Need to take a breather?
The breathe quotes we have compiled below will give you dozens of reasons to take a step back, relax, and breathe.
When’s the last time you focused on your breathing?
In our hectic society, we rarely find the time to give our breathing the attention it deserves.
Deep breathing, for example, can help us through many different ailments experienced in our day-to-day life.
The benefits of deep breathing include reducing stress, decreasing blood pressure, and reducing tension.
Below are wise words from popular celebrities, prominent authors, and successful businessmen and women about the importance of focusing on your breathing.
Inspirational breathe quotes
1. “Do not be afraid that joy will make the pain worse; it is needed like the air we breathe.” – Goran Persson
2. “When people ask me what the most important thing is in life, I answer: ‘Just breathe.’” – Yoko Ono
3. “Breathe and don’t try to be perfect.” – Nicole Kidman
4. “While we breathe, we will hope.” – Barack Obama
5. “If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You have another chance.” – Andrea Boydston
6. “Take every breath as an event.” – Arzum Uzun
7. “Breathe. It’s only a bad day, not a bad life.” – Ashley Purdy
8. “He lives most life whoever breathes most air.” – Elizabeth Barrett Browning
9. “Happiness breathes when you do.” – Terri Guillemets
10. “Remember to breathe. It is, after all, the secret of life.” – Gregory Maguire
Breathe quotes to soothe your mind
11. “The moment you breathe your first breath, you won.” – J.R. Rim
12. “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” – Oprah Winfrey
13. “When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive, to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.” – Marcus Aurelius
14. “I learned that when life pulls you under, you can kick against the bottom, break the surface, and breathe again.” – Sheryl Sandberg
15. “When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful.” – Eric D. Thomas
16. “To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
17. “When you own your breath, nobody can steal your peace.” – Unknown
18. “Breath is the finest gift of nature. Be grateful for this wonderful gift.” – Amit Ray
19. “Breath is the bridge which connects life to consciousness, which unites your body to your thoughts.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
20. “There is one way of breathing that is shameful and constricted. Then, there’s another way: a breath of love that takes you all the way to infinity.” – Rumi
21. “Breathing, according to me, corresponds to taking charge of one’s own life.” – Luce Irigaray
Breathe quotes to elevate your perspective
22. “And when I breathed, my breath was lightning.” – Black Elk
23. “Keep breathing. Just keep doing it. It’s easy. In and out.” – Jenny Downham
24. “As long as I breathe, I attack.” – Bernard Hinault
25. “As you breathe in, cherish yourself. As you breathe out, cherish all Beings.” – Dalai Lama
26. “Conscious breathing is the best antidote to stress, anxiety, and depression.” – Amit Ray
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of stress quotes that will teach you tips to better manage yours.
27. “What excites me is just taking some time to breathe in life. The mundane is very exciting.” – Viola Davis
28. “The more we talk about our troubles and our fears, the more life we breathe into them.” – Evinda Lepins
29. “If you can’t breathe, you can’t do nothing.” – JaVale McGee
30. “Every breath is a resurrection.” – Gregory Orr
31. “Bliss begins with the breath. We breathe in and accept all that is new. We breathe out, and release all that has passed.” – Sara Wiseman
32. “Revenge is a caustic thing. I say, Breathe in, breathe deeply, let it go.” – Jason Statham
Breathe quotes about relaxing
33. “I love being in the woods when I can just walk barefoot in the grass and just sit down and breathe. I love that so much.” – Jessie Reyez
34. “My dream is to have a house on the beach, even just a little shack somewhere so I can wake up, have coffee, look at dolphins, be quiet and breathe the air.” – Vera Wang
If you enjoyed this collection of quotes, check out our coffee quotes for our high energy coffee lovers out there.
