Looking for the best liar quotes for when you’ve been deceived?
Being lied to hurts so much.
Whether you’ve been deceived by a loved one, boss, or business partner, the horrible feeling of distrust is the same.
Being a victim of deceit shatters your faith; the next time, you find it harder to trust.
However, you shouldn’t allow lies to change who you are and how you live.
If you’ve been taken advantage of, all it means is that you’re an honest person.
You can still find ways to preserve your ability to trust.
Though it might not be easy as it sounds, the first thing you can do when you’ve lied is to forgive yourself for being fooled.
And to avoid being fooled again, don’t give a known liar the benefit of the doubt.
Learn the basics of spotting a liar, and you’ll be a step ahead of the game.
Also, don’t be shy to verify what people tell you.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking liar quotes, liar sayings, and liar proverbs, collected from various sources over the years.
Also, check out our selection of fake friends quotes to help you weed through those deceitful friends.
Liar Quotes for When You’ve Been Lied to and Manipulated
1. “One lie has the power to tarnish a thousand truths.” ― Al David
2. “Stupidity is to have amnesia over your own faults when the person you hate makes theirs.” ― Shannon L. Alder
3. “When your ears hear one thing, but your eyes see another…use your brain.” ― Frank Sonnenberg
4. “Stop falling for those who won’t raise you up in the future.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
5. “Lies are like cockroaches, for every one you discover there are many more that are hidden.” ― Gary Hopkins
6. “I don’t degrade anyone, but a liar and a person, who doesn’t keep his or her words, has not any value in my eyes.” ― Ehsan Sehgal
7. “When people don’t tell you the truth what they really are saying is they don’t value you or their relationship with you enough, to be honest.” ― Shannon L. Alder
8. “But he that sows lie in the end shall not lack a harvest, and soon he may rest from toil indeed, while others reap and sow in his stead.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
9. “Pigs are dirty, but I will tell you something dirtier: Liars! Untruth always smells like rotten garbage!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
10. “Lies sound like facts to those who’ve been conditioned to misrecognize the truth.” ― DaShanne Stokes
Liar quotes for when you’ve been deceived
11. “I wasn’t sure which was worse – to know you were a liar or to believe your own bullshit.” ― Eileen Cook
12. “The ability to lie, paired with unaccountability, has made a near infinite amount of liabilities.” ― Justin K. McFarlane
13. “Be careful… not all are what they seem. Some people pretend to be the beach, but they’re actually quicksand.” ― Steve Maraboli
14. “Truth is as straight as an arrow, while a lie swivels like a snake.” ― Suzy Kassem
15. “Some people are in such utter darkness that they will burn you just to see a light. Try not to take it personally.” ― Kamand Kojouri
16. “Before you call yourself a Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu or any other theology, learn to be human first.” ― Shannon L. Alder
17. “In politics, you learn how to say A mean to say B, in wisdom you learn how to say A and keep saying that.” ― Auliq Ice
18. “There is tremendous trauma in the betrayal caused by a perpetual liar as they repeatedly commit psychological abuse.” ― Cathy Burnham Martin
19. “Take back your power! I wish you the wisdom to realize that the problem isn’t that they keep lying to you; it’s that you keep believing them.” ― Steve Maraboli
20. “Anybody who says they are a good liar obviously is not, because any legitimately savvy liar would always insist they’re honest about everything.” ― Chuck Klosterman
You might also like these lies quotes for healing and moving on.
Liar quotes for when you’ve been taken advantage of
21. “People don’t lie to contaminate truth. They lie to pollute their hearts.” ― Munia Khan
22. “You can’t always expect people to apply your wisdom when they didn’t use wisdom before they found themselves knee deep in their version of justice.” ― Shannon L. Alder
23. “The problem with being a liar is you can never believe anyone else.” ― Chloe Thurlow
24. “Only fools and liars claim to know everything because the fool thinks all that he knows is everything and the liar knows there is no sufficient data to know everything” ― Nyona Matende
25. “No one believes a liar. Even when she’s telling the truth.” ― Sara Shepard
26. “When you don’t have honesty in love then there is no communication. Honesty is the improvisation of the heart; anything less is a well thought out and rehearsed the script.” ― Shannon L. Alder
27. “Once a country is habituated to liars, it takes generations to get the truth back.” ― Gore Vidal
28. “To know the good from the bad, study a man or woman’s history of actions, not their record of intentions.” ― Suzy Kassem
29. “Never stand in the way of letting God use people’s actions, in order to solve a greater issue in the world.” ― Shannon L. Alder
30. “I don’t hate Liars. I just disrespect them, because they disrespect themselves in the first place.” ― Revaz Eristavi
Also, read these insightful manipulation quotes to keep toxic people away.
