The painful experience of having a miscarriage is something that only those who have been through it can understand. These miscarriage quotes can help bring you comfort.
The loss of a precious child is something that most people can understand. However, when you lose your child before they are born it’s a grief and pain that some people can’t seem to comprehend.
Many people may not even have known that you were pregnant which can make it even that much harder to grieve because others don’t even know you are going through anything. And, while you never held your child in your arms, you truly loved them and are living with a huge sense of loss.
While everyone finds comfort in something different and the grieving process takes time, some of these quotes might help you feel not so alone.
Below is our collection of comforting miscarriage quotes, collected from a variety of sources over the years. For more comfort, also check out our list of helpful death quotes as well as these grief quotes to help you cope.
Miscarriage quotes to remind you they’ll always be with you
1. “You didn’t stay for long, but in those precious few weeks, you changed me forever.” – Zoe Clark-Coates
2. “Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with its color.” — W.S. Merwin
3. “You never arrived in my arms, but you will never leave my heart.” – Zoe Clark-Coates
4. “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal.” – Unknown
5. “A life may last just for a moment, but memory can make that moment last forever.” – Unknown
6. “Even those that never fully blossom bring beauty into the world.” – Unknown
7. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.” – Dr. Seuss (see all quotes by Dr. Seuss)
8. “There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.” – Unknown
9. “How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts.” — Dorothy Ferguson
10. “A life need not be long-lived, for it to be meaningful.” – Unknown
11. “The one who left gentle footprints on our hearts left a story worth telling.” – Unknown
12. “To lose a child is to lose a piece of yourself.” – Dr. Burton Grebin
Miscarriage quotes about grief
13. “The best advice that I got during counseling: Don’t judge your spouse’s grief response. Give them the freedom to grieve their own way.” – Rachel Crawford
14. “And grief is not something you complete, But rather, you endure. Grief is not a task to finish. And move on, But an element of yourself-An alteration of your being.” — Gwen Flowers
15. “We do not “get over” a death. We learn to carry the grief and integrate the loss in our lives. In our hearts, we carry those who have died. We grieve and we love. We remember.” ― Nathalie Himmelrich
16. “For several days, I slept. Whether this was a necessary part of physical recovery or a stubborn retreat from waking reality, I do not know, but I woke only reluctantly to take a little food, falling at once back into a stupor of oblivion, as though the small, warm weight of broth in my stomach were an anchor that pulled me after it, down through the murky fathoms of sleep.” ― Diana Gabaldon
17. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” —Maya Angelou
18. “Grief, I’ve learned, is really love. It’s all the love you want to give but cannot give. The more you loved someone, the more you grieve. All of that unspent love gathers up in the corners of your eyes and in that part of your chest that gets an empty and hollow feeling. The happiness of love turns to sadness when unspent. Grief is just love with no place to go.” – Jamie Anderson
19. “It has been said, ‘time heals all wounds.’ I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.” — Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy
20. “It hurts because it matters.” – John Green
21. “Grieving is like having broken ribs. On the outside, you look fine, but with every breath, it hurts.” – Unknown
Remember to also read these quotes about postpartum depression to lift your spirits.
