To have and to hold will have a whole new meaning once you read these motivational marriage quotes.
This special collection of quotes about marriage are meant to inspire both men and women in their journey of marriage with their best friend and life partner right there by their side.
When we get married and we say our vows, they almost invariably include the phrase, “for better or for worse”.
But what do people really mean by this?
Often, it feels like they assume that things will always be, “for better or for better,” and never consider how far they are willing to go if they are really challenged.
What if one of you loses your job for an extended length of time and the other must cover all household expenses?
What if you cannot have the children naturally that you always assumed you could?
What if one of you comes down with a serious or eventually fatal illness?
What if you experience the loss of a child together?
What if there is a case of infidelity, but the partner is genuinely remorseful and wants to work on the marriage?
What if the image you had for your life and your marriage is changed in an instant?
These are some deep questions to ask and be honest with ourselves about.
In search of some inspiration?
Here are several marriage quotes, marriage sayings, and marriage proverbs that might help give us some much-needed perspective and encouragement.
You might also like these love quotes for your husband to make him feel appreciated.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
Inspirational marriage quotes about love and commitment
1. “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
2. “There is no remedy for love but to love more.” – Henry David Thoreau
3. “Marriage is our last, best chance to grow up.” – Joseph Barth
4. “Love is not something you feel. It is something you do.” – David Wilkerson
5. “I first learned the concept of nonviolence in my marriage.” – Gandhi
6. “If I get married, I want to be very married.” – Audrey Hepburn
7. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLoughlin
8. “My husband and I have never considered divorce… murder sometimes, but never divorce.” – Joyce Brothers
9. “The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.” – Theodore Hesburgh
10. “A good husband makes a good wife.” – John Florio
Also, check out our list of the best bridal shower quotes about love and marriage.
Marriage Quotes About Teamwork
11. “Love at first sight is easy to understand; it’s when two people have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle.” – Sam Levenson
12. “Sexiness wears thin after a while and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that’s a real treat.” – Joanne Woodward
13. “A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ come together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.” – Dave Meur
14. “To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.” – Chinese Philosopher Lao Tzu
15. “The great secret of successful marriage is to treat all disasters as incidents and none of the incidents as disasters.” – Sir Harold George Nicolson
16. “Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.” – I Corinthians 13:7
17. “What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are, but how you deal with incompatibility.” – Leo Tolstoy
18. “Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow Internet to see who they really are.” – Will Ferrell
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Will Ferrell quotes to give you a good laugh.
19. “Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter for the other.
“Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth for the other.
“Now there is no more loneliness, for each of you will be companion for the other.
“Now you are two persons, but there is only one life before you.
“Go now to your dwelling place to begin the days of your life together.
“May your days together be good and long upon the earth.” – Apache Blessing
You might also like these heart-touching anniversary quotes for husbands.
Inspirational marriage quotes for him and her
20. “When a wife has a good husband, it is easily seen in her face.” – Goethe
21. “A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers.” – Robert Quillen
22. “I didn’t marry you because you were perfect. I didn’t even marry you because I loved you. I married you because you gave me a promise. That promise made up for your faults. And the promise I gave you made up for mine.
Two imperfect people got married and it was the promise that made the marriage. And when our children were growing up, it wasn’t a house that protected them; and it wasn’t our love that protected them – it was that promise.” – Thornton Wilder
23. “The goal in marriage is not to think alike, but to think together.” – Robert C. Dodds
24. “Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.” – Simone Signoret
25. “Happy marriages begin when we marry the ones we love, and they blossom when we love the ones we marry.” – Tom Mullen
26. “There is nothing nobler or more admirable than when two people who see eye to eye, keep house as man and wife, confounding their enemies and delighting their friends.” – Homer
27. “I got gaps; you got gaps; we fill each other’s gaps.” – Rocky
28. “You come to love not by finding the right person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly.” – Sam Keen
29. “You make me happier than I ever thought I could be and if you let me I will spend the rest of my life trying to make you feel the same way.” – Chandler proposing to Monica on ‘Friends’
Don’t forget these funny bridesmaid quotes as well.
