize earth with the life of heaven. That, after all, is what the Lord’s Prayer is about.” ― N. T. Wright
31.“The point of the resurrection… is that the present bodily life is not valueless just because it will die… What you do with your body in the present matters because God has a great future in store for it… What you do in the present—by painting, preaching, singing, sewing, praying, teaching, building hospitals, digging wells, campaigning for justice, writing poems, caring for the needy, loving your neighbor as yourself—will last into God’s future.” ― N. T. Wright
32. “When we learn to read the story of Jesus and see it as the story of the love of God, doing for us what we could not do for ourselves—that insight produces, again and again, a sense of astonished gratitude which is very near the heart of authentic Christian experience.” ― N.T. Wright
33. “The resurrection completes the inauguration of God’s kingdom… It is the decisive event demonstrating that God’s kingdom really has been launched on earth as it is in heaven.”
34. “The work of salvation, in its full sense, is (1) about whole human beings, not merely souls; (2) about the present, not simply the future; and (3) about what God does through us, not merely what God does in and for us.” ― N.T. Wright
35. “What we have at the moment isn’t as the old liturgies used to say, ‘the sure and certain hope of the resurrection of the dead,’ but a vague and fuzzy optimism that somehow things may work out in the end. ” ― N. T. Wright
36. “God’s plan is not to abandon this world, the world which he said was ‘very good.’ Rather, he intends to remake it. And when he does, he will raise all his people to new bodily life to live in it. That is the promise of the Christian gospel.” ― N. T. Wright
37. “Salvation, then, is not ‘going to heaven’ but ‘being raised to life in God’s new heaven and new earth.’ But as soon as we put it like this we realize that the New Testament is full of hints, indications, and downright assertions that this salvation isn’t just something we have to wait for in the long-distance future.” ― N. T. Wright
38. “Christian living means dying with Christ and rising again. That, as we saw, is part of the meaning of baptism, the starting point of the Christian pilgrimage.” ― N. T. Wright
39. “If you believe in resurrection, you believe that the living God will put his world to rights and that if God wants to do that in the future, it is right to try to anticipate that by whatever means in the present.” ― N. T. Wright
40. “Your calling may be to find new ways to tell the story of redemption, to create fresh symbols tat will speak of a home for the homeless, the end of exile, the replanting of the garden, the rebuilding of the house.” ― N. T. Wright
Inspirational resurrection quotes
41. “Only after disaster can we be resurrected.” ― Chuck Palahniuk
42. “The death of a dream can in fact serve as the vehicle that endows it with new form, with reinvigorated substance, a fresh flow of ideas, and splendidly revitalized color. In short, the power of a certain kind of dream is such that death need not indicate finality at all but rather signify a metaphysical and metaphorical leap forward.” ― Aberjhani
43. “In the oddity or maybe the miracle of life, the roots of something new frequently lie in the decaying husks of something old.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
44. “It is not more surprising to be born twice than once; everything in nature is resurrection.” ― Voltaire
45. “Self-destruction and self-sabotage are often just the start of the self-resurrection process.” ― Oli Anderson
46. “Love had raised them from the dead, and the heart of each held endless springs of life for the heart of the other.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
47. “I’ve seen life accept endings, but I have never seen life surrender to them.” ― Craig D Lounsbrough
48. “The size of an ending will never offset the inevitability of a beginning.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
49. “We fall and from the dirt we rise. From the grime, the mud, the slurry of sweat and blood, again and again, we rise. Each time we think we can’t get up again, we rise.” ― Dr. Salma Farook
50. “Put your dreams on the altar. They will be resurrected into something even grander.” ― Loren Cunningham
Resurrection Quotes To Inspire You Everyday
51. “You were born a child of light’s wonderful secret—you return to the beauty you have always been.” ― Aberjhani
52. “Then came the healing time, hearts started to shine, soul felt so fine, oh what a freeing time it was.” — Aberjhani
53. “Souls reconstructed with faith transform agony into peace.” ― Aberjhani
54. “It is such a letdown to rise from the dead and have your friends not recognize you.” ― Rob Bell
55. “With my ninth mind I resurrect my first and dance slow to the music of my soul made new.”
