It’s easy to get carried away with working towards success in your own life, but these giving quotes show that it truly is better to give than to receive.
There are many reasons why giving should be a major part of your life. While it’s true that giving opens up the door for you to receive more in your own life, that’s not the reason you should focus on giving.
Life is about so much more than obtaining for yourself. When you freely give to others, you are playing your part in the world.
It’s not about how much you give or what you give, it’s about the heart you have behind it all.
To inspire the spirit of generosity, below is our collection of heart-touching giving quotes and sayings.
Giving quotes that show how ithelps you
1. “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
2. “Giving opens the way for receiving.” – Florence Scovel Shinn
3. “Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.” – Robin Sharma
4. “Life is a boomerang. What you give, you get.” – Anonymous
5. “Also, remember that in relationships, you get what you give, so treat other people the way you’d like them to treat you.” – Gavin Bird
6. “You give to yourself by giving of yourself.” – Matt Kahn
7. “It seemed to me that the people who were genuinely thriving in their lives were the ones who had made room for well-being, wisdom, wonder, and giving.” – Arianna Huffington
8. “Only by giving are you able to receive more than you already have.” – Jim Rohn
9. “Happiness can be the result, not of spending more money on oneself, but rather of giving money away to others.” – Christian Smith
10. “You have to start giving first and expect absolutely nothing.” – Dalai Lama
Giving quotes that will inspire you to make a difference in the lives of others
11. “Happiness doesn’t result from what we get, but from what we give.” – Ben Carson
12. “To do more for the world than the world does for you – that is success.” – Henry Ford
13. “Presents are made for the pleasure of who gives them, not the merits of who receives them.” ― Carlos Ruiz Zafón
14. “As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way.” ― Mary Anne Radmacher
15. “Give cheerfully and freely. It is the energy behind the giving that matters so do not give grudgingly. The law of cause and effect guarantees that you shall receive plenty for what you give. – David Cameron Gikandi
16. “Giving freely and giving with a good heart, will never go unrewarded.” – James Clear
17. “Love only grows by sharing. You can only have more for yourself by giving it away to others.” ― Brian Tracy
18. “Giving to others will not take away from what you have but will in fact add to your life.” – Catherine Pulsifer
You might also like these powerful generosity quotes to inspire happiness.
Giving quotes that will inspire you to bring positive change to people, communities and society
19. “It’s not how much we give, but how much love we put into giving.” – Mother Teresa
20. “If you have much, give of your wealth; if you have little, give of your heart.” – Proverb
21. “I must be willing to give whatever it takes to do good to others. This requires that I be willing to give until it hurts. Otherwise, there is no true love in me, and I bring injustice, not peace, to those around me.” ― Mother Teresa
22. “When you start giving, instead of getting, you make a difference. You can always give a warm smile, a sincere hello, a positive vibe… your attention, your time, your love, and kindness to those around you.” ― Roy T. Bennett
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of good vibes quotes about feeling good.
23. “The greatest gift is a portion of thyself.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
24. “One must be poor to know the luxury of giving.” ― George Eliot
25. “You give but little when you give of your possessions.” – Unknown
26. “It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.” ― Kahlil Gibran
Giving quotes to inspire the spirit of generosity
27. “The moment practicing gratitude daily becomes a habit, you can start to incorporate gratitude for your future. You can start giving gratitude for things that you want but do not have yet.” – Gabor Cadman
28. “You cannot afford to leave out giving in your life plan. You cannot afford to leave it to chance occurrence.” – David Cameron Gikandi
29. “When you volunteer your time, donate funds, or provide acts of service, always give from your heart and give for the sake of giving.” – Heidi Catherine Culbertson
30. “If you knew what I know about the power of giving you would not let a single meal pass without sharing it in some way.” – Buddha
31. “The value of a man resides in what he gives and not in what he is capable of receiving.” – Albert Einstein
32. “Behold I do not give lectures or a little charity, when I give I give myself.” ― Walt Whitman
33. “Give, but give until it hurts.” ― Mother Teresa
34. “It’s easier to take than to give. It’s nobler to give than to take. The thrill of taking lasts a day. The thrill of giving lasts a lifetime.” ― Joan Marques
35. “Always give without remembering and always receive without forgetting.” ― Brian Tracy
Giving quotes to remind you that life is about how you help others
36. “At the end it’s not about what you have or even what you’ve accomplished. It’s about who you’ve lifted up, who you’ve made better. It’s about what you’ve given back.” – Denzel Washington
37. “There is a wonderful mythical law of nature that the three things we crave most in life — happiness, freedom, and peace of mind — are always attained by giving them to someone else.” – Peyton Conway March
38. “Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
39. “Think of giving not as a duty but as a privilege.” – John D. Rockefeller Jr.
40. “Give yourself entirely to those around you. Be generous with your blessings. A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal.” ― Steve Maraboli
41. “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” – Charles Dickens (see more Charles Dickens quotes)
42. “Always have a willing hand to help someone, you might be the only one that does.” ― Roy T. Bennett
43. “The most truly generous persons are those who give silently without hope of praise or reward.” ― Carol Ryrie Brink
44. “I don’t think you ever stop giving. I really don’t. I think it’s an on-going process. And it’s not just about being able to write a check. It’s being able to touch somebody’s life.” – Oprah Winfrey
Giving quotes to learn from
45. “The human contribution is the essential ingredient. It is only in the giving of oneself to others that we truly live.” – Ethyl Percy Andrus
46. “No one has ever become poor by giving.” – Anne Frank
47. “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Pablo Picasso
48. “You cannot receive what you don’t give. Outflow determines inflow.” – Eckhart Tolle
49. “When you learn, teach. When you get, give.” – Maya Angelou
50. “Whatever you think the world is withholding from you, you are withholding from the world.” – Eckhart Tolle
More giving quotes and sayings
51. “Success in life has nothing to do with what you gain in life or accomplish for yourself. It’s what you do for others.” – Danny Thomas
52. “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” – Thomas A. Edison
53. “Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go.” – Mother Teresa
54. “For it is in giving that we receive.” – Francis of Assisi
55. “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.” – Mao Zedong
56. “You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” – John Bunyan
57. “The miracle is this: the more we share the more we have.” – Leonard Nimoy
58. “You can give without loving, but you can never love without giving.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
59. “The fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose.” – George William Curtis
Don’t forget to also check out these community quotes on living for others.
Insightful giving quotes to ponder on
60. “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.” ― Roy T. Bennett
61. “The manner of giving is worth more than the gift.” ― Pierre Corneille
62. “It is wrong to ask for more than you give freely. In this way, we come to resemble what we hate.” ― Stephen R. Donaldson
63. “We are to give (and take) true love without falling into the narcissistic habit of only trying to take it in.” ― Criss Jami
64. “Getters don’t get–givers get.” ― Eugene Benge
65. “The best gift anyone can give, I believe, is the gift of sharing themselves.” ― Lisa Haisha
66. “Be grateful by giving to others.” ― George Stamatis
67. “Give all you can. Then nothing can be taken from you.” ― Brandon Jenner
68. “Giving is always a blessing; Generosity is always life-changing.” ― Todd Stocker
69. “Remain true. Stay focused on what you personally love. Align with what you are naturally drawn to. Believe in yourself and your own loves. Give what you have inside you. Give it bravely, and give it with good intent.” ― Donna Goddard
Take an example from those inhistory
Some of the greatest minds in history are quoted above sharing the importance of giving. People such as Anne Frank, Winston Churchill, Henry Ford, and Eleanor Roosevelt experienced it in their own lives and encouraged others to do the same.
When you are only focused on getting what you want, it will be hard to ever experience true happiness. But when you shift your focus from yourself to providing what you can for others, you will experience a new level of happiness in your own life.
Giving truly is better than receiving. Hopefully, these giving quotes have inspired you to take a step today and look for ways to help and give to those that are around you.
What other inspirational quotes would you add to the list? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it. Also, if you enjoyed reading these quotes about giving, be sure to share with your friends and followers.
April 25, 2022 5:00 AM EST