Put some passion in your life with our Latina quotes.
But who classifies as Latina, and where does the word come from?
Find out with our Latina quotes below.
What is a Latina?
People outside of Latin communities sometimes use the words Hispanic or Latina/o interchangeably, but the words have different meanings.
Those who use the word Hispanic refer to their European descendency via Spain.
People who use the word Latina/o refer to their indigenous ancestry from the Americas.
Check out these interesting facts about Latina economics and education:
- As of 2013, Latinas owned about 1 out of every 10 women-owned businesses.
- College graduation rates for Latinas have increased faster than any other group of women.
- Latina women make 55 cents to the dollar when compared to white, non-Hispanic males.
So, who identifies as Latina?
I grew up in New York around diverse populations of Latin Americans.
Our neighborhood had Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Peruvians, Columbians, Salvadorians, Hondurans, Mexicans, Argentinians, and many other Spanish-speaking people.
I can vividly remember the hotly debated conversations in my Latin American Studies classes at the University at Albany.
Albany had a large Spanish-speaking student population, many of whom came with different values and identities.
In college, I saw how the racial divide impacted people’s identity.
I noticed how the students who looked more European, with lighter-colored eyes, hair, and skin, felt more comfortable using the word Hispanic.
I also noticed that the more melanated students with darker features aligned themselves with the word Latina/o.
Get out of your comfort zone
It is easy to get comfortable when we think we know or understand our world.
However, there is no growth in the comfort zone.
It wasn’t until I made it to college that I would grow to appreciate the rich history of the Latina/o diaspora.
When I was young, we referred to Latin people as “Spanish.”
It was a blanket term that many African Americans in New York were cultured to use to describe an extremely diverse set of people.
When I was older, I realized it felt silly to call someone from Peru, Mexico, or Puerto Rico “Spanish.”
It was the equivalent of calling people in China or India “English” just because of their ability to speak a foreign language.
I learned how the African diaspora includes much of Central and South America as I got older.
Discovering how the Latin and African American communities were connected created a passion inside me to learn more.
If you want to learn more, check out our Latina quotes below.
Short Latina quotes about a diverse community
We begin our list with these quotes from a range of personalities.
1. “I was always typecast as a Latina.” — Rita Moreno
2. “The women I love most are Latina.” — William Levy
3. “I’m very proud to have Latin blood.” — Zoe Saldana
4. “I was raised in Chicago, so I always used Latina.” — Sandra Cisneros
5. “I’ve always been a real stubborn Latina. I’m a Gemini.” — Denise Bidot
6. “The Latina in me is an ember that blazes forever.” — Sonia Sotomayor
7. “Being Latina for me is also being a strong woman.” — Natalie Martinez
8. “I’m a Latina. Everything is outspoken in my culture.” — Camila Morrone
9. “Being Latina for me is also being a strong woman.” — Natalie Martinez
10. “I’m proud to be Latina, and most people don’t know I am.” — Bella Thorne
The top empowering Latina quotes celebrating pride
Check out these awesome Latina quotes.
11. “I don’t know if it’s because I’m Latina or something, but I have no problem speaking my mind.” — Becky G
12. “I am very proud to be a Latina because that’s also something that makes me very unique.” — Lele Pons
13. “I don’t understand labels. I don’t need anybody to tell me I’m Latina or black or anything else.” — Zoe Saldana
14. “I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.” — Sonia Sotomayor
15. “They say Latina women are spicy. But we are more than that. We have power, and we run things.” — Natti Natasha
16. “When I started as an actor, because of the accent and my body and my personality, it was not what the stereotype of the Latina woman in Hollywood is, so they didn’t know where to put me. ” — Sofia Vergara
17. “To be seen and to be respected for my work and acknowledged as a true American Latina means a lot to me.” — Zoe Saldana
18. “Being a woman, we talk about equal pay all the time. We’re not talking about if you’re black or if you are Latina.” — Megan Rapinoe
19. “Because of their low earnings and family obligations, Latinas would not be putting much money into private investment accounts.” — Grace Napolitano
20. “I’d like to see a world where there are so many Latina women leaders and women of all different backgrounds in the top jobs around the country.” — Geisha Williams
The best Latina quotes about strength
Strength is embodied by Latinas worldwide.
