Check out these Jim Elliot quotes about an amazing man that chose to devote his life to spreading the word of God.
Jim Elliot was an American Christian missionary who lived his life telling people about the Good News of Jesus.
Elliot was raised in a Christian family and gave his life to Jesus when he was only six years old.
Elliot went on to live a life of serving God from then on.
Elliot is remembered for his wise words and quotes about Christianity, but most importantly, his undying love for God.
In 1956, at only 28 years old, Elliot lost his life after being killed by a Huaorani warrior on a missionary trip to Eastern Ecuador called Operation Auca.
While Jim Elliot’s life was short, his words and life were inspirational as evidenced by this collection of Jim Elliot quotes.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Read more related content on our inspirational quotes category page.
Inspirational Jim Elliot Quotes
How can you not be inspired by a man that was so true to God that he was willing to give his life? Check out the quotes below for more inspiration.
1. “God always gives His best to those who leave the choice with him.” – Jim Elliot
2. “Begin each day with private reading of the Word and prayer.” – Jim Elliot
3. “Lord, make my way prosperous, not that I achieve high station, but that my life may be an exhibit to the value of knowing God.” – Jim Elliot
4. “Missionaries are very human folks, just doing what they are asked. Simply a bunch of nobodies trying to exalt Somebody.” – Jim Elliot
5. “Coming home, we stopped for a bite to eat and ran into a confused waitress. Had a heart-rending time trying to speak the Words of Life to her, and as I think of all this country now, many just as confused and more so, I realized that the 39th Street bus is as much a mission field as Africa ever was.” – Jim Elliot
6. “We wouldn’t think of rising in the morning without a face wash, but we often neglect that purgative cleansing of the Word of the Lord. It wakes us up to our responsibility.” – Jim Elliot
7. “I may no longer depend on pleasant impulses to bring me before the Lord. I must rather respond to principles I know to be right, whether I feel them to be enjoyable or not.” – Jim Elliot
8. “Most laws condemn the soul and pronounce sentence. The result of the law of my God is perfect. It condemns but forgives. It restores – more than abundantly – what it takes away.” – Jim Elliot
9. “How wonderful to know that Christianity is more than a padded pew or a dim cathedral, but that it is a real, living, daily experience which goes on from grace to grace.” – Jim Elliot
10. “Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God.” – Jim Elliot
Jim Elliot Quotes On The Importance Of Jesus
Jim Elliot was a man that truly believed in Jesus and was going to spread his word as much as possible. Take a look at some of his quotes below.
11. “I only hope that He will let me preach to those who have never heard that name Jesus. What else is worthwhile in this life? I have heard of nothing better. ‘Lord, send me!'” – Jim Elliot
12. “Rest in this – it is His business to lead, command, impel, send, call… It is your business to obey, follow, move, respond…” – Jim Elliot
13. “The will of God is always a bigger thing than we bargain for, but we must believe that whatever it involves, it is good, acceptable, and perfect.” – Jim Elliot
14. “Always seek peace between your heart and God, but in this world, always be careful to remain ever-restless, never satisfied, and always abounding in the work of the Lord.” – Jim Elliot
15. “Live every day as if the Son of Man were at the door, and gear your thinking to the fleeting moment. Just how can it be redeemed? Walk as if the next step would carry you across the threshold of Heaven. Pray. That saint who advances on his knees never retreats.” – Jim Elliot
16. “God is still on His throne, we’re still on His’ footstool,’ and there’s only a knee’s distance between!” – Jim Elliot
17. “I seek not a long life, but a full one, like you Lord Jesus.” – Jim Elliot
18. “Unwillingness to accept God’s ‘way of escape’ from temptation frightens me – what a rebel yet resides within.” – Jim Elliot
19. “Why do you need a voice when you have a verse?” – Jim Elliot
20. “When it comes time to die, make sure that all you have to do is die.” – Jim Elliot
Did The Jim Elliot Quotes Inspire You?
After Jim’s death, his wife and other missionaries continued his work with the Huaorani people.
Many books were published about his life story, including Passion and Purpose, Jim Elliot: One Great Purpose, and Shadow of the Almighty: The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot.
A few of the books about Elliot’s life were written by his wife, Elisabeth Elliot, including the book Through Gates of Splendor, a book about Operation Auca.
Not only were books released about Jim Elliot and the story of Operation Auca, but movies were also released about the inspiring story.
In 2002, a documentary movie called Beyond the Gates of Splendor was released, with the documentary’s title taking inspiration from Elisabeth’s book.
The Jim Elliot quotes show that Jim was passionate enough about Jesus that he was willing to die for him.
Is there anything that you are passionate enough to die for?
Share with your friends and post comments below to keep the conversation going.
September 8, 2022 8:00 AM EST