If you’re struggling with infertility, you’re not alone as these infertility quotes show.
There are many challenges that arise in life that we can plan for. Infertility is not an issue that people usually expect to face or prepare for.
Typically when someone finds out they’re struggling with it, it’s in the midst of trying to have a baby, which leads to a lot of difficult emotions.
You may feel scared or worried. You may feel disappointed and angry. And you may feel all alone in your struggles.
But the truth is that you’re not alone and there are many others who know exactly what you’re going through, as these infertility quotes will show.
Don’t forget to also check out these heartfelt quotes on life, love, and relationships.
Infertility quotes about disappointment
1. “After a while, when you’re not successful, you start to associate the word ‘failure’ every time you pee on a stick and it doesn’t come out the right color. What starts out as a dream becomes a project that’s all-consuming — everywhere you look, women are pregnant, and every song on the radio seems like it’s all about being pregnant! It becomes a very frustrating, frightening place.”– Brooke Shields
2. “I found that each time a test was negative, it stopped the dreaming and hoping for a while. Taking the test was a way of puncturing the balloons of hope because if I didn’t, they would lift and lift without any evidence, and their falling back down every month was too painful. Essentially, I took all these tests to keep myself from hoping, because the hoping was breaking my heart.”– Shauna Niequist
3. “Sometimes it’s hard to see the rainbow when there’s been endless days of rain.”– Christina Greer
4. “Anyone that’s been in the place of wanting another child or wanting a child knows the disappointment, the pain, and the loss that you go through trying and struggling with fertility.”– Nicole Kidman
5. “The world was selfish, unjust. How could so many undeserving people be given the opportunity to raise children they didn’t even want while so many worthy individuals didn’t get the chance?”― Brittainy C. Cherry
6. “Something significant in me snapped when I miscarried; that something hadn’t unsnapped yet. It hadn’t been put back together and I was afraid it never would. I knew Jesus was with me, but my insides twirled threatening to take me down from the inside out. I knew He was with me, giving me permission to be in the broken parts of my story…”- Natalie Brenner
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of miscarriage quotes to help comfort the loss.
7. “Just because someone is blessed to have one child doesn’t mean that secondary infertility is an easy pill to swallow.” – Nikki Parnell
8. “They don’t get the particular nature of this grief, how it’s less about the loss of a potential child than it is about the endless possibility that there may yet be an actual child.” – Alexandra Kimball
9. “It’s not that motherhood is out of reach, it’s that it’s just out of reach. It’s not that motherhood didn’t happen, it’s that it almost did and, in fact, still could. The difference between the grief of infertility and other reasons for mourning – the loss of a spouse, for example – is in that promise of ‘just,’ in ‘almost,’ in ‘still could.” – Alexandra Kimball
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of motherhood quotes to celebrate the most special woman in the universe.
10. “It is one thing, I was discovering, to think, “Maybe I won’t have kids,” and quite another to be told, “Maybe you can’t.” This is how impatience turns to desperation.”- Peggy Orenstein
Infertility quotes that will encourage you to keep trying
11. “What if infertility isn’t a war but an awakening? What if it’s not about death but about a renaissance?”- Rekha Ramcharan
12. “A goal without a plan is just a wish.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
13. “Your hardest times often lead to the greatest moments of your life. Keep going. Tough situations build strong people in the end.” ― Roy T. Bennett
14. “You’re a fighter. Think about everything you’ve overcome. Don’t give up now.” – Olivia Benson
15. “Fall seven times, stand up eight.”– Japanese Proverb
16. “..Weeping may stay for the night, but joy comes in the morning.” – Psalm 30:5
17. “It’s going to be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.” – Anonymous
18. We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.”- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
19. “Let your hopes, not your hurts, shape your future.” – Robert H. Schuller
20. “A strong woman looks a challenge dead in the eye and gives it a wink.” — Gina Carey
Infertility quotes about the pain
21. “There’s a unique pain that comes from preparing a place in your heart for a child that never comes.” — David Platt
22. “I was pregnant for the first time and I heard the heartbeat, which was the most beautiful music I ever heard in my life. I picked out names; I envisioned what my child would look like… I was feeling very maternal. I flew back to New York to get my checkup — and no heartbeat. Literally, the week before I went to the doctor, everything was fine, but there was no heartbeat. I went into the studio and wrote the saddest song I’ve ever written in my life. And it was actually the first song I wrote for my album. And it was the best form of therapy for me because it was the saddest thing I’ve ever been through.” — Beyonce
23. “Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.” — Suzy Kassem
24. Going through years-long infertility struggles is not for the faint of heart. It can either make or break your marital relationship. Make the determined commitment that no matter what happens, you and your husband were…and are a couple first.” — Cheryl
25. “Infertility is this huge emotional roller coaster. If you want in your heart more than anything to have a baby, it’s the hardest thing you will ever go through physically, emotionally, and financially.” — Cindy Margolis
26. “The English language lacks the words to mourn an absence. For the loss of a parent, grandparent, spouse, child or friend, we have all manner of words and phrases, some helpful, some not. Still, we are conditioned to say something, even if it is only “I’m sorry for your loss.” But for an absence, for someone who was never there at all, we are wordless to capture that particular emptiness. For those who deeply want children and are denied them, those missing babies hover like silent ephemeral shadows over their lives. Who can describe the feel of a tiny hand that is never held?” — Laura Bush
27. “Infertility often comes with grief and loss. You have to let go of the vision of how long the journey will be and learn to flow and become stronger through the process.” — Halle Tecco
28. “I found that each time a test was negative, it stopped the dreaming and hoping for a while. Taking the test was a way of puncturing the balloons of hope because if I didn’t, they would lift and lift without any evidence, and their falling back down every month was too painful. Essentially, I took all these tests to keep myself from hoping, because the hoping was breaking my heart.” — Shauna Niequist
29. I learned that all pain and loss is, in fact, a gift. Having miscarriages taught me that I had to mother myself before I could be a mother to someone else.” — Beyonce
30. “Infertility is a disease…just like diabetes or cancer. Telling someone with infertility to “just relax & you will get pregnant” is the same as telling someone with cancer to “Just relax & you will be healed.”- Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of pregnancy quotes celebrating the pregnancy process.
