Christmas Quotes And Sayings About Family And Love
January 24, 2023 9:00 AM EST
These Christmas quotes will help get you in the holiday spirit.
We often refer to Christmas as one of the most joyous times of the year.
Tell us in the comments below which of these Christmas quotes is your favorite.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What are the benefits of reading these Christmas quotes?
Many of us have special memories that evoke the true spirit of Christmas for us.
We have many traditions, customs, and games we play that are unique to our family.
While some cultures and areas may share some customs, there are also many to learn and embrace as we are exposed.
Growing up in a small Irish family, my first Filipino Christmas with my husband’s HUGE family was something to adjust to, but I have also grown to love deeply.
These Christmas quotes will make you want to share:
- the gift of giving and doing acts of kindness
- your time and resources with those you love
- the joy of your fun holiday traditions
One thing that seems to cross many barriers at this time of year is the most well-known Christmas quotes and sayings.
They make us laugh and smile while bringing us together.
Here are some of the best I could find.
If you love this quote collection, read out our most popular quote article about short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you need more inspirational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
You also enjoy our article on happy holiday quotes.
Christmas Quotes About Giving The Gift of Love
1. “Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love.” – Hamilton Wright Mabie
You will also enjoy our article on Grinch Quotes.
2. “Christmas, children, is not a date. It is a state of mind.” – Mary Ellen Chase
You will also enjoy our article on happy holidays quotes.
3. “Christmas is not as much about opening our presents as opening our hearts.” – Janice Maeditere
You will also enjoy our article on Polar Express quotes.
4. “Santa is very jolly because he knows where all the bad girls live.” – Dennis Miller
You will also enjoy our article on family quotes.
5. “I wish we could put up some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month.” – Harlan Miller
You will also enjoy our article on Bad Santa quotes.
6. “I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” – Charles Dickens
You will also enjoy our article on tree quotes.
7. “Christmas day is a day of joy and charity. May God make you very rich in both.” – Phillips Brooks
You will also enjoy our article on December quotes.
8. “Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas.” – Peg Bracken
You will also enjoy our article on Advent quotes.
9. “Teacher says every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings.” – Zuzu Bailey
You will also enjoy our article on Winter Solstice quotes.
10. “It is Christmas in the heart that puts Christmas in the air.” – William Thomas Ellis
11. “Christmas now surrounds us,
Happiness is everywhere
Our hands are busy with many tasks
As carols fill the air.” – Shirley Sallay
You will also enjoy our article on Elf quotes.
12. “Each sight, each sound of Christmas
And fragrances sublime
Make hearts and faces happy
This glorious Christmastime.” – Carice Williams
You will also enjoy our article on Dumb Dumber quotes.
13. “I like smiling, smiling’s my favorite.” – Buddy the Elf (my personal favorite)
You will also enjoy our article on September quotes.
14. “One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas Day. Don’t clean it up too quickly.” – Andy Rooney
15. “Love is what’s in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen.” – Author unknown, attributed to a 7-year-old named Bobby
16. “I sometimes think we expect too much of Christmas Day. We try to crowd into it the long arrears of kindliness and humanity of the whole year. As for me, I like to take my Christmas a little at a time, all through the year. And thus I drift along into the holidays – let them overtake me unexpectedly – waking up some fine morning and suddenly saying to myself: ‘Why, this is Christmas Day!’” – David Grayson
17. “Christmas is the season of joy, of holiday greetings exchanged, of gift-giving, and of families united.” – Norman Vincent Peale
18. “Christmas is most truly Christmas when we celebrate it by giving the light of love to those who need it most.” – Ruth Carter Stapleton
19. “Good news from heaven the angels bring,
Glad tidings to the earth they sing:
To us this day a child is given,
To crown us with the joy of heaven.” – Martin Luther
20. “The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.” – Burton Hillis
21. “Probably the reason we all go so haywire at Christmas time with the endless unrestrained and often silly buying of gifts is that we don’t quite know how to put our love into words.” – Harlan Miller
22. “Christmas waves a magic wand over the world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful.” – Norman Vincent Peale
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of funny Christmas quotes about the power of humor during the holiday.
