Childhood Quotes to Connect With Your Inner Child
February 28, 2023 5:00 AM EST
They may be small, but these childhood quotes show the importance of your own childhood and the children we have in the world today.
Why is having a childhood so important?
Many people overlook children and the big importance that they play in our world.
As people grow up, it’s easy for us to forget the way our minds worked as a child and the joy that we experienced in the simple things around us.
You may also enjoy our article on:
A study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology revealed that personality traits tend to stabilize by the age of 5, indicating that early childhood experiences may have a long-lasting impact on the development of personality.
The study highlights the importance of providing children with supportive environments and positive experiences to foster healthy personality development.
In childhood is when the person that we are going to be starts to take form.
The people in our lives at that time make a big difference.
And we have the opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of children today.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and heartwarming childhood quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
Childhood quotes about growing up
Research conducted by the American Psychological Association suggests that children as young as 4 can display empathy, demonstrating that the capacity for compassion is innate in humans from an early age.
The findings underscore the importance of teaching and modeling empathy to children, as it is a key aspect of social and emotional development.
1. “Pretty much all the honest truth telling there is in the world is done by children.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
You will also enjoy our article on cousin quotes.
2. “Children are magic because they look for it.” – Christopher Moore
You will also enjoy our article on Snoopy quotes.
3. “Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see.” – John F. Kennedy
You will also enjoy our article on Velveteen Rabbit quotes.
4. “Childhoods never last. But everyone deserves one.” – Wendy Dale
You will also enjoy our article on rainy day quotes.
5. “Children make your life important.” – Erma Bombeck
You will also enjoy our article on motivational quotes for kids.
6. “The soul is healed by being with children.” – Fyodor Dostoevsky
You will also enjoy our article on baseball quotes.
7. “Sometimes you have to grow up before you appreciate how you grew up.” – Daniel Black
You will also enjoy our article on sibling quotes.
8. “Children have one kind of silliness, as you know, and grown-ups have another kind.” – C.S. Lewis
You will also enjoy our article on father daughter quotes.
9. “Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.” – Chili Davis
You will also enjoy our article on grandchildren quotes.
10. “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” – E.E. Cummings
See more quotes about growing up
Childhood quotes on the importance of children
Harvard University researchers found that positive experiences in early childhood, such as responsive caregiving and stimulating environments, can lead to better physical and mental health outcomes in adulthood.
The study highlights the importance of investing in early childhood development programs to promote healthy development and prevent negative outcomes later in life.
11. “There can be no keener revelation of a society’s soul than the way in which it treats its children.” – Nelson Mandela
You will also enjoy our article on Matilda quotes.
12. “Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them.” – Lady Bird Johnson
13. “Children are human beings to whom respect is due, superior to us by reason of their innocence and of the greater possibilities of their future.” – Maria Montessori (see more quotes from Maria Montessori)
14. “For in every adult there dwells the child that was, and in every child there lies the adult that will be.” – John Connolly
You will also enjoy our article on baby smile quotes.
15. “Children are not only innocent and curious but also optimistic and joyful and essentially happy. They are, in short, everything adults wish they could be.” – Carolyn Haywood
16. “Contemplating childhood is like contemplating a beautiful region as one rides backwards; one really becomes aware of the beauty at that moment, that very instant, when it begins to vanish.” – Soren Kierkegaard
17. “Age is a necessary but insufficient requirement for growing up. There are immature old people, and there are appropriately mature young people.” – Henry Cloud
18. “When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.” – Patrick Rothfuss
19. “There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in.” – Graham Greene
20. “You know children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers.” – John J. Plomp
You might also like these beautiful children quotes that will fill your heart with love and laughter.
Childhood quotes about family and friends
21. “One of the great lessons I remember my dad constantly emphasizing in our family while I was growing up was ‘Use your R&I.’That is, use your resourcefulness and initiative. He taught us that we were not victims of the circumstances surrounding us, but rather masters of our own destiny.” Stephen Covey
22. “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.” – Angela Schwindt
23. “As I learned from growing up, you don’t mess with your grandmother.” – Prince William
24. “Growing up, my parents were my heroes, in the way they conducted their lives.” – Chris Hemsworth
25. “Hugs can do great amounts of good, especially for children.” – Diana, Princess of Wales
26. “Children will not remember you for the material things you provided, but for the feeling that you cherished them.” – Richard L. Evans
27. “When I was growing up, I remember my mother saying, “Your friends are like elevators; they will bring you up or down – the choice is yours.” – David DeNotaris
Also read these quotes from The Little Mermaid to relive your childhood.
Fun childhood quotes
28. “Cleaning the house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the sidewalk before it stops snowing.” – Phyllis Diller
29. “Adults are just outdated children.” – Dr. Seuss
30. “A child is a curly, dimpled lunatic.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
31. “There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million.” – Walt Steightiff
32. “Never have more children than you have car windows.” – Erma Bombeck
33. “One thing I had learned from watching chimpanzees with their infants is that having a child should be fun.” – Jane Goodall
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of inspiring Jane Goodall quotes about the environment.
34. “Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
35. “If you’ve never been hated by your child, you’ve never been a parent.” – Bette Davis
Childhood quotes about teaching children
36. “The best way to make children good is to make them happy.” – Oscar Wilde
37. “I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it.” – Harry S. Truman
38. “You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.” – Kahlil Gibran
39. “Even if people are still very young, they shouldn’t be prevented from saying what they think.” – Anne Frank
40. “Don’t handicap your children by making their lives easy.” – Robert A. Heinlein
41. “Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.” – Margaret Mead
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of inspirational quotes for kids about school, success, and growing up.
42. “We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open.” – Harry Edwards
43. “If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” – Albert Einstein
44. “Children will listen to you after they feel listened to.” – Jane Nelsen
45. “Children learn more from what you are, than what you teach.” – W.E.B. DuBois
46. “Children are one third of our population and all of our future.” – Unknown
47. “It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.: – Frederick Douglas
48. “Children need models rather than critics.” – Joseph Joubert
49. “To every child—I dream of a world where you can laugh, dance, sing, learn, live in peace and be happy.” – Malala Yousafzai
50. “A child seldom needs a good talking to as a good listening to.” – Robert Brault
Don’t forget to also read these wonderful preschool quotes for kids and kids at heart.
Nostalgic Childhood Quotes
51. “Memories of childhood were the dreams that stayed with you after you woke.” – Julian Barnes
52. “Childhood is the best of all the seasons of life, and the longer it lasts with happy memories, the stronger the emotional stability in adulthood.” – Venugopal Acharya
53. “Don’t you wish you could take a single childhood memory and blow it up into a bubble and live inside it forever?” – Sarah Addison Allen
54. “Praise the innocence of childhood soon forgotten.” – Will Leamon
55. “If you carry your childhood with you, you never become older.” – Tom Stoppard
56. “When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so.” – C.S. Lewis
57. “We could never have loved the earth so well if we had had no childhood in it.” – George Eliot
58. “Every time you miss your childhood, ride on a bicycle! ” – Mehmet Murat İldan
59. “Old age lives minutes slowly, hours quickly; childhood chews hours and swallows minutes.” – Malcolm De Chazal
60. “How dear to this heart are the scenes of my childhood when I found recollection presents them to view!” – Samuel Woodworth
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of balloon quotes for the child in you.