Infertility quotes to give you hope
31. “Even miracles take a little time.” —Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother
32. “There is purpose in your season of waiting.” —Megan Smalley
33. “No matter what joy your past choices have brought you, you can still have this experience – it’s not greedy to ask for it. And no matter what pain, sorrow or loss your past has brought you, you can still choose to be a mother – you’re not being punished.”- Rekha Ramcharan
34. “Infertility often comes with grief and loss. You have to let go of the vision of how long the journey will be and learn to flow and become stronger through the process.”– Halle Tecco
35. “I was taught the way of progress is neither swift nor easy.” — Marie Curie
36. “What feels like the end is often the beginning.” —Anonymous
37. “Hope is the only thing stronger than fear.” —The Hunger Games
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of The Hunger Games quotes that will have you flashback to reading the books or watching the movies.
38. Even if it has not been your habit throughout your life so far, I recommend that you learn to think positively about your body.” — Ina May Gaskin
39. “As long as we are persistent in the pursuit of our deepest destiny, we will continue to grow. We cannot choose the day or time when we will fully bloom. It happens on its own.” — Denis Waitley
40. “…hope is never wasted. Even if what I hoped for did not come to fruition as I had imagined, as I had hoped. Hope is placing the beautifully vulnerable parts of ourselves, our raw selves, into His hands. I believe hope moves His heart; but hope also moves our hearts into His hands. Hope builds trust.”― Natalie Brenner
Insightful infertility quotes
41. “People talk about the miracle of birth. No. There’s the miracle of conception. I did IVF, but nothing happened. So I began to think of adoption, and then I got pregnant. It was definitely a miracle.” — Iman
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of adoption quotes about the power of expanding your family and helping others.
42. “Your worth is not determined by your fertility.”– Anonymous
43. “A baby fills a place in your heart that you never knew was empty.” —Anonymous
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of baby quotes that new parents can relate to.
44. “Life is tough, my darling, but so are you.” — Stephanie Bennett-Henry
45. “Infertility is a loss. It’s the loss of a dream. It’s the loss of an assumed future. And, like every loss, it will be grieved.” – Unknown
46. “If there’s anyone out there who is trying and they’re just losing hope…just hang in there. Try every avenue; try anything you can do, ’cause you’ll get there. You’ll end up with a family, and it’s so worth it. It is the most ‘worth it’ thing.” – Jimmy Fallon
47. “I’m not waiting for the stars to align… just my hormones.”- Unknown
48. “As the general population grows in awareness and education, the sharp edges of infertility are softened as judgement is replaced with compassion and loneliness is replaced with comfort.” – Charis Boone Johnson
49. “Struggling with infertility is like dealing with the five stages of grief every single month. You deny, bargain, get angry, cry and accept. Then you pick yourself back up and do it all over again.”- Unknown
50. “When you’re struggling with infertility…”Everything happens for a reason” is exactly what you don’t want to hear”-Unknown
More infertility quotes and sayings
51. “…with a baby or without, you are valuable, you are whole, and you matter…” – Unknown
52. “Infertility is not the endpoint in the yearning to be parents.” – Margarita Martinez Meza
53. “A blessed home is not a home full of kids, but a home where there is peace, harmony and understanding.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
54. “Why children are not born from love? Because there is no logic in the world. There are just cases.” – Karina Savaryna
55. “Sometimes when life doesn’t work out as you planned, there is a greater force at work.” – Deanna Kahler
56. “Adoption is a beautiful, burdensome blessing.” – Jody Cantrell Dyer
57. “Learn to see the gift in adversity. By doing this you will begin to find true peace in your struggle.” – Stacey Urrutia
58. “When you’re feeling your worst, that’s when you get to know yourself the best.” – Leslie Grossman
59. “I hope every woman out there who wants to be a mother and is suffering with infertility, will explore all the options and know that if you choose the science route, it is okay.” – Cindy Margolis
60. “One of the things we’ve always tried to do is help others with our story. Whether it’s with the infertility issues, whether it’s with the breast cancer, we said we’re gonna turn these negatives into positives. And if we can help others by sharing our story, then it’s worth it.” – Bill Rancic
61. “When you think about the concept of infertility, for example, it’s not just medical; it’s a repository of so many personal and societal meanings – religious, legal, sexual – encompassing mortality and sin and family and eternity.” – Monica Youn
More infertility quotes that will make you think
62. “On a planet where for thousands of years, even today, a woman’s worth has been judged exclusively by the productivity of her womb, what the hell is the point of a barren woman?” ― Elissa Stein and Susan Kim
63. “Is there any point in breathing if this is what the world is asking me to face?’ You think to yourself. Somehow though, whether through madness or magic, you find a way to. You keep breathing even when you don’t think you can. You surprise yourself.” ― Jodi Sky Rogers
64. “Is there anyone dearer than the children of people you love, especially when you don’t have your own?” ― Lisa Unger
65. “What nobody tells you is that miscarriage happens all the time, to more women than you’d ever guess, given the relative silence around it.” ― Michelle Obama
66. “Throughout my life, there were a few hard days. Days where even when I tried to be happy, my heart still cracked, and Mother’s Day was one of those. For others, it stood as a celebration. For me, it spoke of loss and failure.” ― Brittainy C. Cherry
67. “For many men it is very difficult to accept and understand Infertility. They think only women can be infertile. They do not understand or want to understand that there may be a deficiency in men.” ― Ravi Ranjan Goswami
68. “Women often endure infertility, pregnancy, infant loss, miscarriages, and stillbirths in isolation, because while sadness is a socially palatable response to these often life-altering events, rage, frustration, jealousy, and guilt are not.” ― Soraya Chemaly
69. “The medication, the hormones and the relentless frustrations of our lives make us bitchy and you’re not allowed to be bitchy in public or people won’t like you.” ― Liane Moriarty
70. “So now I just assume that it won’t work, and that if it does work, I’ll lose it anyway. This is meant to protect me, although it doesn’t, because somehow the hope sneakily finds its way in. I’m never aware of the hope until it’s gone, whooshed away like a rug pulled from under my feet, each time I hear another “I’m sorry.” ― Liane Moriarty
71. “The children we bring into the world are small replicas of ourselves and our husbands; the pride and joy of grandfathers and grandmothers. We dream of being mothers, and for most of us that dreams are realised naturally. For this is the Miracle of Life.” ― Azelene Williams
Infertility quotes that are loaded with wisdom
72. “It is a woman who just walked past you on the street. It is a relative with whom you haven’t been speaking for ten years. These infertile women are among us. This woman is me.” — Karina Savaryna
73. “For everyone going through infertility and conception hell, please know it was not a straight line to either of my pregnancies. Sending you extra love.” — Anne Hathaway
74. “Getting pregnant wasn’t easy, and I found that devastating. I really beat myself up for waiting so long when I’d always wanted children and family had been the basis of my happiness my whole life.” — Emily Procter
75. “There are definitely times when I walked out [of the doctor’s office] hysterically crying, and other times when I was like, ‘OK, everything’s looking good—it’s going to be this month!’ The waiting and waiting has been a roller coaster.” — Kim Kardashian
76. “After going through a lot of procedures and spending a lot of money, the doctor said, ‘Look, based on what we’re seeing here, I just don’t think this is going to happen for you.’ The hardest part is I really love my husband—he’s such a good person and he would be such a great father.” — Aisha Tyler
77. “To all the women out there struggling with fertility, I feel ya. The universe works in mysterious ways and sometimes it all doesn’t make sense… but I hope there’s light about to shine through all the dark clouds.” — Rebel Wilson
78. “It was a womb issue for me. Embryos wouldn’t implant. [Surrogacy is] a big leap, inviting this person into your life to do this amazing, important thing for you. And it’s hard losing that kind of control. But our surrogate is so extraordinary, and she’s still in our lives. She’s like an auntie.” — Elizabeth Banks
79. “John and I were having trouble. We would have kids five, six years ago if it had happened, but my gosh, it’s been a process! We’ve seen fertility doctors, and then once you open up about all those things to other people, you start learning that a lot of other people in your life are seeing these people and they have this shame about it.” — Chrissy Teigen
80. “We tried to have another child, it didn’t work, and I went into a deep clinical depression. It’s only now that I no longer count other people’s children or judge myself harshly for not providing my daughter with a sibling.” — Emma Thompson
81. “After trying and trying, I, unfortunately, couldn’t have my babies. It was my reality. I heard about the surrogate option, and it worked out beautifully.” — Angela Bassett
Did these infertility quotes inspire you?
Whether you were just looking for encouragement and hope or you just wanted to see that the mix of emotions that you’re experiencing right now is normal, hopefully you found a few quotes that connected with your needs.
There are many ways that families begin from natural birth to adoption and even just playing the important role in the life of someone who is missing that family member they need.
And while there are many different avenues that you can take to start and have a family, it’s also important to remember that your value is not tied to your ability to be a parent in one form or another. But it’s still OK to feel your feelings, even the hard ones.
Did these infertility quotes and sayings inspire you? Do you have any other uplifting quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 6, 2022 5:00 AM EST