The Adoption Network reports that there are 1.5 million adopted children in the United States. If your life has been touched by adoption, or you are currently going through the adoption process, below are some inspirational adoption quotes to keep you motivated during your journey.
Do you have a personal connection to adoption?
Adopting a child can take anywhere from 6 months to several years, depending on a variety of circumstances such as age, location, or health. Below, we at Everyday Power have curated insightful quotes from adoptees, adoptive parents, and birth parents.
We hope that the following quotes inspire you during your day and remind you of the lives that you are changing for the better through adoption.
Also check out our list of aunt quotes that prove she’s your biggest fan.
Adoption quotes for waiting adoptive parents
1. “Patience is not the ability to wait but to keep a good attitude while waiting.” – Joyce Meyer
2. “Life is lived in the waiting.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
3. “You are not just waiting in vain. There is a purpose behind every delay.” – Mandy Hale
4. “We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.” – Joseph Campbell (see more Joseph Campbell quotes)
5. “Everything is hard before it is easy.” – Goethe
6. “One of the greatest titles in the world is parent, and one of the biggest blessings in the world is to be one.” – Jim Demint
7. “My birth mother brought me into this world, but it was my adoptive parents who gave me life.” – Christina Romo
8. “History will judge us by the difference we make in the everyday lives of children.” – Nelson Mandela
9. “Being a parent wasn’t just about bearing a child. It was about bearing witness to its life.” – Jodi Picoult
10. “Adoption is not the call to have the perfect, rosy family. It is the call to give love, mercy, and patience.” – Hope For Orphans
11. “If you have a heart for adoption, don’t let fear stand in the way.” – Doug Chapman
12. “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.” – Henry Ford (see more Henry Ford quotes)
13. “Not flesh of my flesh, nor bone of my bone, But still miraculously my own. Never forget for a single minute, you didn’t grow under my heart but in it.” – Fleur Conkling Heyliger.
14. “Every single minute matters, every single child matters, every single childhood matters.” – Kailash Satyarthi
15. “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” – Maya Angelou
16. “After all, children are children no matter their background.” – Julie Andrews
17. “Every child deserves a home and love. Period.” – Dave Thomas
Also read these beautiful blended family quotes to share with your loved ones.
Adoption quotes for adoptive mothers
18. “However motherhood comes to you, it’s a miracle.” – Valerie Harper
19. “Mother’s love is peace. It need not be acquired, and it need not be deserved.” – Erich Fromm
20. “Motherhood is about celebrating the child you have not the child you thought you’d have.” – Joan Ryan
21. “Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother.” – Oprah Winfrey
22. “Being a mother is an attitude, not a biological relation.” – Robert A. Heinlein
23. “Little souls find their way to you, whether their from your womb or someone else’s.” – Sheryl Crow
24. “Where there is love, there is life.” – Mahatma Gandhi
25. “The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other’s life.” – Richard Bach
26. “A child born to another woman calls me mom. The depth of the tragedy and the magnitude of the privilege are not lost on me.” – Jody Landers
27. “Families don’t have to match. You don’t have to look like someone else to love them.” – Leigh Anne Tuohy
28. “You don’t choose your family. They are God’s gift to you, as you are to them.” – Desmond Tutu (see more quotes from Desmond Tutu)
29. “Somehow destiny comes into play. These children end up with you and you end up with them. It’s something quite magical.” – Nicole Kidman
30. “If the standard route for creating a family had worked for me, I wouldn’t have met this child. I needed to know her. I needed to be her mother. She is, in every way my daughter.” – Nia Vardalos
31. “It is amazing how you could get so far from where you’d planned, and yet find it is exactly where you need to be.” – Sarah Dessen
32. “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.” – Angela Schwindt
Also check out our list of the best baby quotes that new parents can relate to.