Childhood Quotes To Remind You Of Childhood Memories
61. “In my childhood I led the life of a sage, when I grew up I started climbing trees.” ― Philip Roth
62. “What one loves in childhood stays in their heart forever.” ― Hary Jo Putney
63. “Childhood is the one story that stands by itself in every soul.” ― Ivan Doig
64. “We carry our childhood with us.” ― Gary D. Schmidt
65. “All of us are products of our childhood.” ― Michael Jackson
66. “Childhood means simplicity. Look at the world with a child’s eye – it is very beautiful.” ― Kailash Satyarthi
67. “In the happiest of our childhood memories our parents were happy too.” ― Robert Brault
68. “Whoever said that childhood is the happiest time of your life is a liar, or a fool.” ― Carlos Ruiz Zafón
69. “Children still need a childhood with dirt, mud, puddles, tree, sticks, and tadpoles.” ― Brooke Hampton
70. “Childhood dreams are forever stuffed in our souls. Take them out and play sometimes.” ― Angie Wieland-Crosby
Childhood Quotes About Your Irreplaceable Treasures
71. “A child is a beam of sunlight from the Infinite and Eternal, with possibilities of virtue and vice, but as yet unstained.” — Lyman Abbott
72. “At every step the child should be allowed to meet the real experience of life; the thorns should never be plucked from his roses.” – Ellen Key
73. “Children really brighten up a household. They never turn the lights off.” – Ralph Bus
74. “Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.” ― Emilie Buchwald
75. “You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” — Franklin P. Jones
76. “If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders.” — Abigail Van Buren
77. “Encourage your child to have muddy, grassy or sandy feet by the end of each day, that’s the childhood they deserve.” — Penny Whitehouse
78. “Nothing you do for children is ever wasted.” ― Garrison Keillor
79. “A child is an uncut diamond.” — Austin O’Malley
80. “At the end of the day, the most overwhelming key to a child’s success is the positive involvement of parents.” — Jane D. Hull.
Childhood Quotes To Bring You Childhood Memories
81. “The fundamental condition of childhood is powerlessness.” ― Jane Smiley
82. “Childhood is measured out by sounds and smells and sights, before the dark hour of reason grows.” ― John Betjeman
83. “I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.” ― Sigmund Freud
84. “What is it about childhood that never lets you go, even when you’re so wrecked it’s hard to believe you ever were a child?” ― Mitch Albom
85. “A cousin is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost.” ― Marion C. Garretty
86. “An idyllic childhood is probably illusion.” ― Martha Grimes
87. “When I was a kid, I had two friends, and they were imaginary and they would only play with each other.” ― Rita Rudner
88. “It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.” ― Tom Robbins
89. “Childhood is the most valuable thing that’s taken away from you in life, if you think about it.” ― Heather O’Neill
90. “Summer will end soon enough, and childhood as well.” ― George R.R. Martin
Childhood Quotes on Beauty and Challenges of Growing Up
91. “The memories of childhood touch us forever.” ― James Barrie
92. “Childhood is the fiery furnace in which we are melted down to essentials and that essential shaped for good.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
93. “Childhood is like a mirror, which reflects in later life the images first presented to it.” ― Samuel Taylor Coleridge
94. “In every child there is a piece of the future.” ― Orhan Pamuk
95. “Childhood is a promise that is never kept.” ― Ken Hill
96. “Childhood is a time of rapidly changing emotions, and the growth process is often painful.” ― Lillian Dickson
97. “Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies.” ― Edna St. Vincent Millay
98. “The childhood shows the man, as morning shows the day.” ― John Milton
99. “Childhood is not a race to see how quickly a child can read, write, and count. It is a small window of time to learn and develop at the pace that is right for each individual child.” ― Magda Gerber
100. “The best years of a person’s life are the five years between the ages of 10 and 15.” ― H.L. Mencken
What have you learned from these Childhood quotes?
Growing up is something that happens to all of us, just at different times.
Some of us had great childhoods and were taught the things we needed to know to be successful as adults.
Others didn’t have the same great start and may have struggled with family relationships that impacted how they moved into the future.
Either way, it’s important to understand where you came from and the impact that your childhood had on you growing up.
But it’s also important to know that as an adult, you don’t have to allow things from your childhood to control your future.
And it’s important to see that you can have a positive impact on future generations by the way you teach children today.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these childhood quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.