These motherhood quotes from famous poets and celebrities as well as iconic historical figures are testimonies to the enduring influence of mothers to their children.
Can You Relate?
The moment we opened our eyes to see the world for the very first time, we had already forged a lifelong connection with our moms – a binding relationship that could only get better over time.
If you still remember how your mom took care of you when you were little or recall how you once thought there was no one else strong enough to lean on but her, then these motherhood quotes are for you.
Motherhood quotes celebrating a special woman
1. “All I am I owe to my mother.” – George Washington
2. “He didn’t realize that love as powerful as your mother’s for you leaves its own mark.” – J.K. Rowling
3. “I see myself as mom first. I’m so lucky to have that role in life. The world can like me, hate me or fall apart around me and at least, I wake up with my kids and I’m happy.” – Angelina Jolie
4. “The only love that I really believe in is a mother’s love for her children.” – Karl Lagerfeld
5. “A mother is a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.” – Tenneva Jordan
6. “A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary.” – Dorothy Canfield Fisher
7. “A mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled.” – Emily Dickinson
8. “A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.” – Victor Hugo
9. “A mother’s love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dates all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.” – Agatha Christie
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of mother and son quotes that put words to this unbreakable bond.
10. “Acceptance, tolerance, bravery, compassion. These are the things my mom taught me.” – Lady Gaga
Motherhood quotes to remind you of what mothers mean to us
11. “All that I am, or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” – Abraham Lincoln
12. “At the end of the day, my most important job is still mom-in-chief.” – Michelle Obama
13. “Being a mom has made me so tired. And so happy.” – Tina Fey
14. “Being a mother is learning about strengths you didn’t know you had.” – Linda Wooten
15. “God could not be everywhere. And therefore, he made mothers.” – Rudyard Kipling
16. “Having children just puts the whole world into perspective. Everything else just disappears.” – Kate Winslet
17. “Having kids -the responsibility of rearing good, kind, ethical, responsible human beings – is the biggest job anyone can embark on.” – Maria Shriver
18. “I believe the choice to become a mother is the choice to become one of the greatest spiritual teachers there is.” – Oprah Winfrey
19. “I know how to do anything. I’m a mom.” – Roseanne Barr
20. “I’ve never had more appreciation for anyone in my entire life until I became a mom.” – Chrissy Teigen
Also check out these inspirational baby quotes that new parents can relate to.
Motherhood quotes for a special woman
21. “If love is as sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.” – Stevie Wonder
22. “If you’re a mom, you’re a superhero. Period.” – Rosie Pope
23. “In the end, mothers are always right. No one else tells the truth.” – Randy Susan Meyers
24. “It may be possible to gild pure gold, but who can make his mother more beautiful?” – Mahatma Gandhi
25. “It’s not easy being a mother. If it were, fathers would do it.” – Golden Girls
26. “A mother is the heartbeat in the home; and without her, there seems to be no heart throb.” – Leroy Brownlow
27. “Mother’s love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved.” – Erich Fromm
28. “Motherhood has a very humanizing effect. Everything gets reduced to essentials.” – Meryl Streep
29. “Motherhood is not for the faint-hearted. Frogs, skinned knees, and the insults of teenage girls are not meant for the wimpy.” – Danielle Steel
30. “Motherhood is the greatest thing and the hardest thing.” – Ricki Lake
Motherhood quotes to remind of their strength and capabilities
31. “Motherhood is tough. If you just want a wonderful little creature to love, you can get a puppy.” – Barbara Walters
32. “Motherhood was the great equalizer for me. I started to identify with everybody.” – Annie Lennox
33. “Mothers can look through a child’s eyes and see tomorrow.” – Reed Markham
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Mother’s Day quotes that help us celebrate moms all around the world.
34. “My mom had four kids, one with special needs. She had a full-time job, and she still came home and made dinner for us every night, from scratch. It was amazing.” – Eva Longoria
35. “My mother is a walking miracle.” – Leonardo DiCaprio
36. “My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.” – Michael Jordan
37. “Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother.” – Lin Yutang
38. “She raised us with humor, and she raised us to understand that not everything was going to be great but how to laugh through it.” – Liza Minnelli
39. “The fastest way to break the cycle of perfectionism and become a fearless mother is to give up the idea of doing it perfectly – indeed to embrace uncertainty and imperfection.” – Arianna Huffington
40. “The natural state of motherhood is unselfishness. When you become a mother, you are no longer the center of your own universe. You relinquish that position to your children.” – Jessica Lange
Other motherhood quotes to show love, support and appreciation
41. “The phrase ‘working mother’ is redundant.” – Jane Sellman
42. “There is no way to be a perfect mother, but a million ways to be a good one.” – Jill Churchill
43. “There is nothing in the world of art like the songs Mother used to sing.” – Billy Sunday
44. “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colors of a rainbow.” – Maya Angelou
45. “We are born of love. Love is our mother.” – Rumi
46. “We have a secret in our culture and it’s not that birth is painful. It’s that women are strong.” – Laura Stavoe Harm
47. “When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.” – Sophia Loren
48. “Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
49. “A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s.” – Princess Diana
50. “There is no velvet so soft as a mother’s lap, no rose as lovely as her smile, no path so flowery as that imprinted with her footsteps.” – Archibald Thompson
You might also like these co-parenting quotes to inspire separated parents.
Which of these motherhood quotes is resonated with you best?
They say it’s difficult to understand your mother until you have become a parent yourself and assumed the responsibility of molding your own children to be the best versions of themselves, just like your own mother has molded you to be the person that you are now.
These motherhood quotes are a reflection of what our mothers went through to bring us into this world and help in shaping our destinies.
These motherhood quotes are meant to remind us of the pains she had to endure, the sacrifices she had to make, the unconditional love she had to give, and the joys she reaped for embracing her roles as caregiver, teacher, provider, disciplinarian, cheerleader, counselor, consultant, peacemaker, and many, many more.
May we celebrate our mothers not just once or twice a year but every single day. She deserves it.
Which of these motherhood quotes and sayings is your favorite? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
January 10, 2020 7:18 AM EST