Do you consider yourself petty?
These petty quotes will remind you not to blow things out of proportion.
Admit it or not, we’ve all been the petty one!
But what makes a person petty?
First, let’s define the term “petty.”
From the Old French term “petit” in the late 14th century, petty literally translates to “small,” “ittle” or “minor.”
In the late 15th century, petty evolved into a bit derogatory.
It means “of little or minor importance,” “not serious,” or “small-minded.”
Today, when someone calls you petty, they most likely mean you’re being childish or immature.
You’re also being petty when you’re overreacting or making a big deal out of something insignificant.
Does this sound like you or someone you know?
In any case, here are some petty quotes that will make you rethink how you respond to things and situations.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
Petty quotes about dealing with minor things
1. “Exemplary persons are steadfast in the face of adversity, while petty persons are engulfed by it.” — Confucius
You will also enjoy our article on hate quotes.
2. “Petty things become unimportant when people are impassioned about a purpose higher than self.” — Stephen Covey
You will also enjoy our article on haters quotes.
3. “Fill your brain with giant dreams so it has no space for petty pursuits.” — Robin Sharma
You will also enjoy our article on sarcastic quotes.
4. “Stop letting people who do so little for you control so much of your mind, feelings, and emotions.” — Will Smith
5. “My life is full of drama, and I don’t have time to worry about something as petty as what I look like.” — Adele
6. “Your energy, your spirit are important considerations. Feeling petty and frustrated can have reverberating consequences for your ability to think strategically and reach your goals.” ― Robert Greene
You will also enjoy our article on toxic people quotes.
7. “I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
8. “The art of giving orders is not to try to rectify the minor blunders and not to be swayed by petty doubts.” ― Sun Tzu
9. “Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don’t win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.” ― Richard Nixon
10. “By removing that which is petty and self-seeking, we bring forth all that is glorious and mindful of the whole.” — Eknath Easwaran
What do you think about these petty quotes? Which one can you relate to the most?
Remember, no one likes dealing with petty people.
This study even proves and cements that statement.
How to not be petty and be hated, you ask?
How about stopping and taking a step back before reacting?
Easier said than done for sure.
But like most difficult things, not sweating the small stuff takes practice.
Now, if you encounter pettiness, try not to be rude or dismissive of someone’s emotions.
Because we really don’t know what someone is dealing with.
Hope you enjoyed our top 10 petty quotes and sayings.
We’d love to know your thoughts on pettiness, so be sure to share them in the comments section below.