These haters quotes make the case for ignoring your hater or using their words to recognize how far you have come and go even further.
Haters are such an interesting part of any success story. If you have reached a point in your endeavors where people are taking notice, then you have likely encountered your first hater.
Who is a hater?
This is not the same as someone who offers you constructive feedback or critiques your work so it can be better. A hater is someone who comes out of nowhere, with what feels like a singular purpose—tearing you down. It can be incredibly frustrating the first time you encounter a hater, and you might ask yourself what you should do now!
There are many reasons people become haters, and these quotes shed some insight into why they are the way they are. It is not about you, so don’t take it personally.
Keep reading through these haters quotes to find out what to do about your haters.
Haters gonna hate quotes explaining why you should ignore them
1. “I don’t have time, energy, or interest in hating the haters; I’m too busy loving the lovers.” ― Dr. Steve Maraboli
2. “I don’t worry about the haters… They are just angry because the truth I speak contradicts the lie they live.” ― Steve Maraboli
3. “I treat my haters like AM radio, I just don’t listen to them.” ― Unknown
4. “The best way to counter-attack a hater is to make it blatantly obvious that their attack has had no impact on you.” ― Timothy Ferris
5. “Let go of the people who dull your shine, poison your spirit, and bring you drama. Cancel your subscription to their issues.” ― Dr. Steve Maraboli
6. “Be who you want to be and not care about what others think.” ― Andrew Biersack
7. “Remember that only God can judge us; forget the haters, because Somebody loves you.” ― Miley Cyrus
8. “No matter how good you are, someone is always going to be against you. But never let them be the limit of your success.” ― Terry Mark
9. “Don’t let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise the rent and kick them out.” ― Robert Tew
10. “Stop letting people who do so little for you control so much of your mind, feelings, and emotions.” ― Will Smith
11. “We can’t control the filters that others choose when they look at us.” ― Rachel Wolchin
12. “It’s not your job to like me—it’s mine.” ― Byron Katie
13. “The only thing more frustrating than slanderers is those foolish enough to listen to them.” ― Criss Jami
Haters quotes about jealousy
14. “Some people have so little going on in their lives, they would rather discuss yours.” ― Unknown
15. “Remember, people only rain on your parade because they’re jealous of your sun and tired of their shade.” ― Unknown
16. “Insecure people put others down to raise themselves up.” ― Habeeb Akande
17. “I think that everybody wants to be heard, and the easiest way to be the loudest is to be the hater.” ― Tavi Gevinson
18. “Hating is the sincerest form of flattery. ” ― Unknown
19. “They don’t hate you. They hate themselves and take it out on you. There’s a difference.” ― Ritu Ghatourey
20. “People who project negativity typically have low self-esteem. They feel badly about themselves, and their negativity is simply a reflection of those feelings.” ― Hendrie Weisinger
21. “Haters don’t hate you… The reality is, they fear that they will never be able to get to where you are right now.” ― Leah Remillet
22. “Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain… and most do.” ― Dale Carnegie
Positive haters quotes that prove they can help you grow
23. “Behind every successful person lies a pack of Haters! I love my haters!” ― Gloria Tesch
24. “Haters are my favorite. I’ve built an empire with the bricks they’ve thrown at me. Keep on hating.” ― C.M. Punk
25. “Haters teach you to be grateful for the people you love, hard times teach you to be grateful for the times that are good, and God, well God teaches you everything you need to know.” ― Carniel Dunlop
26. “Haters may push you but determination will give you the keys to drive.” ― Gee Linder
27. “There will always be haters. And the more you grow, the more they hate; the more they hate the more you grow.” ― Anthony Liccione
28. “Having haters is just a part of the business, and the more haters you have, the more people like you—that’s how I view it because I try to see the positive in things.” ― Nick Jonas
29. “Learn to use the criticism as fuel and you will never run out of energy.” ― Orrin Woodward
30. “Wish all your enemies a long life, so they can see you succeed in life.” ― Nishan Panwar
31. “Being judged by others means that you’re that important that they have the time to think about you and talk about you.” ― Unknown
32. “Don’t think that just because you made it to the next level that the haters and naysayers disappear. Remember, new levels bring new devils.” ― Dr. Steve Maraboli
Haters quotes about hating and its effects
33. “Fear of something is at the root of hate for others, and hate within will eventually destroy the hater.” ― George Washington Carver
34. “Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” ― Coretta Scott King
35. “Hate hurts the hater more’n the hated.” ― Madeleine L’Engle
36. “People who hate you because of a mere jealousy over your success hurt themselves in disguise. This is because you carry an image of who they wish they had become. Don’t hate them back because they may also become like you one day and it will mean hurting that image you carry!” ― Israelmore Ayivor
37. “Often those that criticize others reveal what he himself lacks.” ― Shannon L. Alder
38. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ― Martin Luther King, Jr.