35. “I take a few moments in the morning just to breathe while I drink my morning coffee or right before I get out of bed.” – Ayesha Curry
36. “I meditate. I breathe out what I can’t control and focus on the positives.” – Deepika Padukone
37. “In a meadow full of flowers, you cannot walk through and breathe those smells and see all those colors and remain angry. We have to support the beauty, the poetry, of life.” – Jonas Mekas
38. “I schedule ‘me’ time because, just like everyone else, I need to unwind. I try to remember to take it easy and breathe.” – Mandy Ingber
Breathe quotes about society
39. “Technology has become as ubiquitous as the air we breathe, so we are no longer conscious of its presence.” – Godfrey Reggio
40. “Culture is the air we breathe all around us.” – Josh Rox
41. “For science must breathe the oxygen of freedom.” – John Polanyi
42. “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” – Emma Lazarus
43. “The air we breathe is still free, but for how much time. I believe someone is busy patenting it to start selling it for profit.” – Bangambiki Habyarimana
44. “The American people have a right to know the air they breathe is safe.” – Sheldon Whitehouse
45. “Innovation can only occur where you can breathe free.” – Joe Biden
46. “Just the fact that you get to live and breathe and interact with the world – that’s pretty marvelous.” – Junot Diaz
47. “Being from a small town, no one else was going to breathe life into my ideas other than me, so I had to go out there and do it.” – Matt Bellamy
48. “In an underdeveloped country don’t drink the water. In a developed country don’t breathe the air.” – Jonathan Raban
49. “Gratitude is not a limited resource, nor is it costly. It is abundant as air. We breathe it in but forget to exhale.” – Marshall Goldsmith
50. “This air we breathe is precious, and the glaciers helped me understand that and stay focused on that.” – James Balog
More breathe quotes and sayings
51. “Sometimes, the most productive thing that you can do is to step outside and do nothing… relax and enjoy nature.” – Melanie Charlene
52. “Meditation nourishes your awareness that you are the Self, then you can relax and have fun in this Divine Play.” – Bert McCoy
53. “It’s always the mind that needs quietening and the heart that needs listening to.” – Rasheed Ogunlaru
54. “Mindset is everything. Like the eye of a storm -find the sunshine and calm within you, even if there is chaos outside of you.” – Brittany Burgunder
55. “Keep calm and live.” – Bangambiki Habyarimana
56. “Thoughts will lead you in circles. Silence will bring you back to your center.” – Rasheed Ogunlaru
57. “Power of prayer, serenity for the soul.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
58. “Think about every good thing in your life right now. Free yourself of worrying. Let go of the anxiety, breathe. Stay positive, all is well.” – Germany Kent
59. “Do something nice for yourself today. Find some quiet, sit in stillness, breathe. Put your problems on pause. You deserve a break.” – Akiroq Brost
60. “Think for yourself. Ignore the noises around you that polarize and try to promote fear and division. You know better. Be better. Breathe.” – Gregory S. Williams
Inspirational Breathe Quotes
61. “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” – Oprah Winfrey
62. “Breathing dreams like air.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
63. “The moment you breathe your first breath, you won.” – J.R Rim
64. “Unexpected change is like a breath of fresh air, a little brisk at first, but magic for the body and soul. – Susan Wiggs
65. “The sun loves the moon so much that he dies every night to let her breathe.” – Jeffrey Fry
66. “If you just remember to breathe and smile before you act, you’ll always make the right decision.” – Russell Simmons
67. “It is nice finding that place where you can just go and relax.” – Moises Arias
68. “Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live.” – Johnny Depp
69. “Do not be afraid that joy will make the pain worse; it is needed like the air we breathe.” – Goran Persson
70. “Now breathe, and step out again, a step further from the past. Step into the streets as narrow as bones, the white streets of the labyrinth, and breathe deeply. Breathe, and step out once more.” – Kevin Barry
71. “Do not be afraid that joy will make the pain worse; it is needed like the air we breathe.” – Garon Persson
72. “Breathe quietly and let it be. Let your body relax and your heart soften.” – Jack Kornfield
73. “No one can get inner peace by pouncing on it.” – Harry Emerson Fosdick
74. “I’ve decided to be happy because it is good for my health.” – Voltaire
75. “Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer.” – William Burroughs
76. “Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths.” – Etty Hillesum
77. “Life isn’t as serious as the mind makes it out to be.” – Eckhart Tolle
78. “Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is relax.” – Mark Black
79. “You don’t always need a plan. Sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go and see what happens.” – Mandy Hale
80. “Slow down and everything you are chasing will come around and catch you.” – John De Paola
Breathe Quotes To Relieve Your Mind & Soul
81. “Breathe deeply, until sweet air extinguishes the burn of fear in your lungs and every breath is a beautiful refusal to become anything less than infinite.” — D. Antoinette Foy
82. “We breathe, we think, we conceive of our lives as narratives.” — Christopher Lehmann-Haupt
83. “Sometimes you just have to stop, take a deep breath, and put things into perspective.” — Katrina Mayer
84. “You will get there when you are meant to get there and not one moment sooner… so relax, breathe, and be patient” — Mandy Hale
85. “Breathe. This too will pass.” — Edward FitzGerald
86. “I will breathe. I will think of solutions. I will not let my worry control me. I will not let my stress level break me. I will simply breathe. And it will be okay. Because I won’t quit.” — Shayne McClendon
87. “Whenever you’re feeling down — just breathe. Everything will work its way out in the end.” — Johnny Lung
88. “Some things are out of your control, but not your breath.” — R.S. Grey
89. “Breathe. A great time to relax is when you don’t have time for it.” — Sydney Harris
90. “The breath is always present. It lives and dies so quickly it doesn’t have time to occupy thoughts.” ― Psil Silva
Which of these breathe quotes inspired you to meditation a part of your life?
The benefits of meditation are stated time and time again by scientists and dedicated meditators alike.
Many meditative practices focus on deep breathing.
If you have an extra five minutes to spare during your day, use it to practice a simple deep breathing exercise.
Take a deep breath in, slowly.
Pause for a second.
Then, slowly let it out.
Try silently counting to four during each inhale and exhale to become more aware of your breathing.
Today, take the time that you need to focus on your breathing and relax.
Which of these inspirational breathe quotes is your favorite?
Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST