These mad quotes are meaningful and cover all aspects of being angry. Take some deep breaths, count to ten, and read through these quotes about anger and madness.
Being mad is usually thought of as a bad thing that can cause stress and tension. It is true that anger can have harmful effects on the body.
But are there times when being mad is a good thing? Why do people get so angry? It is often because there is an underlying fear or sadness behind the anger that is portrayed.
It can create a spark for us to initiate change in our lives, and cause us to be better than we were before. Of course, it doesn’t do much good to cling to unfounded anger. Forgiveness can be a beautiful thing.
Keep reading these meaningful mad quotes for more insights.
Don’t forget to also check out these anger quotes that will help you control your difficult emotions.
Mad quotes about the benefits of being angry
1. “Usually when people are sad, they don’t do anything. They just cry over their condition. But when they get angry, they bring about a change.” ― Malcolm X
2. “It is wise to direct your anger towards problems — not people; to focus your energies on answers — not excuses.” ― William Arthur Ward
3. “Anybody can become angry — that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way — that is not within everybody’s power and is not easy.” ― Aristotle
4. “Anger, Tessa thought, was satisfying in its own way, when you gave in to it. There was something gratifying about shouting in a blind rage until your words ran out.” ― Cassandra Clare
5. “Anger based on calculated reason is more dangerous than anger based on blind hate.” ― Richelle Mead
6. “Anger is the prelude to courage.” ― Eric Hoffer
7. “Red-hot anger takes away a lot of the heartache.” ― Victoria Ashton
8. “The world needs more anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn’t angry enough.” ― Bede Jarrett
9. “Anger has its place, but it will not serve you here. The way of the warrior is the way of knowing. If that knowledge requires you to use anger, then you use anger, but you cannot wrest forth knowledge by losing your temper.” ― Christopher Paolini
10. “Anger was better than weeping.” ― Sophie Page
Mad quotes about the pitfalls of holding onto your anger
11. “Anger, resentment, and jealousy doesn’t change the heart of others—it only changes yours.” ― Shannon Alder
12. “Learn this from me. Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves.” ― Mitch Albom
13. “Never respond to an angry person with a fiery comeback, even if he deserves it…Don’t allow his anger to become your anger.” ― Bohdi Sanders
14. “Men in rage strike those that wish them best.” ― William Shakespeare
15. “Anger does not solve anything; it builds nothing.” ― Thomas S. Monson
16. “I came to realize that if people could make me angry, they could control me. Why should I give someone else such power over my life?” ― Ben Carson
17. “Anger is a brief madness.” ― Horace
18. “Anger is the wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.” ― Bodie Thoene
19. “Anger is the most impotent of passions. It affects nothing it goes about and hurts the one who is possessed by it more than the one against whom it is directed.” ― Carl Sandburg
20. “As soon as anger knocks at one’s door, wisdom prepares to leave.” ― Pawan Mishra
Meaningful mad quotes
21. “You can tell the size of a man by the size of the thing that makes him mad.” ― Adlai Stevenson I
22. “How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it.” ― Marcus Aurelius
23. “Don’t hold to anger, hurt, or pain. They steal your energy and keep you from love.” ― Leo Buscaglia
24. “There are two things a person should never be angry at, what they can help, and what they cannot.” ― Plato
25. “Never forget what a man says to you when he is angry.” ― Henry Ward Beecher
26. “Speak the truth, do not become angered and give when asked, even be it a little. By these three conditions, one goes to the presence of the gods.” ― Buddha Siddhartha Gautama Sakyamuni
27. “Anger at lies lasts forever. Anger at truth can’t last.” ― Greg Evans
28. “The greatest remedy for anger is delay.” ― Thomas Paine
29. “When angry, count ten before you speak; if very angry, a hundred.” ― Thomas Jefferson
30. “Strong anger can only make you weaker than you already are.” ― Munim Khan
31. “Never be angry with something that can’t get angry with you.” ― Jack Gardner
32. “True, sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between authentic anger and bullshit, and that’s why the following exercise is designed to help you express your resentments with integrity, and not with demoralizing bullshit.” ― Will Jelbert
33. “If you take action while you are mad, you will always make the wrong decision.” ― Robyn Wheeler
Mad quotes about fear and pain
34. “Most hatred is based on fear, one way or another. Yeah. I wrapped myself in anger, with a dash of hate, and at the bottom of it all was an icy center of pure terror.” ― Laurell K. Hamilton
35. “If you try to get rid of fear and anger without knowing their meaning, they will grow stronger and return.” ― Deepak Chopra
36. “Where there is anger, there is always pain underneath.” ― Eckhart Tolle
37. “Grief is pain internalized, abscess of the soul. Anger is pain as energy, sudden explosion.” ― Lauren Groff
38. “Tantrums are seldom about the thing they appear to be about.”― Diana Wynne Jones
39. “How often it is that the angry man rages denial of what his inner self is telling him.” ― Frank Herbert
40. “If you are driven by fear, anger, or pride, nature will force you to compete. If you are guided by courage, awareness, tranquility, and peace, nature will serve you.” ― Amit Ray
41. “You’re afraid of your own anger.” ― Kristin Cashore
42. “Anger prepares us to fight and fear prepares us to flee.” ― Chip Heath and Dan Heath
43. “At the heart of all anger, all grudges, and all resentment, you’ll always find a fear that hopes to stay anonymous.” ― Donald L. Hicks
44. “No reason to be angry. Anger just distracts from the all-encompassing sadness.” ― John Green
Mad quotes on forgiveness vs staying angry
45. “Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you are.” ― Cherie Carter-Scott
46. “Get mad, then get over it.” ― Colin Powell
47. “I was angry with my friend: I told my wrath, my wrath did end. I was angry with my foe: I told it not, my wrath did grow.” ― William Blake
48. “If sincere, an apology is strong enough to uproot anger, bitterness, and grudges instantly. Its benefits are unlimited since they tend to set everyone free!” ― Alis Cerrahyan
49. “The more anger towards the past you carry in your heart, the less capable you are of loving in the present.” ― Barbara De Angelis
50. “The madder it makes you, the harder you need to laugh at it.” ― Destiny Booze
What did you learn from these mad quotes?
If you have been holding onto anger that isn’t serving a greater purpose, I hope you are able to let it go. If you are angry about injustice or social outrage, I hope you channel it and use it to change things for the better. That is the best course any of us have when we are angered by things that we can make impactful change with.
Forgiveness can be a healthy thing because anger at another person only festers within ourselves. Oftentimes, the other person is unaware that we even harbor such feelings.
If you have a legitimate grievance with a person, then have a conversation. That will be a much better use of your time than letting anger bubble up inside you and spill into other areas of your life.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these mad quotes and sayings? Let us know your thoughts. And don’t forget to share any other anger and mad quotes you love in the comments below.
November 16, 2020 7:00 AM EST