Adoption quotes for birth mothers
33. “For when a child is born, the mother also is born again.” – Gilbert Parker
34. “The circumstances surrounding your birth are not as important as the opportunity to live life.”– Lailah Gifty Akita
35. “A birthmother puts the needs of her child above the wants of her heart.” – Skye Hardwick
36. “Forgive yourself for not having the foresight to know what now seems so obvious in hindsight.” – Judy Belmont
37. “If you love someone unconditionally and with your whole heart, than you will do what is best for them not you.” – Talitha
38. “Children and mothers never truly part, bound together by the beating of one another’s heart.” – Charlotte Gray
39. “To attain to a place of acceptance of an adoption decision is an honorable goal, but often an arduous journey.” – Sandra Cantrell
40. “He is mine in a way that he will never be hers, yet he is hers in a way that he will never be mine, and so together, we are motherhood.” – Desha Woodall
41. “The love of a mother is the veil of a softer light between the heart and the heavenly father.” – Samuel Taylor Coleridge
42. “Making the decision to have a child – it is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body.” – Elizabeth Stone
43. “Beauty seen is never lost.” – John Greenleaf Whittler
44. “A baby is born with a need to be loved – and never outgrows it.” – Frank A. Clark
Adopting quotes defining adoption
45. “Adoption is the most intentional process on Earth.” – Jody Cantrell Dyer
46. “Adoption is a journey of faith, from beginning to end.” – Johnny Carr
47. “Love is not a cure-all for an adoptee, but it’s a great place to start.” – Christina Romo
48. “Life is the first gift, love is the second and understanding the third.” – Marge Piercy
49. “Adoption carries the added dimension of connection not only to your own tribe but beyond, widening the scope of what constitutes love, ties, and family. It is the larger embrace.” – Isabella Rossellini
50. “Adoption is not about finding children for families, it’s about finding families for children.” – Joyce Maguire Pavao
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of children quotes that will fill your heart with love and laughter.
Insightful adoption quotes and sayings
51. “I am a living testament you can be adopted and successful.” — Daunte Culpepper
52. “Adoption was a bumpy ride – very bumpy. But, God, was it worth the fight.” — Mariska Hargitay
53. “We always wanted to adopt, and when the opportunity opened up, we did it to help change a child’s life.” — Willie Robertson
54. “Adoption has been a part of my life and a part of my family, so it was how I wanted to start. It felt natural and right to me.” – Katherine Heigl
55. “While adoption does not undo the past, adopting a child, and more specifically an older child, gives an adoptive family the privilege of writing the parts of the child’s story that have not yet been written.” — Caitlin Snyder
56. “Adoption comes from the heart, but the adoption process comes from the Law. You should follow your heart, but be sure you also follow the law.” – Irina ORear
57. “Adoption is the visible gospel.” — John Piper
58. “You may not have my eyes or my smile but from that very first moment you had my heart.” – Kathy Jeffards
59. “If there’s a cause worth fighting for, it’s this: children belong in families.” — Nicole Skellenger
60. “A child born to another woman calls me mommy. The magnitude of that tragedy and the depth of that privilege is not lost on me.” – Jody Landers
More adoption quotes
61. “Anyone who ever wondered how much they could love a child who did not spring from their own loins, know this: it is the same. The feeling of love is so profound, it’s incredible and surprising.” – Nia Vardalos
62. “I believe one of the most sacrificial acts of love adoptive parents can do is to give up their preconceptions and agendas about what their child’s views “should” be and be open to hear the conflicting emotions and thoughts their child often experiences.” – Sherrie Eldridge
63. “Adoption was such a positive alternative to abortion, a way to save one life and brighten two more: those of the adoptive parents.” – George W. Bush
64. “It is not imitation that makes sons. It is sonship that make imitators.” – Martin Luther
65. “We don’t have adoption issues, we have an issue with adoption.” – Janine Myung-Ja
66. “Adoptee rights are everyone’s rights, and they deserve to be protected.” – DaShanne Stokes
67. “Blood can help make family, but family often transcends blood.” – DaShanne Stokes
68. “Adoption isn’t just a childhood experience, it’s a life-long experience.” – DaShanne Stokes
69. “Even though you weren’t born to us, you grew in our hearts. We will be forever connected because love is what makes a family.” – Deanna Kahler
70. “Adoption is wonderful and beautiful and the greatest blessing I have ever experienced. Adoption is also difficult and painful. Adoption is a beautiful picture of redemption.” – Katie J. Davis
Are you planning to adopt?
At times, the adoption process can be tough. There are often many hurdles that you have to jump over before bringing a beautiful child home. We hope that these inspirational adoption quotes give you the motivation that you need to keep moving forward and never give up hope. Adoption changes lives and creates a love that lasts forever.
The above quotes also offer nuggets of parenting advice from adoptive parents as well as adoptees. Each is a reminder that undying love for the child is at the foundation of each decision a parent makes, whether adoptive parents or birth parents.
What are some of your favorite quotes about adoption? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
March 9, 2021 6:00 AM EST