Wise And Humorous Fortune Cookie quotes For The End Of The Perfect Meal
Crack open a smile with our fun fortune cookie quotes.
Fortune cookies have a surprising and fascinating history, and our fortune cookie quotes are equally as interesting.
You may also enjoy reading these related articles:
What are fortune cookies?
Fortune cookies are crispy, sweet Pacman-shaped treats commonly given at the end of a meal at a Chinese restaurant.
Check out these interesting fortune cookie quotes below:
- A fortune cookie contains about 107 calories.
- Three billion fortune cookies are produced annually.
- The Fortune Cookie Museum in Japan has over 40,000 cookies on display.
Where do fortune cookies come from?
The origin of the fortune cookie is steeped in mystery.
Food historians trace the history of the fortune cookie back to several different origin stories.
In the United States, where fortune cookies are very popular, many Americans associate fortune cookies with Chinese restaurants.
However, the history of the fortune cookie is traced back to nineteenth-century Japan and twentieth-century America.
Jennifer Lee is the author of The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Food.
Her book traces the history of the fortune cookie, and the origin story she recounts is interesting.
According to Lee, back in the 1870s, confectionery shops in Kyoto, Japan, produced a cracker with a folded message tucked inside.
These crackers were called the tsujiura senbei or fortune crackers; the crackers were folded over and contained a note inside, but that is where the similarities end.
These early crackers differed from the fortune cookies used in the United States.
The cookies we eat today are flavored with vanilla and butter.
The original crackers were larger, darker, and made with sesame and miso.
Historians have found storybooks from as early as 1878 with recipes and illustrations of apprentices who worked in senbei shops making fortune crackers.
When did fortune cookies come to the United States?
There are several historical accounts of how the fortune cookie made its way to the United States.
Japanese and Chinese people began to come to the United States in mass between the 1880s and early 1900s.
Many Chinese and Japanese laborers arrived in places like Hawaii and California.
One of the most popular origin stories of the fortune cookie is from San Francisco.
The Japanese Tea Garden claims to be the first restaurant ever to serve the sweet treat.
They also created a machine to mass produce the cookie in 1911.
In America, it was customary for restaurants to provide customers with mints or chocolates at the end of the meal.
As Chinese and Japanese food became more popular and businesses looked to expand, several Chinese restaurant owners began serving fortune cookies at the end of their meals.
The rest, as they say, is history.
For more fantastic content, check out our fortune cookie quotes below.
Quotes from Fortune Cookies about life and learning from our mistakes
Fortune cookies can make us smile or reflect deeply; here are some quintessential fortunes.
1. “Flattery will go far tonight.” — Fortune Cookie
2. “He who throws dirt is losing ground.” — Fortune Cookie
3. “Age is a high price to pay for maturity.” — Fortune Cookie
4. “He who laughs last is laughing at you.” — Fortune Cookie
5. “The older you get, the better you were.” — Fortune Cookie
6. “A fool and his money are soon partying.” — Fortune Cookie
7. “Do not mistake temptation for opportunity.” — Fortune Cookie
8. “Someone will invite you to a Karaoke party.” — Fortune Cookie
9. “Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.” — Fortune Cookie
10. “He who laughs at himself never runs out of things to laugh at.” — Fortune Cookie
Classic fortune cookie quotes that any foodie will love
Fortune cookies have become customary treats customers enjoy after a delicious meal.
Here are some classic fortune cookie messages.
11. “Your reality check is about to bounce.” — Fortune Cookie
12. “Live fast, die young but eat slowly.” — Fortune Cookie
13. “Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.” — Fortune Cookie
14. “The only difference between a rut and a grave is depth.” — Fortune Cookie
15. “Delight the world with compassion, kindness, and grace.” — Fortune Cookie
16. “When the blind are leading, the blind get out of the way.” — Fortune Cookie
7. “The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.” — Fortune Cookie
18. “Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.” — Fortune Cookie
19. “Some days you are the pigeon, some days you are the statue. Today, bring an umbrella.” — Fortune Cookie
20. “Be on the alert to recognize your prime at whatever time of your life it may occur.” — Fortune Cookie
Funny fortune cookie quotes to make you giggle
We all need to laugh, and these fortune cookie quotes will have you cracking up. [Get it, cracking up, like how you crack open a fortune cookie.]
21. “A closed mouth gathers no foot.” — Fortune Cookie
22. “A cynic is only a frustrated optimist.” — Fortune Cookie
23. “You will die alone and poorly dressed.” — Fortune Cookie
24. “The fortune you seek is in another cookie.” — Fortune Cookie
25. “If you look back, you’ll soon be going that way.” — Fortune Cookie
26. “You will live long enough to open many fortune cookies.” — Fortune Cookie
27. “An alien of some sort will be appearing to you shortly.” — Fortune Cookie
28. “A foolish man listens to his heart. A wise man listens to cookies.” — Fortune Cookie
29. “A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.” — Fortune Cookie
30. “A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.” — Fortune Cookie
Wise fortune cookie quotes about life you can learn from
Sometimes fortune cookies have the exact messages we need to read.
231. “Don’t behave with cold manners.” — Fortune Cookie
32. “Big journeys begin with a single step.” — Fortune Cookie
33. “You will be hungry again in one hour.” — Fortune Cookie
34. “It’s about time I got out of that cookie.” — Fortune Cookie
35. “Fortune not found? Abort, Retry, Ignore.” — Fortune Cookie
36. “Don’t forget you are always on our minds.” — Fortune Cookie
37. “Do the thing you fear, and the death of fear is certain.” — Fortune Cookie
38. “Of all our human resources, the most precious is the desire to improve.” — Fortune Cookie
39. “It takes less time to do a thing right than it does to explain why you did it wrong.” — Fortune Cookie
40. “The world may be your oyster, but it doesn’t mean you’ll get its pearl.” — Fortune Cookie
Hilarious fortune cookie quotes and sayings
Wisdom can come from anywhere, even inside a delicious cookie.
41. “Atheism no fun. No holidays.” — Fortune Cookie
42. “The greatest danger could be your stupidity.” — Fortune Cookie
43. “We don’t know the future, but here’s a cookie.” — Fortune Cookie
44. “Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.” — Fortune Cookie
45. “You have kleptomania. Take something for it.” — Fortune Cookie
46. “When marriage is outlawed, only outlaws have in-laws.” — Fortune Cookie
47. “Some men dream of fortunes, others dream of cookies.” — Fortune Cookie
48. “Fat people not afraid of heights, they’re afraid of widths.” — Fortune Cookie
49. “Politicians are like diapers: change often, and for the same reason.” — Fortune Cookie
50. “The person who gives themselves a haircut after rice wine will be buzzed.” — Fortune Cookie
Today fortune cookies are big business
The average fortune cookie writer can make up to 76 thousand dollars annually.
Over three billion fortune cookies are produced and shared with hungry customers annually.
Fortune cookies have had a long evolution of flavor.
From sesame a miso flavored crackers to the classic vanilla flavor, cookie makers have continued to push the limits of sweet treats.
Today, fortune cookies are found in various flavors, including chocolate, strawberry, green tea, and even mango.
Fortune cookies are no longer just for restaurants.
Many companies looking to increase their branding rely on fortune cookies to bring attention to their product.
You can find fortune cookies at car dealerships, laundromats, and even business offices.
Fortune cookies have been popular in America since World War I, and they continue as the end to the perfect meal.
Do you have a favorite fortune cookie quote?
If so, please, be sure to let us know in the comments below.