56. “In a world where the dead have returned to life, the word” trouble’ loses much of its meaning.” ― Dennis Hopper
57. “When I hear that “Possession is the grave of love,” I remember that a religion may begin with the resurrection.”― F.H. Bradley
58. “The old world told men merely about to live and to die. Today men think about defeating death and resurrection.” ― Toba Beta
59. “Christian holiness consists not of trying as hard as we can to be good but of learning to live in the new world created by Easter, the new world we publicly entered in our baptism.” ― N.T. Wright
60. “Resurrection is the restoration of life to the dead. It is part of Jehovah’s correction of man’s insurrection to Him. God is Love indeed.” ― Vincent Okay Nwachukwu
Resurrection Quotes To Inspire Rebirth
61. “Our Lord has written the promise of resurrection, not in books alone but in every leaf of springtime.” – Martin Luther
62. “Salvation is the root–the resurrection is the fruit.” – T.D. Jakes
63. “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” – C.S. Lewis
64. “Before the Resurrection of Christ, the Holy Spirit came upon individuals only on certain occasions for special tasks. But now, after the Resurrection, Christ through the Holy Spirit dwells in the heart of every believer to give us supernatural power in living our daily lives.” – Billy Graham
65. “Let us consider this settled, that no one has made progress in the school of Christ who does not joyfully await the day of death and final resurrection.”– John Calvin
66. “The cross is the victory, the resurrection is the triumph…The resurrection is the public display of the victory, the triumph of the crucified one.” – Leon Morris.
67. “The resurrection gives my life meaning and direction and the opportunity to start over no matter what my circumstances.” – Robert Flatt.
68. “Let the resurrection joy lift us from loneliness and weakness and despair to strength and beauty and happiness.” – Floyd W. Tomkins
69. “The cross of Christ only triumphs in the breast of believers over the devil and the flesh, sin, and sinners, when their eyes are directed to the power of His Resurrection.” – John Calvin
70. “The entire plan for the future has its key in the resurrection.” – Bill Graham
Resurrection Quotes To Renew Your Faith
71.“Before an empty tomb, we will come to know that Christ our Lord has burst the bands of death and stands forever triumphant over the grave.” ― Bruce R. McConkie
72. “What if we lived like Jesus really did rise from the dead?” ― Sarah Holman
73. “Without the resurrection, the cross is meaningless.” ― Billy Graham
74. “God emptied out that first tomb so that He could turn around and empty out me.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
75. “Jesus Christ gave the perfect definition for resurrection. Resurrection means ‘passed from death unto life.” ― Tim Liwanag
76. “My life is never influenced by death because I am full of resurrections after so many spiritual and emotional demises.” ― Munia Khan
77. “My heart and soul passed the resurrection of all times.” ― Petra Hermans
78. “Jesus was buried in a borrowed tomb because He was planning on returning it to its rightful owner after a short weekend.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
79. “I resurrect myself every day.” ― Glennon Doyle
80. “The resurrection blasts apart the finality of death, providing an alternative to the stifling settling dust of death and opens the way to new life.” ― Billy Graham
Resurrection Quotes To Revive Your Soul
81. “Christ’s resurrection doesn’t mean escaping from the world; it means mission to the world based on Jesus’s lordship over the world.” — N. T. Wright
82. “Until Jesus comes, his resurrection glory in the church is a matter of strength made perfect in suffering.” — Richard Gaffin
83. “Never be afraid to bring the transcendent mysteries of our faith, Christ’s life and death and resurrection, to the help of the humblest and commonest of human wants.” — Phillips Brooks
84. “I don’t think crucifixion is the answer. I believe in the resurrection. I like that part of the story.” — Mort Sahl
85. “Christ’s resurrection is the ground-work of our hope. And the new birth is our title or evidence of our interest in it.” — John Flavel
86. “To speak of sin without grace is to minimize the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the fruit of the Spirit, and the hope of shalom.” — Cornelius Plantinga
87. “The same power that brought Christ back from the dead is operative within those who are Christ’s. The Resurrection is an ongoing thing.” — Leon Morris
88. “The resurrection is God’s way of getting our attention.” — Peter J. Gomes
89. “All of nature is resurrection.” — Brian Weiss
90. “Christ is risen! There is life, therefore, after death! His resurrection is the symbol and pledge of universal resurrection!” — Henry Ward Beecher
What did you learn from these resurrection quotes and sayings?
What pop cultural references to resurrection are you familiar with?
A movie in the 80s titled Resurrection chronicled the near-death experience of a woman named Edna.
She and her husband drive off a cliff, killing him, paralyzing her, and leaving her with the mysterious ability to heal people.
Even aliens had a resurrection film back in the 90s with Alien: Resurrection.
There have also been countless films depicting the resurrection of Jesus himself.
The latest one came out in 2021 and stars Juan Pablo Di Pace as Jesus.
Have you seen any of these movies?
Which one was your favorite?
Have you had an experience where you felt like you overcame something so detrimental that it was an opportunity to pull your life back from the brink?
We would love to hear your thoughts, so leave them in the comment section below, along with any other favorite resurrection quotes and sayings.