To have and to hold will have a whole new meaning once you read these motivational marriage quotes.
This special collection of quotes about marriage are meant to inspire both men and women in their journey of marriage with their best friend and life partner right there by their side.
When we get married and we say our vows, they almost invariably include the phrase, “for better or for worse”.
But what do people really mean by this?
Often, it feels like they assume that things will always be, “for better or for better,” and never consider how far they are willing to go if they are really challenged.
What if one of you loses your job for an extended length of time and the other must cover all household expenses?
What if you cannot have the children naturally that you always assumed you could? What if one of you comes down with a serious or eventually fatal illness? What if you experience the loss of a child together?
What if there is a case of infidelity, but the partner is genuinely remorseful and wants to work on the marriage?
What if the image you had for your life and your marriage is changed in an instant?
These are some deep questions to ask and be honest with ourselves about.
In search of some inspiration?
Here are several marriage quotes, marriage sayings, and marriage proverbs that might help give us some much-needed perspective and encouragement.
Inspirational marriage quotes about love and commitment
1. “To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.” – Chinese Philosopher Lao Tzu
2. “Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter for the other.
“Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth for the other.
“Now there is no more loneliness, for each of you will be companion for the other.
“Now you are two persons, but there is only one life before you.
“Go now to your dwelling place to begin the days of your life together.
“May your days together be good and long upon the earth.” – Apache Blessing
3. “I first learned the concept of nonviolence in my marriage.” – Gandhi
4. “You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly.” – Sam Keen
5. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLoughlin
6. “My husband and I have never considered divorce… murder sometimes, but never divorce.” – Joyce Brothers
7. “The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.” – Theodore Hesburgh
8. “Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.” – Simone Signoret
9. “Happy marriages begin when we marry the ones we love, and they blossom when we love the ones we marry.” – Tom Mullen
10. “My advice to you is to get married. If you find a good wife, you’ll be happy; if not, you’ll become a philosopher.” – Socrates
Also check out our list of the best bridal shower quotes about love and marriage.
Marriage Quotes About Teamwork
11. “Love at first sight is easy to understand; it’s when two people have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle.” – Sam Levenson
12. “Sexiness wears thin after a while and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that’s a real treat.” – Joanne Woodward
13. “A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ come together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.” – Dave Meur
14. “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
15. “The great secret of successful marriage is to treat all disasters as incidents and none of the incidents as disasters.” – Sir Harold George Nicolson
16. “Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.” – I Corinthians 13:7
17. “What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are, but how you deal with incompatibility.” – Leo Tolstoy
18. “Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow Internet to see who they really are.” – Will Ferrell
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Will Ferrell quotes to give you a good laugh.
19. “There is no remedy for love but to love more.” – Henry David Thoreau
Inspirational marriage quotes for him and her
20. “When a wife has a good husband, it is easily seen in her face.” – Goethe
21. “A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers.” – Robert Quillen
22. “I didn’t marry you because you were perfect. I didn’t even marry you because I loved you. I married you because you gave me a promise. That promise made up for your faults. And the promise I gave you made up for mine.
Two imperfect people got married and it was the promise that made the marriage. And when our children were growing up, it wasn’t a house that protected them; and it wasn’t our love that protected them – it was that promise.” – Thornton Wilder
23. “The goal in marriage is not to think alike, but to think together.” – Robert C. Dodds
24. “Marriage is our last, best chance to grow up.” – Joseph Barth
25. “Love is not something you feel. It is something you do.” – David Wilkerson
26. “There is nothing nobler or more admirable than when two people who see eye to eye, keep house as man and wife, confounding their enemies and delighting their friends.” – Homer
27. “I got gaps; you got gaps; we fill each other’s gaps.” – Rocky
28. “You come to love not by finding the right person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly.” – Sam Keen
29. “You make me happier than I ever thought I could be and if you let me I will spend the rest of my life trying to make you feel the same way.” – Chandler proposing to Monica on ‘Friends’
Don’t forget these funny bridesmaid quotes as well.
Funny Marriage Quotes About Communication
30. “As for his secret to staying married: ‘My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me.’” – Jon Bon Jovi
31. “Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.” – Henry Ford
32. “Ultimately the bond of all companionship, whether in marriage or in friendship, is conversation.” – Oscar Wilde
33. “There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage.” – Martin Luther
34. “One advantage of marriage is that, when you fall out of love with him or he falls out of love with you, it keeps you together until you fall back in love again.” – Judith Viorst
35. “Love seems the swiftest but it is the slowest of all growths. No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century.” – Mark Twain
36. “More marriages might survive if the partners realize that sometimes, the better comes after the worse.” – Doug Larson
Marriage quotes about happiness and positivity
37. “Happily ever after is not a fairy tale. It’s a choice.” – Fawn Weaver
38. “The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they’re right if you love to be with them all the time.” – Julia Child
39. “A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short.” – Andre Maurois
40. “Health is the first wealth, the second one is the happy marriage.” – Unknown
41. “Ultimately, my greatest achievement is maintaining my career while sustaining a happy marriage and kids.” –Melina Kanakaredes
42. “We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.” —Frederick Keonig
43. “A happy marriage is the world’s best bargain.” – O.A. Battista
44. “Marriage is getting to have a sleepover with your best friend every night of the week.” – Christie Cook
45. “A marriage is a gift. It should be opened up and enjoyed.” – Greg Evans
46. “Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife.” – Franz Schubert
Also read these wedding quotes on love, friendship and marriage.
Positive marriage quotes
47. “Marriage is a commitment- a decision to do, all through life, that which will express your love for one’s spouse.” – Herman H. Kieval
48. “If I get married, I want to be very married.” – Audrey Hepburn
49. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLaughlin
50. “Any good marriage is secret territory, a necessary white space on society’s map. What others don’t know about it is what makes it yours.” —Stephen King, Bag of Bones
51. “People stay married because they want to, not because the doors are locked.” – Paul Newman
52. “A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.” – Dave Meurer
53. “Marriage provides the solace of worked-on friendship and the joy of being known profoundly.” – Imogen Stubbs
54. “The highest happiness on earth is the happiness of marriage.” – William Lyon Phelps
Beautiful marriage quotes
55. “Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife.” – Franz Schubert
56. “When we got married I told my wife ‘If you leave me, I’m going with you.’ And she never did.” — James Fineous McBride
57. “To keep your marriage brimming, With love in the loving cup, Whenever you’re wrong, admit it; Whenever you’re right, shut up.” — Ogden Nash
58. “What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility.” — Leo Tolstoy
59. “Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards.” – Benjamin Franklin
60. “Marriage is like a phone call in the night: first the ring, and then you wake up.” – Evelyn Hendrick
61. “A good marriage is where both people feel like they’re getting the better end of the deal.” ― Anne Lamott
62. “Marriage is a huge investment: of time, of energy and of emotion. Protect and keep contributing to your investment.” – Karen Gordon
Inspirational marriage quotes
63. “Marriage is not a noun; it’s a verb. It isn’t something you get. It’s something you do. It’s the way you love your partner every day.” – Barbara De Angelis
64. “Marriage is good for those who are afraid to sleep alone at night.” – St. Jerome
65. “I know enough to know that no woman should ever marry a man who hated his mother.” ― Martha Gellhorn
66. “The older theory was, marry an older man because they’re more mature. But the new theory is men don’t mature. Marry a younger one.”— Rita Rudner
67. “By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll become happy; if you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.” ― Socrates
68. “Marriage is a form of discipline involving two people committing to a certain lifestyle and set of boundaries.” – David Khalil
69. “Marriage, at its core, is all about respect for the other person – and respect goes both ways.” – Dr. Kevin Leman
70. “Marriage, like a submarine, is only safe if you get all the way inside.” – Frank Pittman
Marriage quotes to strengthen your bond
71. “My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me.” – Winston Churchill
72. “In terms of my marriage, you know, falling in love with my husband was by far the best thing that’s ever happened to me.” – Caroline Kennedy
73. “Husband and wife relationships are like the relationship of Tom and Jerry. Though they are teasing and fighting, but can’t live without each other.” – Unknown
74. “The great marriages are partnerships. It can’t be a great marriage without being a partnership.” – Helen Mirren
75. “A good marriage is one which allows for change and growth in the individuals and in the way they express their love.” – Pearl S. Buck
76. “Experts on romance say for a happy marriage there has to be more than a passionate love. For a lasting union, they insist, there must be a genuine liking for each other. Which, in my book, is a good definition for friendship.” – Marilyn Monroe
77. “My husband has made me laugh. Wiped my tears. Hugged me tight. Watched me succeed. Seen me fail. Kept me strong. My husband is a promise that I will have a friend forever.” – Unknown
78. “Marriage is not about age; it’s about finding the right person.” – Sophia Bush
79. “There is no such cozy combination as man and wife.” – Menander
80. “Love is not weakness. It is strong. Only the sacrament of marriage can contain it.” – Boris Pasternak
81. “The secret to a happy marriage is if you can be at peace with someone within four walls, if you are content because the one you love is near to you, either upstairs or downstairs, or in the same room, and you feel that warmth that you don’t find very often, then that is what love is all about.” –Bruce Forsyth
82. “Don’t ever stop dating your wife and don’t ever stop flirting with your husband.” – Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of flirting quotes that will reignite the spark in your relationship.
83. “May this marriage be full of laughter, our every day in paradise.” – Rumi
84. “A good marriage is the union of two good forgivers.” – Ruth Bell Graham
85. “A great marriage isn’t something that just happens; it’s something that must be created.” – Fawn Weaver
Other marriage quotes and sayings
86. “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” – Jane Austen
87. “Marriage can wait, education cannot.” – Khaled Hosseini
88. “When in a relationship, a real man doesn’t make his woman jealous of others, he makes others jealous of his woman.” – Steve Maraboli
89. “You can measure the happiness of a marriage by the number of scars that each partner carries on their tongues, earned from years of biting back angry words.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
90. “The only way love can last a lifetime is if it’s unconditional. The truth is this: love is not determined by the one being loved but rather by the one choosing to love.” – Stephen Kendrick
91. “The problem with marriage is that it ends every night after making love, and it must be rebuilt every morning before breakfast.” – Gabriel García Márquez
92. “Getting married is like trading in the adoration of many for the sarcasm of one.” – Mae West
93. “Marrying means to halve one’s rights and double one’s duties.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
94. “Love is an act of endless forgiveness; a tender look which becomes a habit.” – Peter Ustinov
95. “Marriage should be between a spouse and a spouse, not a gender and a gender.” – Hendrik Hertzberg
What did you think of these marriage quotes?
How often in life do we find that the greatest rewards are just after the point when we almost gave up?
If you are willing to work hard and not give up on love, you may find greater rewards than you had ever imagined.
Marriage is work, there’s no denying that. But if both parties are willing to commit and stay committed, it’s a partnership that will last a lifetime.
How did you find these marriage quotes? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
March 17, 2021 6:00 AM EST