Funny Marriage Quotes About Communication
30. “As for his secret to staying married: ‘My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me.’” – Jon Bon Jovi
31. “Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.” – Henry Ford
32. “Ultimately the bond of all companionship, whether in marriage or in friendship, is conversation.” – Oscar Wilde
33. “There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage.” – Martin Luther
34. “One advantage of marriage is that, when you fall out of love with him or he falls out of love with you, it keeps you together until you fall back in love again.” – Judith Viorst
35. “Love seems the swiftest but it is the slowest of all growths. No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century.” – Mark Twain
36. “More marriages might survive if the partners realize that sometimes, the better comes after the worse.” – Doug Larson
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these domestic violence quotes for support and strength.
Marriage quotes about happiness and positivity
37. “Happily ever after is not a fairy tale. It’s a choice.” – Fawn Weaver
38. “The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they’re right if you love to be with them all the time.” – Julia Child
39. “A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short.” – Andre Maurois
40. “Health is the first wealth, the second one is the happy marriage.” – Unknown
41. “Ultimately, my greatest achievement is maintaining my career while sustaining a happy marriage and kids.” –Melina Kanakaredes
42. “We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.” —Frederick Keonig
43. “A happy marriage is the world’s best bargain.” – O.A. Battista
44. “Marriage is getting to have a sleepover with your best friend every night of the week.” – Christie Cook
45. “A marriage is a gift. It should be opened up and enjoyed.” – Greg Evans
46. “Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife.” – Franz Schubert
Also read these wedding quotes on love, friendship and marriage.
Positive marriage quotes
47. “Marriage is a commitment- a decision to do, all through life, that which will express your love for one’s spouse.” – Herman H. Kieval
48. “You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly.” – Sam Keen
49. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLaughlin
50. “Any good marriage is secret territory, a necessary white space on society’s map. What others don’t know about it is what makes it yours.” —Stephen King, Bag of Bones
51. “People stay married because they want to, not because the doors are locked.” – Paul Newman
52. “A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.” – Dave Meurer
53. “Marriage provides the solace of worked-on friendship and the joy of being known profoundly.” – Imogen Stubbs
54. “The highest happiness on earth is the happiness of marriage.” – William Lyon Phelps
You might also like these magical falling in love quotes that prove just how incredible it is to find your special someone.
Beautiful marriage quotes
55. “Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife.” – Franz Schubert
56. “When we got married I told my wife ‘If you leave me, I’m going with you.’ And she never did.” — James Fineous McBride
57. “To keep your marriage brimming, With love in the loving cup, Whenever you’re wrong, admit it; Whenever you’re right, shut up.” — Ogden Nash
58. “What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility.” — Leo Tolstoy
59. “Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards.” – Benjamin Franklin
60. “Marriage is like a phone call in the night: first the ring, and then you wake up.” – Evelyn Hendrick
61. “A good marriage is where both people feel like they’re getting the better end of the deal.” ― Anne Lamott
62. “Marriage is a huge investment: of time, of energy and of emotion. Protect and keep contributing to your investment.” – Karen Gordon
You might also like these hug quotes for when you need one.
Inspirational marriage quotes
63. “Marriage is not a noun; it’s a verb. It isn’t something you get. It’s something you do. It’s the way you love your partner every day.” – Barbara De Angelis
64. “Marriage is good for those who are afraid to sleep alone at night.” – St. Jerome
65. “I know enough to know that no woman should ever marry a man who hated his mother.” ― Martha Gellhorn
66. “The older theory was, marry an older man because they’re more mature. But the new theory is men don’t mature. Marry a younger one.”— Rita Rudner
67. “By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll become happy; if you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.” ― Socrates
68. “Marriage is a form of discipline involving two people committing to a certain lifestyle and set of boundaries.” – David Khalil
69. “Marriage, at its core, is all about respect for the other person – and respect goes both ways.” – Dr. Kevin Leman
70. “Marriage, like a submarine, is only safe if you get all the way inside.” – Frank Pittman
Marriage quotes to strengthen your bond
71. “My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me.” – Winston Churchill
72. “In terms of my marriage, you know, falling in love with my husband was by far the best thing that’s ever happened to me.” – Caroline Kennedy
73. “Husband and wife relationships are like the relationship of Tom and Jerry. Though they are teasing and fighting, but can’t live without each other.” – Unknown
74. “The great marriages are partnerships. It can’t be a great marriage without being a partnership.” – Helen Mirren
75. “A good marriage is one which allows for change and growth in the individuals and in the way they express their love.” – Pearl S. Buck
76. “Experts on romance say for a happy marriage there has to be more than a passionate love. For a lasting union, they insist, there must be a genuine liking for each other. Which, in my book, is a good definition for friendship.” – Marilyn Monroe
77. “My husband has made me laugh. Wiped my tears. Hugged me tight. Watched me succeed. Seen me fail. Kept me strong. My husband is a promise that I will have a friend forever.” – Unknown
78. “Marriage is not about age; it’s about finding the right person.” – Sophia Bush
79. “There is no such cozy combination as man and wife.” – Menander
80. “Love is not weakness. It is strong. Only the sacrament of marriage can contain it.” – Boris Pasternak
81. “The secret to a happy marriage is if you can be at peace with someone within four walls, if you are content because the one you love is near to you, either upstairs or downstairs, or in the same room, and you feel that warmth that you don’t find very often, then that is what love is all about.” –Bruce Forsyth
82. “Don’t ever stop dating your wife and don’t ever stop flirting with your husband.” – Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of flirting quotes that will reignite the spark in your relationship.
83. “May this marriage be full of laughter, our every day in paradise.” – Rumi
84. “A good marriage is the union of two good forgivers.” – Ruth Bell Graham
85. “A great marriage isn’t something that just happens; it’s something that must be created.” – Fawn Weaver
Other marriage quotes and sayings
86. “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” – Jane Austen
87. “Marriage can wait, education cannot.” – Khaled Hosseini
88. “When in a relationship, a real man doesn’t make his woman jealous of others, he makes others jealous of his woman.” – Steve Maraboli
89. “You can measure the happiness of a marriage by the number of scars that each partner carries on their tongues, earned from years of biting back angry words.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
90. “The only way love can last a lifetime is if it’s unconditional. The truth is this: love is not determined by the one being loved but rather by the one choosing to love.” – Stephen Kendrick
91. “The problem with marriage is that it ends every night after making love, and it must be rebuilt every morning before breakfast.” – Gabriel García Márquez
92. “Getting married is like trading in the adoration of many for the sarcasm of one.” – Mae West
Make sure to read our collection of relationship quotes celebrating real love.
93. “Marrying means to halve one’s rights and double one’s duties.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
94. “Love is an act of endless forgiveness; a tender look which becomes a habit.” – Peter Ustinov
95. “Marriage should be between a spouse and a spouse, not a gender and a gender.” – Hendrik Hertzberg
Marriage quotes that will make you appreciate your spouse
96. “Marriages are like fingerprints; each one is different and each one is beautiful.” – Maggie Reyes
97. “The difference between an ordinary marriage and an extraordinary marriage is in giving just a little ‘extra’ every day, as often as possible, for as long as we both shall live.” – Fawn Weaver
98. “Marriage, ultimately, is the practice of becoming passionate friends.” – Harville Hendrix
99. “What greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined for life to strengthen each other in all labor, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in all pain, to be one with each other in silent, unspeakable memories at the moment of the last parting.” –George Eliot
100. “Show me a man who is smiling from ear-to-ear and living a beautiful life, and I’ll show you a man who is grateful for what he has and utterly in love with his wife.” – Fawn Weaver
101. “Marriage: If you want something to last forever, you treat it differently. You shield it and protect it. You don’t make it common or ordinary. If it ever becomes tarnished, you lovingly polish it until it gleams like new. It becomes special because you have made it so, and it grows more beautiful and precious as time goes by.” – F. Burton Howard
102. “We had a happy marriage because we were together all the time. We were friends as well as husband and wife. So we just had a good time.” –Julia Child
103. “Your marriage is a glorious bond but don’t take it as an easy task. It is meant to be worked upon – similar to all of your other relationships.” -Raymond Eido
104. “Marriage is a gift from God to us. The quality of our marriage is our gift back to him.” -L. Whitney Clayton
105. “Marriage is a mosaic you build with your spouse. Millions of tiny moments that create your love story.” -Jennifer Smith
Short but Meaningful Marriage Quotes
106. “An ideal wife is any woman who has an ideal husband.” – Booth Tarkington
107. “A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband.” – Michel de Montaigne
108. “My advice to you is to get married. If you find a good wife, you’ll be happy; if not, you’ll become a philosopher.” – Socrates
109. “My wife is my soul mate. I can’t imagine being without her.” – Matt Damon
110. “Love: A temporary insanity curable by marriage.” – Ambrose Bierce
111. “Love is moral even without legal marriage, but marriage is immoral without love.” – Ellen Key
112. “When you make the sacrifice in marriage, you’re sacrificing not to each other but to unity in a relationship.” – Joseph Campbell
113. “Married men live longer than single men. But married men are a lot more willing to die.” – Johnny Carson
114. “Marriage is an attempt to solve problems together which you didn’t even have when you were on your own.” – Eddie Cantor
115. “Marriage should be a duet – when one sings, the other claps.” – Joe Murray
Insightful Marriage Quotes
116. “And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.” – The Beatles
117. “Love is a lot like a backache. It doesn’t show up on X-Rays but you know it’s there.” – George Burns
118. “Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart, and the sense.” – Lao Tzu
119. “At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.” – Plato
120. “To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.” – Anatole France
121. “…true love is never blind, but rather brings an added light.” – Phoebe Cary
122. “True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
123. “If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you. When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me.” – Led Zeppelin
124. “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” – Aristotle
125. “Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.” – Diane Johnson
Marriage Quotes To Make Your Union Last Long
126. “A marriage doesn’t have to be perfect, but you can be perfect for each other.” — Jessica Simpson
127. “I love being married. It’s so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” — Rita Rudner
128. “If there is such a thing as a good marriage, it is because it resembles friendship rather than love.” ― Michel de Montaigne
129. “Become the kind of person the kind of person you would like to marry would like to marry.” ― Douglas Wilson
130. “My wife and I tried to have breakfast together, but we had to stop or our marriage would have been wrecked.” ― Winston S. Churchill
131. “Marriage, in my view, should be a balanced stalemate between equal adversaries.” ― Elizabeth Peters
132. “Marriage is about compromise; it’s about doing something for the other person, even when you don’t want to.” ― Nicholas Sparks
133. “Marriage becomes hard work once you have poured the entirety of your life’s expectations for happiness into the hands of one mere person. Keeping that going is hard work.” ― Elizabeth Gilbert
134. “Marriage is a partnership, not a democracy.” ― Nicholas Sparks
135. “Compromise, communicate, and never go to bed angry – the three pieces of advice gifted and regifted to all newlyweds.” ― Gillian Flynn
Marriage Quotes To Keep Your Union Last Forever
136. “Marriage is another momentous life change. Choose right, and it might be the most positive decision you ever make.” — Patrick Foley
137. “In other relationships, people are different entities but in marriage, the couple is considered as one. This is what makes marriage a different kind of bond.” — Mark McGrann
138. “In the art of marriage the little things are the big things.” — Wilfred Peterson
139. “Simply put, a marriage is not a marriage without the existence of two individuals who promised to love each other.” — Jessica Gardner
140. “Then if marriage is not a contract, what is it? It is an unconditional commitment into which a man and woman enter for life.” — H. Norman Wright
141. “Marriage is a beautiful relationship that unifies two individuals, binding them together through their commitment.” — Jennifer Smith
143. “Marriage is about being a team.” — Elijah Davidson
143. “If there is any skill needed by both persons in a marriage, it is the skill of listening.” — John Savage
144. “When two people become one flesh by way of marriage, it is not only their hearts that are united, but their minds and souls as well.” — Julie Donner Andersen
145. “No matter what the two of you have to face, it is possible to get through it together as long as you both have confidence in the marriage and in one another.”— Tyler Green
What did you think of these marriage quotes?
How often in life do we find that the greatest rewards are just after the point when we almost gave up?
If you are willing to work hard and not give up on love, you may find greater rewards than you had ever imagined.
Marriage is work, there’s no denying that.
But if both parties are willing to commit and stay committed, it’s a partnership that will last a lifetime.
How did you find these marriage quotes?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
November 18, 2022 5:00 AM EST