21. “People think of Latina women as being fiery and fierce, which is usually true.” — Zoe Saldana
22. “I was part of a hip-hop group called Fly Style. It gave me a different perception of dance and beauty because the other girls were mostly African-American and Latina.” — Greta Gerwig
23. “When you are Latina, it is all about family, and to see that she prioritizes family and her career at the same time is really nice.” — Becky G
24. “Morphing from Latina when I was dressed in red, to African American when in mustard yellow, my closet filled with fashionable frocks to make me look as racially varied as an Eighties Benetton poster.” — Meghan Markle
25. “It might sound dramatic and a little grandiose, but as a Latina, I would like to be someone that gives a voice to my culture.” — Cristela Alonzo
26. “For me, being an ‘American Latina’ means identifying with and being influenced by both my American upbringing and my Latin heritage.” — Camila Mendes
27. “I realized how Latina I was, and then also, at the same time, how not Latina enough I was, because I’m born and raised in Los Angeles.” — America Ferrera
28. “I am a woman, and I am a Latina. Those are the things that make my writing distinctive. Those are the things that give my writing power.” — Sandra Cisneros
29. “But I think the quality that so many Latinas possess is strength.” — Zoe Saldana
30. “I definitely have some stereotypical qualities of being a Latina.” — Bitsie Tulloch
Famous Latina quotes about stereotypes and family
These quotes celebrate pride and family.
31. “I’ve never done the stereotypical Latina, even though I have an accent.” — Roselyn Sanchez
32. “I want to steer away from the stereotypes that Latina women are categorized in.” — Emily Rios
33. “Latina women are proud to be called ‘Mrs.’ That simply means that we have a family.” — Clarissa Pinkola Estes
34. “Sotomayor’s vainglorious lecture bromide about herself as a wise Latina’ trumping white men is a vulgar embarrassment, a vestige of the bad old days of male-bashing feminism.” — Camille Paglia
35. “I have to represent. I feel proud to have a culture that’s different and proud to be a Latina.” — Natalie Martinez
36. “I love going to the hair salon. I’m Spanish. I think it’s more of a Latina thing to go to the hair salon.” — Paz de la Huerta
37. “No Latina woman would be called ‘Ms.’ – that’s an invention of middle-class Anglo women.” — Clarissa Pinkola Estes
38. “It’s so exciting to headline a film. It’s not every day you see a Latina carrying a full-length feature.” — Aimee Garcia
39. “Many artists in Mexico fight to be the Latina Madonna. I don’t want that! Never! Maybe she’s the American Gloria Trevi!” — Gloria Trevi
40. “The fullness of who you are, what it’s like to be queer, out, Latina, Afro-Latina, biracial, or multiracial, however you want to identify.” — Ariana DeBose
Empowering Latina quotes and sayings about life
We close our list with these Latina quotes to live by.
41. “The fact is, I am Latina, so how are you going to tell me that I don’t look Latina?” — Camila Mendes
42. “I often hear things like, ‘You don’t look Latina enough,’ and that mentality is so backwards.” — Camila Mendes
43. “I think all Latino actors want to be storytellers first. I want to be an actor first, and then I want to be Latina.” — Gina Rodriguez
44. “I love being Latina.” — Eiza Gonzalez
45. “I’m bicultural, and everyone sees me as a Latina, but in my head, I see myself as both Latina and American.” — Genesis Rodriguez
46. “We made history when President Obama appointed Sonia Sotomayor, a proud Latina, the first Hispanic Supreme Court justice.” — Charlie Gonzalez
47. “Audiences want great storytelling; it’s why white people watch my show Black in America. It’s why black people watch Latina in America.” — Soledad O’Brien
48. “I simply do not know exactly what that difference will be in my judging. But I accept there will be some based on my gender and my Latina heritage.” — Sonia Sotomayor
49. “On average, African-American women are 4 times as likely to die from pregnancy-related complications. Latina women are at 2 times greater risk.” — Christy Turlington
50. “There are plenty of Latina actresses that no one’s ever heard of; Some are really brown, some are light-skinned, and some look like they’re Caucasian.” — Sara Ramirez
What is your favorite Latina quote?
Which Latina quote inspired you?
Be sure to let us know in the comments section below, and share these with your friends.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Nothing can break you once you read these inspirational poems!
There are no small minds, only hurt or distracted ones.
Inspirational biographies, however, provide insight into the life struggles of the rich and successful.
A personal mantra can encourage you and help put your life in perspective. Sometimes, all it takes is the right words to inspire you.
Check out these related quote articles:
The legendary artist is still an icon and inspiration to admirers today, and these Frida Kahlo quotes will paint their beauty in your mind.
Take a look at these Puerto Rico quotes inspired by one of the most robust and complex nations of the Caribbean.
Remember the actress and singer with these Naya Rivera quotes.
Searching for inspirational quotes from the multi-talented A-List celeb Jennifer Lopez? These Jennifer Lopez quotes are just what you’re looking for.