Liar quotes to help you preserve your ability to trust
31. “A coward talks to everyone but YOU.” ― Shannon L. Alder
32. “Accepting fraud from our leaders means accepting fraud in our personal lives.” ― DaShanne Stokes
33. “Thieves and liars kill indirectly, unintentionally, and with no other weapon than their tongues and malice.” ― A.E.H. Veenman
34. “Lies don’t end relationships the truth does.” ― Shannon L. Alder
35. “I do really believe that, like so many liars, there is a real substratum of truth behind her lies.” ― Agatha Christie
36. “Screaming and repeating lies makes them neither true nor more believable.” ― Cathy Burnham Martin
37. “Direct lies, small lies, huge lies, and lies of omission… these are all self-serving and sources of self-destruction.” ― Cathy Burnham Martin
38. “Neither a fake friend nor a liar can be trusted, with a secret.” ― Ellen J. Barrier
39. “Adding more bull to bull yields bigger bull.” ― Cathy Burnham Martin
40. “The way to happiness is by the truth. Seek to be true in all things and you will have a foundation to build your future.” ― Shannon L. Alder
You might also like these rumor quotes about gossiping will make you want to stop spreading drama and lies.
Thought-provoking liar quotes
41. “We reveal most about ourselves when we speak about others.” ― Kamand Kojouri
42. “The liar was the hottest to defend his veracity, the coward his courage, the ill-bred his gentlemanliness, and the cad his honor” ― Margaret Mitchell
44. “Hypocrites get offended by the truth.” ― Jess C. Scott
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of hypocrite quotes from famous writers and authors.
44. “Unfortunately in today’s world a liar seems to be more reliable than a truthful honest man.” ― Munia Khan
45. “Warns, lies, liars, and mysteries everything in one place what more awesome than that??? Better check out Blindspot!” ― Deyth Banger
46. “People wear a mask of a lie so they look attractive, so be careful” ― Muhammad Saqib
47. “He, of course, is a liar, but that doesn’t really matter because, if you know liars are liars, it comes to the same thing.” ― Agatha Christie
48. “When God takes out the trash, don’t go digging back through it. Trust Him.” ― Amaka Imani Nkosazana
49. “People lie, cheat and bully one another and then wonder why they’re unhappy.” ― Marty Rubin
50. “When your lover is a liar, you and he have a lot in common, you’re both lying to you!” ― Susan Forward
More liar quotes and sayings
51. “I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
52. “The trust of the innocent is the liar’s most useful tool.” – Stephen King
53. “The most confused we ever get is when we’re trying to convince our heads of something our heart knows is a lie.” – Karen Marie Moning
54. “Once you place that crown of liar on your head, you can take it off again, but it leaves a stain for all time.” – Terry Goodkind
55. “The fact that so many successful politicians are such shameless liars is not only a reflection on them, it is also a reflection on us. When the people want the impossible, only liars can satisfy.” – Thomas Sowell
56. “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” – Adolf Hitler
57. “A good liar knows that the most efficient lie is always a truth that has had a key piece removed from it.” – Carlos Ruiz Zafon
58. “Every violation of truth is not only a sort of suicide in the liar, but is a stab at the health of human society.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
59. “A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.” – Aesop
60. “A liar is a liar and lives on the lies he tells and dies in a life of lies.” – Carl Sandburg
61. “The truly scary thing about undiscovered lies is that they have a greater capacity to diminish us than exposed ones.” – Cheryl Hughes
62. “Hard truths can be dealt with, triumphed over, but lies will destroy your soul.” – Patricia Briggs
63. “Lying to ourselves is more deeply ingrained than lying to others.” – Fyodor Dostoevsky
64. “If it is necessary sometimes to lie to others, it is always despicable to lie to oneself.” – W. Somerset Maugham
65. “Things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies.” – Dorothy Allison
Liar quotes to help you recognize them
66. “The world is not fair, and often fools, cowards, liars and the selfish hide in high places.” –Bryant H. McGill
67. “Liars need to have good memories.” –Algernon Sidney
68. “He who does not bellow the truth when he knows the truth makes himself the accomplice of liars and forgers.” –Charles Peguy
69. “Men are liars. We’ll lie about lying if we have to. I’m an algebra liar. I figure two good lies make a positive.” –Tim Allen
70. “Liars are always most disposed to swear.” –Vittorio Alfieri
71. “No relationship is perfect and people who say they don’t argue are either liars or biting their tongues all the time.” –Kym Marsh
72. “Regrets? I think everyone has regrets, and people who say they haven’t are either liars… or narcissists.” –Lee Radziwill