More Joyous Christmas Quotes About Life and Love
23. “It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas;
Soon the bells will start,
And the thing that will make them ring
Is the carol that you sing
Right within your heart.” – Meredith Willson, It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas
24. “For centuries men have kept an appointment with Christmas. Christmas means fellowship, feasting, giving and receiving, a time of good cheer, home.” – W. J. Tucker
25. “Christmas is not just a time for festivity and merry making. It is more than that. It is a time for the contemplation of eternal things. The Christmas spirit is a spirit of giving and forgiving.” – J. C. Penney
26. “I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
27. “I love the Christmas-tide, and yet,
I notice this, each year I live;
I always like the gifts I get,
But how I love the gifts I give!” – Carolyn Wells
28. “Mankind is a great, an immense family. This is proved by what we feel in our hearts at Christmas.” – Pope John XXIII
29. “Let us have music for Christmas…
Sound the trumpet of joy and rebirth;
Let each of us try, with a song in our hearts,
To bring peace to men on earth.” – Mildred L. Jarrell
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Merry Christmas quotes that help us celebrate the holiday.
30. “Christmas is not a time or a season but a state of mind. To cherish peace and good will, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.” – Calvin Coolidge
31. “I don’t think Christmas is necessarily about things. It’s about being good to one another, it’s about the Christian ethic, it’s about kindness.” – Carrie Fisher
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Christian quotes that will uplift your spirits.
32. “What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. It is a fervent wish that every cup may overflow with blessings rich and eternal, and that every path may lead to peace.” – Agnes M. Pharo
33. “May Christmas lend a special charm
To all you chance to do.
And may the season light your way
To hopes and dreams anew.”- Garnett Ann Schultz, My Christmas Wish
34. “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas,
Just like the ones I used to know,
Where the tree tops glisten
And children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow.”- Irving Berlin
35. “I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” – Charles Dickens, Ebeneezer Scrooge, A Christmas Carol
36. “And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled ’till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.” – Dr. Seuss
37. “The merry family gatherings–
The old, the very young;
The strangely lovely way they
Harmonize in carols sung.
For Christmas is tradition time–
Traditions that recall
The precious memories down the years,
The sameness of them all.” – Helen Lowrie Marshall
38. “Christmas is forever, not for just one day,
for loving, sharing, giving, are not to put away
like bells and lights and tinsel, in some box upon a shelf.
The good you do for others is good you do yourself.” – Norman Wesley Brooks, Let Every Day Be Christmas
39. “This time of year means being kind
to everyone we meet,
To share a smile with strangers
we may pass along the street.” – Betty Black
You might also like these resurrection quotes to help rejuvenate your spirit.
Beautiful Christmas Quotes and Sayings
40. “Until one feels the spirit of Christmas, there is no Christmas. All else is outward display–so much tinsel and decorations. For it isn’t the holly, it isn’t the snow. It isn’t the tree not the firelight’s glow. It’s the warmth that comes to the hearts of men when the Christmas spirit returns again.” – Unknown
41. “There is a Christmas song upon the air,
There is a joy innate within the heart;
An inner sense of peace, a holy light
Illumines life and sets these days apart.” – Edna Greene Hines
42. “I am not alone at all, I thought. I was never alone at all. And that, of course, is the message of Christmas. We are never alone. Not when the night is darkest, the wind coldest, the world seemingly most indifferent. For this is still the time God chooses.” – Taylor Caldwell
43. “Christmas in Bethlehem. The ancient dream: a cold, clear night made brilliant by a glorious star, the smell of incense, shepherds and wise men falling to their knees in adoration of the sweet baby, the incarnation of perfect love.” – Lucinda Franks
If you’re enjoying this article, make sure to also check out these blessed quotes celebrating your everyday blessings.
44. “Are you willing to believe that love is the strongest thing in the world – stronger than hate, stronger than evil, stronger than death – and that the blessed life which began in Bethlehem nineteen hundred years ago is the image and brightness of the Eternal Love? Then you can keep Christmas.” – Henry Van Dyke
45. “Ask your children two questions this Christmas. First: What do you want to give to others for Christmas? Second: What do you want for Christmas? The first fosters generosity of heart and an outward focus. The second can breed selfishness if not tempered by the first.” – Author Unknown
46. “Bless us Lord, this Christmas, with quietness of mind; Teach us to be patient and always to be kind.” – Helen Steiner Rice
47. “Christmas! The very word brings joy to our hearts. No matter how we may dread the rush, the long Christmas lists for gifts and cards to be bought and given–when Christmas Day comes there is still the same warm feeling we had as children, the same warmth that enfolds our hearts and our homes.” – Joan Winmill Brown
48. “I wish we could put up some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month.” – Harlan Miller
49. “Christmas – that magic blanket that wraps itself about us, that something so intangible that it is like a fragrance. It may weave a spell of nostalgia. Christmas may be a day of feasting, or of prayer, but always it will be a day of remembrance – a day in which we think of everything we have ever loved.” – Augusta E. Rundel
50. “Christmas gift suggestions: to your enemy, forgiveness. To an opponent, tolerance. To a friend, your heart. To a customer, service. To all, charity. To every child, a good example. To yourself, respect.” – Oren Arnold
51. “Off to one side sits a group of shepherds. They sit silently on the floor, perhaps perplexed, perhaps in awe, no doubt in amazement. Their night watch had been interrupted by an explosion of light from heaven and a symphony of angels. God goes to those who have time to hear him–and so on this cloudless night he went to simple shepherds.” – Max Lucado
52. “Want to keep Christ in Christmas? Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, forgive the guilty, welcome the unwanted, care for the ill, love your enemies, and do unto others as you would have done unto you.” – Steve Maraboli
53. “Instead of being a time of unusual behavior, Christmas is perhaps the only time in the year when people can obey their natural impulses and express their true sentiments without feeling self-conscious and, perhaps, foolish. Christmas, in short, is about the only chance a man has to be himself.” – Francis C. Farley
54. “Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.” – Laura Ingalls Wilder
55. “I’m in love, I’m in Love, I’m on love, and I don’t care who knows it!” – Buddy the Elf
You might also like these Good Friday quotes that honor the day.
Funny Christmas Quotes
56. “There are three stages of man: he believes in Santa Claus; he does not believe in Santa Claus; he is Santa Claus.” – Bob Phillips
57. “Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love!” – Hamilton Wright Mabie
58. “Christmas: the only time of year you can sit in front of a dead tree eating candy out of socks.” – Anonymous
59. “The office Christmas party is a great opportunity to catch up with people you haven’t seen for 20 minutes.” – Julius Sharpe
60. “How do you know when Santa’s in the room? You can sense his presents.” – Unknown
61. “At Christmas, tea is compulsory. Relatives are optional.” – Robert Godden
62. “I’m releasing a holiday song called, “All I Want for Christmas is my Parents’ Freaking Wifi Password.” – Damien Fahey on Twitter
63. “Christmas is a magical time of year… I just watched all my money magically disappear.” – Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of magic quotes about the power of the unseen.
64. “Let’s be naughty and save Santa the trip.”– Gary Allan
65. “I love Christmas. I receive a lot of wonderful presents I can’t wait to exchange.” – Henny Youngman
Other beautiful Christmas Quotes
66. “Christmas gives us the opportunity to pause and reflect on the important things around us.” – David Cameron
67. “Christmas is a tonic for our souls. It moves us to think of others rather than of ourselves. It directs our thoughts to giving.” — B. C. Forbes
68. “Let us remember that the Christmas heart is a giving heart, a wide open heart that thinks of others first.” — George Matthew Adams
69. “There’s nothing cozier than a Christmas tree all lit up.” ― Jenny Han
70. “Christmas is a good time to take stock of our blessings.” — Pat Boone
71. “Every gift which is given, even though it be small, is in reality great, if it is given with affection.” – Pindar
72. “From home to home, and heart to heart, from one place to another. The warmth and joy of Christmas bring us closer to each other.” — Emily Matthews
73. “Christmas is a season not only of rejoicing but of reflection.” – Winston Churchill
74. “This is the message of Christmas: We are never alone.” – Taylor Caldwell
75. “Christmas is a day of meaning and traditions, a special day spent in the warm circle of family and friends.” — Margaret Thatcher
More Christmas quotes and sayings
76. “Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone.” – Charles M. Schulz
77. “He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree.” – Roy L. Smith
78. “If my Valentine you won’t be, I’ll hang myself on your Christmas tree.” – Ernest Hemingway
79. “Christmas is built upon a beautiful and intentional paradox; that the birth of the homeless should be celebrated in every home.” – G.K. Chesterton
80. “The smells of Christmas are the smells of childhood.” – Richard Paul Evans
81. “A lovely thing about Christmas is that it’s compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together.” – Garrison Keillor
82. “Christmas is a necessity. There has to be at least one day of the year to remind us that we’re here for something else besides ourselves.” – Eric Severeid
83. “It’s easier to feel a little more spiritual with a couple of bucks in your pocket.” – Craig Ferguson
84. “God put Santa Claus on earth to remind us that Christmas is supposed to be a happy time.” – Bil Keane
85. “Peace on earth will come to stay when we live Christmas every day.” – Helen Steiner Rice
Christmas quotes about the true meaning of Christmas
86. “To catch the real meaning of the “spirit of Christmas,” we need only drop the last syllable, and it becomes the ‘Spirit of Christ.'” – Thomas S. Monsoon
87. “Christmas is not for the gifts we exchange. It’s not about sleigh rides or sweet candy canes. Nay, Christmas is simple. A time to recall Christ’s gift of atonement He gave to us all.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
88. “If we do not set aside time to focus together on what God’s Word tells us about the promise of Christ, on Christmas morning we can find ourselves surrounded by mounds of torn gift wrap, our laps full of presents, but with hearts that are empty and unprepared.” – Nancy Guthrie
89. “There’s so much more to Christmas than what we see and hear on the radio and television. The whole thing is about Jesus.” – Billy Graham
90. “The very purpose of Christ’s coming into the world was that he might offer up his life as a sacrifice for the sins of men. He came to die. This is the heart of Christmas.” – Billy Graham
91. “All the Christmas presents in the world are worth nothing without the presence of Christ.” – David Jeremiah
92. “Every day is Christmas. Every day Christ embraces us with His love, peace and joy.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
93. “May the Christmas morning make us happy to be Thy children, and the Christmas evening bring us to our beds with grateful thoughts, forgiving and forgiven, for Jesus’ sake. Amen.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
94. “That is my prayer for you this Christmas—that you would experience the fullness of Christ… that you would be amazed that Christ can be so real to you.” – John Piper
95. “If we could condense all the truths of Christmas into only three words, these would be the words: ‘God with us.’” – John F. MacArthur
Christmas Quotes From Books
96. “The rooms were very still while the pages were softly turned and the winter sunshine crept in to touch the bright heads and serious faces with a Christmas greeting.” – Louisa May Alcott, Little Women
97. “Christmas will always be as long as we stand heart to heart and hand in hand.” – Dr. Seuss, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
98. “One can never have enough socks. Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn’t get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.” – J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
99. “Always winter but never Christmas.” – C. S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
100. “She lighted another match, and then she found herself sitting under a beautiful Christmas-tree… Thousands of tapers were burning upon the green branches, and colored pictures, like those she had seen in the show-windows, looked down upon it all. The little one stretched out her hand towards them, and the match went out.” – Hans Christian Andersen, The Little Match Girl
101. “The dance, like most dances after supper, was a merry one; some of the older folks joined in it, and the squire himself figured down several couple with a partner, with whom he affirmed he had danced at every Christmas for nearly half a century.” ―Washington Irving, Old Christmas
102. “At one time, most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed, it fell silent for all of them. Even Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its sweet sound. Though I’ve grown old, the bell still rings for me, as it does for all who truly believe.” – Chris Van Allsburg, The Polar Express
103. “I don’t want Christmas season to end, because it’s the only time I can legitimately indulge in on particular addiction: glitter.” Eloisa James, Paris in Love
104. “Christmas is like candy; it slowly melts in your mouth sweetening every taste bud, making you wish it could last forever.” – Richelle E. Goodrich, Smile Anway
105. “It was the beginning of the greatest Christmas ever. Little food. No presents. But there was a snowman in their basement.” – Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
Christmas quotes about Santa to spread the holiday cheer
106. “You better watch out, you better not cry, better not pout, I’m telling you why—Santa Claus is coming to town.” — Haven Gillespie
107. “Nobody shoots at Santa Claus.” – Samuel Butler
108. “The greatest thing is not to believe in Santa Claus; it is to be Santa Claus.” — Pat Boone
109. “Some people are born for Halloween, and some are just counting the days until Christmas.” – Stephen Graham Jones
110. “Santa Claus had the right idea. Visit people only once a year.” — Victor Borge
111. “I’m the only one who still believes in Santa Claus!” – Edith Piaf
112. “Oh, Christmas isn’t just a day, it’s a frame of mind.” — Kris Kringle from Miracle on 34th Street
113. “Everything that you want Santa to be, he is.” – Mick Foley
114. “The name is Bond … Santa Bond. I’ll have an eggnog, shaken, not stirred.” — Michael Scott
115. “Christmas is a time when everybody wants his past forgotten and his present remembered.” – Phyllis Diller
Christmas Quotes To Fill You With Joy
116. “Christmas is for everyone, adults and children alike. Allow this season fill your heart, and let go of the things you dislike.” — Julie Hebert
117. “Christmas is a magical time for both the young and old.” — Diane Cirafesi-Keszczyk
118. “I love the smell of Christmas trees, singing Christmas carols, baking my family’s favorite cookies, wrapping presents, and decorating my house!” — Debbie Trafton O’Neal
119. “The kind of love that was so intently demonstrated at Christmas is truly amazing and life changing.” — Jason C. Dukes
120. “Lights sparkle from streetlamps, Christmas trees and bicycles.” — Charlot King
121. “Nothing seems to bring people together like Christmas.” — Steven Dodrill
122. “Christmas is a special time of year when family and tradition blend together into magical holiday grandeur.” — Candy Christmas
123. “Christmas is a special time for joy.” — Dr. James Evans McReynolds
124. “It’s Christmas Time! It’s the most wonderful time of the year! It’s a season of love, joy, peace, and cheer!” — Dana Sheree Coe
125. “Christmas is a magical time whose spirit lives on in all of us no matter how old we grow.” — Sirona Knight
Festive and Inspiring Christmas Quotes to Spread Joy and Cheer
126. “Bringing the past and the present together with a tradition that was timeless to those who had grown up with Christmas tree.” ― Fred Neuschel
127. “Christmas is the season for giving. I always enjoy sharing the gift of music with friends, family, students and their parents during this special time.” ― Dennis Alexander
128. “We decorate our homes for this wonderful season. A large evergreen tree proudly stands in the main family room. Beautiful rainbow colored lights seem to dance to the tune of Christmas carols.” ― Theresa Ann
129. “Christmas was considered a magical time in which the normal rules of everyday life–indeed, even the rules of nature–were suspended.” ― Bernd Brunner
130. “Christmas tree will eventually be, emphasizing that it is a symbol of those who went before Christ, waiting.” ― Anne Neuberger
131. “Yet, the beautiful trees which we make a central feature of our Christmas celebration can be used as lovely symbols of Jesus and his coming to our world at the first Christmas.” ― Rev. Cecil Andrew Newell
132. “Christmas is a day of happiness and excitement.” ― Herbert Henry Wernecke
133. “It seemed like the little Christmas tree wasn’t so little after all. It seemed to grow taller and wider with all the decorations on it.” ― Paatricia Erickson
134. “Christmas is about giving gift to loved ones. It is one time of the year even the emotionally most inexpressive can send a sentimental Christmas card.” ― Pedro Hernandez
135. “Christmas is a season of celebrating the birth of our Savior and a time of sharing gifts with those we cherish and love.” ― Jack Countryman
Did these Christmas quotes brighten your celebrations?
Hopefully, they reminded you of the spirit of Christmas and put you in the mood for holiday cheer.
Maybe you can use some of these Christmas quotes in your family cards this year!
No matter how you observe Christmas, here’s to wishing you and your family a happy and healthy holiday.
Tell us your favorite Christmas memory in the comment section below, and share these Christmas quotes with your loved ones on social media.