The painful experience of having a miscarriage is something that only those who have been through it can understand.
These miscarriage quotes can help bring you comfort.
The loss of a precious child is something that no one wants to experience.
However, when you lose your child before they are born it’s a grief and pain that some people can’t seem to comprehend.
Many people may not even have known that you were pregnant, which can make it even that much harder to grieve because others don’t even know you are going through anything.
Even though you never held your child in your arms, you truly loved them and are living with a huge sense of loss.
While everyone finds comfort in something different and the grieving process takes time, some of these quotes might help you feel not so alone.
Below is our collection of comforting miscarriage quotes, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
For more comfort, also check out our list of helpful grief quotes to help you cope.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our entire collection of motivational quotes here.
Miscarriage quotes to remind you they’ll always be with you
1. “You didn’t stay for long, but in those precious few weeks, you changed me forever.” – Zoe Clark-Coates
2. “You never arrived in my arms, but you will never leave my heart.” – Zoe Clark-Coates
3. “Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with its color.” — W.S. Merwin
4. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.” – Dr. Seuss (see all quotes by Dr. Seuss)
5. “To lose a child is to lose a piece of yourself.” – Dr. Burton Grebin
6. “When you carry a life and it’s there, and then gone, a part of your soul dies. Forever.” – Casey Wiegano
7. “A flower bloomed already wilting. Beginning its life with an early ending.” — RJ Gonzales, Mundahlia
8. “It is not length of life, but depth of life.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
9. “Sometimes the smallest things, take up the most room in our heart.” – A.A. Milne
10. “I held you every second of your life.” – Stephanie Paige Cole
Miscarriage quotes about grief
11. “I’ll love for forever, I’ll like you for always, as long as I’m living, my baby you’ll be.” – Robert Munsch
12. “A mother’s grief is as timeless as her love.” – Joanne Cacciatore
13. “It hurts because it matters.” – John Green
14. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” —Maya Angelou
15. “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” – Thomas Campbell
16. “At the blueness of the skies and in the warmth of summer, we remember them.” – Sylvan Kamens & Rabbi Jack Reimer
17. “All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.” – Havelock Ellis
18. “God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December.” – J.M. Barrie
Remember to also read these quotes about postpartum depression to lift your spirits.
Miscarriage quotes to help you heal
19. “When we have joy we crave to share; We remember them.” – Sylvan Kamens & Rabbi Jack Riemer
20. “No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear.” – C.S. Lewis
21. “Ain’t no shame in holding on to grief… as long as you make room for other things too.” – “Bubbles,” The Wire
22. “When a child dies, you bury the child in your heart.” – Korean Proverb
23. “It takes strength to make your way through grief, to grab hold of life and let it pull you forward.” – Patti Davis
24. “There is no right way to grieve; there is only your way to grieve and that is different for everyone.” – Nathalie Himmelrich
25. “I carry your heart with me, I am never without it.” — E. E. Cummings
26. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” — Winnie the Pooh
27. “Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.”—A. A. Milne
28. “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal.” – Unknown
29. “A life may last just for a moment, but memory can make that moment last forever.” – Unknown
30. “Even those that never fully blossom bring beauty into the world.” – Unknown
Miscarriage quotes about painful times
31. “‘There is no heartbeat.’ 4 words. 4 words to end the life I had. 4 words to change who I was. It will never be the same again. I will never be the same again.” – Kerin Lee
32. “I am not functioning very well. Living with the knowledge that the baby is dead is painful. I feel so far away from you, God. I can only try to believe that you are sustaining me and guiding me through this. Please continue to stand by my side.” ― Christine O’Keeffe Lafser
33. “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice.” — Bob Marley (see more Bob Marley quotes)
34. “That moment after losing your baby when you need to get out of the house but then see a mother with her newborn baby. That’s pain like nothing else.” – Unknown
35. “There is a unique pain that comes from preparing a place in your heart for a child that never comes.” – David Platt
Miscarriagequotes on motherhood
36. “The best advice that I got during counseling: Don’t judge your spouse’s grief response. Give them the freedom to grieve their own way.” – Rachel Crawford
37. “And grief is not something you complete, But rather, you endure. Grief is not a task to finish. And move on, But an element of yourself-An alteration of your being.” — Gwen Flowers
38. “We do not “get over” a death. We learn to carry the grief and integrate the loss in our lives. In our hearts, we carry those who have died. We grieve and we love. We remember.” ― Nathalie Himmelrich
39. “Heaven and earth may separate us today, but nothing will ever change the fact that you made me a mom.” – Unknown
40. “I miss you more then anyone knows as time goes by the emptiness grows. I laugh, I talk, I play my part but behind my smile is a broken heart.” – Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of miss you quotes to fill that loneliness in your heart.
41. “A wife who loses a husband is called a widow. A husband who loses a wife is called a widower. A child who loses his parents is called an orphan. There is no word for a parent who loses a child. That’s how awful the loss is.” – Unknown
42. “Babies lost in the womb were never touched by fear. They were never cold, never hungry, never alone, and importantly always knew love.” —Zoe Clark-Coates
43. “A mother is never defined by the number of children you can see, but by the love that she holds in her heart.” – Franchesca Cox
Other comforting miscarriage quotes
44. “There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.” – Unknown
45. “How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts.” — Dorothy Ferguson
46. “A life need not be long-lived, for it to be meaningful.” – Unknown
47. “The one who left gentle footprints on our hearts left a story worth telling.” – Unknown
48. “Before I carried the pain, I carried you. And in my heart, I carry you still.” – Unknown
49. “As long as I can I will look at this world for both of us, as long as I can, I will laugh with the birds, I will sing with the flowers, I will pray to the stars, for both of us.” – Unknown
50. “Some people say it is a shame. Others even imply that it would have been better if the baby had never been created. But the short time I had with my child is precious to me.” — Christine O’Keeffe Lafser
51. “When a child is born, it is the mother’s instinct to protect the baby. When a child dies, it is the mother’s instinct to protect the memory.” – Unknown
52. “Planted on earth to bloom in Heaven.” — Unknown
53. “There’s no tragedy in life like the death of a child. Things never get back to the way they were.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
54. “Losing a child means carrying an almost unbearable grief, experienced by many but talked about by few.” — Meghan Markle
55. “She was born silent after fighting so hard to make it to our world. She is at peace now and will live forever in our hearts.” — Christina Perri
Miscarriage quotes about all the emotions you will feel
56. “The longing in my heart is only for you, my dear baby in heaven.” — Unknown
57. “We were going to have a baby, but we had an angel instead.” — Unknown
58. “I carried you every second of your life, and I will love you for every second of mine.” — Unknown
59. “She was born silent into this world, but her little life spoke volumes.” — Unknown
60. “There is no footprint too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.” — Unknown
61. “Any woman who’d ever lost a child knew of the hollowness that remained within the soul.” — Brittainy C. Cherry
62. “You’re never really ready to be told that there’s no heartbeat. But stay strong because life goes on and it is nobody’s fault.” — Elisabeth Canalis
63. “When a baby is born, it’s a mother’s instinct to protect her baby. When a baby dies, it’s a mother’s instinct to protect their memory.” — Unknown
64. “Though your body may heal quickly, the emotional wound of your pregnancy loss may linger. Give yourself time to grieve.” — Unknown
65. “You were but a drop of rain to the eye but managed to flood my heart with love during your brief time with us.” — Unknown
Miscarriage quotes that will bring you tears or encourage you to talk about it
66. “Your wings were ready, but my heart was not.” — Unknown
67. “I wish I could have held you just once before you left us.” — Conan Gray
68. “I would have given my last breath to see you take your first.” — Unknown
69. “Imagine a love so strong it made saying hello and goodbye in the same day worth all the pain.” — Unknown
70. “Blaming the woman for the loss of a child is like blaming the soldier for the loss of his life in battle.” — Katherine Longshore, Brazen
71. “At sunset, the little soul that had come with the dawning went away, leaving heartbreak behind it.” — L.M. Montgomery, Anne’s House of Dreams
72. “A miscarriage is not a failure, because a failure implies that it’s something you can control. Miscarriages are beyond our control.” — Dr. Simone Whitmore
73. “I felt lost and alone, and I felt like I failed. I didn’t know how common miscarriages were because we don’t talk about them. We sit in our own pain, thinking that somehow we’re broken.” — Michelle Obama
74. “A wife who loses a husband is called a widow. A husband who loses a wife is called a widower. A child who loses his parents is called an orphan. There is no word for a parent who loses a child. That’s how awful the loss is.” — Jay Neugeboren, An Orphan’s Tale
75. “I think that’s one of the reasons women don’t tell people when they’ve had a miscarriage—they think it’s their fault. I remember I worried what my in-laws would think, which is so crazy. I thought they’d think their son had married a terrible person. Also, because I made the mistake of telling people as soon as I got pregnant, I then had to tell them the bad news and then I felt like I was burdening them.” — Ali Wong
Miscarriage quotes for whatever stage of grief you are experiencing
76. “My baby sleeps with the moon and the stars.” — Unknown
77. “Our children change us, whether they live or not.” — Unknown
78. “Do not muffle your cries, for they are the sound of pregnancy loss.” — Unknown
79. “There is no time limit to healing. You take as much time as you need.” — S.L Gray
80. “Even when tears no longer stain my face, my heart is still stained by miscarriage.” — Unknown
81. “You will survive and you will find purpose in the chaos. Moving on doesn’t mean letting go.” — Mary VanHaute
82. “I never heard you, but I hear you. I never held you, but I feel you. I never knew you, but I love you.” — Unknown
83. “The strongest person in the world is a grieving mother that wakes up and keeps going every day.” — Unknown
84. “What we have once enjoyed deeply we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” — Helen Keller
85. “You are near, even if I don’t see you. You are with me, even if you are far away. You are in my heart, in my thoughts, in my life, always.” — Unknown
Miscarriage quotes that let you sit with the hurt
86. “I prayed that God would bless us with a baby. Each child is a gift, and I am proud that we cooperated with God in the creation of a new soul for all eternity. Although not with me, my baby lives.” -Christine O’Keefe Lafser
87. “All I could do was cry; I felt desolate, the tears rolling down my cheeks as I tried to comprehend what had happened.” -Colette Centeno Fox
88. “Grief is wild like the sea, but it doesn’t need to destroy us. We can’t conquer it, but we can navigate it, and we can find Jesus there too.” -Ariel Booker
89. “An interrupted pregnancy is something personal and private. There is always a story behind the loss of a child. Let us not dismiss that story but listen to it with love and compassion.” -Adriana Vandelinde
90. “Being an almost mother isn’t a thing. You have seven children, whether they made it here or not doesn’t take away from the fact they existed. They were yours, and they were loved fully if only for those small moments.” -Brittainy C. Cherry
91. “In lieu of letting go of our trauma and rather than healing completely, in my experience, we learn how to carry it and there are some days when it is heavier than others. Some days, I hardly know it is there, distracted as I am by present joys and excitement; while other days, the burden is cripplingly-heavy and I can hardly breathe under the weight of grief.” -L.M. Browning
92. “Sometimes it’s hard to see the rainbow when there’s been endless days of rain.” -Christina Greer
93. “I felt like I was being carried over the threshold of a sisterhood of loss. I knew I was not walking alone, and that eventually I would bob back up to the surface of the deep, because the women around me showed me what healing looks like.” -Anna White
94. “Ann: How my heart has ached. How empty I have felt. How I’ve ached to hold my two babies.” -K. Howard Joslin
95. “…hope is never wasted. Even if what I hoped for did not come to fruition as I had imagined, as I had hoped.” -Natalie Brenner
Miscarriage quotes to remember departed little angels
96. “For several days, I slept. Whether this was a necessary part of physical recovery or a stubborn retreat from waking reality, I do not know, but I woke only reluctantly to take a little food, falling at once back into a stupor of oblivion, as though the small, warm weight of broth in my stomach were an anchor that pulled me after it, down through the murky fathoms of sleep.” ― Diana Gabaldon
97. “Grief, I’ve learned, is really love. It’s all the love you want to give but cannot give. The more you loved someone, the more you grieve. All of that unspent love gathers up in the corners of your eyes and in that part of your chest that gets an empty and hollow feeling. The happiness of love turns to sadness when unspent. Grief is just love with no place to go.” – Jamie Anderson
98. “It has been said, ‘time heals all wounds.’ I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.” — Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy
99. “Grieving is like having broken ribs. On the outside, you look fine, but with every breath, it hurts.” – Unknown
100. “Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith.. it is the price of love.” – Unknown
101. “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” – Vicki Harrison
102. “Some say you are too painful to remember. I say you are too precious to forget.” – Unknown
103. “What my sister needed was not people urging her, as so many did, to get pregnant again as soon as possible, but acknowledgment of her loss and the violence that she experienced in that loss. She needed to know that this was not a failure or that she was a bad mother. She needed to be allowed to be not only sad but also, in her grief, to be angry.” – Soraya Chemaly
104. “When my wife and I lost our son, we had similar but very different experiences. She felt she was caught in a blizzard and she doesn’t remember the six months after we lost him. For me, it was like everything that I had known burnt to the ground, this field or forest that was turned to ash, burning, smoldering. How do I make sense of a world where this can happen?” – Sean Hanish
105. Heaven gained another angel and you should be glad.” – Unknown
Miscarriage Qoutes To Make Acceptance Lighter
106. “You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart…I’ll always be with you.” — A.A. Milne
107. “This is not goodbye, my darling, this is a thank you. Thank you for coming into my life and giving me joy.” — Nicholas Sparks
108. “I had these guilty feelings of, ‘If I can’t even take care of a child for a week in my stomach, I can’t raise a child on my own.’ I felt guilty to Andrew that I had lost his child, and I felt guilty to God that I lost his child.” — Shawn Johnson
109. “It’s amazing how much people hide it. They feel like, ‘What did I do wrong?’ But in so many cases you didn’t do anything at all.” — Giuliana Rancic
110. “I learned that all pain and loss is in fact a gift. Having miscarriages taught me that I had to mother myself before I could be a mother to someone else.” — Beyonce
111. “Do you want to get into my life? Just because you’ve brought it up, I’ve had three miscarriages, but I know what it’s like to be pregnant.” — Barbara Walters
112. “I get pregnant pretty easily, but I have a hard time keeping them. I don’t say it’s a walk in the park. But what are you going to do? We just try again.” — Courteney Cox
113. “What does a miscarriage feel like? It feels as if you have been short-changed by nature. You will cry for what might have been but nobody will understand because they didn’t feel it.” – Unknown
114. “Throughout my life, there were a few hard days. Days where even when I tried to be happy, my heart still cracked and Mother’s Day was one of those. For others, it stood as a celebration. For me, it spoke of loss and failure. Because there’s no such thing as an ‘almost’ Mother’s day.” – Brittany Cherry
115. “I no longer seek those things that help me to heal but for those things that fortify me with the strength required to carry the load, fate has set upon my shoulders. Instead of finding a way to forget, find a way to bear the constant remembering. The silence of the wild being one of those elements that reinforce the weathered walls of the soul and mind.” — L.M. Browning
Miscarriage Quotes From Celebrities
116. “We are shocked and in the kind of deep pain you only hear about, the kind of pain we’ve never felt before,” — Chrissy Teigen
117. I went into the studio and wrote the saddest song I’ve ever written in my life. And it was actually the first song I wrote for my album. And it was the best form of therapy for me, because it was the saddest thing I’ve ever been through.” — Beyoncé
118. “I remember hoping my husband’s parents wouldn’t be disappointed. It was this intrinsic concern. I didn’t want them to feel like their son married a bad seed – and they didn’t feel that way; they were very supportive.” — Ali Wong
119. “He chose to let go to give space to his brothers to grow.” — Celine Dion
120. “Why on Earth do I keep getting pregnant if I can’t have a kid? Like what is this? Either shut the door or let me have a kid.” — Carrie Underwood
121. “I fought tooth and nail to be a mother. I suffered several miscarriages including two at five months. That’s when you have the clothes already picked out, the nursery is already painted. They ask you if you want a funeral or do you want the cremation. We went through that not once but twice, me and my husband.” — Wendy Williams
122. “I had a really bad experience when I was pregnant with my third. It didn’t work out, and I nearly died. So I am like, ‘Are we good here or should we go back and try again?” — Gwyneth Paltrow
123. “Listen for my footfall in your heart. I am not gone but merely walking within you.” — Nicholas Evans
124. “We do not have control over many things in life and death but we do have control over the meaning we give it.” ― Nathalie Himmelrich
125. “You will lose someone you can’t live without and your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up.” — Anne Lamott
Miscarriage Quotes To Keep You Encouraged To Move On
126. “When we lose one blessing, another is most often unexpectedly given in its place” — C.S. Lewis
127. “Sometimes the small sounds of blessings are found in the hardest moments of life. Listen for the whispers…” — Maureen Watts
128. “Those we have held in our arms for a little while, we hold in our hearts forever.” — The Prophet
129. “When you get blindsided by your body, that betrayal of your body is very hard to overcome.” — Hilarie Burton
130. “I have no shame or embarrassment with this experience. I want to be a part of the effort to normalize miscarriage and remove the stigma from it.” — Hilaria Baldwin
131. “It kind of shook us both and took us into a place that was really dark and difficult. When that happened… I wasn’t able to even talk to anybody about it. That was not easy.” — Mariah Carey
132. “We can’t deny our journey. We can’t pretend we’re fine when we’re not. All we can do is own it—own our suffering.” — L.M. Browning
133. “As I was wheeled into the operating room I pleaded with. God for one more day, one more week, one more month with her.” ― Ariana Carruth
134. “No one ‘just adopts’.” ― Jody Cantrell Dyer
135. “Ann: You didn’t cause my miscarriages. But you are committed to transforming me to be like you.” ― K. Howard Joslin
Which of these miscarriage quotes resonated with you?
Others might not understand that you are grieving, but they don’t have to.
You have experienced a substantial loss and that brings with it many emotions.
You may feel intense sadness and loss, but you may also feel things guilt and failure.
It’s normal to struggle with feeling like you failed, but you didn’t.
You may feel you have a roller coaster of emotions for a while, and that’s normal.
Allow yourself to experience your emotions. Allow yourself to grieve.
Your baby is your baby, and that can never be taken away.
There will always be a special place in your heart reserved for your child, even if you never held them in your arms.
Which of these helpful miscarriage quotes made you feel better?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Feel free to share with us in the comment section below.
October 12, 2022 5:00 AM EST