73. “Bands that say they don’t care about how their records sell are liars.” –Brandon Flowers
74. “The best liars lie with their eyes rather than with their words.” –Joanna Scott
75. “I think all actors are professional liars.” –Sidharth Malhotra
Liar Quotes and Sayings from Famous People
76. “If you don’t want to slip up tomorrow, speak the truth today.” – Bruce Lee
77. “Even a tiny bit of deceit is dishonorable when it’s used for selfish or cowardly reasons.” – Jeanne Birdsall
78. “When people cheat in any arena, they diminish themselves-they threaten their own self-esteem and their relationships with others by undermining the trust they have in their ability to succeed and in their ability to be true.” – Cheryl Hughes
79. “It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one.” – George Washington
80. “If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” – Mark Twain
81. “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.” – George Carlin
82. “Over time, any deception destroys intimacy, and without intimacy couples cannot have true and lasting love.” – Bonnie Eaker Weil
83. I never lie,” I said offhand. “At least not to those I don’t love. – Anne Rice
84. “When a man is penalized for honesty he learns to lie.” – Criss Jami
85. “The mistake ninety-nine percent of humanity made, as far as facts could see, was being ashamed of what they were; lying about it, trying to be somebody else.” – J.K. Rowling
Short Liar Quotes You Should Know
86. “The liar’s punishment is, not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else.” — George Bernard Shaw
87. “A storyteller makes up things to help other people; a liar makes up things to help himself.” — Daniel Wallace
88. “Liars share with those they deceive the desire not to be deceived.” — Sissela Bok
89. “Those who think it is permissible to tell white lies soon grow color-blind.” — Austin O’Malley
90. “No man has a good enough memory to make a successful liar.” — Abraham Lincoln
91. “Lying is done with words, and also with silence.” — Adrienne Rich
92. “While photographs may not lie, liars may photograph.” — Lewis Hine
93. “Liars are always ready to take oaths.” — Vittorio Alfieri
94. “Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears.” — Rudyard Kipling
95. “The essence of lying is in deception, not in words.” — John Ruskin
Funny Liar Quotes That Will Make You Smile
96. “Be bad, but at least don’t be a liar, a deceiver!” ― Leo Tolstoy
97. “Denial can be beautiful. But only when you’re a fantastic liar” ― Kim Holden
98. “Whoever said that childhood is the happiest time of your life is a liar, or a fool.” ― Carlos Ruiz Zafón
99. “I was so mad, I reached into the drawer for her fake sushi eraser and put it in my pocket. Serves her right for being such a big, fat, Eggo-scarfing liar.” ― Sarah Darer Littman
100. “Sometimes your mind and your heart want different things, and you know your heart is a liar.” ― Surya Raj
101. “A liar should have a good memory.” ― T.M. Logan
102. “You do not need to defeat a liar, a liar’s lie is itself his or her defeat.” ― Ehsan Sehgal
103. “The one who most seems like a liar is the one who tells a bold-face truth.” ― Runa Pigden
104. “Some people sometimes kiss and tell; some sometimes tell without having kissed.” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
105. “A persistent liar cannot prosper without a powerful memory.” ― Amit Kalantri
Liar Quotes That They Cannot Be Trusted
106. “A liar begins with making falsehood appear like truth, and ends with making truth itself appear like falsehood.” ― William Shenstone
107. “Liars when they speak the truth are not believed.” ― Aristotle
108. “Liars are the cause of all the sins and crimes in the world.” ― Epictetus
109. “The only thing worse than a liar is a liar that’s also a hypocrite!” ― Tennessee Williams
110. “The American people are tired of liars and people who pretend to be something they’re not.” ― Hillary Clinton
111. “The best liar is he who makes the smallest amount of lying go the longest way.” ― Samuel Butler
112. “All liars … lie to protect themselves, to shield their egos from the raw pain of truth.” ― Aminatta Forna
113. “You can best reward a liar by believing nothing of what he says.” ― Aristippus
114. “A hero must be honorable, must have honor. And you can’t have honor if you’re a liar. There is no honor in lying.” ― Jesse Ventura
115. “Liars often set their own traps.” ― Aesop
Which of these liar quotes was your favorite?
It would be great if no friend, lover, or family member ever lied to us.
However, when they do, find ways to preserve your ability to trust, and you’ll feel better about yourself.
At some point in life, everyone is the victim of a lie.
We hope the liar quotes above will help you find ways to keep your trust alive.
Did you enjoy this collection of liar quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.
Also, don’t forget to share with your friends and followers.
September 25, 2022 6:00 AM EST