Miscarriage quotes to help you heal
22. “There is no right way to grieve; there is only your way to grieve and that is different for everyone.” – Nathalie Himmelrich
23. “Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith.. it is the price of love.” – Unknown
24. “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” – Vicki Harrison
25. “Some say you are too painful to remember. I say you are too precious to forget.” – Unknown
26. “What my sister needed was not people urging her, as so many did, to get pregnant again as soon as possible, but acknowledgement of her loss and the violence that she experienced in that loss. She needed to know that this was not a failure or that she was a bad mother. She needed to be allowed to be not only sad but also, in her grief, to be angry.” – Soraya Chemaly
27. “When my wife and I lost our son, we had similar but very different experiences. She felt she was caught in a blizzard and she doesn’t remember the six months after we lost him. For me, it was like everything that I had known burnt to the ground, this field or forest that was turned to ash, burning, smoldering. How do I make sense of a world where this can happen?” – Sean Hanish
28. “What does a miscarriage feel like? It feels as if you have been short-changed by nature. You will cry for what might have been but nobody will understand because they didn’t feel it.” – Unknown
Miscarriage quotes about painful times
29. “Throughout my life, there were a few hard days. Days where even when I tried to be happy, my heart still cracked and Mother’s Day was one of those. For others, it stood as a celebration. For me, it spoke of loss and failure. Because there’s no such thing as an ‘almost’ Mother’s day.” – Brittany Cherry
30. “I no longer seek those things that help me to heal but for those things that fortify me with the strength required to carry the load, fate has set upon my shoulders. Instead of finding a way to forget, find a way to bear the constant remembering. The silence of the wild being one of those elements that reinforce the weathered walls of the soul and mind.” — L.M. Browning
31. “‘There is no heartbeat.’ 4 words. 4 words to end the life I had. 4 words to change who I was. It will never be the same again. I will never be the same again.” – Kerin Lee
32. “I am not functioning very well. Living with the knowledge that the baby is dead is painful. I feel so far away from you, God. I can only try to believe that you are sustaining me and guiding me through this. Please continue to stand by my side.” ― Christine O’Keeffe Lafser
33. “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice.” — Bob Marley (see more Bob Marley quotes)
34. “That moment after losing your baby when you need to get out of the house but then see a mother with her newborn baby. That’s pain like nothing else.” – Unknown
35. “There is a unique pain that comes from preparing a place in your heart for a child that never comes.” – David Platt
Miscarriage quotes on motherhood
36. “I held you every second of your life.” – Stephanie Paige Cole
37. “Heaven and earth may separate us today, but nothing will ever change the fact that you made me a mom.” – Unknown
38. “I miss you more then anyone knows as time goes by the emptiness grows. I laugh, I talk, I play my part but behind my smile is a broken heart.” – Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of miss you quotes to fill that loneliness in your heart.
39. “I’ll love for forever, I’ll like you for always, as long as I’m living, my baby you’ll be.” – Robert Munsch
40. “A wife who loses a husband is called a widow. A husband who loses a wife is called a widower. A child who loses his parents is called an orphan. There is no word for a parent who loses a child. That’s how awful the loss is.” – Unknown
41. “A mother’s grief is as timeless as her love.” – Joanne Cacciatore
42. “Babies lost in the womb were never touched by fear. They were never cold, never hungry, never alone, and importantly always knew love.” —Zoe Clark-Coates
43. “A mother is never defined by the number of children you can see, but by the love that she holds in her heart.” – Franchesca Cox
Other comforting miscarriage quotes
44. “Sometimes the smallest things, take up the most room in our heart.” – A.A. Milne
45. “Before I carried the pain, I carried you. And in my heart, I carry you still.” – Unknown
46. “It is not length of life, but depth of life.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
47. “As long as I can I will look at this world for both of us, as long as I can, I will laugh with the birds, I will sing with the flowers, I will pray to the stars, for both of us.” – Unknown
48. “Some people say it is a shame. Others even imply that it would have been better if the baby had never been created. But the short time I had with my child is precious to me.” — Christine O’Keeffe Lafser
49. “When a child is born, it is the mother’s instinct to protect the baby. When a child dies, it is the mother’s instinct to protect the memory.” – Unknown
50. “When you carry a life and it’s there, and then gone, a part of your soul dies. Forever.” – Casey Wiegano
Which of these miscarriage quotes made you feel better?
Others might not understand that you are grieving but they don’t have to. You have experienced a great loss and that brings with it many different emotions. You may feel intense sadness and loss, but you may also feel things guilt and failure. It’s normal to struggle with feeling like you failed, but you didn’t.
You may feel like you have a roller coaster of emotions for a while and that’s normal. Allow yourself to experience your emotions. Allow yourself to grieve. Your baby is your baby and that can never be taken away. There will always be a special place in your heart reserved for your child, even if you never had the opportunity to hold them in your arms.
Which of these helpful miscarriage quotes made you feel better? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Feel free to share with us in the comment section below.