39. “A haters job is to hate you, and they stay on their job 24/7. So, if you’re expecting them to clock out, and leave you alone think again.” ― Sonya Parker
40. “Isn’t it kind of silly to think that tearing someone else down builds you up?” ― Sean Covey
Haters quotes and sayings about who they are and what they feel
41. “Respect your haters, they’re the ones who think you’re better than them.” ― Unknown
42. “Pride attracts more haters and brings less friends.” ― Unknown
43. “The hated man is the result of his hater’s pride rather than his hater’s conscience.” ― Criss Jami
44. “Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.” ― Nishan Panwar
45. “Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim.” ― Unknown
46. “Haters are the people who will broadcast your failures and whisper your success.” ― Will Smith
47. “Haters, like parrots, talk much but cannot fly. Dreamers, like eagles, say nothing but conquer the skies.” ― Unknown
48. “Haters and bullies are always cowards, you know. They like to pick on little guys.” ― Scylar Tyberius
49. “Expect while reaching for the stars, people to whirl by with their dark clouds and storm upon you.” ― Anthony Liccione
50. “Most haters are stuck in a poisonous mental prison of jealousy and self-doubt that blinds them to their own potentiality.” ― Dr. Steve Maraboli
More haters quotes to ponder on
51. “Save your skin from the corrosive acids from the mouths of toxic people. Someone who just helped you to speak evil about another person can later help another person to speak evil about you.” ― Israelmore Ayivor
52. “Be so good they can’t ignore you.” ― Steve Martin
53. “Always remember… Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.” ― Ziad K. Abdelnour
54. “I don’t chase after anyone, if you wanna walk out of my life, then I’ll hold the fucking door open for you.” ― Wiz Khalifa
55. “Protect your good image from the eyes of negative viewers, who may look at your good appearance with an ugly fiendish eye, and ruin your positive qualities with their chemical infested tongues.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
56. “Those who pray for your downfall are concentrating negative thoughts towards you, without taking cognisance of the slippery ground in which they are standing, which could lead to their downfall.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
57. “The moment you have to recruit people to put another person down, in order to convince someone of your value is the day you dishonor your children, your parents and your God. If someone doesn’t see your worth the problem is them, not people outside your relationship.” ― Shannon L. Alder
58. “Haters are my favorite. I´ve built an empire with the bricks they´ve thrown at me. Keep on hating…” ― CM Punk
59. “(To the haters) You are not extinguishing the bright lights of mankind, you’re simply burying yourself in an unmarked grave.” ― Stefan Molyneux
60. “Don’t think for one minute that you are any less worthy of love and peace and harmony just because of all the hate spewed by human devils. Because that is what those haters are, you know, devils!” ― Scylar Tyberius
Haters quotes that are loaded with wisdom
61.“When we don’t know who to hate, we hate ourselves.” ― Chuck Palahniuk
62. “I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.” ― James Baldwin
63. “In time we hate that which we often fear.” ― William Shakespeare
64. “It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get.” ― Confucius
65. “Hate can be a deeply stimulating emotion. The world becomes easier to understand and much less terrifying if you divide everything and everyone into friends and enemies, we and they, good and evil.” ― Fredrik Backman
66. “Most hatred is based on fear, one way or another. Yeah. I wrapped myself in anger, with a dash of hate, and at the bottom of it all was an icy center of pure terror.” ― Laurell K. Hamilton
67. “The man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
68. “Hate is a lack of imagination.” ― Graham Greene
69. “Hate is… It’s too easy. Love. Love takes courage.” ― Hannah Harrington
70. “From the deepest desires often come the deadliest hate.” ― Socrates
What did you learn from these haters quotes?
I remember when I encountered my first real hater. I had just written a vulnerable piece that was my attempt at seeing my traumatic childhood through the eyes of my mother. It was raw, poignant, and enlightening for me. I felt it would be helpful to others who were trying to process their trauma.
Then this woman, who clearly didn’t read the article, came at me from so many angles. I wanted to cry, but my skin had gotten thicker by this point (writing will do that to you!). Instead, I reached out to a mentor who wanted to help me grow.
I told Jeff Moore, CEO of Everyday Power, that her words had hit a nerve and I was hurt and angry. He told me, “It stings because it is new, not because it is true.” This is such a brilliant piece of truth. Nothing about her comment was true, this was just the first time someone had felt so strongly about my words that they couldn’t stop their own reaction.
That has always been my goal, to elicit an emotional response from my reader, I just hadn’t expected that one. Jeff followed that up with, “We think we want more fans, but what we need is more haters! Congrats!” You can read more about why having your first hater is a congratulatory moment in this article.
Before you go though, feel free to share the story about your first hater in the comment section below. Don’t forget to also mention any other favorite haters quotes and sayings.
May 3, 2022 5:00 AM EST